jb1087xna

Re: 2019 Small Community Air Svc Development (SCASD) Program Grants

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:37 pm

LAXintl wrote:
San Luis Obispo, California
Asks $750,000 grant funding to establish revenue guarantee and fee waivers for air service link to PDX by Alaska Air Group.

AS to PDX over getting DL back to SLC seems interesting. Don't have a ton of experience in SBP, but was there for a week late last summer.
Next up: XNA-ATL-IAH-MSP-XNA

ericm2031

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:56 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Asks $750,000 grant funding to establish revenue guarantee and fee waivers for air service link to PDX by Alaska Air Group.

AS to PDX over getting DL back to SLC seems interesting. Don't have a ton of experience in SBP, but was there for a week late last summer.

Or SBP-SAN or SJC. PDX doesn’t offer anything that SEA doesn’t so it may canibalize that route.

SBP hasn’t been struggling to get new routes so I’m not sure they’re the best candidate for a grant.

Oilman

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:37 pm

UPlog wrote:
Did you read what the OPer wrote ? :wideeyed:

Well that’s just embarrassing. :oops:

usxguy

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Oilman wrote:
Does anyone know where to find the criteria used to pick the winners?

blindfold and a dart board. Each DOT analyst gets a shot...
xx

freakyrat

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:15 am

cathay747 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
[
South Bend, Indiana
Seeks $750,000 to establish revenue guarantee to obtain service to DEN or NYC.

Funny to see this one...UA used to fly DEN-SBN (was a DEN/SBN/FWA/SBN/DEN route) with 727-100's...I did it twice roundtrip back in 1981 & 82; don't know when it ended though. I think it was 2x daily, although I don't know if both had the SBN/FWA/SBN tag.

SBN did have DEN service on F9 for almost a year from a previous grant which F9 didn't use that much of. The service was successful but F9 was going through reorganization into an ULCC and their type service at DEN that was for better West Coast connections didn't fit the ULCC model so they left. The Airport Authority then gave some of the remaining funds to UA to offer a flight to EWR which was successful enough that they operated 2 daily flights with the second one being seasonal. They flew these flights for almost 3 yers or so. UA has since went in another direction at EWR and removed mostly all Regional Jet Flying because of airport congestion and moved that service over to IAD. However they are bringing these flights back seasonally to service the ND students and their football crowd. There is also currently a 5 yr open RFP with DL that was opened by DL with the local DGS operations for servicing a daily JFK flight. As far as DEN goes the local UA folks informed me that right now they could support twice daily E175 service to DEN and they would like to be able to offer these flights as a West connecting alternative to ORD.

kbmiflyer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:49 am

LAXintl wrote:

[u] Reno, Nevada

Applies for $1,000,000 grant to offer marketing, fee waivers and revenue guarantees to establish service to Washington DC by United using mainline Airbus family equipment.

Anyone else find it odd that this request specifies mainline Airbus family equipment? I mean the A-319 or A-320 is probably the best choice for the job, but wouldn't a 737-800 be ok too?

janders

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:53 am

kbmiflyer wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

[u] Reno, Nevada

Applies for $1,000,000 grant to offer marketing, fee waivers and revenue guarantees to establish service to Washington DC by United using mainline Airbus family equipment.

Anyone else find it odd that this request specifies mainline Airbus family equipment? I mean the A-319 or A-320 is probably the best choice for the job, but wouldn't a 737-800 be ok too?

Probably means in discussions with the airport, UA made specific reference the type in their tentative schedule proposal and business case analysis.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

WN732

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:13 am

LAXintl wrote:
Bellingham, Washington
Pursuing a $750,000 grant to offer revenue guarantees, fee waiver and marketing support to establish service to an eastward hub such as DEN.

Monterey, California
Seeks $250,000 to form regional marketing program to help support new existing by AA to DFW and UA to DEN particularly during slower travel months.

El Paso, Texas
Applies for $750,000 in grant funds to provide a revenue guarantee for proposed E175 service by United to its Washington IAD hub.

College Station, Texas
Asks for $400,000 to establish local marketing campaign including a business loyalty program to better market existing services and reduce leakage.

Redmond, Oregon
Applying to $600,000 grant monies for marketing, revenue guarantees and fee waivers to help establish new service to SJC operated by Alaska Air Group.

Baton Rogue, Louisiana
Seeking $800,000 to recruit, provide revenue guarantees, marketing support and fee waivers to establish service to a Midwest or Northeast hub airport.

Duluth, Minnesota
Desires $771,500 grand fund to offer revenue guarantee and marketing support on new service to Denver operated by Skywest under UA code.

I'm curious why ELP picked IAD instead of CLT?

UPlog

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:37 pm

WN732 wrote:
]I'm curious why ELP picked IAD instead of CLT?

If you read their application, D.C. is their largest unserved local market. Plus it helps UA has already expressed interest in route should the grant be awarded.

KCaviator

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:22 pm

Would be nice to see Dubuque, IA (DBQ) chosen. They’ve been trying to add another carrier for years after DL/NW dropped the MSP route. AA seems to do okay with 3 (sometimes 4) flights to ORD.

alasizon

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:30 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Applications are in. Here is the first batch.

Salem, Oregon
Requesting $750,000 to offer fee waivers along with revenue guarantee to recruit network carrier to link to major hub in SF Bay or LA basin.

Seems odd to choose CA as opposed to SEA on AS where they have the benefit from stronger local demand. Although Salem also is only an hour or so to both PDX and EUG.

LAXintl wrote:

Would put pretty good bets on this getting approved even though SBP hasn't been struggling.

LAXintl wrote:
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Applies for $750,000 grant to offer start up cost offset, fee waivers and revenue guarantees help recruit air service to major southern hub at DFW on AA regional partner.

They probably would have been better off soliciting for PHX over DFW as the request for service to DFW will get buried amongst all the other requests for service in the midwest.

LAXintl wrote:
Bullhead City, Arizona
Desires $750,000 grant funding for marketing support, revenue guarantees and fee waivers to secure service to DEN by United regional partner.

If at first you don't succeed, keep trying? PHX service was abysmal and never carried more than 30 passengers even with super low fares.

LAXintl wrote:
St. George, Utah
Request $370,000 to offer revenue guarantees, fee waivers and marketing support for year-round daily service to LAX by Skywest

Does OO really need funding for these routes? They've upped PHX to 4-5x daily just before the airport closed, added DFW once the airport re-opens and already ran LAX service.

LAXintl wrote:
Bellingham, Washington
Pursuing a $750,000 grant to offer revenue guarantees, fee waiver and marketing support to establish service to an eastward hub such as DEN.

Seems higher on the cost side given that BLI already captures part of the Canadian price-sensitive shopper so as soon as DEN is added they would likely know about it in their searches.

LAXintl wrote:
El Paso, Texas
Applies for $750,000 in grant funds to provide a revenue guarantee for proposed E175 service by United to its Washington IAD hub.

Given UA is willing to fly this, I'm sure it'll be approved but I'm not sure it can last once the subsidy is out.
LAXintl wrote:
Yuma, Arizona
Applies for $775,000 grant to provide revenue guarantee, marketing support and fee waivers on service to DEN by United Express.

Not sure there is enough room for the current levels of service plus DEN. If they add DEN I suspect they will lose a DFW turn if DEN does well.

LAXintl wrote:
Pullman, Washington
Desires $780,000 in federal grant to offer revenue guarantees, marketing support and fee waivers to support new service to DEN by United affiliate regional carrier.

Good add here and even if DEN doesn't end up working out, SLC or PHX could also be options as majority of traffic is UW based and what isn't from the PacNW can really be handled from any Mountain West hub.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

uconn99

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:30 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Again, New Haven? Really? It’s in NY. Plenty of limo, shuttle bus service. There’s no need

I think you need a geography lesson, New Haven is around 50 miles from the NY state line. And what shuttle bus service are you talking about?

LAXdude1023

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:33 pm

I really wish UA could make a better run with smaller Texas cities. Doesnt need to be like DFW, but adding ABI would be a start. TYR and ACT would also be great. Im not holding my breath though.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

ODwyerPW

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:17 pm

PacificWest wrote:
No offense to my East Coast brethren, but I think it's kind of ridiculous that any airport East of the Mississippi (besides maybe Maine, or the Michigan UP) would get EAS or SCASD money.

Compared to the West, the Eastern US is relatively flat and there's cities everywhere.

The idea that there's people In Virgina, Alabama, or Georgia that can't drive 60-90 minutes over flat (or hilly at worst) terrain is absurd. Meanwhile, there's communities out West that require a legit 2.5-4 hour drive over dangerous two-lane roads and mountain passes to get to a small regional airport.

I lived on the east coast for a good portion of my adult life. I agree with you completely. The idea that an airport in Connecticut applies for this? C'mon man!
There are some notable exceptions when you start getting into Appalachia. If you live in the Virginia panhandle... your Airports are Roanoak (2 hours away), not that great of an airport... or Johnson City (an hour away... but a really, really small airport) or Greensboro, NC (2+ hours away). But anything in New England, sans Maine.... I agree.

Now I live in Southern Arizona / Northern Mexico. I react the same way to Tucson being on the list... Dollars for marketing a flight to DC? Again, C'mon man! It's a metro area of about 1 million.
learning never stops.

oosnowrat

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:14 am

LAXintl wrote:

Twin Falls, Idaho
Applies for $900,000 grant to offer revenue guarantee and marketing program to initiate service to DEN on Skywest.

Pocatello, Idaho
Seeks $700,000 grant funding for marketing, revenue guarantees and fee waivers in order to initiate new air service to DEN by Skywest operated with 50-seat RJ.

Indeed it seems United/Skywest were extremely busy this year support the applications.

not sure how politics play into this, but it's hard to imagine idaho falls,pocatello and twin falls all get a grant.

TWF and PIH are almost twin stations -- same schedule, similar loads, etc. a UAX flight to DEN would probably work in both markets. the three flights to SLC from both cities are running full, and the only option for a fourth flight that wouldn't require another RON has been tried already.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos