Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Ethiopian Cuts Addis Ababa-Lome-Houston Before It Starts?

Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2019/

I'm no longer able to book the route. It seems to be removed.

tbboko802

Re: Ethiopian Cuts Addis Ababa-Lome-Houston Before It Starts?

Wed May 08, 2019 10:56 am

It has not been bookable basically from the the announcement of the schedule. Searches would show that the flight was present on the schedule but I did not find a pricing once. If booking was attempted, the passenger was routed through ORD, IAD or EWR.
Be Open to Change

JFKIceman

Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 am

They might be using their 788 for routes they expected the 73max to operate

iadadd

Wed May 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Good. They need to work on their current US routes, before further expansion. Their strategy has been a little haphazard in 2019: cancelling LA, shifting the EWR-ABJ to JFK, adding ABJ to IAD, then announcing ORD to 5x weekly by April (but only 4x weekly now), announcing IAH via LFW.

I think ET is trying to make its newer U.S. routes work from both the perspective of ADD as a hub, as well as finding a 5th freedom market to West Africa. This strategy results in bad scheduling, and in turn low demand. I can imagine bookings weren't looking too good on this route.

yeogeo

Wed May 08, 2019 1:35 pm

iadadd wrote:
They need to work on their current US routes, before further expansion. Their strategy has been a little haphazard in 2019: ...announcing ORD to 5x weekly by April (but only 4x weekly now)...

For May ET is flying 4X/week, yes, but upguaged to 777 (from 787) for the majority of flights. They return to an all 787 schedule when they go to 5X/week on 6/11.

LH658

Wed May 08, 2019 3:56 pm

When the flight was announced, I saw the flight available for booking few days after on Google Flights.

berari

Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm

iadadd wrote:
Good. They need to work on their current US routes, before further expansion. Their strategy has been a little haphazard in 2019: cancelling LA, shifting the EWR-ABJ to JFK, adding ABJ to IAD, then announcing ORD to 5x weekly by April (but only 4x weekly now), announcing IAH via LFW.

I think ET is trying to make its newer U.S. routes work from both the perspective of ADD as a hub, as well as finding a 5th freedom market to West Africa. This strategy results in bad scheduling, and in turn low demand. I can imagine bookings weren't looking too good on this route.

They are actually doing the right thing considering constraints, growth needs etc. This new wave of changes sees:
- removal of LAX which was highly dependent on 5th freedom from DUB. Route is unprofitable otherwise and made no sense to fly 15+ hours nonstop from LFW to LAX when there was no money to be made
- ABJ-JFK makes sense, and is likely in favour of landing closer to where the African diaspora lives: Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn. LFW-EWR remains, ET's initial want was to fly into JFK but slot and timing didn't allow it
- growth at ORD is fantastic to see, and the frequency increase that's not matching what was announced is likely related to aircraft availability. Capacity increase is noted with the 77L deployed instead of the 788 which makes up for the 5th frequency
- frequency increase to IAD with three additional flights via ABJ is welcomed: more capacity, daytime and nighttime flights in/out of ADD
- capacity increase to YYZ in the form of deploying the A350 is also a positive move
- IAH is a good opportunity for ET, but it will have to be dependent on feed from LFW. ASKY is adjusting schedules and requires additional frequency in order to make this happen.

The launch to IAH seems haphazard, but everything else related to their North American service is going in the right direction.

behramjee

Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Smart move by ET...as I’ve always stated for months before the LFW decision was made, that the only way ET has a chance of making IAH work is to operate via LOS with 5th freedom rights.

LAXdude1023

Wed May 08, 2019 4:13 pm

behramjee wrote:
Smart move by ET...as I’ve always stated for months before the LFW decision was made, that the only way ET has a chance of making IAH work is to operate via LOS with 5th freedom rights.

This.

I was excited to have them come in, but not like this.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

behramjee

Wed May 08, 2019 10:57 pm

I guess someone from ET is reading what I and some others have been saying all along concerning what is needed to make IAH viable.

Effective 23JUN, ASKY has published for sale new 3 weekly LOS-LFW-LOS flights which are scheduled to connect within 2 hours in each direction via LFW to IAH.

23JUN SUN LOS/Z¥1 IAH/CDT-6
ET RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
7ET*1031 C7 J7 D7 P7*LOSLFW 1115P 1115P 737 M 0 WFS /E
Y7 G0 S7 B7 M7 K7 L7 V7 H7 U7 Q0
8ET 518 C0 J0 D0 P0* IAH 1¥ 115A 940A 787 0 MQJ /E
R0 Y0 G0 S0 B0 M0 K0 L0 V0 H0 U0

29JUN SAT IAH/CDT LOS/¥6
ET RESPONSE ** DIRECT CONNECT PARTICIPANT **
7ET 519 C0 J0 D0 P0*IAHLFW 1200N 500A¥1 787 0 MQJ /E
R0 Y0 G0 S0 B0 M0 K0 L0 V0 H0 U0
8ET*1032 C7 J7 D7 P7* LOS 700A 900A 737 M 0 TFS /E
Y7 G0 S7 B7 M7 K7 L7 V7 H7 U7 Q7

LH658

Thu May 09, 2019 12:25 am

I've been saying that in the past that ET will have to realign some flights at LFW due to North America connections.

berari

Fri May 10, 2019 4:07 am

LH658 wrote:
I've been saying that in the past that ET will have to realign some flights at LFW due to North America connections.

The only way ET can make it work while avoiding extra long ground times at North American destinations is by having its partner KP have multiple frequencies to regional destinations in/out of LFW. Even then destinations like IAH, given the timing, will not meet ET's traditional banks at ADD that see North American flights arrive in the morning and depart in the evening.

LH658

Fri May 10, 2019 4:19 am

So ET isn't coming to IAH?

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2019 1:19 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/Airlineroute ... 5363214336

Seems to be delayed until December 2019, no reservations available yet.

Mboyle1988

Sat May 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Why don’t they fly nonstop to ADD?

NYCVIE

Sat May 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:

Because they'd be giving up the (probably larger) IAH-West Africa market without stopping there.

I would imagine they also wouldn't be able to fly ADD-IAH nonstop because of ADD's elevation but maybe someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

behramjee

Sat May 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Mboyle1988 wrote:

Block time is 16:30 for nonstop hence can’t be operated using any of the aircraft in ETs fleet when departing out of ADD.

No one has mentioned this as yet but I would like to know what ET is going to do with this 1 freed up B788 not going to IAH anymore during the peak summer season? Are they increasing flights to somewhere else?

evanb

Sat May 25, 2019 7:38 pm

behramjee wrote:
No one has mentioned this as yet but I would like to know what ET is going to do with this 1 freed up B788 not going to IAH anymore during the peak summer season? Are they increasing flights to somewhere else?

Covering for the B737 MAX 8.

behramjee

Sat May 25, 2019 7:44 pm

evanb wrote:
behramjee wrote:

Covering for the B737 MAX 8.

Ok good that means some intra Africa flights are getting upgraded to the B788.

evanb

Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 am

behramjee wrote:
Ok good that means some intra Africa flights are getting upgraded to the B788.

And some are getting the old B767-300ER too.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Here we go again.

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status ... 4451405824

Ethiopian has once again closed reservations for its already delayed Houston flight, scheduled for December 15th.

drerx7

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:09 am

I'd assume it still has to do with the MAX issue dragging on
HOUSTON, TEXAS

bravotango75

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:20 am

Not certain as to why they wanted to serve Houston in the first place.

drerx7

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:27 am

bravotango75 wrote:
Not certain as to why they wanted to serve Houston in the first place.

Large Star Alliance hub, VFR to the region, oil ties to the region.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

YoungDon

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:15 am

drerx7 wrote:
I'd assume it still has to do with the MAX issue dragging on

Same. Guess they still have to use the 787 to cover some MAX routes.

berari

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm

The flight is back on. Loaded and ready to start in December via Lomé. They also announced it on their social media today. The aircraft will be on the ground at Houston for 20 hours. This is the best they can do given the established feed options they have at Lomé.

tkoenig95

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm

berari wrote:
The flight is back on. Loaded and ready to start in December via Lomé. They also announced it on their social media today. The aircraft will be on the ground at Houston for 20 hours. This is the best they can do given the established feed options they have at Lomé.

Great to see attempt number 3! Is there possible connection opportunity past Houston?

hohd

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
berari wrote:

Great to see attempt number 3! Is there possible connection opportunity past Houston?

Yes there are connection opportunities, but not with UA which is the least cooperative Star alliance member. It will never give any special rate to Ethiopian, even though in this case they are not even a competitor. ET will have better luck with AA or DL or some other airline at IAH.

YoungDon

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:42 pm

hohd wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:
berari wrote:

Yes there are connection opportunities, but not with UA which is the least cooperative Star alliance member. It will never give any special rate to Ethiopian, even though in this case they are not even a competitor. ET will have better luck with AA or DL or some other airline at IAH.

What's UA's issue with ET? As you said, they don't even compete. What's the deal there? Los Angeles, DFW and Seattle connection opportunities would be really good for the viability of this flight.

Also 20 hours on the ground?! Wow.

hohd

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:49 pm

UA is generally non cooperative with any airline, especially Star airlines. Its focus is only on JV's or where it has a financial interest (or some other agreement). For example, it does not feed TK, so why would it feed ET. May be because it wants the traffic to go through LH, which is its JV partner. Best thing ET can hope due to the frequent flyer accrual and redemption, it might get some flyers who would otherwise use other airlines (like EK or QR).

Freshside3

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:53 pm

YoungDon wrote:
hohd wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:

What's UA's issue with ET? As you said, they don't even compete. What's the deal there? Los Angeles, DFW and Seattle connection opportunities would be really good for the viability of this flight.

ET is one of the "ugly stepchildren" of the alliance, as far as UA is concerned. ET is in the "same boat" as LO/A3/TG. It astounds me why UA is not cooperating with these four carriers more.

Yes, agreed that those connection cities could bring in a lot of revenue. DEN could also figure in. And also MSP, on the days that the ORD-ADD trip is not operating.

EK216

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm

hohd wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:
berari wrote:

If ET will have better connections with AA, should they have opted for DFW instead? Or are they really trying to bridge VFR and oil from specifically from Houston to West Africa and Ethiopia? Is the demand that strong?

FSDan

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Schedule:
Dep ADD 08:30 Arr LFW 11:20 Mo We Sa
Dep LFW 12:40 Arr IAH 20:20 Mo We Sa
Dep IAH 16:00 Arr LFW 11:40+1 Tu Th Su
Dep LFW 12:40 Arr ADD 21:05 Mo We Fr

Looks like there are connections from LFW to ACC and LOS within 1-2 hours of the IAH flight in both directions, so hopefully that helps this flight succeed!
Last edited by FSDan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

berari

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
YoungDon wrote:
hohd wrote:

ET is one of the "ugly stepchildren" of the alliance, as far as UA is concerned. ET is in the "same boat" as LO/A3/TG. It astounds me why UA is not cooperating with these four carriers more.

Yes, agreed that those connection cities could bring in a lot of revenue. DEN could also figure in. And also MSP, on the days that the ORD-ADD trip is not operating.

I am perplexed by what you guys are talking about, there are many connection opportunities specifically with UA which is why ET keeps targeting UA hubs as US destinations. ET flies to IAD, ORD, EWR and now to IAH. If you look at buying tickets on Ethiopian's website for connections via any of these cities, the fares/options come up with connecting flights having UA codes (granted some are operated by UA regional partners.) ET's operations to ORD are primarily driven by the plethora of connection opportunities presented to it by UA (I recall doing an analysis and post about it with about 104 connecting/feeding opportunities for ORD-ADD alone!)

If you are talking codeshare, then yes, UA is selective about codesharing and so are other airlines including ET. UA does have its code on ET's nonstop flight to ADD from IAD and onwards to other African destinations. UA also places its code on ET flights from Europe to ADD. ET selectively places its code on UA-operated flights that connect onto its own - for example, SEA-IAD ET 1369 Boeing 737-900 Operated by United Airlines.

ET is not exactly an "ugly step child" in the eyes of UA. UA has a joint venture with LH group for trans-Atlantic ops, and it favours that arrangement to others. Makes business sense, and while in an alliance, these airlines are still in competition. Air Canada does the same and is super protective of it (recall their spat with UAE which threatened their existing trans Atlantic partnership.)

IAH is the best next destination for ET, from feed to partner hub to access to oil and gas traffic. ET has formidable feed at LFW for West and Central Africa. If there is any shortcoming it's the 20 hour ground time for the aircraft at IAH, but I am sure it all makes business sense for ET.

berari

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 pm

FSDan wrote:
Schedule:
Dep ADD 08:30 Arr LFW 11:20 Mo We Sa
Dep LFW 12:40 Arr IAH 20:20 Mo We Sa
Dep IAH 16:00 Arr LFW 11:40+1 Tu Th Su
Dep LFW 12:40 Arr ADD 21:05 Mo We Fr

Looks like there are connections from LFW to ACC and LOS within 1-2 hours of the IAH flight in both directions, so hopefully that helps this flight succeed!

This is what this flight is meant to be boosted by: LOS, ACC and all arrivals into LFW by partner/partly ET owned airline ASKY from all over western and central Africa. The previous attempts at scheduling that ET had didn't coincide with KP's hub activities at LFW. An existing operation into LFW is fed by ASKY at LFW and seems to hold well.

FSDan

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:54 pm

It looks like FIH also connects pretty well with IAH-LFW in both directions. That could also help out the IAH flight, as I believe there's quite a sizable Congolese diaspora in IAH (although I don't know how often they would travel back to the DRC).

CALMSP

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Where they gonna have room in term D at 1600?

iadadd

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:39 am

Ethiopian is so adamant on serving IAH. Clearly, their last 2 attempts have failed, and this 20 hour wait on the ground doesn't seem much better either. I wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled in a few weeks

drerx7

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 am

Failed? Why? They never started...its clearly due to the fleet pressure by the MAX grounding. Let's actually have them start and fail before we say they failed twice.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Planes4you

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:01 am

berari wrote:

This flight won’t last long

YoungDon

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am

Planes4you wrote:
berari wrote:

Not sure what makes you think that. IAH has the most foreign tail service of any airport in the southern US (outside of MIA of course) and could definitely use a west Africa link for oil traffic and VFR. Only IAH and ATL have ever had direct service to Africa with respect to southern airports, and the former service to LOS was popular, only ending because of currency repatriation issues in Nigeria. Theres precedent for Houston to West Africa service.

Any traffic going all the way to Addis is more of a bonus, and 3x a week on a 788 isn't that much capacity. Apparently there will be connections available at both Houston and Lomé, so the demand should be there. ET has low costs as well as another advantage. The only thing I worry about as far as this flight goes is the ground time - I can't think of another flight I've ever heard of that sits for 20 hours before returning.

diesel33

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:48 pm

YoungDon wrote:
The only thing I worry about as far as this flight goes is the ground time - I can't think of another flight I've ever heard of that sits for 20 hours before returning.

Japan Airlines’ flight between NRT and BOS has a ground time of approximately 19.5 hours in BOS before returning to NRT for better connectivity to banks.

JL 8 NRT 18:15 BOS 18:05
JL 7 BOS 13:35 NRT 16:30+1

LAXdude1023

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Planes4you wrote:
berari wrote:

Give your explanation on why you think so.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

YoungDon

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 pm

diesel33 wrote:
YoungDon wrote:
The only thing I worry about as far as this flight goes is the ground time - I can't think of another flight I've ever heard of that sits for 20 hours before returning.

Japan Airlines’ flight between NRT and BOS has a ground time of approximately 19.5 hours in BOS before returning to NRT for better connectivity to banks.

Good find, thanks. So there is some precedent. The longest ground times I could think of were for overnight markets like US-Brazil or Europe-South Africa where most flights arrive in the morning, sit all day, and depart in the evening.

I do hope this flight sticks though, IAH-Africa service has been an off and on thing and I'd like to see ET do well here. We shall see.

Planes4you

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:14 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
berari wrote:

Give your explanation on why you think so.

20 hours on the ground is expensive

CALMSP

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm

FI in DEN sits for almost 22

berari

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:12 pm

iadadd wrote:
Ethiopian is so adamant on serving IAH. Clearly, their last 2 attempts have failed, and this 20 hour wait on the ground doesn't seem much better either. I wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled in a few weeks

The last two attempts (at the planning stage) failed because of the ill timed schedules that they had presented: no feed existed from their hub at LFW. This new schedule follows the proven approach they have today for flights to Newark. IAH has the traffic ET needs to make this flight successful, with a large Nigerian and West African diaspora in the region, oil traffic and an excellent UA hub to work with. If anything, for ET to start a new USA service, IAH is the logical choice.

UA served LOS from IAH and then pulled out citing poor financial performance. What UA didn't have is not only the feed that ET will have out of LFW from west and central African cities, but also the low cost structure that keeps ET at an advantage.

diesel33 wrote:
YoungDon wrote:

Good find. ET already has long ground time on its flights to Europe and Asia, and knows what the economics of it is. For example, the flight to CDG has the aircraft on the ground from 0620 to 2215, that's 16 hours.

FSDan

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

YoungDon wrote:
diesel33 wrote:
YoungDon wrote:

Good find, thanks. So there is some precedent. The longest ground times I could think of were for overnight markets like US-Brazil or Europe-South Africa where most flights arrive in the morning, sit all day, and depart in the evening.

Over the last few years, FI has also had several stations where 757s sit on the ground for 20+ hours.

And not that they are an example to emulate, but VR's RAI-BOS-RAI service arrives in BOS on Friday afternoon and doesn't head back to RAI until Monday morning...

behramjee

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:23 pm

berari wrote:
iadadd wrote:

The last two attempts (at the planning stage) failed because of the ill timed schedules that they had presented: no feed existed from their hub at LFW. This new schedule follows the proven approach they have today for flights to Newark. IAH has the traffic ET needs to make this flight successful, with a large Nigerian and West African diaspora in the region, oil traffic and an excellent UA hub to work with. If anything, for ET to start a new USA service, IAH is the logical choice.

UA served LOS from IAH and then pulled out citing poor financial performance. What UA didn't have is not only the feed that ET will have out of LFW from west and central African cities, but also the low cost structure that keeps ET at an advantage.

Berari...I have written this many times on ET IAH aspirations but you do not seem to be willing to accept reality. This new flight schedule to IAH via LFW (the 3rd attempt to launch) though offering very good connections in both directions to West Africa will not be successful. As previously stated, the LOS-IAH market segment is the largest i.e. 60,000 pax annually but the demand to other cities in West Africa combined is less than half of LOS-IAH by itself!

The demand from ACC to IAH is less than 8,000 passengers annually and already ASKY's LOS-LFW flight is over 70% full daily year round so at the very most LOS can feed 40-50 pax per flight to IAH via LFW which is not even 20% of the available on board capacity. Other oil city demand from WA to IAH is ABV 10,000, DLA 3,000, PNR 1,200, BZV 1,000 and LBV 1,000.

The only realistic way of making ET IAH flights a success is to operate them via LOS with 5th freedom traffic rights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos