clancy688

Re: Updated: Aeroflot 1492 SSJ100 fire at Moscow (SVO) - 40+ confirmed dead

Mon May 06, 2019 8:14 am

Appie88 wrote:
Not sure, this picture shows an ARFF on scene during evacuation

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ypAZjdiXX1w/ ... 2Bnews.jpg

Can someone sync this picture with the time in the video?

2:12 here: https://youtu.be/-5OnYm5uIE8?t=132

Appie88

Mon May 06, 2019 8:23 am

xmp125a wrote:
seahawk wrote:
The rear fuselage was burned through around the 0:40 mark, the last 3 persons to evacuate all wear dark clothing, that look like crew uniforms, probably the FA and the pilots after checking for any remaining passengers in the accessible area. Imho anybody sitting behind the engines had no chance at all.

Pilots left the cockpit via windows+evacuation ropes. At least, initial reports stated so (of course they also stated everyone evacuated safely, so a grain of salt here is needed).

Yes, at least 1 pilot is left cockpit via rope. Seen in this video at 02:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5OnYm5 ... e=youtu.be

LTU932

Mon May 06, 2019 8:46 am

SKAirbus wrote:
With the 737MAX and Dreamliner issues (specifically the former) I don't think anyone should be throwing stones in respect of Russian aircraft. Instead we should show some respect for the people who lost their lives.
But people still will throw stones, especially the media which needs the clickbait to turn a buck in ad revenue. With that being said, give me official safety records of the aircraft if you want to convince me that an aircraft is unsafe.

And yes, we should pay our respects to those who died, however we should not forget about those who obstructed the evacuation because of their need to get their luggage out of the aircraft, because those people may be IMO potentially guilty of murder.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

seahawk

Mon May 06, 2019 8:47 am

Appie88 wrote:
xmp125a wrote:
seahawk wrote:
The rear fuselage was burned through around the 0:40 mark, the last 3 persons to evacuate all wear dark clothing, that look like crew uniforms, probably the FA and the pilots after checking for any remaining passengers in the accessible area. Imho anybody sitting behind the engines had no chance at all.

Pilots left the cockpit via windows+evacuation ropes. At least, initial reports stated so (of course they also stated everyone evacuated safely, so a grain of salt here is needed).

The fire services really do not look good in the video. Spaying the burning fuel towards the only useable exists was not brilliant.

ikarlson

Mon May 06, 2019 8:54 am

This morning video from crash site, https://youtu.be/ALl-eb1o0h4

PW100

Re: Aeroflot SSJ100 on fire at Moscow (SVO)

Mon May 06, 2019 9:09 am

speedbird52 wrote:
VeeCee wrote:
usxguy wrote:
except it probably was the direct cause of many of these people dying.

Do you also support prosecuting pilots when people are injured or killed due to pilot error?

In cases of gross negligence, yes.

There is big difference between highly trained professionals, and your average passenger.

Further, I'am very hesitant to put judgement on someone's actions in a life-threatening time-critical situation. Not to mention the comfort of my own cosy room as a keyboard warrior . . .
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

richardc1983

Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 am

Hey everyone, I used to be a regular on this forum but cannot access my old account as I no longer have access to the email account I had it registered with.

In the external videos, does anyone notice the smoke billowing out of what looks to be a triangular piece sticking up on the top of the fuselage? Looks to be some sort of vent. Also on some of the videos one of the engines look to be running still, I guess they will have initiated the shut down but does this differ in an emergency situation is there a switch that can be flicked like you would in a factory to shut everything down quickly?

The video that was posted from the interior of the plane when it landed shows that smoke is coming in, I can’t tell if this looks to be coming through the vents. So do you think the air conditioning system will have been pumping in smoke from the engines or would the pilots have shut these down knowing there was a fire?

That bing bong sound though which we all hear throughout every flight is haunting.

seahawk

Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am

Regarding the hand luggage look at it from a practical point of view. Say the passenger in the aisle seat has a bag under the front seat or more likely between his own feet. The fastest way for him to get up, is pull the bag to his lap and get out. He can then hardly put the bag back, as it would hinder the next passenger in the row from exiting the row, he can not drop it in the aisle, he can not drop it at the door.

WIederling

Mon May 06, 2019 9:39 am

seahawk wrote:
Regarding the hand luggage look at it from a practical point of view. Say the passenger in the aisle seat has a bag under the front seat or more likely between his own feet. The fastest way for him to get up, is pull the bag to his lap and get out. He can then hardly put the bag back, as it would hinder the next passenger in the row from exiting the row, he can not drop it in the aisle, he can not drop it at the door.

Object of dissent probably is access to overhead bins ( that represents a massive holdup: try to find your bag in a smoked environment ).
Murphy is an optimist

Buyantukhaa

Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 am

ikarlson wrote:

At 0:25 you can see what appears to be the left MLG, through the wing.
At 0:53, the R2 door appears not to have been opened, L2 door hard to tell.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

juliuswong

Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am

Buyantukhaa wrote:
ikarlson wrote:

At 0:25 you can see what appears to be the left MLG, through the wing.
At 0:53, the R2 door appears not to have been opened, L2 door hard to tell.

Like what some have mentioned I think both doors at the back had been consumed by fire by the time they touched down. As the aircraft slided down the runway, back half was raging in fire. Those 41 who didn't make it could've been incinerated by then. Especially the crew sitting at back galley.

God speed.
Last edited by juliuswong on Mon May 06, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

clancy688

Mon May 06, 2019 10:03 am

ikarlson wrote:

Is that a flight data recorder at 0:59?

Waterbomber2

Mon May 06, 2019 10:11 am

Appie88 wrote:
xmp125a wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Bravo to the flight crew. In this video, one climbed back on through the slides after evacuating with the rope and several crew members only jumped out when the situation became unbearable, trying to save lives at risk of own life until the very last possible second.

Firefighters also trying to climb into an engulfed plane with the ladder.

Bravo, I don't know if I would have the guts to do that.

MartijnNL

Mon May 06, 2019 10:13 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Having been in a burning building a few times and in an airplane, why anyone would want to stick around for any longer than it takes them to run away is beyond me. An airplane on fire is no place to delay evacuating.

Maybe some people stick around, because they are trying to save others?

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I do hope they throw the book at any responsible. And, if you’re between me and the exit of burning run or be kicked in the ass by size 9 boots.

What good will throwing the book bring? Can't we just learn from accidents? And, luckily I am not between you and a fire. We would probably get in a fight, because of your aggressive behaviour.

eielef

Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 am

Here you can see a short video of the plane today... It's a miracle somebody even survived! https://www.kp.ru/daily/26973/4031312/

Pentaprism

Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 am

Do the Crew normally carry a Satellite phone? I assumed they would in case of Radio Issues but several things I have read suggest that after radio connection was lost no communication with the Tower was possible. Response from ES may have been better if communication was maintained. Some comments have suggested the loss of radio contact stopped them from dumping fuel.

I love the SSJ and have always wanted to fly one but it does concern me the MLG (apparently) penetrated the Fuel Tank. According to one comment I read this also happened in the Yakutsk incident but luckily there was no ignition on that occasion. How much force is a MLG designed to withstand? How common are MLG collapses?

Airbus747

Mon May 06, 2019 10:34 am

A very sad day :(

My chemistry knowledge is very poor, and seeing all these videos of a burning plane makes me wonder how fire can kill so many people within so few minutes. What exactly happens? Why does it happen so fast? Is it a mix of fire and the components of the jet? Is it both burns and the smoke?

This is to understand in case I found myself in a fire, how much time exactly would I have to escape?

I ask this respectfully and genuinely out of concern for safety.

smokeybandit

Mon May 06, 2019 10:37 am

If you're going to go in a crash, this has to be the worst way to go.

Waterbomber2

Mon May 06, 2019 10:43 am

I can say comfortably that the wings didn't fail in the landing impact, or at least if they did, they failed safely.
When wings fail, they rarely do so at the exact same time on both sides, creating a twisting moment. A look at the FX80 video and you can see what that gives.

It's very clear that the main gears punctured the wingtanks in the force of the impact and started a major fuel leak. Heat from the engines or sparks from the fuselage scraping on the runway ignited the fuel.
This failure mode of the landing gear is not atypical for a very hard landing, as seen in FR4102.
The punctured tank and on both sides raises some questions as to the aircraft's survivability in such heavy landings.

Attempts of the crew to cut off the fuel leak may have been unsuccesful as the fuel was leaking directly from the tank.

Pellegrine

Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 am

Those videos are too much. Especially interior videos...not watching, nope.
oh boy, here we go!!!

eielef

Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 am

Pentaprism wrote:
Do the Crew normally carry a Satellite phone?

I'm not sure you need a satellite phone. Moscow Oblast (the region) has amazing mobile phone connections, and you could have called 112 (emergency hot line) from onboard... The crew could. It is a very non-standard procedure but it could have worked. At 10000ft, i've received calls and data...

But there must be a way, besides radio, to communicate with outside.
For instance, during 9/11 highjackings, with very primitive communications, almost 20 years ago, the pilots where able to receive sort of SMSs informing of other planes being highjacked. This system of SMS didn't work either? How many communication systems are there on a plane? Could all of them fail, specially when you are very close to an airfield? I heard of places where there is no radio communication possible, like deep in the jungle, or in the oceans, or maybe in Alaska, but not in the proximity of an airport!

Even if the ATC spotted the aircraft on the first go-around, there was no clue for them the aircraft was going to get on flames so soon. If it hadn't been so, maybe some foam could have been placed all over RWY 24L to make a safer landing!

SheikhDjibouti

Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am

Airbus747 wrote:

My chemistry knowledge is very poor, and seeing all these videos of a burning plane makes me wonder how fire can kill so many people within so few minutes. What exactly happens? Why does it happen so fast? Is it a mix of fire and the components of the jet? Is it both burns and the smoke?

This is to understand in case I found myself in a fire, how much time exactly would I have to escape?

Smoke inhalation is the main issue.
In this case there are other factors, none of them very pleasant to describe - so I won't be the one to name them.
It has been mentioned up thread if you are interested, and Wikipedia is a useful resource too.
May I suggest any further discussion takes place by you starting a new thread in Tech Ops; personally I find this thread is unpleasant enough as it is without dwelling on such detail here.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Armadillo1

Mon May 06, 2019 10:54 am

captain sayd he turn on emergency radio, but it needed to reset again and again after few words
may be this prevent him from using mobile.
so ATC was aware about radio problem, but nothing more

slcguy

Mon May 06, 2019 11:15 am

Don't mean this to sound like the accurate series of events as all is speculation at this point, just my perspective, Based on what's been reported.

1: Aircraft experienced some sort of electrical problem possibly lightning induced or internal. Unknown at this point.
2: Report of flying under "direct law" flight control system, again unconfirmed, then radio failure.
3: Aircraft transponder shows code 7600 (radio failure), then changes to 7700 (emergency)
4: Aircraft appears to try an approach then circles around for the final approach (unknown why at this point)
5: Aircraft appears to be high on final with speed increase toward the end on short final based on FR24. (flight trackers are not the most reliable source)
6: Aircraft touches down on runway and has a bad bounce (why they didn't try a go around, unknown, possible control problems due to earlier electrical problem, maybe, but unknown at this time)
7: Aircraft appears to hit runway very hard after bounce collapsing main landing gear and rupturing wing fuel tanks resulting in major fire. At that point, just my opinion, the people in the back of the plane didn't have a chance.

I'll leave it there, I don't want to get into the debate over emergency response and passengers with baggage.

by738

Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am

Isnt the main issue the spectacular heavy landing and bounce?
If the plane was 'flyable' to get back to airport (and no fire during approach) then a reasonable landing should have followed.
Gear through wing tanks. Dont think any MLG is designed to cope with that. Flight Data will be very interesting.

xmp125a

Mon May 06, 2019 11:26 am

Airbus747 wrote:

1) The temperature of the burning fire (even if not jet fuel, and not even in airplane) creates draft in the upper part of the room, where temperatures be as high as 600 degrees, while closer to the floor, the temperature is still bearable.
2) Expose any skin to that hot air and get instant burns.
3) Breathe in any of that hot air, and you burn the lung tissue, and you die
4) In addition to this, Carbon Monoxide.

Indy

Mon May 06, 2019 11:48 am

yfbflyer wrote:
You can see in the video the plane is on fire and people are still evacuating with their carry on luggage.

Anyone that evacuates such a wreck with carry on luggage should be charged with murder or a similar crime. These selfish people likely caused deaths.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

pugman211

Mon May 06, 2019 12:08 pm

With regards to the main gear, if it's like the A320 family, the gear is outside of the wing tanks but utilises a titanium attachment point on the rear spar. As the hard landing took place (and I imagine sheared the pins) the force could've punched a hole threw the rear spar and there is the source for the fuel leak. I also think only the left side ruptured as there only seemed to be a single trail of fire behind the aircraft, the winds and gushing pool of fuel would be enough to engulf the fuselage.

If both sides failed then would that indicate a unknown stress point?

Aesma

Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm

If I'm not mistaken we have two videos from inside, one on the left, one on the right, both showing a tattered wing engulfed in flames.

So unless one video is reversed it seems both sides were burning.

Which certainly didn't help.
Last edited by Aesma on Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Armadillo1

Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm

on ssj empty (dry) area over main gear, penetration must be by debris from leg

Spacepope

Mon May 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Pentaprism wrote:
Do the Crew normally carry a Satellite phone? I assumed they would in case of Radio Issues but several things I have read suggest that after radio connection was lost no communication with the Tower was possible. Response from ES may have been better if communication was maintained. Some comments have suggested the loss of radio contact stopped them from dumping fuel.

I love the SSJ and have always wanted to fly one but it does concern me the MLG (apparently) penetrated the Fuel Tank. According to one comment I read this also happened in the Yakutsk incident but luckily there was no ignition on that occasion. How much force is a MLG designed to withstand? How common are MLG collapses?

I have very serious doubts the SSJ can dump fuel. Many wide bodies even lack that capability.
The last of the famous international playboys

slcguy

Mon May 06, 2019 12:28 pm

by738 wrote:
Isnt the main issue the spectacular heavy landing and bounce?
If the plane was 'flyable' to get back to airport (and no fire during approach) then a reasonable landing should have followed.
Gear through wing tanks. Dont think any MLG is designed to cope with that. Flight Data will be very interesting.

Just because the aircraft was flyable enough to get back to the airport doesn't mean a reasonable landing should have followed! We don't know yet what all the issues were with this plane.
Last edited by slcguy on Mon May 06, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armadillo1

Mon May 06, 2019 12:31 pm

SSJ cant dump fuel, but overweight was very low - about 42/41, not an issue by itself

Rokkarolla

Mon May 06, 2019 12:32 pm

https://youtu.be/RMwJkZ7QLY4

Anyone already posted this landing footage?

SEU

Mon May 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Rokkarolla wrote:

No its brand new.....

slcguy

Mon May 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Rokkarolla wrote:

First time I've seen it, looks like they had marginal control of the plane on touch down, just went from bad to worse from there. Definitely higher than normal landing speed.

KLDC10

Mon May 06, 2019 12:50 pm

The BBC reports that the aircraft was struck by lighting before returning. While the video just posted is not new, it does seem to show the aircraft approaching the runway at an unusually high speed. I wonder if this was a case of an electrical failure induced by the lightning strike which prevented the flaps being extended, followed by a high-speed landing which went wrong.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

Pentaprism

Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 pm

One previous incident listed in the Av Herald for this Aircraft;

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b4a3d36&opt=0

Armadillo1

Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 pm

flaps were extended

DALMD80

Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm

thevery wrote:
All evacuated, 6 injured.

I heard that. Also heard 40+ dead. I'm going with the 40+ given that the plane was on fire.
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

DALMD80

Mon May 06, 2019 1:08 pm

Indy wrote:
yfbflyer wrote:
You can see in the video the plane is on fire and people are still evacuating with their carry on luggage.

Anyone that evacuates such a wreck with carry on luggage should be charged with murder or a similar crime. These selfish people likely caused deaths.

So awful that anyone would do that. Worried about material things as opposed to the lives of themselves and others.
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

AtomicGarden

SEU wrote:
Rokkarolla wrote:

No its brand new.....

No it's not, i saw it yesterday. And people are still saying it was already in flames? I'm no expert but hard to think that the fire was caused by anything but the hard landing/bouncing.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Buyantukhaa

pugman211 wrote:
I also think only the left side ruptured as there only seemed to be a single trail of fire behind the aircraft, the winds and gushing pool of fuel would be enough to engulf the fuselage.

If both sides failed then would that indicate a unknown stress point?

When comparing the videos, it is indeed true that the left wing was burning through (you could see the flames above it and inside it through the space behind the deployed slats) while on the righthand side you see flames only under/after the wing. This might also explain, to an extent, the almost 90 degree slide to the left that the plane made before it stopped. The video I referred to earlier shows that the left MLG went through the wing for sure, whether the right MLG did the same or that it did come off clean I don't know.

The pictures also clearly show that flaps were deployed, so presumably a higher landing speed than normal was not required.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

Armadillo1

some of them starting to go before plane stopped

slcguy

Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Armadillo1 wrote:
flaps were extended

Yes, flaps were extended. Not going to go back pages in this thread to find links, but the video from inside shows the leading edge extended and the exterior video of the evacuation on the right side shows the right wing with flaps down. Either way, the cause of this started before the bounce and hard landing resulting in the fire. Most aviation accidents have been a sequence of events, in this case an electrical problem (possibly lightning) but undetermined at this time.
Last edited by slcguy on Mon May 06, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shamrocka330

Mon May 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Looking at the videos of the aircraft on fire, is one of the engines still operating or is it wind? If you look closely at the flames behind the wing, in the path of the rear of the engine, it appears that they are being blown by the engine exhaust. This effect doesn’t seem to be happening to the flames anywhere else at the rear of the aircraft which makes me think it not the wind. Anyone else notice this? Wondering could the crew not turn of the engines due to the electrical issues reported? The pilots didn’t evacuate the aircraft until conditions became extremely poor which suggests they were working through the evacuation procedures in the cockpit which would include engine shutdown.
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

DL717

Mon May 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Rokkarolla wrote:

Wow. The tail was demolished.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Rokkarolla

Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm

The pilot of the Sukhoi Superjet 100 Denis Evdokimov told why he decided to deploy the liner back to Sheremetyevo: according to him, the plane was struck by lightning. It is reported by telegram channel Baza.

After a lightning strike, radio communication was turned off and equipment malfunctions began, the pilot continued. "At the time of landing — time will not tell you, the take-off was at 18:02 — there was no radio. Managed to restore using the emergency frequency on the radio. And it was short and intermittent. After switching on the mode of the transmitter a few words could be said, then it disappeared. And it had to be reconnected. The dispatchers helped us. They gave us a course for the output on the strip. The speed was small for landing, normal. All according to the operational collection of the crew", — said Evdokimov.

He added that the plane was approaching the ground "smoothly, with a decrease in vertical speed." And only after a complete stop of the liner on the ground was declared an emergency evacuation

BerenErchamion

Indy wrote:
yfbflyer wrote:

Just like clockwork, here comes the Internet Keyboard Warrior Brigade with their nonsense.

In emergencies, many people will panic. It's not their fault they're panicking in a situation they're not at all trained for. It makes no sense at all to expect panicking people to think clearly and rationally about the best thing to do in a situation. Furthermore, legal consequences won't actually do anything because panicked people aren't thinking about them while they're panicking, so they won't actually change behavior.

The real world is a hell of a lot more complicated than you want to pretend.

na

The pilots had serious control problems on landing. High speed, bounce, then the nose went down and just before the plane touched down hard the nose was raised rather steeply to avoid a nosewheel first landing (overreaction?), causing the airplane to hit the runway with the center of gravity further back than normal. Maybe even the tail scraped the runway on touchdown.
Would the loss of stable radio contact be reason enough to cause the pilots to return? If so matters must have become much worse when approaching the airport. Otherwise such a bad landing in good weather cannot be explained.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos