EmoticonsAllDay
Topic Author

Sri Lankan Airlines puts flight marshals on planes, tourist numbers to drop by 500,000

Sat May 04, 2019 12:17 pm

..........the state-owned carrier was looking to bring air marshals on board some flights.

..........a drop in visitor numbers to the island nation following the attacks would be inevitable

"In the turnaround plan that we submitted to the government, we were expecting to reach a breakeven situation in three years time"

Source: https://www.euronews.com/amp/2019/05/03 ... by-500-000

With or without the bombings, the current situation at UL would never have allowed turnaround in 3 years. They were doing much better when Emirates had shares in them. The irony is they are looking for a private investor again.

anshabhi

Re: Sri Lankan Airlines puts flight marshals on planes, tourist numbers to drop by 500,000

Sat May 04, 2019 12:53 pm

Air Marshals seems too much. Strong airport security is the way.

Avgeek21

Re: Sri Lankan Airlines puts flight marshals on planes, tourist numbers to drop by 500,000

Sat May 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Maybe they have some info that we don’t have. Who knows. Airport security is fine at CMB. I’ve been there many times.

This will massively hurt Sri Lanka’s tourism. Just when they were finding their feet. I can already see that the loads on our company have noticably dropped. I know it’s a snapshot but still ‘ouch’...

9w748capt

Sat May 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Yeah this is really going to hurt Sri Lanka but the government has no one to blame but themselves. My wife and I even looked at going to SL for an upcoming anniversary but now? Not a chance. Which is too bad - seems like there really are some unique and luxurious experiences to be had there. Not sure if anyone here has stayed at Cape Weligama but the pictures are just stunning.

TC957

Sat May 04, 2019 4:35 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Yeah this is really going to hurt Sri Lanka but the government has no one to blame but themselves. My wife and I even looked at going to SL for an upcoming anniversary but now? Not a chance. Which is too bad - seems like there really are some unique and luxurious experiences to be had there. Not sure if anyone here has stayed at Cape Weligama but the pictures are just stunning.

It's sad that you think like that, because it means the terrorists have won. Think about the poor innocent people hurt by tourists staying away.
I have clients on a tour & stay vacation going in August and they are rightly determined to still go unless the security situation worsens and spreads far outside of Colombo itself.

9w748capt

Sat May 04, 2019 4:42 pm

TC957 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

It's sad that you think like that, because it means the terrorists have won. Think about the poor innocent people hurt by tourists staying away.
I have clients on a tour & stay vacation going in August and they are rightly determined to still go unless the security situation worsens and spreads far outside of Colombo itself.

No I totally agree. We went to Paris in January 2016 right after their major terrorist attacks, and a major consideration was exactly that - F the terrorists. I do feel bad for the Sri Lankan people because they're the ones that will suffer. But the astounding thing to me was the utter incompetence from the Sri Lankan intelligence services. Even India had warned them ahead of time and let's be honest it's not like India hasn't had it's failures (everyone has).

TC957

Sat May 04, 2019 8:19 pm

You can bet the Sri Lankan authorities won't make that mistake again over their intelligence failures. Sad that so many innocents had to die to wake them up though. I hope UL pull through the lean times they will inevitably have now, and that you have a fab holiday to Cape Weligana, it's one of the top boutique hotels anywhere.

Motorhussy

Sun May 05, 2019 3:02 am

Totally agree with the drop in tourist numbers. We’ve cancelled a large gathering there in August due to insurance issues and work vetoes. I’m sure many others are in the same boat.

An incredible insult to injury following the tragic events of Easter. We’d really have liked to support the nation but can’t.

And I was looking forward to flying Sri Lankan for the first time.
Last edited by Motorhussy on Sun May 05, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
come visit the south pacific

OGLOBAL

Sun May 05, 2019 3:05 am

i was also planning to for my partner's bday in june but we decided to cancel .. yes i understand those things happened but in other places i.e you could trust the police intelligence it just seems that security and intelligence were a big failure in this case .. you would imagine a country that suffered a long history of " civil war " to be a little more secure .. hopefully things change for the better ..

gardermoen

Sun May 05, 2019 4:38 am

I feels that number could be a lot higher if this ground situation in Sri Lanka cannot be swiftly resolved.
UL should perhaps focus on being a 5th freedom carrier like they did years ago.
Feel so sorry for Sri Lanka, it came so far and for this to suddenly be taken away like that.
Solidarity with the beautiful country and its people and that all those who were planning to go, to still keep it in mind.

keesje

Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 am

Sad, sad sad. A similar thing happened to Kenia Airways. Did terrorism work? So unfair it seems.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

c933103

Sun May 05, 2019 1:54 pm

At least this time they probably will not have effort to go for that overly ambitious plan which will probably kill itself...
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

OA260

Sun May 05, 2019 3:33 pm

9w748capt wrote:

Certainly understand your view on this and its a shame. I have been twice and its a lovely country with so much to see. Lovely resorts and tours. I remember the first time I went shortly after there was a terror attack on the airport totally destroying 2-3 aircraft one a new A330. They certainly need to make sure they increase their ability to stop attacks in future.

9w748capt

Sun May 05, 2019 7:17 pm

OA260 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Certainly understand your view on this and its a shame. I have been twice and its a lovely country with so much to see. Lovely resorts and tours. I remember the first time I went shortly after there was a terror attack on the airport totally destroying 2-3 aircraft one a new A330. They certainly need to make sure they increase their ability to stop attacks in future.

Agree it is really sad. I'd looked into it quite a bit and SL seems like really an amazing place with a lot to offer. From the national parks to stunning beaches, not to mention the amazing food. We were really looking forward to it. A few of my Indian relatives have been and really enjoyed it.

Feroze

Sun May 05, 2019 10:51 pm

TC957 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Indeed it is sad but, for example, the UK Foreign Office has changed its advice in the last week to "The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka, due to the current evolving security situation following attacks on 21 April 2019. This advice does not apply if transiting Colombo airport, providing that passengers remain airside in the airport."

This means that any travel insurance from a UK provider will not cover a visitor to Sri Lanka. I should have been going to the country in the next couple of weeks but I'm afraid that I cannot go without insurance cover.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sri-lanka

ArchGuy1

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:49 am

Most foreign governments, including those of the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, Singapore, and Australia lifted their advisories against non essential travel or to reconsider travel to Sri Lanka in June. However, the government of Hong Kong has its advisory for Sri Lanka at a Red Outbound Travel Alert, meaning avoid non essential travel.

abrelosojos

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 am

It will be fine. They will go through the usual cycle - the Indians will return first, and then others will come. Sri Lanka really needs to send a note of thanks to the Indians. Same cycle happened during the last 2 violent cycles.

Saludos,
Alex

PS: As an airline, UL is a joke of a management though.
Live, and let live.

TC957

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:16 am

I had clients just come back from a tour & beach holiday there and they reported having an amazing time, absolutely loved all aspects of the trip.
Had no issues at all, in fact locals went above & beyond for them.

oceanvikram

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 pm

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
..........the state-owned carrier was looking to bring air marshals on board some flights.

..........a drop in visitor numbers to the island nation following the attacks would be inevitable

"In the turnaround plan that we submitted to the government, we were expecting to reach a breakeven situation in three years time"

Source: https://www.euronews.com/amp/2019/05/03 ... by-500-000

With or without the bombings, the current situation at UL would never have allowed turnaround in 3 years. They were doing much better when Emirates had shares in them. The irony is they are looking for a private investor again.

I remember flying Sri Lankan from Singapore to New Delhi via Colombo return. Boy was I impressed, never thought a South Asian airline could be up there with the best in terms of equipment and service. Flew Air India a couple of years later (even though I promised I would not fly them), cabin service was ok and the food was great (well I am an Indian ethnic after all) however everything else was terrible and now will not fly them again for a long time. A few years later flew Jet Airways, below average even though the ticket costed the same as Singapore Airlines.

For some reason South Asia cannot create a decent airline. But then again most of the world’s poor live in this region and would naturally be price sensitive and would not care much for service.

I hope Sri Lankan will be able to get back to its former glory, but then this is South Asia and corruption is the standard modus operandi.
My comments are based as an aviation enthusiast first, then as a passenger who paid for his own ticket, after that a passenger on a business trip and finally an armchair CEO.

oldannyboy

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:17 pm

Guys, as someone who has been to SL a number of times -and LOVES the country and the AMAZING people- my suggestion is to GO, and forget all about the much publicized terrorist attacks. SL is a surprisingly friendly and safe place. yes, there have been terrorist attacks, but just like any other place....London, Paris, Mumbai...
And as other have said: if you don't go, then the terrorists win. YOU let them win. Also: do remember that these days nowhere in the world is safe....not even staying home is safe....
SL is one AMAZING country..... the scenery, the food, the people, the heritage.... it's simply beautiful.

bobsmith99

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:55 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
oldannyboy wrote:
Guys, as someone who has been to SL a number of times -and LOVES the country and the AMAZING people- my suggestion is to GO, and forget all about the much publicized terrorist attacks. SL is a surprisingly friendly and safe place. yes, there have been terrorist attacks, but just like any other place....London, Paris, Mumbai...
And as other have said: if you don't go, then the terrorists win. YOU let them win. Also: do remember that these days nowhere in the world is safe....not even staying home is safe....
SL is one AMAZING country..... the scenery, the food, the people, the heritage.... it's simply beautiful.

I couldn't agree with you more olddannnyboy. Spectaluarly gorgeous country with wonderful folks. Terrorist attacks can happen anywhere. Look at the U.S. with all of these random mass shootings. To your point- nowhere is 100% safe.

texdravid

Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:46 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:
i was also planning to for my partner's bday in june but we decided to cancel .. yes i understand those things happened but in other places i.e you could trust the police intelligence it just seems that security and intelligence were a big failure in this case .. you would imagine a country that suffered a long history of " civil war " to be a little more secure .. hopefully things change for the better ..

That's the thing. Sri Lanka basically was in a state of civil war for the better part of three decades. You would think that the Sri Lankan government, of all people, would have a siege mentality about terror threats of any kind.

Their complete and utter failure last Easter continues to shock me.

Finally, I don't think avoiding Sri Lanka is punishing their citizens or "the terrorists have won". It is a comeuppance for the crappy Sri Lankan government to get their acts together, and the citizenry to demand it! Once done, then Sri Lanka can get back to their tourism.

Tourism and safety are inseparable in this day and age of terrorism. Make the country safe and do your job, and maybe you won't have to worry about tourists staying away.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

BlatantEcho

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 am

I spent some time in Sri Lanka in 2017. Drove all around the island for a week.

I didn’t see why people are so into it. Is it because it is far away from most things?
It’s one of the few places in the world I’ve been that I have zero desire to ever return to. My friend with me felt the same.

I would *never* skip a place for terrorism / violence / unrest. Those things happen all over the world all the time. (I’ve got 2 trips booked to HKG shortly and I can’t wait to go back!).
So, no one will like this but, it’s my opinion:
But, I would skip a place that isn’t a nice destination in general. So, I say skip Sri Lanka for different reasons than terrorism!

Coal

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:30 am

I'm going to Sri Lanka at the end of this week for a couple of days. Very much looking forward to it!
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

oldannyboy

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:20 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

I didn’t see why people are so into it. Is it because it is far away from most things?
It’s one of the few places in the world I’ve been that I have zero desire to ever return to. My friend with me felt the same.

I would *never* skip a place for terrorism / violence / unrest. Those things happen all over the world all the time. (I’ve got 2 trips booked to HKG shortly and I can’t wait to go back!).
But, I would skip a place that isn’t a nice destination in general. So, I say skip Sri Lanka for different reasons than terrorism!

Wow. Just saw your post, and BOY am I surprised! I love HK too, fantastic place, but I still do fail entirely to see how one would prefer to go back to HK, which basically is just a cement forest of high buildings and shopping malls with very little greenery or anything even remotely natural that's not untouched.... Sri Lanka has amazing natural wonders, rich biodiversity, mountains, plateaus, highlands, amazing historical riches, incredible beaches, fantastic cuisine and a spectacular climate.... Hong Kong is a fun, cool city that's good for shopping and very little else..... maybe 'high tea' at the Mandarin Oriental??

Coal

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:16 am

oldannyboy wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

Wow. Just saw your post, and BOY am I surprised! I love HK too, fantastic place, but I still do fail entirely to see how one would prefer to go back to HK, which basically is just a cement forest of high buildings and shopping malls with very little greenery or anything even remotely natural that's not untouched.... Sri Lanka has amazing natural wonders, rich biodiversity, mountains, plateaus, highlands, amazing historical riches, incredible beaches, fantastic cuisine and a spectacular climate.... Hong Kong is a fun, cool city that's good for shopping and very little else..... maybe 'high tea' at the Mandarin Oriental??

Posts like these make me wish this site had a like button.

:thumbsup:
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

oldannyboy

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:37 am

Coal wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

Posts like these make me wish this site had a like button.

:ro

:thumbsup:

:rotfl: :checkmark:

peterinlisbon

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:38 am

It's always a good idea to listen to these government advisories because they will tell you where not to go AFTER something bad happens there.

hohd

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:16 pm

The failure of Sri Lankan intelligence was partly due to a fight between the President and the Prime Minister. The President was trying oust the democratically elected PM but failed. There was communications failure, the PM office was unaware of any intelligence till the last day. Indians have largely returned and now it is up to the rest of the world. Right now Sri Lanka may be safer than going to US, as situation is dangerous now in US, random shootings by crazed right wing lunatics and easy availability of all kinds of guns including automatics, egged on by the President and many state governors, especially Texas.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos