A3801000
Topic Author

Solution for drones over airports?

Thu May 09, 2019 7:06 am

FRA was closed this morning, roughly between 7:30 am and 8:15 am because of a drone. https://www.spiegel.de/reise/deutschlan ... 66523.html

So far drones over airports seem to be just some kids/idiots/village morons but should we not be prepared against a real 'attack'?

I guess it would not take too much to send a few small teams with a bunch of drones to major airports and disrupt aviation badly at least for some days.
And I am not even talking about 'armed' drones, again would not be too difficult I guess to attach some explosives and hit a starting/landing aircraft with it.
There are probably many other 'options' how to use drones at or near airports in a criminal way.

What can be done to prevent all this?

c933103

Re: Solution for drones over airports?

Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 am

Regulate drones like automobiles on the road, with license requirement for both controllers and the machine itself, and also require some form of mechanism built-in for drone to identify itself wirelessly and also encode mechanism that force compilation with airport no fly zone within drones before in order to obtain license. Unlicensed drones are to be shot down immediately when discovered by mechanisms around airports. The drone identification mechanism should use some sort of encrypted keys that make it very difficult for users to replace drone firmware with a modified one.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

scbriml

Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 am

c933103 wrote:
Regulate drones like automobiles on the road, with license requirement for both controllers and the machine itself

Which does little to stop criminals stealing cars, using stolen or faked cars for illegal activities, or driving illegally while unlicensed and uninsured.

I'm not saying don't do it, just pointing out that if someone wants to use a drone for illegal activities, those regulations won't stop them.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

c933103

Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 am

scbriml wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Regulate drones like automobiles on the road, with license requirement for both controllers and the machine itself

Which does little to stop criminals stealing cars, using stolen or faked cars for illegal activities, or driving illegally while unlicensed and uninsured.

I'm not saying don't do it, just pointing out that if someone wants to use a drone for illegal activities, those regulations won't stop them.

Yeah that is why my proposal didn't stop there. The wireless identification scheme I proposed in my post are like licensing plate of cars, and in my post I have suggested that the those license plate should only work, using cryptographic verification methods that are also used on other electronic devices, when the software in the drone was one that are officially distributed by manufacturer/verified by government that have the feature of no-fly zone embedded to forcefully stop any drone with propose software from flying near the airport. And then drones without "license plate" or with invalid "license plate" due to using modified firmware can be treated like cars without license plate and be stopped (shot down) by enforcement immediately.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

Jomar777

Thu May 09, 2019 8:23 am

The solution is basically jamming equipment and counter measures. Law shold be simple - flew on Airport Restriction Zone = Drone shot down.

This is the only way to stop this.

I do not see really idiots/kids/morons flying them - I see at present covert environment activists behind all these drone activities and, crucially, nobody got caught yet.

A3801000
Topic Author

Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 am

Jomar777 wrote:
The solution is basically jamming equipment and counter measures. Law shold be simple - flew on Airport Restriction Zone = Drone shot down.

I do not see really idiots/kids/morons flying them - I see at present covert environment activists behind all these drone activities and, crucially, nobody got caught yet.

There are a million reasons to NOT shoot anywhere near a airport. :wink2:

KFLLCFII

Thu May 09, 2019 8:32 am

Shouldn't be too difficult. Retrofit a CIWS on to each of the existing LLWAS detector poles already strategically placed around the perimeter of most larger airports. Problem solved.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

A3801000
Topic Author

Thu May 09, 2019 8:46 am

KFLLCFII wrote:
Shouldn't be too difficult. Retrofit a CIWS on to each of the existing LLWAS detector poles already strategically placed around the perimeter of most larger airports. Problem solved.

Please see above.

You can not shoot bullets, projectiles, missiles etc. on or near any airport. You'ld kill too many neigbors.

A3801000
Topic Author

Thu May 09, 2019 9:01 am

Do add to the discussion and what we will be facing soon:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 97124.html

unmanned helicopters, 5 - 80 kg mainly to be used for Amazon deliveries

BUT

here is what that thing can do as well:

https://youtu.be/N_uuTkrQMLM

AleksW

Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am

1. Stop drone production completely, except for verified construction / map / goverment companies etc, under very strict rules and licensing. For most people is just a toy and there are already enough toys out there.
2. Introduce very high fines (including imprisonment) for violators.
Last edited by AleksW on Thu May 09, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

KFLLCFII

Thu May 09, 2019 10:31 am

A3801000 wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

Please see above.

You can not shoot bullets, projectiles, missiles etc. on or near any airport. You'ld kill too many neigbors.

In most instances, the airport was there first. Not to mention an additional benefit you stumbled upon: Solves the NIMBY problem too.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

scbriml

Thu May 09, 2019 10:38 am

AleksW wrote:
1. Stop drone production completely, except for verified construction / map / goverment companies etc, under very strict rules and licensing. For most people is just a toy and there are already enough toys out there.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut?

There are already far too many legitimate uses for drones, including leisure activities for lots of people.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

lowbank

Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 am

radar guided LASER,

as long as airspace is clear, just knock it out with a military style laser.

no projectile to hit anyone and drones are light by nature so not likely to hurt anyone even if it hits them on the way down.
Every days a school day.

WayexTDI

Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 pm

scbriml wrote:
AleksW wrote:

There are already far too many legitimate uses for drones, including leisure activities for lots of people.

But that's the issue: most (if not all) of those violators start with leisure purpose for having a drone.

As was said, unless you have a business purpose for it, might be a good idea to stop sales of drones for a while so the fad dies. We've have had enough of these issues, and it's just a matter a time until one of those toys take down a plane.

scbriml

Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
But that's the issue: most (if not all) of those violators start with leisure purpose for having a drone.

As was said, unless you have a business purpose for it, might be a good idea to stop sales of drones for a while so the fad dies. We've have had enough of these issues, and it's just a matter a time until one of those toys take down a plane.

IMHO, your 'solutions' are completely disproportionate to the risks.

There are literally millions of drones out in the wild, how many "of these issues" have there actually been? If someone wants to use a drone to deliberately disrupt an airport they will, regardless of any bans or laws in place. Ditto for someone who wants to use drones for even worse things. The horse has already bolted. The genie is already out of the bottle.

Elementalism

Thu May 09, 2019 1:14 pm

AleksW wrote:

The draconian measures people dream up over something that so far has been a rare event.

CarlosSi

Thu May 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Whatever the solution is, it needs to happen soon before there’s too many out there to regulate, like guns. I’m not saying limit how many exist, but if they’re going to be registered... need to do it soon.

Elementalism

Thu May 09, 2019 1:20 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Whatever the solution is, it needs to happen soon before there’s too many out there to regulate, like guns. I’m not saying limit how many exist, but if they’re going to be registered... need to do it soon.

Gun registration fails as well. Here is a novel approach. If somebody flies a drone near an airport deal with them with a fine, confiscation of the drone, and possible community service. If they continue ratchet up the consequences.

It also seems like some of these drone issues are dreamt up anyways. Has anybody ever figured out wtf happened at Gatwick for 2 days? Huge issue for 2 days, govt spends 30 million on some defense system, nobody could find a drone, and that was it.

KFTG

Thu May 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Here's an idea. Death penalty for operation of an unauthorized drone near an airfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjwgrr

Thu May 09, 2019 1:38 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:

Seriously? The Phalanx fires 20mm rounds. Can you imagine these raining down on the airport and adjacent neighborhoods?: :banghead:

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

SonaSounds

Thu May 09, 2019 3:34 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:

Most airports actually shoot guns on the airfield everyday...

https://theecologist.org/2014/aug/18/ai ... t-poisoned

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... dson-sully

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigatio ... 29891.html

tjwgrr

Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 pm

SonaSounds wrote:

Most likely with shotguns using bird shot. Bird shot is basically a shotgun shell that contains bb's- limited range and wouldn't do much harm if they fall on you from above. Much different than a whatever caliber bullet.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

SonaSounds

Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

Most likely with shotguns using bird shot. Bird shot is basically a shotgun shell that contains bb's- limited range and wouldn't do much harm if they fall on you from above. Much different than a whatever caliber bullet.

While that is the case sometimes it is not the most common. Airport armories have many non-lethal weapons such as air guns and "bang" guns that shoot a cartridge 30-40 yards that makes a loud bang sound to startle the birds. More often than not they use rifles though (typically .22s) when using lethal force than shotguns. While they do use lethal force on birds, they tend to shoot the rabbits, squirrels and other rodents on the airfield first. Take out the food and the birds won't come!

If you ever get a chance to check out the armory at an airport it is pretty cool to see the toys they have to deter wildlife.

TheOldDude

Thu May 09, 2019 5:06 pm

I'd be interested in everyone's threat models and the change to threat actors over time. Consider that since small hobbyist RC aircraft and rockets have been around for decades, a big change must have happened in the threat actor component. I suggest that solutions start there.

Bradin

Thu May 09, 2019 6:47 pm

Remember, most rules are designed to keep honest people honest. It does not address the dishonest segment of the population.

ORDfan101

Thu May 09, 2019 6:54 pm

I agree with the laser suggestion

Kilopond

Thu May 09, 2019 9:35 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
I agree with the laser suggestion

Almost everyone here does so, methinks. But scientists also propose other methods like jets of water, clue or kamikaze drones.

From that ;) tl;dr :lol: text it is worth reading the paragraph containing [CTRL+F] "Belgrade“:

https://www.fraunhofer.de/en/research/c ... rones.html

KFLLCFII

Thu May 09, 2019 10:21 pm

tjwgrr wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

Seriously? The Phalanx fires 20mm rounds. Can you imagine these raining down on the airport and adjacent neighborhoods?: :banghead:

You're right, those cartridges are probably ridiculously expensive a piece just to go "raining down"...But you have to consider that being able to kill two birds (the drone and the NIMBY problem) with one stone at least makes it more cost-effective.

cpd

Thu May 09, 2019 10:41 pm

scbriml wrote:
AleksW wrote:

How did we ever survive before drones existed? Life must have been so tough.

The solution might be to fire netting towards the drone, that’s what is being investigated now and tested. The drone is trapped.

SurlyBonds

Thu May 09, 2019 11:43 pm

Elementalism wrote:
Gun registration fails as well.

How? Countries with gun registration see fewer mass shootings than the US.

SurlyBonds

Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 pm

KFTG wrote:
Here's an idea. Death penalty for operation of an unauthorized drone near an airfield.

In the US, the Supreme Court has held the death penalty unconstitutional in the case of rape. This will never pass muster, and if you know anything about death penalty jurisprudence you would know this.

So suggestions like this are not helpful, and frankly, you're making them only for the shock value.

This is before we get to the fact that many countries have abolished the death penalty. Maybe it would work in China, who knows?

Jshank83

Fri May 10, 2019 3:22 am

So we ruled out anti aircraft missiles?

PanzerPowner

Fri May 10, 2019 3:56 am

I seriously cant tell if people here missed sarcasm on the CIWS post.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

TWA772LR

Fri May 10, 2019 4:01 am

tjwgrr wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:

A cop with 20 gauge birdshot will do :)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ELBOB

Fri May 10, 2019 4:58 am

Why all these appeals for government regulation to address the issue? And I suppose the police and courts would then be involved in prosecutions.

Airports and airlines are commercial operations. Let them find their own commercial solutions to the problem, stop subsidising them with public money.

Maybe their risk assessments will show that drone attacks are so rare that it's not worth taking action. Or that the losses from such events are less than the cost of countermeasures. But that's their decision to make.

scbriml

Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 am

cpd wrote:
How did we ever survive before drones existed? Life must have been so tough.

It was. Just like life before smartphones and sliced bread. :wink2:

PatrickZ80

Fri May 10, 2019 6:10 am

Most drones are still radio controlled, that means there's a radio frequency at which the drone and the controller communicate with each other. If you can track down that frequency and broadcast a strong signal on it that overrules the communication between the drone and the controller, the drone effectively becomes useless.

Of course this doesn't go for every drone, but it does for the majority of them. Specially cheap drones intended for home customers.

chunhimlai

Fri May 10, 2019 6:21 am

Anti Aircraft missile
Laser weapon system
Anti aircraft warfare

We have lots and lost of opinion

speedbird52

Fri May 10, 2019 6:37 am

ELBOB wrote:
Why all these appeals for government regulation to address the issue? And I suppose the police and courts would then be involved in prosecutions.

Airports and airlines are commercial operations. Let them find their own commercial solutions to the problem, stop subsidising them with public money.

Maybe their risk assessments will show that drone attacks are so rare that it's not worth taking action. Or that the losses from such events are less than the cost of countermeasures. But that's their decision to make.

Government regulation on private corporations exists to protect the consumer. Drones over airports very much affect the consumer more than the airline, particularly if an airplane goes down.

xmp125a

Fri May 10, 2019 6:50 am

scbriml wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Yes, but the proper certification process would enable much more stringent policing of the rogue ones. Now we are always asking if drone incursion was accidental (e.g. clumsy amateur photographer) or malevolent. If drones would have been properly registered (they are using public airspace, just as cars are using public roads, so there is a precedent) there would not be any question - just as when you see a car without license plates you KNOW that it should not be on the road and will be removed by the police, you could assume that a drone that does not obey airport's commands, is rogue and probably intended to harm.

And I am very much against government interference in private lives of people, but this has to be weighted against possibly catastrophic scenarios (or even very unpleasant ones, like at Gatwick, if I remember). Closure of large airport for 1 hour basically throws the flight reverberates worldwide in missed connections, etc...

And, finally, I think drones are only the beginning with multiple companies developing essentially no-flying-knowledge-needed personal transportation drones. What are we gonna do with them when people start using them to go to work? Imagine the chaos!

TSS

Fri May 10, 2019 7:41 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Most drones are still radio controlled, that means there's a radio frequency at which the drone and the controller communicate with each other. If you can track down that frequency and broadcast a strong signal on it that overrules the communication between the drone and the controller, the drone effectively becomes useless.

Of course this doesn't go for every drone, but it does for the majority of them. Specially cheap drones intended for home customers.

Sir, there is clearly no place in this discussion for a suggestion that is relatively easy to implement, effective, reasonably cheap, and has few if any unwanted side effects. I expect your next suggestion to conform to the existing tone of this thread and be either wholly unworkable in an urban/suburban airport environment, grossly ineffective in dealing with the problem at hand, ridiculously expensive, saddled with numerous unacceptable after-effects, or any combination thereof. :silly:
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

WayexTDI

Fri May 10, 2019 12:24 pm

ELBOB wrote:

Most airports are government-owned and/or -controlled.

kalvado

Fri May 10, 2019 12:34 pm

TSS wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Sir, there is clearly no place in this discussion for a suggestion that is relatively easy to implement, effective, reasonably cheap, and has few if any unwanted side effects. I expect your next suggestion to conform to the existing tone of this thread and be either wholly unworkable in an urban/suburban airport environment, grossly ineffective in dealing with the problem at hand, ridiculously expensive, saddled with numerous unacceptable after-effects, or any combination thereof. :silly:

Spread spectrum, frequency hopping, noise like modulation... Those are cheap and easy things these days, implemented in even primitive communication systems.
Besides, implementing flagperson-relayed clearances to airplanes will be fairly expensive.

KFTG

Fri May 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Death penalty for offenders is actually an adequate punishment, as flying the drones near airfields present significant risk to aircraft (and thus passengers), not to mention the people on the ground at risk as well should the worst occur.

c933103

Fri May 10, 2019 3:45 pm

ELBOB wrote:

Polices only enforce established rules and courts only made decision based on established rules. It is up to the government to make new rules and things like what I described in my post are obviously dependent on new rules from governing authority.
And if you say "stop subsidising them with public money" to handle this situation, then that mean it is acceptable to you to give up safety measures that cost more than compensation to passengers injured or killed in accidents caused by drones?

exFWAOONW

Fri May 10, 2019 6:54 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:

If you hit your target with your first shot, there are no bullets to fall on the neighbors. The only effective gun control is using both hands.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

Nomadd

Fri May 10, 2019 7:06 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

You'd have to jam GPS signals too since any good drone returns home on it's own if the control signal is lost.

Nomadd

Fri May 10, 2019 7:08 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:

If you hit your target with your first shot, there are no bullets to fall on the neighbors. The only effective gun control is using both hands.

Yeah, because a thin plastic drone shell is going to stop a bullet dead in the air.

andrej

Fri May 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Seabear

Fri May 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Fight fire with firepower: Image

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos