shamrock350

Re: Aeroflot SSJ100 on fire at Moscow (SVO)

Sun May 05, 2019 7:04 pm

While it's very possible the fire was a consequence of a gear up landing, it was very, very advanced as the aircraft was still at considerable speed down the runway and the aftermath photos show the wings, engines and mid-forward fuselage near untouched while the tail is completely destroyed which suggests the fire was most intense in this area and may have started here prior to touchdown.

JayinKitsap

Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm

the SSJ100 has had crashes before.
Indonesian in 2012 was one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Moun ... rjet_crash

6 incidents listed in database, for 155+ jets in service not a great record.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/ty ... -100/index
Last edited by JayinKitsap on Sun May 05, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicrab

Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm

If there's a picture of this plane with its tail on fire mid-air - I don't think I want to see it.

giosue61

Sun May 05, 2019 7:07 pm

If you look at this video https://youtu.be/fuBSfoBgb7U as well as others, you just have the feeling that the fire equipment is not coming in. Not only they were not waiting for the emergency landing, but they’re literally not arriving. 4-5 minutes and counting.... In Sheremetevo airport...
Not to mention that ridiculous car with it’s amber flashing.
Last edited by giosue61 on Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnAudiR18

Sun May 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Hey guys, one outlet reporting as many as 13 deaths. https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/05/europe ... cnn.com%2F

aviatorcraig

Sun May 05, 2019 7:10 pm

It is so easy for us to sit at home or in the office on airliners.net in our safe environment and criticise people in an evacuation taking their hand luggage with them. These people have just gone from "normal" to a major traumatising, life threatening event in seconds and survival instincts kick in. Part of those survival instincts are to get yourself and your belongings to safety and back to "normal" as soon as possible.
I would bet if questioned later they do not even remember collecting their carry-on.
This will almost certainly be a once in a lifetime event for those involved and threatening passengers with legal action will make no difference at all. We have seen it happen repeatedly in the past and will see it happen in the future unless pax are physically seperated from their belongings.
Last edited by aviatorcraig on Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

aviatorcraig

Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 pm

It is so easy for us to sit at home or in the office on airliners.net in our safe environment and criticise people in an evacuation taking their hand luggage with them. These people have just gone from "normal" to a major traumatising, life threatening event in seconds and survival instincts kick in. Part of those survival instincts are to get yourself and your belongings to safety and back to "normal" as soon as possible.
I would bet if questioned later they do not even remember collecting their carry-on.
This will almost certainly be a once in a lifetime event for those involved and threatening passengers with legal action will make no difference at all. We have seen it happen repeatedly in the past and will see it happen in the future unless pax are physically seperated from their belongings.
Last edited by aviatorcraig on Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

WayexTDI

Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:

THANK. YOU!!!

People think they know how they'll react when an emergency strikes; most people would be irrational if it happened to them.
They think they'd be the first ones out with no carry-on and such; the sad truth is that they might be the ones delaying the evacuation even more by arguing or fighting with passengers that do not evacuate as quickly as they'd wish.

shamrock350

Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 pm

giosue61 wrote:
If you look at this video https://youtu.be/fuBSfoBgb7U as well as others, you just have the feeling that the fire equipment is not coming in. Not only they were not waiting for the emergency landing, but they’re literally not arriving. 4-5 minutes and counting.... In Sheremetevo airport. Imagine Siberia.

While the footage does show what appears to be a long wait and definitely no emergency services awaiting the arrival, rumours are that ATC lost contact with the aircraft which might go some way explaining the lack of emergency vehicles on standby.

Aftermath photos show the fire was out before it could destroy the entire frame, the forward section is fully intact for example.

Aesma

Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Scary video, looks like the Concorde crash, except at least it's landing.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was un uncontained engine failure leading to holes in the fuel tanks.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

spacecookie

Sun May 05, 2019 7:17 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:

No sir
Just a dump person thinks about luggage if a plane is on fire.
I could not care less about material stuff if someone can got hurt

LHUSA

Sun May 05, 2019 7:18 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:

This is exactly why it's so important to listen to safety videos - one's sole purpose should be to save themselves, not their belongings. I personally cannot imagine wasting a single extra second reaching for my bag - I would be laser-focused on getting the hell out! The number of fatalities may have been lower had those passengers not taken their belongings with them - in an evacuation like this, every nanosecond matters for those stuck in the back of the aircraft.

mila

Sun May 05, 2019 7:25 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
the SSJ100 has had crashes before.
Indonesian in 2012 was one

But if you remove those that are not related to the a/c I guess there is no fatal.

Blerg

Sun May 05, 2019 7:27 pm

spacecookie wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

No sir

I usually travel with a business bag or a backpack which I rarely put in the overhead compartment, usually it's between my legs or under the seat in front of me. So in an emergency I would pull it up and leave the plane. Someone like you would attack me for holding up the line while in reality that's not the case. Maybe we shouldn't rush to judgement and to attack people just like that.

Aesma

Sun May 05, 2019 7:27 pm

DutchBoeing wrote:
They knew something was wrong with the a/c coming in and there were no fire trucks waiting at the runway. That worries me more than anything else about Russian airport / aviation safety...

Maybe they were waiting at a spot deemed the most appropriate for such an incident, like at the end of the runway, to the side ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

FlyingElvii

Sun May 05, 2019 7:28 pm

gosheto wrote:
gosheto wrote:
Wow, glad there are no fatalities. I find it strange that, at least on the videos I saw, it does not seem like they were met by any fire engines?

may be we spoke too soon. according to latest news, there are indeed some fatalities :(

I think this makes it more important to know where the fire crews were? as I understand, they did know, the plane is coming back with an emergency!

From the video, it looks like the first guy on the scene is driving the Lav Truck...

Finn350

Sun May 05, 2019 7:29 pm

Here is the flight SU1492 track as per the Flightradar24

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 2#20671283

FlyingElvii

Sun May 05, 2019 7:32 pm

yfbflyer wrote:
You can see in the video the plane is on fire and people are still evacuating with their carry on luggage.

This is what kills people in a crash like this...
Not the first time, either. Lave the damn bag, and get off the airplane. Your IPad can be replaced.

9w748capt

Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm

spacecookie wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

No sir

Yup. I'm sorry but that is just absurd. There is nothing you can't replace except for a human life. If you have something else irreplaceable, probably shouldn't take it on an airplane.

c933103

Sun May 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Finn350 wrote:

That flight path doesn't really look like missed approach that was reported by some other sites?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

shamrock350

Sun May 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Blerg wrote:
spacecookie wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

No sir

I usually travel with a business bag or a backpack which I rarely put in the overhead compartment, usually it's between my legs or under the seat in front of me. So in an emergency I would pull it up and leave the plane. Someone like you would attack me for holding up the line while in reality that's not the case. Maybe we shouldn't rush to judgement and to attack people just like that.

It's not just the speed it takes to retrieve the item but the risk of it causing an obstruction during the evacuation itself. Just image what could happen if everyone thought along the same lines as you, grabbing the small backpack, duty free or camera bag from under the seat and running. All it would take take is for one person to drop it in the aisle and for another person to trip over it for there to be a disaster.

There's a reason you're requested to leave everything behind.

nordikcam

Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Blerg wrote:
spacecookie wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

No sir

Fortunately, the crew of AF 358 managed to evacuate 300 passengers in 90 seconds during the Toronto crash ... plane completely destroyed ... and not a dead person! But the passengers did not have luggage ...!

Armadillo1

Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 pm

https://youtu.be/RMwJkZ7QLY4
from russian forum:
reported direct law, radio problem.
transponder 7600
than 7700

lighting strike - different sources yes or no.
Last edited by Armadillo1 on Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlyingElvii

Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

THANK. YOU!!!

People think they know how they'll react when an emergency strikes; most people would be irrational if it happened to them.
They think they'd be the first ones out with no carry-on and such; the sad truth is that they might be the ones delaying the evacuation even more by arguing or fighting with passengers that do not evacuate as quickly as they'd wish.

Sorry, but if you stop in front of me to get a bag from the overhead during an evac, I will be chucking you through the door ahead of me by your hair and belt. There is no time to be nice in this situation. There will be enough panic, as it is.

sergegva

Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 pm

Armadillo1 wrote:
https://youtu.be/RMwJkZ7QLY4
from russian forum:
reported direct law, radio problem.
transponder 7600
than 7700

lighting strike - different sources yes or no.

...and no fire before landing.

FlyingElvii

Sun May 05, 2019 7:48 pm

c933103 wrote:
Finn350 wrote:

That flight path doesn't really look like missed approach that was reported by some other sites?

It looks like a 360 to bleed off speed or altitude.

ozark1

Sun May 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
This is what pilots get paid for. They don't go to training to learn normal procedures, but fires, failures, loss of controllability etc..

That’s what flight attendants get paid for as well. I value my annual emergency training and always learn something new.

Thunderbolt500

Sun May 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Yahoo says 13 dead at the moment

curlyheadboy

Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 pm

musicrab wrote:
If there's a picture of this plane with its tail on fire mid-air - I don't think I want to see it.

I'm quite incline to think you won't see it, aircraft slamming on the runway, bouncing off and bursting into flames is a lot more likely, more or less the same footage of the FedEx MD-11 in Japan some 10 years ago (minus the cartwheel, of course).
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

alfa164

Sun May 05, 2019 7:55 pm

mila wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
MoonC wrote:
Sukhoi Superjet of Aeroflot. RA-89089

That seems to be a problem-plagued aircraft type.

How do you mean, has there been many problems with this aircraft type?

In a word, yes. While some people have attributed most of the problems to a parts-supply issue, the fact that replacement parts are constantly needed is not a good sign either. It is a relatively new aircraft.

JayinKitsap has more data here:

JayinKitsap wrote:
the SSJ100 has had crashes before. Indonesian in 2012 was one

Finn350 wrote:
Looks like the fire was caused by a hard landing or an unsuccessful go-around attempt.

How would an unsuccessful go-around cause a fire?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Armadillo1

Sun May 05, 2019 7:59 pm

officially 13 dead, including 2 children

one sources sayd 1 of survives 25% body burns

robbo2k

Sun May 05, 2019 8:01 pm

FlyingElvii

Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Finn350 wrote:
Looks like the fire was caused by a hard landing or an unsuccessful go-around attempt.

How would an unsuccessful go-around cause a fire?[/quote]

When the gear collapses, as is shown it the vid.

tu204

Sun May 05, 2019 8:03 pm

He wasn't on fire before the hard landing...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125122587598651393

Looks like that second impact was hard enough to puncture the fuel tanks. Which isn't good either since from what I remember the mains are supposed to shear off without puncturing your fuel tanks so that something like this doesn't happen.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125121064491782145
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

OA940

Sun May 05, 2019 8:03 pm

That inside footage is actually terrifying. Add that in to that exterior footage that shows it bouncing like 20 feet in the air and you have a hell of a landing
A350/CSeries = bae

Aesma

Sun May 05, 2019 8:05 pm

So looks like landing gear rupturing fuel tanks due to very hard landing.

edu2703

tu204 wrote:
He wasn't on fire before the hard landing...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125122587598651393

Looks like that second impact was hard enough to puncture the fuel tanks. Which isn't good either since from what I remember the mains are supposed to shear off without puncturing your fuel tanks so that something like this doesn't happen.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125121064491782145

Yep! Looks like Fedex Flight 80 all over again

IWMBH

Armadillo1 wrote:

RT confirmed it, such a tragedy.

https://www.rt.com/news/458442-superjec ... dics-dead/

WayexTDI

Sun May 05, 2019 8:06 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
aviatorcraig wrote:

THANK. YOU!!!

Sorry, but if you stop in front of me to get a bag from the overhead during an evac, I will be chucking you through the door ahead of me by your hair and belt. There is no time to be nice in this situation. There will be enough panic, as it is.

Look at the tough guy behind a keyboard...

Unless you personally have been in such a situation, you have no clue (zero, zilch, nada) on how you would react. You might be the one reaching for your bag, you might be running in circles freaking out; you don't know.
Heck, I don't even know how I would react. I would hope I could stay cold headed; but, when you have a raging fire licking your hair and you're sitting on tons of jet fuel, all sanity is thrown out of the window.

Easy to blame others.
Remember the Bible? "He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her"

captainmeeerkat

Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm

I'm more interested in knowing why did they decide to return to SVO and why the landing was so catastrophic? That kind of landing is certainly not normal and indicative of a more serious problem before the hard landing/bounce
my luggage is better travelled than me!

c933103

Sun May 05, 2019 8:10 pm

https://www.interfax.ru/moscow/660212
According to Russian report, the evacuation was rather quick, but some passengers trying to take their personal belonging from luggage rack have made it difficult for passengers at the back to evacuate and thus caused their death.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Jouhou

Sun May 05, 2019 8:11 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
THANK. YOU!!!

Look at the tough guy behind a keyboard...

Unless you personally have been in such a situation, you have no clue (zero, zilch, nada) on how you would react. You might be the one reaching for your bag, you might be running in circles freaking out; you don't know.
Heck, I don't even know how I would react. I would hope I could stay cold headed; but, when you have a raging fire licking your hair and you're sitting on tons of jet fuel, all sanity is thrown out of the window.

Easy to blame others.
Remember the Bible? "He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her"

No he's right, when people fail to take an emergency seriously and don't evacuate immediately, and they are blocking your safe exit, you make them leave. I've definitely done it before in a building evacuation, grabbed a dudes stuff and threw it out the door, started pushing peop!e outside.

TexStones

Sun May 05, 2019 8:11 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:
It is so easy for us to sit at home or in the office on airliners.net in our safe environment and criticise people in an evacuation taking their hand luggage with them.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, this incident shows that this behavior may lead to additional endangerment or loss of life. How can we prevent this behavior?

The solution is actually pretty simple: lock the overhead compartments during takeoff and landing. The tech probably already exists, and while it would be expensive to implement it would certainly help save lives in situations such as this.

CairnterriAIR

Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
yfbflyer wrote:
You can see in the video the plane is on fire and people are still evacuating with their carry on luggage.

This is what kills people in a crash like this...
Not the first time, either. Lave the damn bag, and get off the airplane. Your IPad can be replaced.

Totally agree, however if my dog is inside her flightbag under my seat, I’m either grabbing that bag and running, or I’m going down with her with the burning aircraft.

gatibosgru

Sun May 05, 2019 8:13 pm

aviatorcraig wrote:

If someone dies due to my actions, and it wasn't intentional, it is still manslaughter. There is no "we weren't thinking" involved. This is why the crew emphasizes that you should pay attention to the safety video/instruction and read the seat back.

While I am sure it was all overwhelming and it wasn't their intent, but they do say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
@DadCelo

SpaceshipDC10

Sun May 05, 2019 8:13 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
It looks like a 360 to bleed off speed or altitude.

If you check the speed and altitude graph, you'll see it was speed as altitude was around 3000-4000ft. Interestingly just before the end (on the graph) speed was going up from 141kts to 148 in the last 16 seconds.

davidjohnson6

Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Will the SSJ be grounded as a temporary precaution whilst accident investigators do their work ?

IWMBH

Sun May 05, 2019 8:17 pm

c933103 wrote:
https://www.interfax.ru/moscow/660212
According to Russian report, the evacuation was rather quick, but some passengers trying to take their personal belonging from luggage rack have made it difficult for passengers at the back to evacuate and thus caused their death.

Wow... it seems a little early to tell this caused the deaths.

Spetsnaz55

Sun May 05, 2019 8:19 pm

Armadillo1 wrote:

Ti ruski? Very sad day today

FredrikHAD

Sun May 05, 2019 8:19 pm

In the BA 777 fire at LAS a couple of years ago, fire engines swarmed the aircraft in no time compared to this. There, the fire crew ran to their engines even before the alarm sounded because they heard a noise that sounded "no good". Here, the pilots lost comms, and that alone should have alerted ATC something was not right. It seems ATC even let two flights land ahead of the SSJ! How could they do that with the SSJ circling without clearance? Surely ATC must have realized something was entirely out of order, and standard procedure must be (even in Russia) to alert the rescue forces, right?

As a former airport fire fighter, when looking at the only video can find of the ARFF (Airport Rescure and Fire Fighting) actions, it is surprising to see that the only two fire engines visible are rear of the aircraft, risking smoke exposure, having limited visibility of the accident scene and seemingly trying to suppress the flames on the tarmac instead of cooling the fuselage. Also, spraying foam through the fire towards the evac area may not be a good idea. Methods may have changed and may be different in Russia, but our main objective when fighting a fire like this would be to cool the fuselage to keep the pax cool. If the fuselage can be kept cool, the window of opportunity to evacuate is kept open much longer. If no cooling occurs, the temperature inside the cabin rises sharply after some 90 seconds in a case like this. The second ARFF vehicle can start to suppress the flames, but the first one always cools the fuselage. That said, if the fire indeed started inside the cabin, the cooling efforts may not have been that successful, but the actions by the first ARFF vehicle still seems lame, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong!

/Fredrik

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos