B777LRF

Re: Fiji Airways orders 2 A350s

Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 am

When an airline who've just bought an aircraft says something, it's usually worth listening to. FJ themselves mentioned MAA and ORD, which gives us a very good picture of the expected maximum performance:

So around 6000-6300NM of GC range. That's about 6.5-7.0 in real life. With 33/30something config, that looks like a 272+ MTOW bird, given that FJ probably wish to use those big holds to haul a fair bit of cargo as well. JFK may be possible, but maybe not with the payload FJ wishes to haul.
Signature. You just read one.

ZK-NBT

Fri May 03, 2019 11:08 am

[twoid][/twoid]
B777LRF wrote:
When an airline who've just bought an aircraft says something, it's usually worth listening to. FJ themselves mentioned MAA and ORD, which gives us a very good picture of the expected maximum performance:

So around 6000-6300NM of GC range. That's about 6.5-7.0 in real life. With 33/30something config, that looks like a 272+ MTOW bird, given that FJ probably wish to use those big holds to haul a fair bit of cargo as well. JFK may be possible, but maybe not with the payload FJ wishes to haul.

Can you point others to where FJ said that? All I’ve seen is some US and Australia services.

Lufthansa

Fri May 03, 2019 6:14 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
timpdx wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

....?

5,519 mi. ~ 10 hr flight... the A350 has more than enough range? It's already run by an A330.

And an A333 at that. Just flew them last week. LAX-NAN-SYD. A332 on the return. Packed flights. It took 11 hrs LAX-NAN. I would jave thought the NEO would be right up their alley, maybe they got a deal.

Lots of Indian nationals on the island, maybe MAA is not so far fetched.

I have worked with a lot of Fijian Indians over the years and nearly all of them have never been to India. There are a lot in Australia. The idea of a flight to Chennai astounds me.

QF don't even fly to India despite the huge diaspora in Australia.

China is my bet.

There's a good reason for that. There's no money in it, in a notoriously low yielding market. QF offered a fare as fare as Singapore with a connection to 9W but that's obviously going to be a problem now. AI.... well if you have ever had to deal with them say no more. IF QF returns I suspect it would be via JQ. The business traffic has multiple options on SQ TG and MH, going one stop with short connections and excellent products, and the VFR market is picking up cheap deals on china southern, air Asia etc. QF can easily make more buy sending a 747 to HNL or Japan that. In short, they have to place their assets in markets they can compete in. Coming in the other direction BA has the benefit of feed from the USA. Australia...it just has New Zealand.

jetsetterusa

Fri May 03, 2019 6:40 pm

it will be nice if they try for DFW
Crazy Day Tripper

Planes4you

Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 pm

jetsetterusa wrote:

They said it can reach DFW, but they said they don’t have a any new route plans however imo I think they’re foreshadowing future routes. Anyway DFW is possible considering Fj and AA has a pretty good relationship, and it would do great in the summer.

ZK-NBT

Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Planes4you wrote:
jetsetterusa wrote:

They said it can reach DFW, but they said they don’t have a any new route plans however imo I think they’re foreshadowing future routes. Anyway DFW is possible considering Fj and AA has a pretty good relationship, and it would do great in the summer.

So someone says they have said ORD/MAA have been mentioned, and now they don’t have any new routes planned? Which is it? DFW/ORD is TBH dreaming more like YVR if anything in North America, and then PVG in Asia.

strfyr51

K

Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
qf002 wrote:
Forget about LAX, I'm more interested in NAN-JFK (which is probably stretching it in FJ's configuration).

I would think FJ would try a routing like NAN-LAX-JFK before they tried to fly NAN-JFK

We/ll ? They put their hat in the ring so there's only one way to find out! I doubt if they'll make NAN- JFK but they should make NAN- ORD for sure. At least East bound but I wonder what alternate they use for west bound.. I would imagine GUM and re-file there if the fuel is ok. Just like United used NAN as a re-file for SFO- SYD..

jupiter2

Re: K

Sat May 04, 2019 12:25 am

strfyr51 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
qf002 wrote:
Forget about LAX, I'm more interested in NAN-JFK (which is probably stretching it in FJ's configuration).

I would think FJ would try a routing like NAN-LAX-JFK before they tried to fly NAN-JFK

We/ll ? They put their hat in the ring so there's only one way to find out! I doubt if they'll make NAN- JFK but they should make NAN- ORD for sure. At least East bound but I wonder what alternate they use for west bound.. I would imagine GUM and re-file there if the fuel is ok. Just like United used NAN as a re-file for SFO- SYD..

Guam ? It's almost 5000km from Nadi. The routes not going to happen but the options would be PPG or NOU I would imagine, maybe even SUV in a pinch, but I don't know what the restrictions would be for there.

These aircraft are only going to up gauge LAX, SYD and AKL and free up the 330's for other routes, but there aren't going to be a whole lot of new routes, if any.

Galwayman

Sat May 04, 2019 1:58 am

Love Fiji Airways, one of my favourite flying experiences

Throwing a real curve ball here ... but from a network planning point of view would be interesting to see them attempt a three times weekly flight to GRU ... trans Pacific fares to OZ and NZ are very high and Fijians network might feed it . They can also offer one stop to SIN etc ....

Highly unlikely I know ...

sibibom

Sat May 04, 2019 3:23 am

Will London be an option? They are after all a Commonwealth nation....

ZK-NBT

Sat May 04, 2019 3:25 am

sibibom wrote:
Will London be an option? They are after all a Commonwealth nation....

I’ll say absolutely not, to aircraft and crew intensive that’s the whole point of feeding HKG/SIN etc.

xwb565

Sat May 04, 2019 3:40 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
jetsetterusa wrote:

So someone says they have said ORD/MAA have been mentioned, and now they don’t have any new routes planned? Which is it? DFW/ORD is TBH dreaming more like YVR if anything in North America, and then PVG in Asia.

Just read the thread.... I have linked their press conference and clearly mentioned that they have no expansion news but stated during the conference that the aircraft can reach those destinations.

aerokiwi

Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 am

jupiter2 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

Guam ? It's almost 5000km from Nadi. The routes not going to happen but the options would be PPG or NOU I would imagine, maybe even SUV in a pinch, but I don't know what the restrictions would be for there.

These aircraft are only going to up gauge LAX, SYD and AKL and free up the 330's for other routes, but there aren't going to be a whole lot of new routes, if any.

Yup that's how I'm seeing this too - upgauging. But why they need to go for an entirely new type is beyond me. Surely the 330neo is a lower risk option. Or even just a swap of 330-200s to -300s. Always a risk these smaller Pacific Island airlines get a little carried away and unnecessarily "complexify" their fleets. Though if anyone was gonna pull it off, it's FJ.

VTCIE

Sat May 04, 2019 5:55 am

Why, in God’s name, is MAA even entering the discussion here? The ONLY airlines from island nations serving MAA are UL, Q2 (Maldivian), UU (Air Austral) and MK. (Not counting Singaporean airlines and Batik Air.)

These are all in the Indian Ocean. Why will a Pacific airline want to fly to MAA, of all places?! I don’t get it.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

mr02

Sat May 04, 2019 6:11 am

There were rumors that the Hong Kong jets would go to SA.

CRJ900

Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 am

VTCIE wrote:
Why, in God’s name, is MAA even entering the discussion here? The ONLY airlines from island nations serving MAA are UL, Q2 (Maldivian), UU (Air Austral) and MK. (Not counting Singaporean airlines and Batik Air.)

These are all in the Indian Ocean. Why will a Pacific airline want to fly to MAA, of all places?! I don’t get it.

A lot of people in Fiji has Indian heritage, maybe many come from the area around MAA and thus there is a certain VFR potential...?

I'm sure DTW and MIA would be sure-fire candidates for new US routes ;)
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Polot

Sat May 04, 2019 10:42 am

aerokiwi wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

Yup that's how I'm seeing this too - upgauging. But why they need to go for an entirely new type is beyond me. Surely the 330neo is a lower risk option. Or even just a swap of 330-200s to -300s. Always a risk these smaller Pacific Island airlines get a little carried away and unnecessarily "complexify" their fleets. Though if anyone was gonna pull it off, it's FJ.

Probably a mix of availability and price. The delivery schedule indicates they are taking over someone else’s frames.

LaunchDetected

Sat May 04, 2019 10:48 am

mr02 wrote:

There is several others undelivered Hong Kong A350. But wasn't SA on the edge of collapsing?
Caravelle lover

mr02

Sun May 05, 2019 4:23 am

LaunchDetected wrote:
mr02 wrote:

There is several others undelivered Hong Kong A350. But wasn't SA on the edge of collapsing?

Yes,no ,idk. SA is state owned,so I doubt they'd let it go under(the government). But the jets I'm talking about are leased from aercap and SA and aercap have a good relationship. SA leases their a346 from them so I can see aercap taking to and giving them 2 a350s

DominoxX

Sun May 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Maybe, just maybe, SCL? Only history is LA flew in the 70s and 80s
Thank u, next.

Ishrion

Mon May 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Breathe

Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm

VTCIE wrote:

A large proportion of the population is of Indian decent.

Breathe

Mon May 06, 2019 3:39 pm

mr02 wrote:
LaunchDetected wrote:
mr02 wrote:

Yes,no ,idk. SA is state owned,so I doubt they'd let it go under(the government). But the jets I'm talking about are leased from aercap and SA and aercap have a good relationship. SA leases their a346 from them so I can see aercap taking to and giving them 2 a350s

Haven't AerCap received and leased all of their A350's though?

mcg

Mon May 06, 2019 5:19 pm

First, it's pretty amazing that just a few years ago FJ's long haul fleet was two third-hand 744's and a shopworn 767. Soon it will be 3 A330 and 2 A350, pretty significant change.

Second, FJ must be planning on a pretty significant uptick in Fiji tourism as they are substantially increasing the number of seats they will need to fill.

ZK-NBT

Mon May 06, 2019 9:12 pm

mcg wrote:
First, it's pretty amazing that just a few years ago FJ's long haul fleet was two third-hand 744's and a shopworn 767. Soon it will be 3 A330 and 2 A350, pretty significant change.

Second, FJ must be planning on a pretty significant uptick in Fiji tourism as they are substantially increasing the number of seats they will need to fill.

6 A330 you mean. A fair bit of growth though for a small airline.

VTCIE

Tue May 07, 2019 9:45 am

Breathe wrote:
VTCIE wrote:

This does not necessitate a flight to India! NH has announced MAA after months of negotiations, and you want a tiny airline like FJ to fly as far afield as India (even though it is in Oneworld)?!

I do not think FJ will fly the A350 further than Singapore. In any case, it will fly only to LAX and SYD.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

Breathe

Tue May 07, 2019 2:06 pm

VTCIE wrote:
Breathe wrote:
VTCIE wrote:

This does not necessitate a flight to India! NH has announced MAA after months of negotiations, and you want a tiny airline like FJ to fly as far afield as India (even though it is in Oneworld)?!

I do not think FJ will fly the A350 further than Singapore. In any case, it will fly only to LAX and SYD.

You asked:

Why, in God’s name, is MAA even entering the discussion here?

I gave you a response as to why MAA entered the discussion.

As to:

and you want a tiny airline like FJ to fly as far afield as India

Where do I suggest that I want this airline to fly to India in my reply?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos