User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 23553
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Mon May 06, 2019 8:42 pm

DOT is soliciting grant applications for its Small Community Air Development (SCASD) program.

SCASD is meant to help communities enhance air transportation by providing temporary financial support.

Grants can be utilized to attract new air-service by establishing revenue guarantees, cost offsets, or marketing support. Additionally, grant funding can be utilized to help retain or expand current service, plus for various airport facility upgrades in order to make them more attractive for air service providers.

As in past years, the priority selection criteria the DOT shall consider includes:

o Community airfares are higher than the national average
o The community or consortium will provide a portion of the cost of the activity from local sources other than airport revenue
o Communities willing establish private-public partnership to facilitate new or improved air carrier service to the public
o Provide benefits to a broader segment of the traveling public, whose access to the national air transportation system is limited
o Proposal can be implemented within a reasonable timetable and the grant monies will be used in a timely manner.

DOT plans to have $12.5 million available for grants.

Applications are due to the DOT by July 15th.


OST-2019-0071
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Mon May 06, 2019 9:56 pm

More government cheese.

I wonder over the years if they ever looked at the true success rate of this program. Yes, communities often manage to attract airlines with the program, but what percentage actually remain for 5-years once the subsidy ends?
 
joeblow10
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Mon May 06, 2019 10:40 pm

UPlog wrote:
More government cheese.

I wonder over the years if they ever looked at the true success rate of this program. Yes, communities often manage to attract airlines with the program, but what percentage actually remain for 5-years once the subsidy ends?


This is one of the rare pieces of “government cheese” I support. I fly into a number of places that would otherwise be a 2-3 hour drive from a major airport. Plus... lately, EAS and subsidy communities have seen much more reasonably priced airfares (hence, perhaps why it appears to be working better).

Take CYS for example, where with Wyoming’s air service development grant, they got AA to come in from DFW and they’re already going twice daily within 6 months.
 
PacificWest
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Tue May 07, 2019 3:18 am

No offense to my East Coast brethren, but I think it's kind of ridiculous that any airport East of the Mississippi (besides maybe Maine, or the Michigan UP) would get EAS or SCASD money.

Compared to the West, the Eastern US is relatively flat and there's cities everywhere.

The idea that there's people In Virgina, Alabama, or Georgia that can't drive 60-90 minutes over flat (or hilly at worst) terrain is absurd. Meanwhile, there's communities out West that require a legit 2.5-4 hour drive over dangerous two-lane roads and mountain passes to get to a small regional airport.
 
Bobloblaw
Posts: 2406
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Tue May 07, 2019 4:17 am

joeblow10 wrote:
UPlog wrote:
More government cheese.

I wonder over the years if they ever looked at the true success rate of this program. Yes, communities often manage to attract airlines with the program, but what percentage actually remain for 5-years once the subsidy ends?


This is one of the rare pieces of “government cheese” I support. I fly into a number of places that would otherwise be a 2-3 hour drive from a major airport. Plus... lately, EAS and subsidy communities have seen much more reasonably priced airfares (hence, perhaps why it appears to be working better).

Take CYS for example, where with Wyoming’s air service development grant, they got AA to come in from DFW and they’re already going twice daily within 6 months.

SCASD isn’t EAS.
 
ELBOB
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 am

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Tue May 07, 2019 5:20 am

joeblow10 wrote:
I fly into a number of places that would otherwise be a 2-3 hour drive from a major airport.


But if you add-up the time taken to wait for a once-or-twice daily flight, plus security, plus check-in times, does it actually come out any quicker than other forms of transport?
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Tue May 07, 2019 5:50 am

I think people are confusing the programs.

I’m left leaning but SCASD isn’t needed. Cities the size of Boise or Spokane for example do not need federal dollars for this. If their local community wants to subsidize routes - so be it. But they shouldn’t be seeking federal assistance.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Tue May 07, 2019 11:19 am

Bobloblaw wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
UPlog wrote:
More government cheese.

I wonder over the years if they ever looked at the true success rate of this program. Yes, communities often manage to attract airlines with the program, but what percentage actually remain for 5-years once the subsidy ends?


This is one of the rare pieces of “government cheese” I support. I fly into a number of places that would otherwise be a 2-3 hour drive from a major airport. Plus... lately, EAS and subsidy communities have seen much more reasonably priced airfares (hence, perhaps why it appears to be working better).

Take CYS for example, where with Wyoming’s air service development grant, they got AA to come in from DFW and they’re already going twice daily within 6 months.

SCASD isn’t EAS.


No... I’m aware they’re not the same. Wyoming has their own SCASD, CYS is just one example.

To the point above this one: it is a state grant, but I have no issue with federal help if it’s qualified. I think we can all agree what sort of airports deserve it and what don’t.
 
User avatar
janders
Moderator
Posts: 809
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Tue May 07, 2019 11:01 pm

The thing that makes me question SCASD grants is that they are available to some rather good sized airports that might already have 4-5 airlines serving them.

I can see how a community with a single airline or serious lack of air service might use SCASD incentive money to lure new flying, but the availability of such monies to larger and well to do communities seems like a misuse of Federal funding.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
B1168
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Tue May 07, 2019 11:26 pm

Oh...... that isn’t bad. Compare it to Chinese style of subsidies— J don’t think SZX-DUB should ever exist anyway.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 23553
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Thu May 09, 2019 7:08 pm

janders wrote:
The thing that makes me question SCASD grants is that they are available to some rather good sized airports that might already have 4-5 airlines serving them.

I can see how a community with a single airline or serious lack of air service might use SCASD incentive money to lure new flying, but the availability of such monies to larger and well to do communities seems like a misuse of Federal funding.


Yes indeed.
The law behind SCASD allows FAA definition of up to "small hub" airports to qualify for the program. This means that some with quite a bit of existing service can participate in chasing after a grant.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos