jfk777

Re: Air New Zealand to JFK?

Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm

There seems to be a huge urgency for New Zealand and Australian airlines to fly to New York City right now. ANZ is fine flying to LAX & SFO plus United's two large midwest hubs in Chicago and Houston, that would be 3 UA hubs and LAX, a strong UA city too. AKL to JFK has to be 17 hours eastward and 18 westward, if they can sell 200 tickets daily with enough J class demand then it could work but this is 777-8 territory beyond the economical capability of a 787-9. Interesting to see what they do.

B1168

Wed May 08, 2019 1:20 pm

c933103 wrote:
B1168 wrote:
behramjee wrote:

Demand in 2018 between NYC and AKL was 31,000 passengers round trip averaging US$1200 one way with YQ included. Hence it isnt that big a p2p market segment to warrant a ULH nonstop flight. Its best first to operate the new ORD route for 3 years to see how it financially performs before experimenting further eastwards.

31000 pax round trip...... that will at most make 2 weekly even considering connection from Europe and the rest of Eastern US. Good luck with that, you are not Hainan Airlines.

31000 passenger a year is something like 86PDEW. I doubt most Hainan airlines flights have that much demand before they started flying those routes.

In fact, much less...... HU’s CTU-ORD route reportedly only had some 11k O&D demand per year.

cosyr

Wed May 08, 2019 2:02 pm

NTLDaz wrote:
Kno wrote:
What is this UA feed you guys keep talking about? Where does EWR make sense to connect to AKL from besides small north east markets with barely any pax who’d go there anyway?

I agree EWR doesn't have the connection opportunities anything like ORD,IAH,LAX or SFO. However, given UA is their partner it makes perfect sense to go there over JFK.

There are very few places in the US (or North America) that you wouldn't be able to reach in a single connection with those 4 UA hubs, but for me personally, this wasn't true until ORD started. My home airport being SYR, I have not been able to connect through LAX, SFO or IAH. None have nonstop flights for SYR.

New Zealand is one of our favorite places to travel, but it is a real hassle to get there, necessitating at least 2 week vacations to justify, as opposed to Europe, where we are fine with a week. Our first trip we took the train to New York, flew to LAX and connected to AKL, but we had to stay in hotels in NYC both ways. This most recent trip, we drove 4-5 hours to YYZ to start our journey, again requiring hotels on both ends of the trip.

There are some places that have connection issues with LAX, IAH, and SFO, but since ORD has been added, those issues have largely been resolved, and ORD has more daily flights to most cities in North America than EWR, and it doesn't hurt that more people would be flying in the right direction, flying west to ORD, and southwest to AKL. I can't speak to whether there is a big business market for NYC compared with ORD, but AKL being one of the most remote markets on the globe, I think most people are comfortable with the idea of making one connection to get there.

Kno

Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm

cosyr wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
Kno wrote:
What is this UA feed you guys keep talking about? Where does EWR make sense to connect to AKL from besides small north east markets with barely any pax who’d go there anyway?

I agree EWR doesn't have the connection opportunities anything like ORD,IAH,LAX or SFO. However, given UA is their partner it makes perfect sense to go there over JFK.

There are very few places in the US (or North America) that you wouldn't be able to reach in a single connection with those 4 UA hubs, but for me personally, this wasn't true until ORD started. My home airport being SYR, I have not been able to connect through LAX, SFO or IAH. None have nonstop flights for SYR.

New Zealand is one of our favorite places to travel, but it is a real hassle to get there, necessitating at least 2 week vacations to justify, as opposed to Europe, where we are fine with a week. Our first trip we took the train to New York, flew to LAX and connected to AKL, but we had to stay in hotels in NYC both ways. This most recent trip, we drove 4-5 hours to YYZ to start our journey, again requiring hotels on both ends of the trip.

There are some places that have connection issues with LAX, IAH, and SFO, but since ORD has been added, those issues have largely been resolved, and ORD has more daily flights to most cities in North America than EWR, and it doesn't hurt that more people would be flying in the right direction, flying west to ORD, and southwest to AKL. I can't speak to whether there is a big business market for NYC compared with ORD, but AKL being one of the most remote markets on the globe, I think most people are comfortable with the idea of making one connection to get there.

Agreed. I would think that the nonstop would mostly cater to O/D business travelers whose time is extremely valuable. I’m not sure how much of a market there is for that.

airzim

Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 pm

Kno wrote:
cosyr wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

Agreed. I would think that the nonstop would mostly cater to O/D business travelers whose time is extremely valuable. I’m not sure how much of a market there is for that.

“If” NZ would want to fly to the New York, they wouldn’t be catering for limited connection options at EWR (except perhaps the Amtrak corridor), but rather, the higher yield AKL and secondary Australian markets from the NY region which today necessitates a double connection or a long prorate sector on one of the US carriers. They might also snag some of the SYD, BNE, and MEL traffic too.

Whether it’s worth it is something for NZ to decide.
Last edited by airzim on Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galwayman

Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
So at this point, any major international airline which doesn't serve JFK has a huge hole in their route map. When can we see Air New Zealand starting nonstop service to JFK from Auckland?

Meh ... NYC’s not all that, just a large provincial city, where nothing of importance happens, in a dreadful inconvenient global location ... no point in leaking money on glamour routes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos