xwb777

Re: Emirates announces -69% drop in net profits

Fri May 10, 2019 4:23 pm

In the 2017-2018 annual report, the order for 40 B787 was mentioned. In the latest annual report (2018-2019), the order isn't mentioned. So this tells us that the order is dead.

behramjee
Topic Author

Fri May 10, 2019 4:32 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Strato2 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
It used a tiny amount more fuel than a 77W.

Not in an apples to apples configuration. The 77W needs to be crammed with seats (10-abreast) to be able to live with the Superjumbo.

Since no one pays more for A380 Y, I respectfully disagree. At 9-across, the 77W burns a few percentage more, at 10-across a little less.

The claim was most efficient for fuel. In EK's long haul configuration, the 77W burns less per passenger than their A388.

The A388 does cost less per passenger than the 77W as when you send out a crew, it requires fewer hours per passenger. But it is worse than the A359, A35K, 787-10, 778, or 779.

EK definitely has the wrong fleet mix. I know this is 20/20 hindsight, but oh well. In today's environment, they must reduce the fleet.

Do recall this is partially due to the failed Trent PIP comparing to a very successful series of GE-90 PIPs. So not completely Apples to Apples. But that is why aircraft and engines must be PIPed and volume pays for PIPs.

Lightsaber

In "hindsight", I feel Emirates should have ordered the B789 when it cancelled its A359 order. From a flexible capacity offering point of view that would have been idle ie.

A380 for 500+ seater markets
B77W for 350-420 seater markets
B789 - 280 seater two class cabin (EK would have 30-35 J class seats hence) for medium density segments + opening new markets
B789 - 240 three class config for short/medium/long haul high premium markets + opening certain new market segments

I also feel that the A380 for EK is a very good airplane economics wise but there was no need to order so many of them. I really like the economics of the 2 class 615 seater and that is ideal for certain India routes too once they get bilateral access. I'm sure they will have eventually a high density 2 class B779 too which would seat 450-460 passengers approximately.

TC needs to retire in December this year so that there is new leadership and thought process for the 2020-30 decade. He has had his fun at EK and now time for someone new and refreshing to take over.

N809FR

Sat May 11, 2019 1:11 am

behramjee wrote:
I'm sure they will have eventually a high density 2 class B779 too which would seat 450-460 passengers approximately.

Exit limit on the 779 is 440 passengers, which is believe should allow a fairly sizable premium cabin still.

behramjee
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 4:33 am

N809FR wrote:
behramjee wrote:
I'm sure they will have eventually a high density 2 class B779 too which would seat 450-460 passengers approximately.

Exit limit on the 779 is 440 passengers, which is believe should allow a fairly sizable premium cabin still.

I am informed that this can be increased if an additional exit door is added + a couple more interior engineering changes.

Note that airlines such as AC AF FV (Rossiya) JL NH have a sub fleet of B773s that seat between 450-514 pax so in the future whenever they do order the B779X, they will want similar capacity on board minimum.

Other airlines who have a sub fleet of HD B773/77Ws but seat less than 450 pax include SV BG QR EY EK CX TG.

juliuswong

Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 am

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
EK not getting 787 , best news ever for loyal EK customers hurrah ...

Source please?

This is the second time on the thread but no one has bought any actual proofs of it. There seems to be no news at all either way.

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... 19-results

Click and download the Group report. Page 19. B787-10 is no longer mentioned.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

sciing

Sat May 11, 2019 8:18 am

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Source please?

This is the second time on the thread but no one has bought any actual proofs of it. There seems to be no news at all either way.

Such things are not in news.
Boeing‘s OD shows no order, EK did not mention anything in there future fleet planning! EK data is in the link in the 1st post.

VV

Sat May 11, 2019 9:28 am

Drop in net profit still means they made profit, doesn't it?

eta unknown

Sat May 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Yes still profitable, but the actual profit in relation to their overall revenue/expenses is very bad.

lightsaber

Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Yes still profitable, but the actual profit in relation to their overall revenue/expenses is very bad.

Put another way, their profit barely covered the dividend required to keep Dubai running and provide funds to meet the next fiscal year down payments. There is no hope of funding DWC expansion until profits dramatically improve. The lack of profits puts the world expo on a tighter budget.

That expo is intended to boost awareness of business opportunities in Dubai to boost O&D traffic. Economizing probably isn't too bad a thing.

Thanks to the huge boost in fares due to the Jet shutdown, I'm betting EK does better the next fiscal.

It is just past due to assign STC the title emeritus and form a new strategy. He did awesome, but now is time to adapt in a different environment.

Lightsaber
You know nothing John Snow.

Revelation

Sat May 11, 2019 3:16 pm

lightsaber wrote:
It is just past due to assign STC the title emeritus and form a new strategy. He did awesome, but now is time to adapt in a different environment.

It's interesting to me at least that our recent thread ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1421457 (which got dragged off topic) ) showed that STC is still running the show.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... t-the-a380 said:

Emirates, the world’s biggest long-haul airline, is reviewing its route network as it grapples with slowing economic growth and the demise of the A380 superjumbo, a plane that’s been the cornerstone of its strategic thinking for almost two decades.

Dubai-based Emirates has spent the past nine months “knocking down the network” to establish the optimum route profile both for itself and for the sheikdom, and is now close to the end of that exercise, president Tim Clark said at the 2019 Arabian Travel Market convention on Monday.

So it strongly suggests that STC is in charge of this major "knock down" effort and (as your post implies) it's not just concerned with the airline, it's scope extends to its role in the sheikdom.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

VV

Sat May 11, 2019 9:02 pm

eta unknown wrote:

Define "very bad".

eta unknown

Sun May 12, 2019 1:17 am

Look at the title of this thread :-)

zkojq

Sun May 12, 2019 3:52 am

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Source please?

Can you provide some evidence that EK is still going to purchase 787-10s?
First to fly the 787-9

UAEflyer

Sun May 12, 2019 5:54 am

I beileve they will stick to 787-9 & A350 in addition to the 77X.
with this report in hand, does it mean that EK profit margin is 5% -+ ?
seems scary if their running cost is this big !!

BTW they got their 110 A380 few days back (A6-EVC)

VV

Sun May 12, 2019 6:15 am

eta unknown wrote:

It says "Emirates announces -69% drop in net profits".

They didn't even say it was a loss, they only said the net profit went down.

eta unknown

Sun May 12, 2019 6:19 am

Read "-69%"

Junglejames

Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am

ASA wrote:
Aquila3 wrote:
Tell me a reason why one should fly Emirates without the A380 (in Y).
Without them EK will be an airline like all the others, and quite an average one, I would say.

I would say, either you haven't flown the average ones, or you haven't flown EK ...

Ask yourself which came first ... EK's success or the A380s? There lies the answer
That's funny. I've flown all sorts. EK are an airline I avoid now, unless it's an A380. They have little else going for them. They have tried too much, and forgotten the basics. Staff that don't have time to help with child seat belts. Telling crew you have an ordered veggie meal, only for them to vanish into thin air, and you go hungry (if given up caring by that point).

777s that are awful. Awful awful.

Why would I touch EK if it weren't for the quietest airliner around? Well I wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VV

Sun May 12, 2019 8:25 am

eta unknown wrote:
Read "-69%"

Yes, and it reads "Emirates announces -69% drop in net profits". You should really read it again and again.

If the profit for the previous year was 100 then last year they made a profit of 41.

That's still a PROFIT.

lutfi

Sun May 12, 2019 8:58 am

behramjee wrote:
N809FR wrote:
behramjee wrote:

I am informed that this can be increased if an additional exit door is added + a couple more interior engineering changes.

Note that airlines such as AC AF FV (Rossiya) JL NH have a sub fleet of B773s that seat between 450-514 pax so in the future whenever they do order the B779X, they will want similar capacity on board minimum.

Other airlines who have a sub fleet of HD B773/77Ws but seat less than 450 pax include SV BG QR EY EK CX TG.

Unless this was already planned & engineered from the start, I would expect it to be an expensive mod. Cutting new holes in aircraft is not something done lightly!

JL & NH B773 with >450 seats are domestic & A models. Not even they use 773ER domestically, and a 779X would be even worse

AC- I think it will be cheaper to give up 10 seats than have a different 779X version

AF - not sure.

scbriml

Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 am

VV wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
Read "-69%"

Yes, and it reads "Emirates announces -69% drop in net profits". You should really read it again and again.

If the profit for the previous year was 100 then last year they made a profit of 41.

That's still a PROFIT.

I hope you're not an accountant by trade!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

FrenchPotatoEye

Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am

zkojq wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Source please?

Can you provide some evidence that EK is still going to purchase 787-10s?

No I cannot. That's why I sought confirmation. :)

VV

Sun May 12, 2019 12:44 pm

scbriml wrote:
VV wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
Read "-69%"

That's still a PROFIT.

I hope you know basic arithmetic.

You may want to get back to school to learn arithmetic and may be to read?

The article says
"Group records 31st consecutive year of profit of AED 2.3 billion (US$ 631 million)"

Jetty

Sun May 12, 2019 1:09 pm

VV wrote:
scbriml wrote:
VV wrote:

That's still a PROFIT.

The article says
"Group records 31st consecutive year of profit of AED 2.3 billion (US$ 631 million)"

You still didn't see it?!?

I hope you know basis algebra :lol:

VV

Sun May 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Jetty wrote:
VV wrote:
scbriml wrote:

The article says

You still didn't see it?!?

I hope you know basis algebra :lol:

Ah, ok.

But 39 is still profit. I just don't understand the whole discussion about this when so many airlines are not making profit at all.

Some of them announced huge losses.

andrej

Sun May 12, 2019 1:53 pm

One has to look at the financials to make a judgement call. Yes, you are right saying that they still make a profit.

However judging from their statement (URL provided by you):

Emirates reports a profit of AED 871 million (US$ 237 million), 69% down from the previous year
    Revenue increases by 6% to AED 97.9 billion (US$ 26.7 billion), supported by steady passenger and cargo performance
    Airline capacity crosses 63 billion ATKM with a net addition of 2 new aircraft to the fleet

Their cost base increased, capacity increased, and revenues declined.

This is not stability that investors like to see. I agree with you that airline industry is volatile and revenues are not stable. However, one needs to study financials in a greater detail and trying to understand reasons for such results. What are cost factors? Is it one off?

Finally, like I say with any results. We need to see their cash flows and understand their ability to generate positive Free Cash Flows (FCFF). Company can generate profits, but it must generate positive CF.

BTW, check your algebra. ;)
Last edited by andrej on Sun May 12, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waly777

Sun May 12, 2019 1:53 pm

I am genuinely confused how $239 million as net profit = doom and gloom????

Sure some of the problems in the region were their fault, i.e. over capacity. But the weak economy and currency losses last year, were tangible. Despite this they made a decent net profit.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

Bricktop

Sun May 12, 2019 2:07 pm

zeke wrote:
Reducing the number of passengers visiting DXB using smaller aircraft will hurt many businesses in the city. A strategic view needs to be taken.

I would think reducing the number of passengers would reduce transfers though. The people who want to visit Dubai would be unaffected. Maybe people who take a layover of a couple of days, but is that a significant market? I don’t know the stats on that.

jagraham

Sun May 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Analysts will worry about the trend.
If the trend continues EK will be losing money next year.
So what will EK do to change the trend?
Will the route restructuring be enough?
Can EK afford all those new planes? Can they handle P2P flying skimming the cream of their customers?

zeke

Sun May 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Bricktop wrote:
I would think reducing the number of passengers would reduce transfers though. The people who want to visit Dubai would be unaffected. Maybe people who take a layover of a couple of days, but is that a significant market? I don’t know the stats on that.

A lot of tourism traffic (hotels, restaurants, tours etc) get their main business from the 1-2 night stopovers between long flights.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

lightsaber

Sun May 12, 2019 5:12 pm

zeke wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

A lot of tourism traffic (hotels, restaurants, tours etc) get their main business from the 1-2 night stopovers between long flights.

The revPar in Dubai is declining. This article tries to be optimistic, but there seems to be regional trouble in hotels which implies the need to right size the airlines.

https://amp.arabianbusiness.com/amp/art ... rm-in-2019

Lightsaber

vegas005

Sun May 12, 2019 5:16 pm

andrej wrote:
One has to look at the financials to make a judgement call. Yes, you are right saying that they still make a profit.

Emirates reports a profit of AED 871 million (US$ 237 million), 69% down from the previous year
    Revenue increases by 6% to AED 97.9 billion (US$ 26.7 billion), supported by steady passenger and cargo performance
    Airline capacity crosses 63 billion ATKM with a net addition of 2 new aircraft to the fleet

This is not stability that investors like to see. I agree with you that airline industry is volatile and revenues are not stable. However, one needs to study financials in a greater detail and trying to understand reasons for such results. What are cost factors? Is it one off?

Finally, like I say with any results. We need to see their cash flows and understand their ability to generate positive Free Cash Flows (FCFF). Company can generate profits, but it must generate positive CF.

Revenue was up not down...check you reading skills :)
However, that is a tiny profit margin and signals need for changes.

andrej

Sun May 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Revenue was up not down...check you reading skills :)

Touche! OK. Revenues were up, profit was down. Good now? :)

However my point still stands. Why has the cost base increased so dramatically, resulting in a 69% drop of profit (net income). Many have offered possible reasons.

JayinKitsap

Sun May 12, 2019 6:26 pm

andrej wrote:

Revenue increased by 6%

Margin is Profit / Revenues .237B/26.7B = 0.88% Not good. Still profitable but should be over 5%

smartplane

Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Profit maximisation per se, within constraints, is only part of the EK and Group focus.

For example, EK will have received guidance to maximise destination Dubai business, while one runway is out of operation.

scbriml

Sun May 12, 2019 9:59 pm

VV wrote:

I do, but apparently you don't! :rotfl:

As for the personal insults... :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

JayinKitsap

Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 pm

EK COO resigns because of the dismal results.

https://www.apnews.com/493215748d32451f8bd4c934532b178e

Arion640

Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:

That’s surprising - there were external factors at play here despite the over capacity.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

Arion640

Sun May 12, 2019 11:32 pm

eta unknown wrote:

They’ve done ok and are still in the black. It’s not Alitalia.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

eta unknown

Mon May 13, 2019 12:10 am

EK just finished their Australian staff restructure with several redundancies, however the cost savings on salaries/rent are negligible when compared to the flight operations charges.

Buffalomatt1027

Mon May 13, 2019 1:20 am

A fully loaded A380 is very profitable, even with high fuel costs.

EKs issues might be load%. If an a380 isnt 100% full, its hard to make money and be profitable.

This conversation on this site has been brought up numerous times.

xwb777

Mon May 13, 2019 2:40 am

Emirates needs a minimim load of 85% on the A380 to be profitable

Airlinerdude

Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 am

JayinKitsap wrote:

I don't think the dismal results were necessarily the entire reason TA left. As quoted from a reuter's article:

The spokeswoman declined to comment when asked why Antinori resigned and when it was effective.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-emir ... SKCN1SI07J

Also of note, I was reliably informed that TA was lined up to become STC's replacement. However STC judged him (and several other candidates since) as not capable of replacing him. My guess is that there was either disagreement between TA and STC, or TA didn't necessarily see the reason to stick around at EK any longer with no chance of taking over the helm.

From that same article it mentioned TA had been contacted about becoming the AF/KLM CEO in 2016, which is around the same timeframe that he was being prepared to replace STC. So why he turned down AF/KLM makes complete sense.

xwb777

Mon May 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Emirates: talks ongoing for 40 B787s
Link: https://m.khaleejtimes.com/talks-ongoin ... s-emirates

dtw2hyd

Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
Also of note, I was reliably informed that TA was lined up to become STC's replacement. However STC judged him (and several other candidates since) as not capable of replacing him. My guess is that there was either disagreement between TA and STC, or TA didn't necessarily see the reason to stick around at EK any longer with no chance of taking over the helm.

From that same article it mentioned TA had been contacted about becoming the AF/KLM CEO in 2016, which is around the same timeframe that he was being prepared to replace STC. So why he turned down AF/KLM makes complete sense.

I think the entire Team STC needs to be replaced over the next few years and Tim shouldn't be deciding who should be his successor.

Mueller would have sped up the reforms, but he couldn't overcome Team STC's influence on the enterprise and owners. Titanic turns slowly, it appears to have missed the iceberg for now.

FrenchPotatoEye

Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Emirates: talks ongoing for 40 B787s
Link: https://m.khaleejtimes.com/talks-ongoin ... s-emirates

So, contrary to earlier comments, the 787s haven't been kicked out yet.

Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the link :)

andrej

Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 pm

And no bonuses for employees, due to the drop in net profits. So cost increase is faulted on employees? But dividends were paid...

https://www.thenational.ae/business/avi ... r-1.860887

lightsaber

Mon May 13, 2019 6:25 pm

First, the 787 order still in negotiations is a pleasant surprise.

andrej wrote:
And no bonuses for employees, due to the drop in net profits. So cost increase is faulted on employees? But dividends were paid...

https://www.thenational.ae/business/avi ... r-1.860887

Dubai is run off that dividend. I feel for employees, but if Dubai stops, so does EK.

Lightsaber

audian

Mon May 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Being a soccer fan and aviation enthusiast, I almost see an analogy between Emirate's STC & Machester United's SAF (& Arsenal's AW).

EK should find the right successor for a smooth transition unlike ManU. I know it's not fair to compare, but someone sticking to seat for so long can have adverse endings.

After all, All Good things must come to an end.

PW100

Tue May 14, 2019 3:46 pm

eta unknown wrote:

eta unknown wrote:
Read "-69%"

scbriml wrote:
VV wrote:

I do, but apparently you don't! :rotfl:

As for the personal insults... :sarcastic:

Emirates announces '-69% drop' in net profits

A -69% drop, equals a 69% increase.

I sometimes tend to think I can read, and understand basic arithmetic, but then again, this is Anet . . . :-)
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

WorldFlier

Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Aquila3 wrote:
emiratesdriver wrote:
Airbazar..

It has nothing to do with the A380.

Which is the exact opposite of what the pre-announcement management briefing detailed, moreover there has been an admission of sorts that the fleet mix has been wrong for some time and that the focus will continue to shift from additional capacity to improving yield.
Expect the acceleration of the A380 leaving EK service based on what I’ve seen today.

Tell me a reason why one should fly Emirates without the A380 (in Y).
Without them EK will be an airline like all the others, and quite an average one, I would say.

Tier 2 City to Tier 2 City with 1 stop instead of 2+ stops.

India to anywhere West or North.

Asia to Africa.

Anywhere in the Middle East, especially where other reputable carriers may not fly.

Pakistan. Do they have an airline?

Emirates isn't going anywhere, but they sure as hell won't have 80 A380s going forward...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos