Mortyman
Topic Author

Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA results for April

Wed May 08, 2019 6:55 am

Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA results for April

Better numbers, most likely helped in part by various cuts, but also easter holiday and the SAS strike

https://media.uk.norwegian.com/pressrel ... il-2869458

https://media.uk.norwegian.com/document ... 2019-87837

AirlineCritic

Re: Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA results for April

Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 am

I can imagine how big boost the strike has been for them!

But. I didn't see the financial numbers, I guess they are only reported at the end of the quarter? That is what matters. Passenger numbers growth is good, but this airline has been requiring major capital injection frequently, and the only way they can survive is turning the incredible losses to at least bearable. Any indication that the better passenger numbers are making a sufficient impact there?

bluefrog

Wed May 08, 2019 7:56 am

i'm not that much of an aviation geek like a lot on here who are, but why don't they cut the lesser flights that aren't making money ?why do they need to inject large amounts to keep aflot ?,i was also thinking of booking to go state side later this year (october) but i don't want to lose my money if they hit the wall like WOW ,should i book with them or try a normal airline like air france (i'm in france )

PatrickZ80

Wed May 08, 2019 4:29 pm

bluefrog wrote:
i'm not that much of an aviation geek like a lot on here who are, but why don't they cut the lesser flights that aren't making money ?why do they need to inject large amounts to keep aflot ?,i was also thinking of booking to go state side later this year (october) but i don't want to lose my money if they hit the wall like WOW ,should i book with them or try a normal airline like air france (i'm in france )

Because route planning never made any sense at Norwegian. They're just opening random routes and wait for them to work, that's exactly the reason they're in such a bad financial shape. They have a large collection of routes, but they don't have a network. Each flight is doing nothing for the other.

Unless some major changes happen at Norwegian, they will eventually go down. They can't go on like this forever. When that will be? Nobody knows. Could be this year, could be next year or the year after. The collapse of Norwegian has been predicted for about a decade and still didn't happen. And I don't see those major changes happening at Norwegian, they're very conservative. They stick to their business model, no matter if it works or not. If it doesn't work, don't think they'll make any changes to make it work.

My personal prediction is that you'll be relatively safe booking with Norwegian for October. Not entirely guaranteed, but we're approaching summer which is mostly the profitable time of the year for airlines. If an airline goes down, this usually happens in the winter which is low season. WOW Air bit the dust a few months ago, in the middle of the winter. That's when there hardly are any passengers.

Last year I went to Los Angeles in October and I flew Norwegian. Nothing wrong with them. I'm not entirely sure when I booked, but I think it was somewhere around May. That's a year ago. I had a bit of the same doubts, but everything went fine. I had a very nice trip for very little money. It was at least € 150 cheaper than the cheapest legacy airline and € 500 cheaper than a direct flight (I flew one-stop).

You could of course book with a legacy carrier, but they're guaranteed to be more expensive. You mentioned Air France, that's an airline I would never book with. They're too much prone to strikes. Of course, strikes can happen everywhere but Air France is famous for it. Striking is in the French culture.

Should Norwegian go bankrupt, you could try to get your money back through your credit card company. You probably won't get a full refund, but most likely they'll be able to get you a partial refund. But if you fly an airline that goes on strike at the day of your flight, you can say goodbye to your trip. You're entitled to a later flight, but that probably won't match your hotel reservation and days off from work.

AF022

Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
bluefrog wrote:

Because route planning never made any sense at Norwegian. They're just opening random routes and wait for them to work, that's exactly the reason they're in such a bad financial shape. They have a large collection of routes, but they don't have a network. Each flight is doing nothing for the other.

Unless some major changes happen at Norwegian, they will eventually go down. They can't go on like this forever. When that will be? Nobody knows. Could be this year, could be next year or the year after. The collapse of Norwegian has been predicted for about a decade and still didn't happen. And I don't see those major changes happening at Norwegian, they're very conservative. They stick to their business model, no matter if it works or not. If it doesn't work, don't think they'll make any changes to make it work.

My personal prediction is that you'll be relatively safe booking with Norwegian for October. Not entirely guaranteed, but we're approaching summer which is mostly the profitable time of the year for airlines. If an airline goes down, this usually happens in the winter which is low season. WOW Air bit the dust a few months ago, in the middle of the winter. That's when there hardly are any passengers.

Last year I went to Los Angeles in October and I flew Norwegian. Nothing wrong with them. I'm not entirely sure when I booked, but I think it was somewhere around May. That's a year ago. I had a bit of the same doubts, but everything went fine. I had a very nice trip for very little money. It was at least € 150 cheaper than the cheapest legacy airline and € 500 cheaper than a direct flight (I flew one-stop).

You could of course book with a legacy carrier, but they're guaranteed to be more expensive. You mentioned Air France, that's an airline I would never book with. They're too much prone to strikes. Of course, strikes can happen everywhere but Air France is famous for it. Striking is in the French culture.

Should Norwegian go bankrupt, you could try to get your money back through your credit card company. You probably won't get a full refund, but most likely they'll be able to get you a partial refund. But if you fly an airline that goes on strike at the day of your flight, you can say goodbye to your trip. You're entitled to a later flight, but that probably won't match your hotel reservation and days off from work.

Couldn't agree more. Their network is a mess. Growing the network increase economies of scale would work if the flights connected, but they don't. It is just too haphazard.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos