Spetsnaz55

Re: Aeroflot SSJ100 on fire at Moscow (SVO)

Sun May 05, 2019 11:44 pm

trnswrld wrote:
clancy688 wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
The passengers video from inside the plane looks fairly far back, at least behind the wing. They also stay at their seat for several seconds after the aircraft came to a stop, but still made it out. Hard to believe there were still 40 pax behind them that did not get out.

I'm not sure about that. You can't see *that* much in the video, but I think you never see the trailing edge of the wing. You can see a fire engulfed *something* right in the first second (maybe the landing gear which punched through the wing?), and you can see the leading edge and the engine cowl right at the beginning. That would put the passenger very far forward in the cabin. Row 8 or 9:

https://www.aeroflot.ru/media/aflfiles/ ... 100_de.png

Location of the landing gear would fit, too:

http://i59.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1017/58/ ... 61d658.jpg

I’m not sure the exact seat, but that video looks pretty clear to me to be taken from right over the wing. Maybe slightly rear of center of the wing.

Yep spot on. Right about the middle of the wing. RIP to all the people that perished.

That video was really hard to watch. One lady was screaming "God please help us" and another was crying for her mom....

F9Animal

Re: Aeroflot 1492 SSJ100 fire at Moscow (SVO)

Sun May 05, 2019 11:46 pm

That fire was instant and raging. Sadly, the back half of the plane had such little time to even have a chance. Anyone know the response time it took for the Fire Department to arrive? I understand the plane was making an emergency landing, so the Fire Department should have already been staged?

My deepest condolences and sorrow for those who were on this plane. As others have mentioned, I suspect the fuel tank ruptured from that hard landing. I do hope this brings some changes to aviation safety, and maybe brings some better ways to reinforce the fuel tanks if this is found to be a cause. Still absolutely mortified at how quickly the plane was engulfed. That inside video is horrific!
I Am A Different Animal!!

FlyingElvii

Mon May 06, 2019 12:03 am

clancy688 wrote:
It's probably a miracle that anyone got out alive.

This video shows the start of the evacuation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCybSEQuP0I

Take special notice of the left side of the plane. The moment the left side chute inflates (i.e. the door opens), grey smoke starts billowing out (starting at 0:10). It looks like the smoke is coming out of the plane a bit behind the right side exit, but that actually makes sense since on a Superjet, the left side exit seems to be a bit behind the right side exit ( https://www.aeroflot.ru/media/aflfiles/ ... 100_de.png ). This smoke quickly grows denser and blacker. This can also be seen in this image on avherald: http://avherald.com/img/aeroflot_su95_r ... 0505_1.jpg

Meaning that the cabin was already engulfed in smoke when they opened the emergency slides. The way the plane came to rest (pointing upwards) also meant that the smoke went towards the exits. It only takes 3-4 breaths of smoke to lose consciousness. And even if not, the chances of getting to the exits in time when you see nothing at all are pretty non-existent as well.

Something else one can see on this image (since I've read a few comments about the fire brigade reacting slowly): They obviously had fire engines on standby, since there's one already fighting the fire while the evacuation is in progress (i.e. seconds after the plane came to rest). You just can't see it on all the other pictures because it's behind the blaze.

To make a point using this vid for the earlier conversation of Evacuating, when the Right hand slide deploys, note the difference in time between slider #10, and 3-4 seconds later out comes slider number 11 with his bag... Here stood in the doorway for 4 seconds. 2-3 more people could theoretically have gotten out, if this clown had left the big bag behind, that was obviously in the overhead, taking even more precious seconds to get out. How many people died because of this one guy, let alone how many others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCybSEQuP0I

zuckie13

Re: Updated: Aeroflot 1492 SSJ100 fire at Moscow (SVO) - 40+ confirmed dead

Mon May 06, 2019 12:04 am

Obviously some serious issues while flying before the landing/fire. Seemed to lose radio and someone mentioned they were in direct law. How much training/stick time do pilots get in direct law? I assume on a normal commercial flight they would never go to that mode unless it's an emergency, so I'm wondering if some of the issues on landing are not being used to the response of the plane without all the normal protections in place.

SurlyBonds

Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 am

speedbird52 wrote:
No one watches safety demos. The only solution is for the overheads to go.

Just one case of a death due to a misplaced bag that contains life-sustaining medicine (e.g., insulin for diabetics) will more than outweigh whatever is to be gained by this.

speedbird52

Mon May 06, 2019 12:42 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

Just one case of a death due to a misplaced bag that contains life-sustaining medicine (e.g., insulin for diabetics) will more than outweigh whatever is to be gained by this.

Out of genuine curiosity wouldn't bags like that be able to fit underneath the seat?

cpd

Mon May 06, 2019 12:46 am

Airbuser wrote:
I just saw a video of the plane when it first touched down. It did not appear to be on fire. It bounced came down and hit the tail then the fire started. ABC news.

That was an enormous bounce and then a huge final impact - then the fire. Another site quotes sources saying it was hit by lightning before landing.

Planes are designed to cope with lightning, surely?
Last edited by cpd on Mon May 06, 2019 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aesma

Mon May 06, 2019 12:50 am

I wonder if some passengers in the back were hurt due to the harsh landing itself, and were unable to evacuate ?

Going from "everyone evacuated" to "half the people on board died" is saddening, and proof some people will report things that bear no relation to reality...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

N757ST

Mon May 06, 2019 12:52 am

cpd wrote:
Airbuser wrote:
I just saw a video of the plane when it first touched down. It did not appear to be on fire. It bounced came down and hit the tail then the fire started. ABC news.

That was an enormous bounce and then a huge victory impact - then the fire. Another site quotes sources saying it was hit by lightning before landing.

Planes are designed to cope with lightning, surely?

I’ve been struck 5 times. Haven’t crashed yet.

SonomaFlyer

Mon May 06, 2019 12:53 am

If they were in direct law and given that landing, I had a hard time telling if they were able to deploy flaps/slats. Didn't seem like flaps deployed. That would explain the high speed landing.

SurlyBonds

Mon May 06, 2019 12:55 am

speedbird52 wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

Out of genuine curiosity wouldn't bags like that be able to fit underneath the seat?

If you're going to continue letting people store luggage under their seat, what's the point of eliminating overhead bins? For all we know, the bags we saw getting carried off during this evacuation were under-seat bags.

many321

Mon May 06, 2019 12:59 am

Rest in power for those who've passed on.

Seeing the footage from inside is beyond horrifying.

FlyingElvii

Mon May 06, 2019 12:59 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:

If you're going to continue letting people store luggage under their seat, what's the point of eliminating overhead bins? For all we know, the bags we saw getting carried off during this evacuation were under-seat bags.

Look again at the video. The evac was going quickly, until people started jumping with baggage. Then it slowed down considerably.

timpdx

Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 am

Aesma wrote:

Going from "everyone evacuated" to "half the people on board died" is saddening, and proof some people will report things that bear no relation to reality...

No. Its the media age we live in to report SOMETHING right NOW! that leads to initial poor "breaking news" stories like this one. It takes time to sort out the news, despite our desire to know everything right now.

I, for one, looked at the evac video and just instantly knew unless the plane was half empty, there were people dead. I mean fire was in the windows insanely quickly and you can see the aircraft skin was gone shortly after - you see just fire and the ribbing. It was incredible how fast it happened...and how few people were getting off.

Everyone needs to take initial reports and breaking news with a HUGE grain of salt.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

Wayfarer515

Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 am

Russian forums have stated the following so far:

1) Struck by lightning which fried all avionics, only direct law was available.
2) Landing weight was 42T, 1 ton ovet MLW
3) Transponder was switched from 7600 to 7700, but no radio contact was available or possible.
4) Landing speed was around 155knots, bounced twice and broke in final bounce, supposedly fragments of the MLG ruptured the fuel tanks

KlimaBXsst

Mon May 06, 2019 1:06 am

Aesma wrote:
I wonder if some passengers in the back were hurt due to the harsh landing itself, and were unable to evacuate ?

Exactly .... if the integrity of the cabin was breached... by the impact of the second bounce crash... the passenger cabin floor may even have given way trapping the poor souls in the back for all we know at this stage.

Think back to Asiana in SFO. Fortunately in this SFO accident the responders were there quickly to assist. There is much to be learned regarding this SSJ disaster.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

washingtonflyer

Mon May 06, 2019 1:07 am

Well that video is beyond chilling. The prevalence and proliferation of camera technology really is disturbingly amazing given the number of crashes we've seen in vivid color.

The 9/11 crashes.
    National 102
    Asiana 214

Now this one.

danman132x

Mon May 06, 2019 1:16 am

There's a new video I have not seen posted yet in review of the board. Inside landing video, still in motion:

https://youtu.be/9tEwozrlSt8

speedbird52

Mon May 06, 2019 1:16 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
    speedbird52 wrote:
    SurlyBonds wrote:

People stopping to open up the lockers and take the bags out take a lot more time than people just carrying their bags. Additionally, if your bag is under your seat, at worst you block two other people from escaping. With overhead lockers, you block hundreds

SuseJ772

Mon May 06, 2019 1:21 am

danman132x wrote:
    There's a new video I have not seen posted yet in review of the board. Inside landing video, still in motion:

That definitely looks like the wing is penetrated. The fire down the runway is pretty horrifying as well
    Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

timpdx

Mon May 06, 2019 1:30 am

Leading edge slats look deployed in that new video. Freaking terrifying, though!
    Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA

speedbird52

Mon May 06, 2019 1:30 am

danman132x wrote:

Dear God

MSNfan

Mon May 06, 2019 1:35 am

D L X wrote:
    Armadillo1 wrote:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1125121672212828162

Shit, man. You need to warn people about this stuff!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more horrifying video.

I agree, that is a lot to see without some sort of warning before clicking on the contents...
    Dentistry: Because everyone smiles in the same language!

N809FR

Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 am

speedbird52 wrote:
    danman132x wrote:

Dear God

My reaction as well. How terrifying that must have been. Horribly saddened that the initial reports of everyone surviving proved to be false.

LAXBUR

Mon May 06, 2019 1:42 am

I’m not for censorship but there should be some care posting these interior videos. Those screams are of some people that are about to die. Not quite the same as watching the incident from outside cameras.

FlyKBHM

Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 am

First, a prayer for those lost and their families. Truly horrifying in all regards.

Regarding the fire behavior inside the forward section of the aircraft, as Clancy688 noted in the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCybSEQuP0I evacuation video around the 0:10 mark, light gray smoke exits the L1 door as soon as it was opened. No smoke is visible at R1 at the same time. Given the rear half of the cabin was engulfed in a fuel-fed fire, how long before the forward cabin experienced flash over conditions? Has any video surfaced showing the door conditions when the *last* survivor exited (the above video ends when persons are still leaving)? I can't imagine that life-sustaining conditions were available at the L1 and L2 doors for much more than 50 seconds once the a/c stopped. The more that is revealed about this crash from video and data, the more amazed I am that as many survived as are now reported.

*Assuming* the cabin was well breached by impacts and/or fire, this wouldn't be a case like Air Canada 797 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_797) or Saudi 163 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163) where sudden introduction of oxygen through opened overwing exits and doors allowed explosive fire growth.Fuel-fed fire with the right engine still running, blowing foam away and force-feeding oxygen to the fire - it would have been like a blast furnace. While we're all interested in the timeline and response of the fire fighters, I doubt the best aircraft firefighters in the world could have done much upon arrival to lower the number of casualties towards the rear of the a/c in this case. :-(

Continental767

Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 am

danman132x wrote:

This is the most chilling thing I’ve ever seen. How incredibly horrifying it must have been. By the time they came to a halt the fire was likely mid way through the cabin.

But yet, the wing certainly does look punctured from this view. And all the fire down the runway is likely from the leaking gas as they came to a stop.

Wow. Just wow. I really thought no one was killed and here we are, just a few hours later with 41 deaths.
    Indianapolis.

mysfit

Mon May 06, 2019 2:11 am

That fire was hot and fast whe the plane was moving. All kinds of smoke, noxious gases and no visibility. Those people in back never had a chance.

Venatt

Mon May 06, 2019 2:23 am

I think its a miracle 37 people survived this crash-landing because it could've been a lot lot worse if the plane had flipped over like that Fedex MD11 in Narita some years ago that first bounced on the runway just like the SSJ, but then it flipped over and erupted in a complete fire ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZvbPyt8n20
    Last edited by Venatt on Mon May 06, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TW870

Mon May 06, 2019 2:25 am

If you watch that 10 second video of the landing, you can see that the second impact was extremely hard, and happened at a nose-up deck angle. That impact was an extremely hard tail strike. What we can't see the immediate effect of the impact on the aft fuselage. Once the landing gear breached the wings, they were losing fuel rapidly and igniting it. If the fuselage was breached from the tail strike, the aft cabin would have gotten hot and smoky very fast, especially if air was also propelling the fuel spray and resulting fire. I am a former flight attendant and very much understand the frustration about people removing their carry-on luggage. Depending on the nature of that second impact, though, this may have been a difficult crash to survive for those seated aft of the wings even in a textbook evacuation. My condolences to all of the friends and families of the people lost in the accident.

fpetrutiu

Mon May 06, 2019 2:29 am

I think this video confirms my assumptions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tEwozr ... e=youtu.be

That wing looks punctured and on fire as all hell. Kudos to the crew for landing that one, they did not have a moment to spare. Those that made it off alive are very lucky, a few more moments and the fire would have melted that wing off and that would have been the end.

This looks very much like an uncontained engine failure that ruptured the wing tank. RIP to those that perished. Now at 41.
    Florin
    Orlando, FL

N766UA

Mon May 06, 2019 2:33 am

That appears to be an absolutely pathetic, unacceptable response by ARFF.

zeke

Mon May 06, 2019 2:34 am

fpetrutiu wrote:
    This looks very much like an uncontained engine failure that ruptured the wing tank. RIP to those that perished. Now at 41.

Could be the landing gear, or even a failure of the wing itself from the landing
    Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

bcworld

Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 am

fpetrutiu wrote:
    This looks very much like an uncontained engine failure that ruptured the wing tank.

If you watch the video of the bounce on landing it does not look anything like that at all. The plane is not on fire when it first hits the runway.

dragon6172

Mon May 06, 2019 2:36 am

fpetrutiu wrote:
    I think this video confirms my assumptions:

I encourage you to watch the video of the landings. You should find your assumptions are probably off target
    Phrogs Phorever

Spacepope

Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 am

zeke wrote:
    fpetrutiu wrote:

Could be the landing gear, or even a failure of the wing itself from the landing

I tend to agree. Aren’t landing gear supposed to fail in a way where they don’t rupture the tanks and do, well, this though? The Yakutia incident not too long ago had ruptured tanks as well but luckily they didn’t ignite.
    The last of the famous international playboys

fpetrutiu

Mon May 06, 2019 2:41 am

zeke wrote:
    fpetrutiu wrote:

Actually, I think you are right. This video: https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1125123879352119297 suggests the plane touched down, bounced up and touched again very very hard, possibly driving the main gear through the wing rupturing the fuel tank.
    Florin
    Orlando, FL

zeke

Mon May 06, 2019 2:43 am

Spacepope wrote:
    I tend to agree. Aren’t landing gear supposed to fail in a way where they don’t rupture the tanks and do, well, this though? The Yakutia incident not too long ago had ruptured tanks as well but luckily they didn’t ignite.

There was a MD11 that had the wing fail on landing at NRT, and the BA777 at LHR from memory also had the wings tank puncture. Then the famous Concorde.
    Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

shamrock350

Mon May 06, 2019 3:01 am

Waking up to hear the death toll has increased so dramatically is gut-wrenching, what a terrible tragedy this has turned out to be.

Sincere condolences to all those affected, the ones who were lost, their families, friends and colleagues. RIP.

mcdu

Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 am

fpetrutiu wrote:
    I think this video confirms my assumptions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tEwozr ... e=youtu.be

That wing looks punctured and on fire as all hell. Kudos to the crew for landing that one, they did not have a moment to spare. Those that made it off alive are very lucky, a few more moments and the fire would have melted that wing off and that would have been the end.

Based on the video of the landing and the bounce it certainly didn’t look like an uncontained engine failure. Looks like the gear was either driven through the wind or broke aft and opened the fuel tanks to the hot engine exhaust and the fuel ignited. Didn’t appear to have sign of fire until the second touchdown.

mr02

Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 am

zeke wrote:
    Spacepope wrote:

There was a MD11 that had the wing fail on landing at NRT, and the BA777 at LHR from memory also had the wings tank puncture. Then the famous Concorde.

Didn't the Concorde sick in debris?

FlyKBHM

Mon May 06, 2019 3:06 am

Best exterior videos I've found on the evacuation from the R1 door at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCybSEQuP0I and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugc0tTyFvD8.

Syncing unique common events in the videos, like the ******* blocking the exit and then jumping out with his roll-aboard suitcase around 0:30, the videos from the two different views align with the video time of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCybSEQuP0I being three seconds (00:03) later than the video time of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugc0tTyFvD8.

The first person is on the slide 0:05 after R1 door opens. Incredibly, *nobody exits from 0:46 until 1:01*, when the last three persons exit in quick succession. The last person shown exiting R1 is at 1:08 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugc0tTyFvD8.

bcworld

Mon May 06, 2019 3:09 am

mr02 wrote:
    zeke wrote:
    Spacepope wrote:

Assuming you mean suck, no. Debris was flicked up off the runway puncturing the wing and fuel tank.

timpdx

Mon May 06, 2019 3:17 am

Technically, no. A metal strip from a Continental flight caused a tire puncture and tire debris struck the underside (no puncture of fuselage/wing). The huge shockwave of the tire impact caused a fuel tank rupture which was then ignited by engine heat IIRC. (Just wiki'ed it and the actual ignition was attributable to either the engine or electrical arcing from the gear systems)

cpd

Mon May 06, 2019 3:20 am

bcworld wrote:
    mr02 wrote:
    zeke wrote:

Assuming you mean suck, no. Debris was flicked up off the runway puncturing the wing and fuel tank.

Not quite. It ruptured from inside out (long explanation needed - would be off topic). So different to this Superjet.

The Concorde fire was likely caused by sparking from broken electrical wiring in the undercarriage, not from the engine.

What we do have this time is the benefit of video to paint a clearer picture of what happened, however awful it is.

ltbewr

Mon May 06, 2019 3:37 am

One has to wonder if indeed there was a lighting strike that knocked out the planes' electronic control systems. If that is true, then there is, like in other ways with the 737MAX, a serious design flaw in this model aircraft. Then again, it could just be a freak set of circumstances that wouldn't happen once in 10 or 20 years.

Yes, 41 people were lost, but just as many survived this horrible crash in parts due to proper actions by the pilots and maybe some luck. Hopefully the recorders can be recovered, that they were not damaged in the fire, and that the possible electrical problem didn't hurt their ability to record.

c933103

Mon May 06, 2019 3:48 am

https://tourism.interfax.ru/ru/news/articles/58769
    "Due to lightning, according to preliminary data, communication with the dispatcher was lost. Then all the automation failed. The crew did not produce fuel. The plane went to land in excess of the landing mass and a large flight of about 1400 meters. As a result, the landing occurred in the middle of the strip. The landing gear collapsed. Its elements may have got into the engine, which caught fire," — said the source.

Also the article wording seems to imply that 37 person have been confirmed survive but that doesn't mean 41 people are dead, just that 41 people could die from the accident?
    Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

dashdrvr

Mon May 06, 2019 3:51 am

From the twitter feed it looks like a huge bounce followed by an in incredibly hard landing that started the fire. It would seem the outcome would have been much better with a correct bounced landing recovery(most aircraft it is a missed approach).

JayinKitsap

Mon May 06, 2019 3:59 am

Lightning strikes get up to 100+ amps at 35 kv or more. Yes planes are designed for lightning, but if the bond cable isn't big it can well exceed ampacity which has the current path weld all the bearings and contact points. So it is like designing for a 100 year flood, but things go sideways when it is a 250 year event.

khobar95

Mon May 06, 2019 3:59 am

People seem to think pax just jump up and run for the exits, but they have to wait until instructed to evacuate. In AA383 it was 31 seconds between the aircraft stop and the first pax on the slide. BA2276 took about the same.

From the videos posted of this SSJ, by 41 seconds it appears the entire rear fuselage is burned through. Food for thought.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos