UA857
Topic Author
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:41 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 5:02 am

Is DEN-NRT the only Asian flight out of DEN currently?
 
UA444
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 8:16 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Going even more OT, IMO CO should've made a move for F9. They had quite an extensive codeshare, complementary fleets and networks, and CO really wanted to get back in to DEN. Before the UA merger, there were rumors that if UA dumped DEN during bankruptcy, that CO would be all over it like white on rice.

Why would they have dumped DEN, which was pretty consistently the largest hub not named Chicago? And even if they had, CO sure as heck wasn’t just going to be able to waltz in the front door without a fight from WN, DL, F9, and AA.
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 12:21 pm

intotheair wrote:
The new Frontier started up again with some used 732s and 733s before it moved to an all-new A318/319 fleet..."


F9 started ops in 1994 with 737-200s. The 737-300s began arriving in Oct 1995...they were well past start-up status by that time, IMHO.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K
 
codc10
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 1:15 pm

UA857 wrote:
The reason why I wrote this article is because with UA starting DEN-FRA service recently and I want to know if the legacy UA (1990s) operated any long haul flights of DEN?


As noted, brief stints of 777s on DEN-LHR/FRA were the extent of legacy UAL longhaul service from DEN. NRT was a post-merger add and now LHR is seasonal service. If UA can add a winter LHR slot, year-round DEN service is on the list. Year-round FRA is about to launch.

All current DEN longhaul service is 787-8.

Down the road, I think ZRH, CDG, AMS are candidates, at least with seasonal service. More Asia is less likely, IMO, without another JV partner hub to feed.
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 4:04 pm

codc10 wrote:
UA857 wrote:
The reason why I wrote this article is because with UA starting DEN-FRA service recently and I want to know if the legacy UA (1990s) operated any long haul flights of DEN?


As noted, brief stints of 777s on DEN-LHR/FRA were the extent of legacy UAL longhaul service from DEN. NRT was a post-merger add and now LHR is seasonal service. If UA can add a winter LHR slot, year-round DEN service is on the list. Year-round FRA is about to launch.

All current DEN longhaul service is 787-8.

Down the road, I think ZRH, CDG, AMS are candidates, at least with seasonal service. More Asia is less likely, IMO, without another JV partner hub to feed.


Not sure if you know, but I seem to have a memory that the reason UA didn't use smaller planes to Europe (and hence why outside the summer season they did not fly year round to Europe) was two fold; 1) premium config of the 767-300s. 2) but also the 767s would have performance issues to Europe with DEN's elevation? Maybe with tyre speeds? I might be mis-remembering.
 
codc10
Posts: 2538
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 6:11 pm

airzim wrote:
Not sure if you know, but I seem to have a memory that the reason UA didn't use smaller planes to Europe (and hence why outside the summer season they did not fly year round to Europe) was two fold; 1) premium config of the 767-300s. 2) but also the 767s would have performance issues to Europe with DEN's elevation? Maybe with tyre speeds? I might be mis-remembering.


Without looking at performance numbers I have to believe a 763 would have trouble eastbound from DEN, especially in the summer when the demand is highest. DEN wasn't nearly as developed an international market 10-15 years ago, either, and as you correctly note, UA's international 763s were rather premium-dense.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 7:06 pm

Stapleton was great except for the delays. Great place to work too. The 3 airlines there were a sight to see. We used to be at the end of 'C' Concourse and watch the tornadoes form and move towards where DIA/DEN is now.

"It is the location of Continental Airlines' largest hub, and United Airlines' second largest hub. United also has their National Flight Training Center
in Denver, and Continental uses Stapleton as its second largest employment center. Another major airline using Stapleton is Frontier, which has its main headquarters in Denver." Frontier's biggest hub also.

Image

Image
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
wernerga3
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
The Denver hub in the 1990s was amazing on United!! I got to fly 747s, DC10s, and 767s all over the place. The service and customer care was great back then on United. Now they seem to have taken a more CO stance to domestic flying out of DEN and it is mostly 737s. Very few wide bodies. It is crazy that there is not one wide body between DEN and ORD. I never would have guessed that with what I used to fly between the two hubs in the 1990s and 2000s.United Airlines was such a great airline for me to fly before merging with CO. Was a great airline.


I grab 788s out of DEN on United domestically often. DEN-IAD is currently running it. I get it though- wide body planes are getting harder and harder to get on domestically unless there is a repositioning flight.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Wed May 08, 2019 6:03 am

jsnww81 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

Where in the world did you come up with this misinformation ? Stapleton's own history...

' By the early 1990s, Concourses A and B were exclusively used by United and United Express, Continental used most of Concourses C and D, and most other airlines moved to Concourse E.'


Sorry, brother, but he's right. United started taking gates on E during the last few years Stapleton was open. I have a photo of a United 737 parked on E that I took myself in March 1993: http://www.aviationphotographs.net/StapletonAirport/JamieSullivan/jamie-007.jpg

See also this Stapleton map from February 1993: http://www.aviationphotographs.net/StapletonAirport/JamieSullivan/jamie-009.jpg

Sometimes you gotta look beyond the airport history page on Wikipedia.


Sorry brother, read what was written again. I never said United wasn't at E Concourse. Like there is reading comprehension problems in this age.
My point was and is they were never at C Concourse, especially not C 2. Mexicana used it for their flights, we did some of their maintenance. Never ever saw a old United aircraft park there at C-2.
Worked there, flew in there don't care what that Stapleton map shows. Here's some other Stapleton gate maps, no United in C Concourse.
I'll ask the guys who were there till the bitter end of Stapleton, but unless you have a picture of a old UAL airliner at a C Concourse gate, nope, didn't happen.
Sometimes you have to go beyond your own precious internet.

Image

Image

Image
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Wed May 08, 2019 6:11 am

United1 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

midway7 wrote:
At the end of the Stapleton days, UA began a bit of a ramp up, with the reductions of the CO hub. Towards the end of Stapleton, UA was using gates in the C and E concourses, as well as their long home in A and B. Some of the additional gates probably allowed them to bank more flights at peak transfer times. They transferred about 300 daily flights to DIA in Feb 1995.


Where in the world did you come up with this misinformation ? Stapleton's own history...

' By the early 1990s, Concourses A and B were exclusively used by United and United Express, Continental used most of Concourses C and D, and most other airlines moved to Concourse E.'


A and B concourses at Stapleton were definitely UAs main operations at DEN but towards the end UA did have 6 or 7 gates in E concourse. I don't remember UA being in C or D however.

https://imgur.com/a/bGXtthA


That's what I was getting at. United never was at C Concourse. A,B and E, yeah, but never C. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about C Concourse being the point.
Talked to a veteran co-worker who was at Stapleton till the end. No subUAL at C Concourse, not even at the end....
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
United1
Posts: 3860
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 pm

jsnww81 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

Sorry brother, read what was written again. I never said United wasn't at E Concourse. Like there is reading comprehension problems in this age.
My point was and is they were never at C Concourse, especially not C 2. Mexicana used it for their flights, we did some of their maintenance. Never ever saw a old United aircraft park there at C-2.
Worked there, flew in there don't care what that Stapleton map shows. Here's some other Stapleton gate maps, no United in C Concourse.
I'll ask the guys who were there till the bitter end of Stapleton, but unless you have a picture of a old UAL airliner at a C Concourse gate, nope, didn't happen.
Sometimes you have to go beyond your own precious internet.


Twitchy much?

Your original post tearing into midway7 referred to his comment about both C and E. If you only meant C, that was not clear from your blown-gasket reply.

No, United never operated on C. They were, however, using multiple gates on E throughout the early 90s.


I know UA did't have much in the way of international flights out of Stapleton but I thought they had at least one flight to Mexico. As C2 was the airports only international gate how did UA clear FIS at Stapeton if they didn't use C2 at least to unload? bus?
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
N649DL
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Wed May 08, 2019 11:16 pm

UA444 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Going even more OT, IMO CO should've made a move for F9. They had quite an extensive codeshare, complementary fleets and networks, and CO really wanted to get back in to DEN. Before the UA merger, there were rumors that if UA dumped DEN during bankruptcy, that CO would be all over it like white on rice.

Why would they have dumped DEN, which was pretty consistently the largest hub not named Chicago? And even if they had, CO sure as heck wasn’t just going to be able to waltz in the front door without a fight from WN, DL, F9, and AA.


What's crazier to me is how (according to this thread) CO dumped it's DEN hub in favor of pursuing CAL-Lite. How did they NOT know that it was going to be a failed start up of an airline within an airline?

United1 wrote:
jsnww81 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

Sorry brother, read what was written again. I never said United wasn't at E Concourse. Like there is reading comprehension problems in this age.
My point was and is they were never at C Concourse, especially not C 2. Mexicana used it for their flights, we did some of their maintenance. Never ever saw a old United aircraft park there at C-2.
Worked there, flew in there don't care what that Stapleton map shows. Here's some other Stapleton gate maps, no United in C Concourse.
I'll ask the guys who were there till the bitter end of Stapleton, but unless you have a picture of a old UAL airliner at a C Concourse gate, nope, didn't happen.
Sometimes you have to go beyond your own precious internet.


Twitchy much?

Your original post tearing into midway7 referred to his comment about both C and E. If you only meant C, that was not clear from your blown-gasket reply.

No, United never operated on C. They were, however, using multiple gates on E throughout the early 90s.


I know UA did't have much in the way of international flights out of Stapleton but I thought they had at least one flight to Mexico. As C2 was the airports only international gate how did UA clear FIS at Stapeton if they didn't use C2 at least to unload? bus?


The last flight out of Stapleton was a CO flight to LGW and I think it was nonstop.
 
theAviationGeek
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:11 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 pm

CALTECH wrote:
jsnww81 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

Sorry brother, read what was written again. I never said United wasn't at E Concourse. Like there is reading comprehension problems in this age.
My point was and is they were never at C Concourse, especially not C 2. Mexicana used it for their flights, we did some of their maintenance. Never ever saw a old United aircraft park there at C-2.
Worked there, flew in there don't care what that Stapleton map shows. Here's some other Stapleton gate maps, no United in C Concourse.
I'll ask the guys who were there till the bitter end of Stapleton, but unless you have a picture of a old UAL airliner at a C Concourse gate, nope, didn't happen.



Howdy CALTECH,

I was wondering if you have any old photos from your time at Stapleton? I am very familiar with the Stapleton Photo's website, but am always looking for new photos.

Ryan
 
Max Q
Posts: 7700
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sat May 11, 2019 1:30 am

N649DL wrote:
UA444 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Going even more OT, IMO CO should've made a move for F9. They had quite an extensive codeshare, complementary fleets and networks, and CO really wanted to get back in to DEN. Before the UA merger, there were rumors that if UA dumped DEN during bankruptcy, that CO would be all over it like white on rice.

Why would they have dumped DEN, which was pretty consistently the largest hub not named Chicago? And even if they had, CO sure as heck wasn’t just going to be able to waltz in the front door without a fight from WN, DL, F9, and AA.


What's crazier to me is how (according to this thread) CO dumped it's DEN hub in favor of pursuing CAL-Lite. How did they NOT know that it was going to be a failed start up of an airline within an airline?

United1 wrote:
jsnww81 wrote:

Twitchy much?

Your original post tearing into midway7 referred to his comment about both C and E. If you only meant C, that was not clear from your blown-gasket reply.

No, United never operated on C. They were, however, using multiple gates on E throughout the early 90s.


I know UA did't have much in the way of international flights out of Stapleton but I thought they had at least one flight to Mexico. As C2 was the airports only international gate how did UA clear FIS at Stapeton if they didn't use C2 at least to unload? bus?


The last flight out of Stapleton was a CO flight to LGW and I think it was nonstop.



Cal lite was the ‘brainchild’ of Bob Ferguson, who’s management genius
was on the same level as Smisek


It was such a money losing disaster
it nearly caused Cal to re-enter bankruptcy
and the situation was only salvaged at the last minute by the hiring of Gordon Bethune and his brilliant management team
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sat May 11, 2019 1:48 am

CALTECH wrote:
United1 wrote:
CALTECH wrote:



Where in the world did you come up with this misinformation ? Stapleton's own history...

' By the early 1990s, Concourses A and B were exclusively used by United and United Express, Continental used most of Concourses C and D, and most other airlines moved to Concourse E.'


A and B concourses at Stapleton were definitely UAs main operations at DEN but towards the end UA did have 6 or 7 gates in E concourse. I don't remember UA being in C or D however.

https://imgur.com/a/bGXtthA


That's what I was getting at. United never was at C Concourse. A,B and E, yeah, but never C. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about C Concourse being the point.
Talked to a veteran co-worker who was at Stapleton till the end. No subUAL at C Concourse, not even at the end....


I’m actually almost certain that UA did have its BAe146 ops out of C at the very end of the Stapleton days, after the the CO hub was shuttered, and just before DIA opened. I believe that they were towards the end of the concourse, maybe gates 26, 27. Can anyone else recall this?
 
N649DL
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sat May 11, 2019 2:07 am

Max Q wrote:
N649DL wrote:
UA444 wrote:
Why would they have dumped DEN, which was pretty consistently the largest hub not named Chicago? And even if they had, CO sure as heck wasn’t just going to be able to waltz in the front door without a fight from WN, DL, F9, and AA.


What's crazier to me is how (according to this thread) CO dumped it's DEN hub in favor of pursuing CAL-Lite. How did they NOT know that it was going to be a failed start up of an airline within an airline?

United1 wrote:

I know UA did't have much in the way of international flights out of Stapleton but I thought they had at least one flight to Mexico. As C2 was the airports only international gate how did UA clear FIS at Stapeton if they didn't use C2 at least to unload? bus?


The last flight out of Stapleton was a CO flight to LGW and I think it was nonstop.



Cal lite was the ‘brainchild’ of Bob Ferguson, who’s management genius
was on the same level as Smisek


It was such a money losing disaster
it nearly caused Cal to re-enter bankruptcy
and the situation was only salvaged at the last minute by the hiring of Gordon Bethune and his brilliant management team


+ Greg Brenneman. Bethune would've been totally lost had it not been for his vision.

In Bethune's management team was Smisek who should've stayed as head of legal instead of going to CEO at UAL. We all know now that he bit off more than he could chew.
 
Max Q
Posts: 7700
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sat May 11, 2019 8:52 am

N649DL wrote:
Max Q wrote:
N649DL wrote:

What's crazier to me is how (according to this thread) CO dumped it's DEN hub in favor of pursuing CAL-Lite. How did they NOT know that it was going to be a failed start up of an airline within an airline?



The last flight out of Stapleton was a CO flight to LGW and I think it was nonstop.



Cal lite was the ‘brainchild’ of Bob Ferguson, who’s management genius
was on the same level as Smisek


It was such a money losing disaster
it nearly caused Cal to re-enter bankruptcy
and the situation was only salvaged at the last minute by the hiring of Gordon Bethune and his brilliant management team


+ Greg Brenneman. Bethune would've been totally lost had it not been for his vision.

In Bethune's management team was Smisek who should've stayed as head of legal instead of going to CEO at UAL. We all know now that he bit off more than he could chew.



Agree with all that N6DL

Best wishes
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
midway7
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:24 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sat May 11, 2019 2:53 pm

I’m actually almost certain that UA did have its BAe146 ops out of C at the very end of the Stapleton days, after the the CO hub was shuttered, and just before DIA opened. I believe that they were towards the end of the concourse, maybe gates 26, 27. Can anyone else recall this?[/quote]


Okay, it took a little work, but I was able to find some proof of UA in Concourse C on the last day of operations at Stapleton. To be fair, it is not mainline UA, but UA express.

On Youtube, there is a video titled "The Final Hours of Stapleton Intl. Airport - TV News Compilation - 1995". It is actually a good set of news reports for the final day of operations at Stapleton. Worth a watch if you have interest.

At, 17:03 on this video, you will see an agent working a UA Express flight to a destination in California from gate C15. This video was taken by news reporters on the last day of operations.

Hope this helps clear this question up.
 
N649DL
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sat May 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Max Q wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Max Q wrote:


Cal lite was the ‘brainchild’ of Bob Ferguson, who’s management genius
was on the same level as Smisek


It was such a money losing disaster
it nearly caused Cal to re-enter bankruptcy
and the situation was only salvaged at the last minute by the hiring of Gordon Bethune and his brilliant management team


+ Greg Brenneman. Bethune would've been totally lost had it not been for his vision.

In Bethune's management team was Smisek who should've stayed as head of legal instead of going to CEO at UAL. We all know now that he bit off more than he could chew.



Agree with all that N6DL

Best wishes


Thanks Sir. Check out this article: https://hbr.org/1998/09/right-away-and- ... ontinental

I can identify with being a "Frustrated Consultant" and dining about business solutions over several bottles of wine lol.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sun May 26, 2019 9:11 pm

midway7 wrote:
I’m actually almost certain that UA did have its BAe146 ops out of C at the very end of the Stapleton days, after the the CO hub was shuttered, and just before DIA opened. I believe that they were towards the end of the concourse, maybe gates 26, 27. Can anyone else recall this?



Okay, it took a little work, but I was able to find some proof of UA in Concourse C on the last day of operations at Stapleton. To be fair, it is not mainline UA, but UA express.

On Youtube, there is a video titled "The Final Hours of Stapleton Intl. Airport - TV News Compilation - 1995". It is actually a good set of news reports for the final day of operations at Stapleton. Worth a watch if you have interest.

At, 17:03 on this video, you will see an agent working a UA Express flight to a destination in California from gate C15. This video was taken by news reporters on the last day of operations.

Hope this helps clear this question up.


And again, United never flew in or out of C Concourse at Stapleton.
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
tpaewr
Posts: 700
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sun May 26, 2019 9:56 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
midway7 wrote:
I’m actually almost certain that UA did have its BAe146 ops out of C at the very end of the Stapleton days, after the the CO hub was shuttered, and just before DIA opened. I believe that they were towards the end of the concourse, maybe gates 26, 27. Can anyone else recall this?



Okay, it took a little work, but I was able to find some proof of UA in Concourse C on the last day of operations at Stapleton. To be fair, it is not mainline UA, but UA express.

On Youtube, there is a video titled "The Final Hours of Stapleton Intl. Airport - TV News Compilation - 1995". It is actually a good set of news reports for the final day of operations at Stapleton. Worth a watch if you have interest.

At, 17:03 on this video, you will see an agent working a UA Express flight to a destination in California from gate C15. This video was taken by news reporters on the last day of operations.

Hope this helps clear this question up.


And again, United never flew in or out of C Concourse at Stapleton.


So you said you worked at Stapleton. You joined the forum 12 years ago. Your profile says you are 18. And you expect people to believe you?



Maybe because he has posted here for over a decade and is a known entity. Unlike some rando with less than a 1000 post that is Johnny come lately.
 
midway7
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:24 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Sun May 26, 2019 11:15 pm

The video clearly shows United Express departing out of Concourse C on the last day of operations. This is from a documented news source. What else do you want?
 
United1
Posts: 3860
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Mon May 27, 2019 3:53 am

midway7 wrote:
The video clearly shows United Express departing out of Concourse C on the last day of operations. This is from a documented news source. What else do you want?


Thanks for that video it was a good watch.

It did show a UA Express flight being boarded out of C15 DEN-SBA.

Guess they had a at least a gate there at the end...I don't remember that but would not surprise me as UA was growing quite quickly at DEN then.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
midway7
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:24 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Mon May 27, 2019 11:53 am

It could have been a very temporary thing, given the move. I would imagine the final month or so, as they started to really shut things down, they may have done some irregular moves on the operations side. The only thing that would suggest otherwise is the United Express sign does seem somewhat permanent on the gate podium.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm

midway7 wrote:
The video clearly shows United Express departing out of Concourse C on the last day of operations. This is from a documented news source. What else do you want?


Still haven't shown, because it never happened, United Airlines never flew out of C Concourse at Stapleton. How much more do you want, cause you will not get it....
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Mon May 27, 2019 3:01 pm

If UA never flew off of the C concourse, can someone explain the video which clearly show an Express flight departing from gate C15?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
mcg
Posts: 975
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:49 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Mon May 27, 2019 11:47 pm

CALTECH wrote:
ord wrote:
intotheair wrote:
It eventually just didn’t make sense for CO to play second fiddle in a city the size of Denver. UA put up a tough fight to say the least, and CO was also interested in building up its highly profitable and winning CALite strategy back east.


CALite was neither profitable nor a winning strategy.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/14/busi ... rvice.html


Kinda like that wonderful winning strategy and on-time Shuttle By United success story.

midway7 wrote:
At the end of the Stapleton days, UA began a bit of a ramp up, with the reductions of the CO hub. Towards the end of Stapleton, UA was using gates in the C and E concourses, as well as their long home in A and B. Some of the additional gates probably allowed them to bank more flights at peak transfer times. They transferred about 300 daily flights to DIA in Feb 1995.


Where in the world did you come up with this misinformation ? Stapleton's own history...

' By the early 1990s, Concourses A and B were exclusively used by United and United Express, Continental used most of Concourses C and D, and most other airlines moved to Concourse E.'


delete sorry
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Thu May 30, 2019 10:48 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
If UA never flew off of the C concourse, can someone explain the video which clearly show an Express flight departing from gate C15?


United Express is not and will never be United Airlines
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Thu May 30, 2019 11:00 pm

CALTECH wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
If UA never flew off of the C concourse, can someone explain the video which clearly show an Express flight departing from gate C15?


United Express is not and will never be United Airlines. Sorry....

' United formally partnered with Air Wisconsin, Aspen Airways, and WestAir as United Express, feeding its hubs at Chicago-O'Hare, Denver-Stapleton, and San Francisco International Airports. Air Wisconsin and Aspen would merge in 1991.''
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens
 
Trk1
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 am

If you stay at a Hilton, Sheraton, etc you are staying at a franchise. If you eat at Mc Donalds, Wendy's etc you are at a franchise. In all cases you use the corporate name as a consumer. Airlines are just the same--United Express is United.
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 2:11 am

This summer marks 30th anniversary of United #232 (DC-10 DEN-0RD July 19 1989)
Airliners.net of the Future
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1746
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 am

September11 wrote:
This summer marks 30th anniversary of United #232 (DC-10 DEN-0RD July 19 1989)


Not sure I'd use the term "anniversary" for a deadly plane crash.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 12:30 pm

CALTECH wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
If UA never flew off of the C concourse, can someone explain the video which clearly show an Express flight departing from gate C15?


United Express is not and will never be United Airlines. Sorry....

' United formally partnered with Air Wisconsin, Aspen Airways, and WestAir as United Express, feeding its hubs at Chicago-O'Hare, Denver-Stapleton, and San Francisco International Airports. Air Wisconsin and Aspen would merge in 1991.''


Technically, yes. However they act as an agent for UA, and they fly under UA colors. They represent UA (just like other carriers do for AA and DL). The passengers consider it UA. If there is an on-board incident we hear so much about today, it will likely be label United Airlines, not United Express. It's pointless to argue this, so have a nice day.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 2:19 pm

intotheair wrote:
September11 wrote:
This summer marks 30th anniversary of United #232 (DC-10 DEN-0RD July 19 1989)


Not sure I'd use the term "anniversary" for a deadly plane crash.


Uhhh, ok? Straight from Webster’s dictionary:

“Definition of anniversary 1 : the annual recurrence of a date marking a notable event”

Though “anniversary” is largely associated with memorializing wedding dates, the term is properly used all the time to remember tragic or somber events. (anniversary of D-day, Anniversary of my fathers passing, anniversary of United 232, etc).
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Regarding UA and ops out of C at Stapleton, I flew DEN-MEX-DEN on UA mainline (I believe a 737-300) in probably 1993 or 94. Unless I’m wildly mistaken, I do remember clearing customs in DEN. This means either 1) UA would have at least had park on C to deplane, or 2) we were bused from A, B, or E to C in order to clear customs.

Does anyone recall the procedure?
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5464
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Threads like this are why I love a.net

Thanks guys for the photos the videos and the info!
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 2:58 pm

I enjoyed looking at the terminal maps of Stapleton. I noticed it said A concourse opened in 1994. Why did they open a new concourse at Stapleton when the new airport opened just a year later?
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I enjoyed looking at the terminal maps of Stapleton. I noticed it said A concourse opened in 1994. Why did they open a new concourse at Stapleton when the new airport opened just a year later?


That map is a little confusing out of context, it was likely printed in 1992-93. It’s the airport map page out of the Continental magazine that came out just prior to when DIA was supposed to open in 1994. The top half is showing what was then the current map of CO ops at Stapleton and the bottom half is showing future CO ops DIA after it opens in (what was supposed to be) 1994. Sometime after the map was printed, DIAs opening was delayed to 1995 and the DEN CO hub never survived the move to DIA.
 
flyjoe
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:10 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 pm

I remember back in the 80s, USAir operated a couple of flights on the south side of B, maybe B9, B11. The red tail really stuck out with all of those white UA tails.

I guess UA has the ground handling contract instead of US operating out of D at the time with all of the ‘other’ airlines.
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3267
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Denver hub 1990s?

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:21 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
CALTECH wrote:

United Express is not and will never be United Airlines. Sorry....

' United formally partnered with Air Wisconsin, Aspen Airways, and WestAir as United Express, feeding its hubs at Chicago-O'Hare, Denver-Stapleton, and San Francisco International Airports. Air Wisconsin and Aspen would merge in 1991.''


Technically, yes. However they act as an agent for UA, and they fly under UA colors. They represent UA (just like other carriers do for AA and DL). The passengers consider it UA. If there is an on-board incident we hear so much about today, it will likely be label United Airlines, not United Express. It's pointless to argue this, so have a nice day.


Talking to my sUAL and sCAL brothers who were at Stapleton at the end and transitioned to DIA, the premise that United flew out of C concourse at Stapleton is incorrect, so that technically, United Airlines never flew out of C concourse at Stapleton. And since proof that doesn't exist can not be presented, have a great day
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos