DominoxX
Topic Author

LATAM announces direct SCL-SYD flight

Sun May 05, 2019 12:37 pm

https://www.ausbt.com.au/latam-s-sydney-santiago-flights-will-be-non-stop-from-november-2019?utm_source=hero

thrice weekly direct SCL-SYD flights, with the four weekly SCL-AKL as a result. As from November this year.

It looks to me that ANZ has done well with their direct link to Argentina, LA is taking ANZ's connecting passenger by directly flying to Australia. Good one, no?
Thank u, next.

cskok8

Re: LATAM announces direct SCL-SYD flight

Sun May 05, 2019 1:17 pm

DominoxX wrote:

It looks to me that ANZ has done well with their direct link to Argentina, LA is taking ANZ's connecting passenger by directly flying to Australia. Good one, no?

Not quite, only passengers from Sydney. All other cities will still need a transfer. Same as taking NZ via AKL

x1234

Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm

So SCL - SYD finally goes daily with QF 4x weekly and LA 3x weekly! I believe LATAM's goal of going non-stop was to finally be competitive to Asia with the existing QF/CX/JL code-shares via SYD.

MalevTU134

Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm

cskok8 wrote:
DominoxX wrote:

Not quite, only passengers from Sydney. All other cities will still need a transfer. Same as taking NZ via AKL

Or QF nonstop from SYD, operating for a few years already. Do QF and LA have a JV on the route?

x1234

Sun May 05, 2019 1:40 pm

If I were LATAM I'd put the new A350 on this route instead of the planned GRU - JNB route as they currently had B787 RR engine problems. I assume the RR B787 engine problems have been resolved for ETOPS!?

MalevTU134

Sun May 05, 2019 2:03 pm

x1234 wrote:
If I were LATAM I'd put the new A350 on this route instead of the planned GRU - JNB route as they currently had B787 RR engine problems. I assume the RR B787 engine problems have been resolved for ETOPS!?

Thanks God you are not LATAM. Put a new aircraft type on a 14 hour overwater segment in the very far Southern Pacific? Please don't get up, do stay in your armchair.

a320fan

Sun May 05, 2019 2:49 pm

DominoxX wrote:

I’m confused what you mean with this? QF have been flying SYD-SCL for many years now, plus LA have being operating a non stop SCL-MEL for about a year.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

dcajet

Sun May 05, 2019 4:44 pm

DominoxX wrote:

NZ's operation at EZE has been profitable since day 1, fluctuates from ~ 4-6x w, depending on the time of the year. They wanted to go daily this past southern summer but the 787s issues forced NZ to redeploy those 777s to cover more flying to Asia.

As to your comment, about LA targeting NZ... look, NZ still has the upper hand from EZE, which generates more local traffic to Australia & New Zealand than SCL does. SCL has more connections via the LATAM hub, which is the reason why QF moved its operations to SCL from EZE. With NZ you can fly nonstop from EZE to AKL or one stop to most large cities in Australia. With LA & QF, no matter where one is headed, be it AKL or points in Australia, one has to change planes at SCL.
Last edited by dcajet on Sun May 05, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

dcajet

Sun May 05, 2019 4:54 pm

x1234 wrote:

LATAM has been flying to Australia & New Zealand with the 787 (both -8 and -9) since they retired the A340s (2015? 2016?), even in the thick of the RR Trent 1000 troubles. Further more, this is LATAM Chile doing the south seas routes, and LA has no A350s in their fleet, LATAM Brazil is the one operating those A350s and JJ does not fly to AU&NZ. Remember that in spite of the marketing, LATAM is a loose federation of airlines operating under different AOCs and just can't swap fleets and staff at a whim.

gatibosgru

Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm

dcajet wrote:
x1234 wrote:

LATAM has been flying to Australia & New Zealand with the 787 (both -8 and -9) since they retired the A340s (2015? 2016?), even in the thick of the RR Trent 1000 troubles. Further more, this is LATAM Chile doing the south seas routes, and LA has no A350s in their fleet, LATAM Brazil is the one operating those A350s and JJ does not fly to AU&NZ. Remember that in spite of the marketing, LATAM is a loose federation of airlines operating under different AOCs and just can't swap fleets and staff at a whim.

In his defense, didn't LATAM Chile run GRU-MAD on the 789? So there could definitely me some cross fleeting. Also, during the height of the Trent 1000 issues, didn't they run a few leased 772s for AKL?
@DadCelo

dcajet

Sun May 05, 2019 5:31 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
dcajet wrote:
x1234 wrote:

In his defense, didn't LATAM Chile run GRU-MAD on the 789? So there could definitely me some cross fleeting. Also, during the height of the Trent 1000 issues, didn't they run a few leased 772s for AKL?

The 772 never flew to Auckand, AFAIK. Only to IPC and other destinatios such as MIA and LAX, as did for a while that Wamos 747. You are correct, that was LATAM Chile flying SCL-GRU-MAD. But it was a flight that went to a destination that LA already flew to. JJ does not fly to Australia & NZ, and would need route authority to do so.

Galwayman

Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm

It really sounds like the South Pacific is a gravy train . I’d love to see Fijian take some of the action with their new A350s ... offering fantastic one stop options from GRU/SCL or Eze to multiples cites in NZ and Oz

kriskim

Sun May 05, 2019 9:47 pm

x1234 wrote:
So SCL - SYD finally goes daily with QF 4x weekly and LA 3x weekly! I believe LATAM's goal of going non-stop was to finally be competitive to Asia with the existing QF/CX/JL code-shares via SYD.

Well the same can be said with the current SCL-MEL services, the same code-shares are in place as well, but with LA's recent schedule change, JL's connection to NRT is not as good as before. CX also recently placed its code on LA's MEL services. I think that its a matter of time before LA increases SCL-MEL to daily.
A world built upon connectivity.

Motorhussy

Sun May 05, 2019 10:02 pm

Does LA have any plans to start BNE services?

And re connections to Asia, LA always had a codeshare with the daily CX flights from AKL-HKG.
come visit the south pacific

Gemuser

Sun May 05, 2019 10:55 pm

cskok8 wrote:
DominoxX wrote:

Not quite! LA/QF now serve both SYD & MEL non stop. Right there you have >50% of the Australian population and I would guess about 70 - 75% of airline passenger to SA. The only large east coast city that needs a connection via AKL is BNE. Without doing a timetable exercise I would supect that connections to PER & ADL over SYD/MEL would be more reliable and have more choice as they are busy domestic routes than the once a day connections via AKL.

Gemuser

questions

Sun May 05, 2019 11:02 pm

DominoxX wrote:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/latam-s-sydney-santiago-flights-will-be-non-stop-from-november-2019?utm_source=hero

thrice weekly direct SCL-SYD flights, with the four weekly SCL-AKL as a result. As from November this year.

“Direct”? Where will it stop?

There is a difference between direct and nonstop flights.

This is a nonstop flight, not a direct flight.

Rhodylee

Sun May 05, 2019 11:18 pm

Just looking at FlightAware and seeing very few flights in that part of the South Pacific.

Off topic but, there’s a flight today from Austin to Auckland- I wonder why ?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ ... /KAUS/NZAA

airbazar

Sun May 05, 2019 11:18 pm

questions wrote:

“Direct”? Where will it stop?

There is a difference between direct and nonstop flights.

This is a nonstop flight, not a direct flight.

Take it easy. Not everyone on these boards is a native English speaker. The linked article which is from a english speaking source clearly states "non-stop".
I know in the Portuguese language which is my native language, direto=non-stop. That could also be the case in other languages.

Rhodylee

Mon May 06, 2019 12:42 am

Ah - thanks for that alggag

santi319

Mon May 06, 2019 12:42 am

I cant stop thinking about that time someone here did a thread on the loneliest flight of the world or something like that and that LA flight from MEL-SCL popped up with literally NO ONE around for thousands of miles... eerie.

ZK-NBT

Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 am

Motorhussy wrote:

And re connections to Asia, LA always had a codeshare with the daily CX flights from AKL-HKG.

I do wonder and think there is a chance they could announce an AKL-BNE tag when they announce the SYD schedule, quite a few connect in AKL to CX I believe so keeping AKL daily makes sense to me with a BNE tag, otherwise the aircraft is parked for 12-13hrs before returning to SCL.

dcajet

Mon May 06, 2019 3:53 am

Motorhussy wrote:

AFAIK, there are no plans to start BNE-South America service, either by LA or QF.

Adipocere

Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am

Would love to see a SCL - PER trans-Antarctic flight by someone someday. They could just up sell all the window seats over the southern summer...

zkncj

Mon May 06, 2019 4:16 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

I do wonder and think there is a chance they could announce an AKL-BNE tag when they announce the SYD schedule, quite a few connect in AKL to CX I believe so keeping AKL daily makes sense to me with a BNE tag, otherwise the aircraft is parked for 12-13hrs before returning to SCL.

Hopeful for that LA are pretty reasonable price wise on AKL-SYD, and AKL-BNE defiantly needs an pricing shack up compared to SYD.

QF120 often seems to have allot of people connecting from the LA flight, and the boarding anncounent is often in Spanish too.

QF742

Mon May 06, 2019 4:20 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

I can’t imagine that they would want to tag BNE to AKL. The SYD-AKL-SCL flights have been operating a long time and is probably why it has remained a tag for so long. It was only a matter of time before they delinked (noting also they went to MEL non stop straight away rather than via AKL). There is no need for LA to serve BNE via AKL when they can offer service there via one stop options through AKL, SYD or MEL. It is also costly to operate tag flights and presumably they will use the opportunity to retime flights so the plane doesn’t sit for 12+ hours.

Gemuser

Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 am

Adipocere wrote:
Would love to see a SCL - PER trans-Antarctic flight by someone someday. They could just up sell all the window seats over the southern summer...

Not a hope of approval by anyone unless & until an airline develops a plan for passenger recovery off Antarctica. Don't hold your breath, that is likely to cost more than the entire A380 project cost, many multiple billions.

Gemuser

Gemuser

Mon May 06, 2019 5:49 am

QF742 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

I can’t imagine that they would want to tag BNE to AKL. The SYD-AKL-SCL flights have been operating a long time and is probably why it has remained a tag for so long. It was only a matter of time before they delinked (noting also they went to MEL non stop straight away rather than via AKL). There is no need for LA to serve BNE via AKL when they can offer service there via one stop options through AKL, SYD or MEL. It is also costly to operate tag flights and presumably they will use the opportunity to retime flights so the plane doesn’t sit for 12+ hours.

I can. If te numbers stack up it would enable them to use the aircraft that will now be sitting in AKL for 12/13 hours as mentioned above.

Gemuser

Motorhussy

Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 am

QF742 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

Well if it were so unimaginable that a tagged flight could work then SCL-AKL-SYD would not have been in operation as long as it has. SCL-MEL went non-stop immediately because SYD was already served by QF and LA. There was and is no other competition on the MEL route. If flights are going non-stop to SYD at the expense of AKL, it makes sense to start BNE flights via AKL and keep AKL daily to: make it competitive, and; to keep serving the Asia links out of AKL with CX.

Plus BNE is a viable market that is not currently served by LA.

ZK-NBT

Mon May 06, 2019 6:46 am

QF742 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

That would leave AKL with a split schedule which while not unheard of it can mean 2 flights oneway and none the next etc, the only thing is maybe an early afternoon departure ex AKL but the problem with that is it misses the OZ connections. Or a daylight SCL-AKL leg but again arrives to late and misses BNE connections which is the missing link with MEL/SYD both served.

I’m quite sure LA have talked about a third Australian destination since MEL was added so fairly recent talk. I can’t see anywhere other than BNE. I can definitely see it happening, however I have no actual inside info and could be way off. Just reading between the lines.

qf2220

Mon May 06, 2019 6:56 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
cskok8 wrote:
DominoxX wrote:

Or QF nonstop from SYD, operating for a few years already. Do QF and LA have a JV on the route?

Codeshares yes. Joint business no.

QF742

Mon May 06, 2019 9:44 am

Motorhussy wrote:
QF742 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Well if it were so unimaginable that a tagged flight could work then SCL-AKL-SYD would not have been in operation as long as it has. SCL-MEL went non-stop immediately because SYD was already served by QF and LA. There was and is no other competition on the MEL route. If flights are going non-stop to SYD at the expense of AKL, it makes sense to start BNE flights via AKL and keep AKL daily to: make it competitive, and; to keep serving the Asia links out of AKL with CX.

The way I see this all unfolding (more long term) is that MEL and SYD will both be non stop daily to SCL. I would see AKL continue to be served, but perhaps 4x weekly or so. AKL would be retimed to avoid the long layover.

In my opinion, a non stop flight to BNE is more likely than one stop via AKL.

Motorhussy

Mon May 06, 2019 10:44 am

QF742 wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:
QF742 wrote:

The way I see this all unfolding (more long term) is that MEL and SYD will both be non stop daily to SCL. I would see AKL continue to be served, but perhaps 4x weekly or so. AKL would be retimed to avoid the long layover.

In my opinion, a non stop flight to BNE is more likely than one stop via AKL.

That may well be the eventual case but SCL-AKL-BNE would be a great way to start the route. I think keeping AKL frequencies up is important to keep higher value traffic, particularly to/from Asia. Maybe with a 788.

dcajet

Mon May 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Gemuser wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

Not a hope of approval by anyone unless & until an airline develops a plan for passenger recovery off Antarctica. Don't hold your breath, that is likely to cost more than the entire A380 project cost, many multiple billions.

Gemuser

FWIW:

There has been an effort to market to airline and regulators a PER-EZE route, sponsored by the Argentina-Australia Chamber of Commerce and the Perth Airport. As it turns out, Buenos Aires is closer to Perth than Santiago is. The idea is to create the fastest link to SE Asia from South America, both for business & leisure travel. As it turns out there is a growing market of Argentinians and Brazilians that are vacationing in Thailand and Bali. I also heard the Singapore airport management co (is it SATC?) has shown interest. Boeing was brought in as a consultant and according to their analysis, the route is doable with current ETOPS/EROPS 330 rules with either the 777s or 787-9. The route has been marketed to Norwegian Argentina and to Qantas. Norwegian did request (and holds) EZE-PER authority.

The big questions is whether the route could ever turn a profit and if regulators will approve it.

NearMiss

Mon May 06, 2019 4:33 pm

So, to sum it up:

LA now goes non-stop SCL - SYD three times a week and four times a week to AKL. So, no more SYD - AKL on LATAM or that still goes on?
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

dcajet

Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 pm

NearMiss wrote:
So, to sum it up:

LA now goes non-stop SCL - SYD three times a week and four times a week to AKL. So, no more SYD - AKL on LATAM or that still goes on?

Correct. Goodbye cheap trans Tasman business class fares for YouTube flight report videos.

DolphinAir747

Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Gemuser wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

Gemuser

Why is that more of an issue than the current routings on SCL-SYD, which still get pretty close to Antarctica and fly for hours over ocean with no diversion airports? Isn't an airbase over Antarctica better than open ocean?

ZK-NBT

Mon May 06, 2019 6:33 pm

dcajet wrote:
NearMiss wrote:
So, to sum it up:

Correct. Goodbye cheap trans Tasman business class fares for YouTube flight report videos.

Incorrect LA will still offer SYD-AKL 4x weekly.

dcajet

Mon May 06, 2019 7:02 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
dcajet wrote:
NearMiss wrote:
So, to sum it up:

Incorrect LA will still offer SYD-AKL 4x weekly.

My bad. Relief... we can still look forward to those reports at affordable business class fares.

ferminbrif

Mon May 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Considering that this route is somewhere around Antarctica, I’m just wondering: in the event of diverting the aircraft for any reason needed, are there any airport down there to divert?

dcajet

Mon May 06, 2019 11:00 pm

ferminbrif wrote:
Considering that this route is somewhere around Antarctica, I’m just wondering: in the event of diverting the aircraft for any reason needed, are there any airport down there to divert?

That's where ETOPS 330 kicks in. On the South America side, you have USH, PUQ and MPS. None on the other side. But no different than say, the current EZE-AKL, between USH and CHC, there are no diversion airports in between.

dcajet

Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 pm

LATAM will reduce flying and capacity on the SCL-MEL route. Effective 9/8/19 the route goes from 5x w to 3xw and effective 2/10/19, the route downgauges from the 787-9 to the 787-8.

x1234

Thu May 09, 2019 5:12 pm

dcajet, do you know when LATAM will load the non-stop SCL-SYD flights into the system!? I find LATAM's fares substantially cheaper than Qantas on the route due to the fuel efficiency of the B787.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos