727glasair
Topic Author

PAE Everett, WA Update: Surprising to me...

Tue May 07, 2019 11:31 pm

I live near PAE and keep track of airport activity by visual observation and also Flightaware. So far, I am somewhat surprised at the new Alaska Airlines service. Here's the scoop...

As far as I can tell EVERY AS flight is a Horizon Air flight. EVERY airplane is a E75L....no 737's or Q400's.

Cities served from PAE are PDX, SFO, SJC, LAS, SAN, LAX, PHX. Am I forgetting something?

I will say that these planes are relatively quiet and overall the noise and traffic impact seems minimal.

Prost

Re: PAE Everett, WA Update: Surprising to me...

Tue May 07, 2019 11:33 pm

That was their planned schedule, all E75.

SierraPacific

Tue May 07, 2019 11:40 pm

From all of the documents I've looked at, PAE was never meant to be mainline station in the short term (next 5 years) especially with Southwest pulling out. I wouldn't be surprised to see some mainline AS aircraft coming to PAE in the next 5 years but the E175 is currently the right size aircraft.

NotDengXiaoping

Tue May 07, 2019 11:43 pm

I think both AS and UA use only E175s on all the routes out of PAE. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but that's what's scheduled.

maps4ltd

Tue May 07, 2019 11:50 pm

The terminal's crowded enough as it is. Often, both gates and the stand are occupied.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

RWA380

Tue May 07, 2019 11:52 pm

727glasair wrote:
I live near PAE and keep track of airport activity by visual observation and also Flightaware. So far, I am somewhat surprised at the new Alaska Airlines service. Here's the scoop...

As far as I can tell EVERY AS flight is a Horizon Air flight. EVERY airplane is a E75L....no 737's or Q400's.

Cities served from PAE are PDX, SFO, SJC, LAS, SAN, LAX, PHX. Am I forgetting something?

I will say that these planes are relatively quiet and overall the noise and traffic impact seems minimal.

There was certainly renderings of a AS 737-800 sitting at one of the gates, before they even broke ground. The facility has jetways, no? It's true all flights on both UA & AS are on E-175's currently, but that may just mean that the E-175 is a right sized aircraft to operate based upon their individual forecasts for the destination. I expect PAE will see a peak time RON of an A-320 or 738 in the future.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

gunsontheroof

Wed May 08, 2019 12:05 am

727glasair wrote:

They fly to SNA as well. As others have said, QX E175s were the plan from day one.

I took my first flight out of PAE (to SJC) this past Thursday and have to say, it was a great experience. No security line, quiet, well-appointed terminal and great staff all-around. I'm seriously considering using PAE-PDX as a conduit for any non-west coast flights I might take to avoid SEA...it's just as close for me.

Also, regarding the noise, I suspected it wouldn't make a noticeable difference for anyone who lives nearby. Those E175s aren't exactly screamers. It will be interesting to see if AS or UA throw in mainline equipment during peak season. Everyone I've talked to who's flown out of PAE had nothing but rave reviews (non-av geeks, mind you) and I suspect the word is getting out.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

B747forever

Wed May 08, 2019 1:14 am

Tomorrow I am taking the long way to PHX flying LAX-PAE-PHX just to see what PAE is like. Looking forward to my flights! From photos I have seen the small terminal seems really nice.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BoeingGuy

Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
727glasair wrote:

They fly to SNA as well. As others have said, QX E175s were the plan from day one.

I took my first flight out of PAE (to SJC) this past Thursday and have to say, it was a great experience. No security line, quiet, well-appointed terminal and great staff all-around. I'm seriously considering using PAE-PDX as a conduit for any non-west coast flights I might take to avoid SEA...it's just as close for me.

Also, regarding the noise, I suspected it wouldn't make a noticeable difference for anyone who lives nearby. Those E175s aren't exactly screamers. It will be interesting to see if AS or UA throw in mainline equipment during peak season. Everyone I've talked to who's flown out of PAE had nothing but rave reviews (non-av geeks, mind you) and I suspect the word is getting out.

I’m also considering the same thing you mentioned. Maybe it’s worth it to add an extra connection at PDX, SJC, SFO, DEN, or LAX to be able to fly out of the close and easy PAE rather than go all the way down to SEA.

Does anyone know if AS is code sharing with AA or anyone else on their PAE flights?

wedgetail737

Wed May 08, 2019 1:32 am

I think AS will replace E75's with 737's or A32X airplanes on a couple of the PAE flights sooner rather than later. I would guess next summer. The E-175's are good airplanes to test the market.

KlimaBXsst

Wed May 08, 2019 1:39 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
727glasair wrote:

I’m also considering the same thing you mentioned. Maybe it’s worth it to add an extra connection at PDX, SJC, SFO, DEN, or LAX to be able to fly out of the close and easy PAE rather than go all the way down to SEA.

Does anyone know if AS is code sharing with AA or anyone else on their PAE flights?

I actually can confirm this. Was looking at an article today to take a ride from DFW and confirmed a routing.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

BoeingGuy

Wed May 08, 2019 1:44 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

I actually can confirm this. Was looking at an article today to take a ride from DFW and confirmed a routing.

So AA code shares on PAE-PDX?

KlimaBXsst

Wed May 08, 2019 1:46 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

Try booking GGG-PAE for example. Kind of an interesting way to get there especially for WN or AA PAX from the metroplex.

JAAlbert

Wed May 08, 2019 1:47 am

Perhaps the airlines are starting small and will use larger planes once a healthy number of passengers use the airport regularly.

DarthLobster

Wed May 08, 2019 2:06 am

727glasair wrote:

Guessing the friendly neighborhood NIMBYs will stuff huff and puff and blow themselves down over it though...

KlimaBXsst

Wed May 08, 2019 2:14 am

GRK-PAE is another great routing showing the available codeshare cities to PAE in addition to PDX.

I particularly am looking forward to using the NEW AA Envoy Terminal in E at DFW soon. It’s the former Satellite Terminal used in DFW when Delta used to have a hub there.

B747forever

Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Currently at PAE waiting for my connecting flight to PHX.

What a lovely airport! Such a relaxed feeling, with non existent queues for check in/security. They did a really good job with the interior. Only thing is that the gate area is a bit crowded with 2-3 flights departing in close succession. Also, the PA system must be the same they use at LHR as I recognize that voice!
Work Hard, Fly Right

727glasair
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Great!!! Have a wonderful trip! Very much looking forward to your report....

wedgetail737

Wed May 08, 2019 6:45 pm

B747forever wrote:

What a lovely airport! Such a relaxed feeling, with non existent queues for check in/security. They did a really good job with the interior. Only thing is that the gate area is a bit crowded with 2-3 flights departing in close succession. Also, the PA system must be the same they use at LHR as I recognize that voice!

Connection? From where?

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 08, 2019 6:53 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Connection? From where?

From upthread:

B747forever wrote:
Tomorrow I am taking the long way to PHX flying LAX-PAE-PHX just to see what PAE is like. Looking forward to my flights! From photos I have seen the small terminal seems really nice.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Rbgso

Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 pm

B747forever wrote:

Spoken like a true aviation geek....

cschleic

Wed May 08, 2019 7:44 pm

Another thread has discussed the new service. One issue mentioned, and I noticed it when I was there recently, is long lines at the unisex bathrooms when the terminal is crowded.

Looking at the AS website, they sell various one-stop trips through PAE that might otherwise have SEA as the connection point. And I saw people there who were connecting at PAE. Certainly easier than connecting in SEA. But that's one of the points of the PAE service...to alleviate SEA congestion, as well as being a convenient alternative for passengers who live north of Seattle.

N0dak

Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Try booking GGG-PAE for example. Kind of an interesting way to get there especially for WN or AA PAX from the metroplex.

Just for grins I searched that routing through American. It offered me GGG-DFW-SEA-PDX-PAE as an option. :lol:

weaglibrium

Wed May 08, 2019 8:05 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
GRK-PAE is another great routing showing the available codeshare cities to PAE in addition to PDX.

Just because it prices a single itinerary does not mean it is a codeshare. If you noticed the flights listed as options from GRK to PAE include an AS number, not an AA number. That's an interline.

KlimaBXsst

Wed May 08, 2019 8:27 pm

weaglibrium wrote:
Just because it prices a single itinerary does not mean it is a codeshare. If you noticed the flights listed as options from GRK to PAE include an AS number, not an AA number. That's an interline.

Good catch... YES different flight numbers on all flights GRK-PAE with a stop in DFW to AS cities on to PAE via Horizon E-Jets. I stand corrected. Funny how they are NOT codeshares. I wonder why? Well at least there are convenient AA interline connections.

KlimaBXsst

Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Note, I did double check GGG and my routings on AA were convenient GGG-DFW-PDX-PAE same day routings if leaving early in the morning.

SurfandSnow

Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm

I can't help but wonder about the possibility of PAE-Hawaii service. Obviously that would mean mainline service for this seemingly extremely popular airport!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

SANFan

Wed May 08, 2019 9:49 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I can't help but wonder about the possibility of PAE-Hawaii service. Obviously that would mean mainline service for this seemingly extremely popular airport!

I believe PAE is pretty much maxed out with the number of departures. For AAG to add any more destinations from Everett, they'd have to cut existing service and from what I've seen, most of the flights are going out pretty close to full most of the time.

If added capacity is desired to even the 8 existing destinations -- which wouldn't surprise me at all -- the only way to do it is bring in mainline equipment (if they feel the small airport can handle that number of pax without resembling a New York subway at rush hour! This was my fear when the design and size of the terminal was first revealed...)

There are probably lots of additional routes that AS (and UA?) dream about from PAE but I don't see it happening in the near or even mid-term future.

bb

B747forever

Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Rbgso wrote:
B747forever wrote:

Spoken like a true aviation geek....

Haha, an easy 370mi one hour LAX-PHX flight was turned into a detour of about 470% longer (2117mi total).

Anyway, both flights were early. The LAX-PAE flight was very empty, load 18/76 while the PAE-PHX flight was full 74/76.

All around I heard many people talking positively of PAE. Some even hope it stays a secret so it doesn't get too crowded, though with all flights being operated by the E175 it won't get much busier than it already is. Also, don't know if it will be a wise idea to upgrade all flights to mainline as it will then be very busy if you have a couple of full mainline flights departing in close succession. With the limited number of gates PAE will only be a regional airport with a couple dozens of flights at most, and not really a fully fledged alternative to SEA.
Don't know if the idea with unisex restrooms is good as there were consistently lines to use them. Love the small seating area by the fireplace. From the terminal one could see some activity from Boeing. I counted 9 MAX aircraft lined up, and a bunch of 787s during initial climb out.
Work Hard, Fly Right

cledaybuck

Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 pm

cschleic wrote:

Looking at the AS website, they sell various one-stop trips through PAE that might otherwise have SEA as the connection point. And I saw people there who were connecting at PAE. Certainly easier than connecting in SEA. But that's one of the points of the PAE service...to alleviate SEA congestion, as well as being a convenient alternative for passengers who live north of Seattle.

Connections in PAE is absolutely not the point.

n7371f

Thu May 09, 2019 4:33 am

Wait until the first DOT numbers come out...There are going to be some real ugly numbers. Not all. But there are routes that are a mess. If AS is invested in PAE-PDX, they're going to have the Q in there soon.

PDXFlyingBear

Thu May 09, 2019 5:08 am

Just went through PAE Everett yesterday on my way from PDX to PDX (via PAE/SAN/SJC of course!).
2228 miles and 14 hours of airports and flying. Fun!
Wanted to see the new PAE terminal and also fly on the E175 which I have never had the chance to fly on before. Loved both.

The new terminal at PAE is very nice with a high end boutique feeling to it. Not your average airport terminal, nor was it designed to be one.

Like other posters have said, when several flights are in at the same time, it can start to get a bit crowded. When I arrived on Alaska/Horizon
# 2879 @ 8:17am, only our flight and another QX E175 that had almost finished boarding, were there. Gate #1 which had almost finished boarding
(only one runner left with his backpack!), was empty. But on the other side of terminal, the gate area for gates #2A/B where my flight arrived, was
not crowded, but still plenty full of people waiting to board my arriving plane for Las Vegas. If gate #2B (the stand gate, no jet bridge) was being used
at the same time, it would really start to get too crowded for most people to feel comfortable. The departure lounge inbetween gates #1 & 2 with the extra nice
furniture, two fireplaces, and the full bar will hold about a full plane load of E175 passengers, but no way will it handle much more than that. So if
Alaska/Horizon & United start to put mainline jets into PAE, it will get a bit crowded to say the least. And that is not even taking into account delayed
flights/cancellations/weather that will surely happen at some time. Will be interesting to see when or if mainline jets will start to appear at PAE.

Restrooms will be a problem at PAE. There are not enough of them when terminal is busy. If I counted right, there are only three unisex restrooms
on each gate side for a total of six post security. There are more presecurity, but that does you no good if you are in secure area and really have to go!

Was a bit bummed that Beecher's restaurant was not open yet. Wanted to try them out and get something to hold me over until San Diego.
PAE website says it will open in June. I was just a bit too early!

Glass jet bridges are great! Wish more U.S. airports would use them.

PAE can also be a great spotting airport for Boeing aircraft. Saw lots of 787's, KC-46 Tanker, and unfortunately a lineup of stored Max 8"s.
I was really lucky that I also got to see the Boeing 747 Dreamlifter takeoff! Yes! I have seen it coming in to land at PDX a few times, so I
was glad to see her again. Also got a small peek of two of the new 777-9 with her wing tips up.

What is up with the automated announcements?! Strange hearing a full Brithish accent in the Northwest United States airport. Don't get me wrong!
Nothing wrong with the accent, just seems out of place at least to me.

Overall I would give the new PAE a big thumbs up. I over heard several local area passengers saying how much they loved it and plan on using it much more.
I think it is going to be very successful.

Since I am blabbering on here, I also really enjoyed the E175. Great little plane and comfortable in "cattle car class" or coach for you sophisticated folks.
Also tried out Alaska/Horizon's Premier Class on some of my segments to see if it was worth the money. I found the "regular" coach seats just fine with enough
"butt/shoulder" room/leg space and I am a big guy at 6' and 260#. The extra space in Premier was nice, but not that big of a deal to me.
Do get to board in the "B" group which is nice and you do get one alcoholic drink and upgraded snack for a nice little touch.
For those like me that can not afford first class, on longer flights it can be worth the money.

Hope this post was not too long for you guys. Longtime lurker, but first post!

B747forever

Thu May 09, 2019 5:29 am

Nice write up PDXFlyingBear, and I agree on many of your points after my flights through PAE today. Yes, I counted 3 unisex bathrooms at each gate area (total 6), but you forgot the 2 family rooms that also function as restrooms, so totally 10 restrooms for the whole post security area.

What was the load on your flights to/from PAE?
Work Hard, Fly Right

PDXFlyingBear

Thu May 09, 2019 5:51 am

B747forever wrote:
Nice write up PDXFlyingBear, and I agree on many of your points after my flights through PAE today. Yes, I counted 3 unisex bathrooms at each gate area (total 6), but you forgot the 2 family rooms that also function as restrooms, so totally 10 restrooms for the whole post security area.

What was the load on your flights to/from PAE?

Thank you B747forever.

Flight from PDX to PAE #2879, was I guess a little over 50% full.
Flight from PAE to SAN #2676, was almost 100% full. I was in Premiun Class on this flight, so I boarded early and could not see how full
back of cabin was. But I do know that they kept boarding for a long time, with some last minute runners. Had to be a good load factor for AS/QX.

I love the 747 also. Have not had the good fortune to fly on one in a long time. Boo!
Flew on Pan Am 747-100 in summer of 1981 to Guam via HNL and back later same summer.
I was a "bad" kid (well I was 18, so maybe kid in not right!) on my last flight and took a First Class Pan Am blanket as a souvenir.
First Class blankets were blue and coach was red. I wanted First Class of course!
Wish I still had it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos