LAXintl
Topic Author

California Pacific for sale

Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 pm

The airline with seemingly nine-lives is up for sale with a potential deal being imminent..

Paragon Partners, are currently in negotiations to acquire the majority ownership in California Pacific Airlines.

The acquisition group is chaired by Robert Nisi, a former securities attorney and active investment banker who was a part of the founding team, alongside Richard Branson, of Virgin American Airlines.

Nisi served as Virgin’s corporate director for several years before the company was sold to Alaska Airlines in 2016 for $2.6 billion.

If the deal is completed, Nisi would be named Chairman of CP Air. “Our target is to close and get flight operations underway as soon as possible,” a Paragon associate said. The planned acquisition includes assumption of debt, transfer of stock and cash considerations.

In February, CP Air engaged Glidepath Capital Partners, an aviation/aerospace investment banker, to manage the acquisition and capital raise process, which includes the transfer of ownership and control. Current owner Vallas could not be reached for comment.

https://www.thecoastnews.com/california ... ownership/

=

Wonder what Mr. Nisi true plans are for the certificate.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SierraPacific

Re: California Pacific for sale

Mon May 06, 2019 6:32 pm

I wonder if they stay with the losing battle of flying out of Carlsbad or use the certificate to start something new.

Virgin America round 2 :lol:

strfyr51

Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
I wonder if they stay with the losing battle of flying out of Carlsbad or use the certificate to start something new.

Virgin America round 2 :lol:

Carlsbad might not be where you'd want to run an airline from. The airline needs to be where aviation parts, People, and services are near.to reduce costs and logistics, Ay Least until they build an unshakeable infrastructure.

sunking737

Mon May 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Midwest Express 2.0 ???
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

bluefltspecial

Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Midwest Express 2.0 ???

That was my first thought.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

bluefltspecial

Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Just read the press release;

CP Air plans to provide service to six western cities with five aircraft initially, including San Jose, Oakland, Reno, Sacramento, Phoenix and Las Vegas.[/i]

If WN was not already strong in each one of these markets I would say it would be a good shot... should be interesting with one E145 and a later an E170.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

UPlog

Mon May 06, 2019 9:59 pm

I doubt long term the airline will have anything to do with Carlsbad.
An investment group is buying the certificate and will want to make money back on their investment, not run a niche regional carrier.
Also as mentioned old man Vallas will be out of the picture having relinquished control and ownership.

Gulfstream500

Mon May 06, 2019 10:30 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
sunking737 wrote:
Midwest Express 2.0 ???

That was my first thought.

I don’t think that any of them are involved in the Midwest 2.0 company. (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420297&p=21322981&hilit=Midwest#p21322981)

Maybe if this sell off fails, then Midwest 2.0 will buy it.
What's the deal with airplane food?

Frontier Airlines: Spirit of the west

TWA772LR

Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Virgin California...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

wedgetail737

Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Virgin California...

No...I think that airline has been violated many times!

keithball288

Mon May 06, 2019 11:56 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Virgin California...

No...I think that airline has been violated many times!

I agree with you there.It would not make any sense.
C310R, Saab 340,737-800,777-300,A330-200, A330-300, A320, A321,ERJ135,ERJ170

Passedv1

Tue May 07, 2019 2:47 am

I think PDX.

Pdx is neglected by Alaska, has a large enough population to justify service to many cities, and is fragmented enough that a new/hip startup could gain some traction. PLUS Sir Branson would live to piss in AS's Wheaties.

spinkid

Tue May 07, 2019 3:08 am

I'm sure its someone who is looking for a certificate. They might have some temporary service on those old routes, but i wouldn't expect anything long term

PlanesNTrains

Tue May 07, 2019 3:13 am

Passedv1 wrote:
I think PDX.

Pdx is neglected by Alaska, has a large enough population to justify service to many cities, and is fragmented enough that a new/hip startup could gain some traction. PLUS Sir Branson would live to piss in AS's Wheaties.

Just because AS doesn't have the same flight schedule at PDX as SEA doesn't mean PDX is neglected. Frankly, for the past 15 years it seems like all we hear out of PDX is complaining that AS is treating them poorly. Does anyone say WN is neglecting PDX? DL? UA? AA? Nope, just AS, coincidentally the carrier that I believe has the most flights out of PDX. Yep, truly neglected.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

ericm2031

Tue May 07, 2019 4:25 am

Seems like this and Contour could merge and create a nice niche airline

SkyVoice

Tue May 07, 2019 5:18 am

It's not Etihad throwing good money after bad again, is it?
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

AirFiero

Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
I think PDX.

Wasn’t there a non-compete in the VX deal with Branson?

drdisque

Tue May 07, 2019 1:51 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Seems like this and Contour could merge and create a nice niche airline

Contour is doing very well. They don't want to get mixed up into this mess. They also want to stay Part 135 and have no interest in the former ADI's Part 121 certificate.

debonair

Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 am

The article has since been updated:
Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article contained several inaccuracies that have since been corrected.

https://www.thecoastnews.com/california ... ownership/

lavalampluva

Thu May 09, 2019 1:05 pm

Well...that was a bust.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

KlimaBXsst

Thu May 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Me thinks ... the new investors see an opportunity to feed another airline. CP is an attractive brand name, but that is about all.

Expressjet Airlines had a stylish go at it alone brand for a bit but was quickly reabsorbed.

California Pacific “operating for” Might look good on a website of one of the big 5, but that is about as far as this independent airline goes.

Unfortunately I might add. Was hoping to see CP and Valles succeed.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Polot

Thu May 09, 2019 1:43 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Me thinks ... the new investors see an opportunity to feed another airline. CP is an attractive brand name, but that is about all.

Expressjet Airlines had a stylish go at it alone brand for a bit but was quickly reabsorbed.

California Pacific “operating for” Might look good on a website of one of the big 5, but that is about as far as this independent airline goes.

Unfortunately I might add. Was hoping to see CP and Valles succeed.

The California Pacific name/brand has zero value. This is all about the operating certificate. Investors are trying to jumpstart a startup somewhere.

KlimaBXsst

Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Polot wrote:
The California Pacific name/brand has zero value. This is all about the operating certificate. Investors are trying to jumpstart a startup somewhere.

Let’s not mistake “name” and “value!”

As a brand for example what would attract Californian’s? What name feels more “warm and fuzzy” to Californians?

Pacific Mississippi Airlines
or
California Pacific Airlines

One can hardly argue Pacific Mississippi!

rajincajun01

Thu May 09, 2019 2:51 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Polot wrote:

As a brand for example what would attract Californian’s? What name feels more “warm and fuzzy” to Californians?

or

Yet Alaska does just fine in the lower 48, especially in California.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 09, 2019 3:21 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
Polot wrote:

or

To say that California Pacific is a good name or not a good name is fine from a “What if” imaginary airline perspective, but I agree that what is going on here has nothing to do with the name and everything to do with the certificate. I could offer a dozen names that would be every bit as relevant and descriptive as California Pacific and that’s for free.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

diverdave

Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 pm

LAXintl wrote:
The airline with seemingly nine-lives is up for sale with a potential deal being imminent..

Rather than having nine lives, I think it's more comparable to an animal that keeps coming back from the Pet Sematary. :)

KlimaBXsst

Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

Yes Alaska does seem to be very warmly received in California.

Polot

Thu May 09, 2019 6:58 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Polot wrote:

or

California Pacific is not a storied name. You realize, when creating an airline, that you can name it whatever you want (assuming it is not taken already). Sure California Pacific Airline is better than Pacific Mississippi Airlines...but you can name your new airline Golden California Skyways or whatever without having to spend a dime on another airline. This is all about the certificate.

FlyHPN

Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:
I think PDX.

Wasn’t there a non-compete in the VX deal with Branson?

There were many claims around the time of the merger, but I don't believe a non-compete between Alaska and Branson was one of them. If I remember correctly, Alaska claimed to have exclusive rights to the Virgin name, but then Branson was claiming that Alaska would owe him royalties for it through 2040 even if they stop using the name, unless he decides to reuse it. Even today I'm unable to find an article substantiating either points.

flyoregon

Thu May 09, 2019 10:04 pm

diverdave wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Rather than having nine lives, I think it's more comparable to an animal that keeps coming back from the Pet Sematary. :)

And the Cemetery...

mga707

Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Polot wrote:

California Pacific is not a storied name. You realize, when creating an airline, that you can name it whatever you want (assuming it is not taken already). Sure California Pacific Airline is better than Pacific Mississippi Airlines...but you can name your new airline Golden California Skyways or whatever without having to spend a dime on another airline. This is all about the certificate.

Reminds me of what happened 85 years ago, when the Air Mail Reorganization Act took effect in 1934 and all Contract Air Mail routes had to be re-bid. A struggling California-based airline named Pacific Seaboard Air Lines successfully bid on the Chicago-St. Louis-Memphis-New Orleans route and moved their entire operation to Memphis to start their newly-certificated route. While they quickly re-named themselves Chicago and Southern Air Lines, for a short while their aircraft were plying 'The Valley Level Route' up and down the Mississippi as Pacific Seaboard! C&S was a successful airline until 1953 when they were acquired by Delta.

hiflyeras

Thu May 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Every time I see the name 'California Pacific' mentioned on here I laugh to myself. Love the perseverence of the ownership but it was never anything more than a pipe dream. The name has absolutely no value and is unknown to anyone other than airliners.net members. But agree that the certificate does have value...David Neeleman is likely sniffing around as we speak.

BoeingGuy

Fri May 10, 2019 1:36 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Polot wrote:

or

How about reviving Pacific Southwest Airlines? Doesn’t get any more warm and fuzzy than that legendary airline.

wedgetail737

Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 am

hiflyeras wrote:
Every time I see the name 'California Pacific' mentioned on here I laugh to myself. Love the perseverence of the ownership but it was never anything more than a pipe dream. The name has absolutely no value and is unknown to anyone other than airliners.net members. But agree that the certificate does have value...David Neeleman is likely sniffing around as we speak.

I got to fly on them once between SJC and Carlsbad RT. They were pretty unorganized!

wedgetail737

Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
Polot wrote:

or

How about reviving Pacific Southwest Airlines? Doesn’t get any more warm and fuzzy than that legendary airline.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will happen as long as AA holds the rights to the name.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos