joeljack

Re: American Airlines Adds New Domestic/Mexico/Caribbean Routes

Fri May 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Wondering if OMA-MIA is going to return this winter? If flew December-April this year on a E-175. It has flown the past 2 winters, last winter, it wasn't added back until August which is late and there were some lost bookings for sure. Thought maybe it just wasn't on this list because it isn't new even though it isn't loaded right now? I guess we will see once it is all loaded.

Frontier14

Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
MIA Northwest Arkansas (XNA) E175 Dec. 18 Daily Year-round

And XNA-PHL was just announced in the last month or two. AA is really trying to tighten its (already strong) grip on XNA. Though, IMHO, MIA was a bit more geographically diverse than adding PHL what with the abundance of north/northeastern flying that AA already does from XNA.

Could be that AA is thinking F9 (having a hub in PHL) might be interested in running 2-3X week from XNA to PHL in the future.

Frontier 14

MAH4546

Fri May 10, 2019 3:53 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
sw733 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
MIA - XNA - interesting add for WalMart business.

More than half-a-million people in the Northwest Arkansas metro area, definitely more to it than Walmart.

Sure, though sincerely doubt that AA would care about that in the slightest, were it not for the Walmart related corporate traffic, considering that there's plenty of larger population bases in the southeast/south-central that they don't link to MIA

Pretty much every large poplulation base in the South has AA to Miami these days. Lexington and Asheville are the two most noticeably gaps.
a.

Dieuwer

Fri May 10, 2019 4:34 pm

I had hoped for VSA...

danipawa

Fri May 10, 2019 5:10 pm

What happened with JFK-SDQ/STI ...

sargester

Fri May 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2019/Winter-is-Coming-Again-American-Airlines-Adds-Flights-to-the-South/default.aspx

DFW Acapulco, Mexico (ACA) E175 Dec. 21 Tues./Sat. Winter/Summer
DFW Huatulco, Mexico (HUX) E175 Dec. 21 Tues./Sat. Winter/Summer
PHX Chihuahua, Mexico (CUU) CRJ700 Dec. 18 Daily Year-round
Caribbean
Hub Destination City Aircraft Flights begin Frequency Season
CLT Grenada (GND) A319 Dec. 21 Saturday Year-round
DFW St. Thomas, USVI (STT) 757 Dec. 21 Saturday Year-round
LGA Bermuda (BDA) 737 Dec. 21 Saturday Year-round
ORD St. Lucia (UVF) 737 Dec. 21 Saturday Winter
ORD St. Thomas, USVI (STT) A319 Dec. 21 Saturday Winter
Domestic
Hub Destination City Aircraft Flights begin Frequency Season
DFW St. George, Utah (SGU) CRJ200 Sept. 26 Daily Year-round
JFK Richmond, Virginia (RIC) E140 Nov. 21 3x daily Year-round
MIA Columbia, South Carolina (CAE) E145 Dec. 18 Daily Year-round
MIA Oklahoma City (OKC) E175 Dec. 18 Daily Year-round
ORD Charleston, West Virginia (CRW) CRJ200 Sep. 4 Daily Year-round
PHX Rapid City, South Dakota (RAP) CRJ200 Sep. 4 Daily Year-round
PHL Vail/Eagle, Colorado (EGE) 757 Dec. 21 Saturday Winter

Sooo... AA will have service from JFK-RIC but not JFK-DCA or PHL... nice.

Broken record time, AA suspended service on a few JFK routes due to runway construction and these routes will resume soon, DCA in August and PHL in November and both at higher frequencies than the current operation.

sargester

Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 pm

miaami wrote:
Great to see the new additions from MIA. MIA-XNA was operated by AA several years ago and was dropped along with MIA-DAY. Interesting that there was no mention of the additions from last season, MIA-BUF/PVD/GRR/HOU/RSW/OMA. None of those flights are available on AA.com yet so not sure if they will be running this winter or not.

These routes go on sale i want to say in the middle of the summer, around late July when they went on sale last year

LAX772LR

Sat May 11, 2019 3:47 am

MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
sw733 wrote:
More than half-a-million people in the Northwest Arkansas metro area, definitely more to it than Walmart.

Sure, though sincerely doubt that AA would care about that in the slightest, were it not for the Walmart related corporate traffic, considering that there's plenty of larger population bases in the southeast/south-central that they don't link to MIA

Pretty much every large poplulation base in the South has AA to Miami these days. Lexington and Asheville are the two most noticeably gaps.

Indeed many do, but that wasn't the point of contention:
which is that there's still plenty of metros/CSAs in the region, with more than the 500K quoted above, where AA doesn't serve from that gateway.

XNA is certainly nothing special nor attractive to an airline in that regard.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SurfandSnow

Sat May 11, 2019 8:34 am

Ishrion wrote:
DFW Acapulco, Mexico (ACA) E175 Dec. 21 Tues./Sat. Winter/Summer

Have things in Acapulco changed for the better recently? IIRC this once glamorous and extremely popular tourist destination had become one of the most deadly cities in the world in recent years...

Ishrion wrote:
DFW Huatulco, Mexico (HUX) E175 Dec. 21 Tues./Sat. Winter/Summer

Interesting that AA sees an opportunity here. UA cut IAH-HUX last year, leaving SY's MSP-HUX as the only U.S. carrier service to this relatively obscure market...

Ishrion wrote:

Wow! More good news for the PHX hub. I'm pleasantly surprised to see it doing so well in the post-merger network.

Ishrion wrote:
CLT Grenada (GND) A319 Dec. 21 Saturday Year-round

NK may be coming to CLT... But niche routes like these are sure to keep the operation a gold mine for AA...

Ishrion wrote:
DFW St. Thomas, USVI (STT) 757 Dec. 21 Saturday Year-round

Wonderful to see this investment in an island that is still struggling to recover from catastrophic hurricanes...

Ishrion wrote:
LGA Bermuda (BDA) 737 Dec. 21 Saturday Year-round

After LGA-NAS and then LGA-AUA were resumed, I was wondering when we might see this route come back...

Ishrion wrote:
ORD St. Lucia (UVF) 737 Dec. 21 Saturday Winter

Folks in Chicagoland no doubt appreciate the convenience of nonstop service like this. AA has certainly come a long way from the days where SJU was the only Caribbean destination served nonstop from AA's ORD hub...

Ishrion wrote:
ORD St. Thomas, USVI (STT) A319 Dec. 21 Saturday Winter

Folks in Chicagoland no doubt appreciate the convenience of nonstop service like this. Also, it's wonderful to see this investment in an island that is still struggling to recover from recent hurricane damage...

Ishrion wrote:
DFW St. George, Utah (SGU) CRJ200 Sept. 26 Daily Year-round

Quite a nice boost of service/connectivity for SGU right when the airport reopens..

Ishrion wrote:
JFK Richmond, Virginia (RIC) E140 Nov. 21 3x daily Year-round

A great way to squat on JFK slots?

Ishrion wrote:

I was wondering when AA would give this route another try!

Ishrion wrote:
MIA Columbia, South Carolina (CAE) E145 Dec. 18 Daily Year-round

It's been years since CAE has had nonstop service to South Florida, right? Wonderful news for South Carolina.

Ishrion wrote:
MIA Oklahoma City (OKC) E175 Dec. 18 Daily Year-round

I'm surprised it has taken AA this long to add this route...

Ishrion wrote:
ORD Charleston, West Virginia (CRW) CRJ200 Sep. 4 Daily Year-round

Finally some good news for CRW. Hopefully it does better this time around!

Ishrion wrote:
PHX Rapid City, South Dakota (RAP) CRJ200 Sep. 4 Daily Year-round

RAP seems to be quite the popular destination these days...

Ishrion wrote:
PHL Vail/Eagle, Colorado (EGE) 757 Dec. 21 Saturday Winter

I was just talking about the possibility of AA trying service to EGE from CLT/PHL. US lasted longer on the CLT-EGE route than PHL-EGE, so it's interesting to see PHL come back first...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

jbpdx

Sat May 11, 2019 8:51 am

Have things in Acapulco changed for the better recently? IIRC this once glamorous and extremely popular tourist destination had become one of the most deadly cities in the world in recent years...

It’s very unsafe. Hotels are empty. They have a big problem with gangs running protection rackets. Tourists get caught in the crossfire. No. 2 murder capital in the world. In 2018 only 739,120 passengers traveled through the airport.

ckfred

Sat May 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Interesting about PHL-EGE. AA used to fly nothing but 757s from ORD to the ski resorts. But for the last few years, it's been A319s as AA took delivery of Airbus aircraft and retired 757s. I think it was Tom Horton who said that PMAA ordered the A319, in part, because of its performance out of high-altitude airports in Latin America and the ski resorts.

USAirALB

Sat May 11, 2019 1:25 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I was just talking about the possibility of AA trying service to EGE from CLT/PHL. US lasted longer on the CLT-EGE route than PHL-EGE, so it's interesting to see PHL come back first...

I find the launch of PHL-EGE interesting, given that AA opted to start MTJ from CLT over PHL. That said, I can’t speak of the performance of CLT-MTJ as it still isn’t in the schedules for next season yet so I’m not sure if it is returning.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Gregd75

Sat May 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Acapulco has a completely new airport terminal, cruise lines have returned to the ports and infrastructure projects, building bridges and the likes are underway. I’ve been dozens of times in the last few years and it’s a fine place.

Stay in the hotel resorts in the evening, walk around town in the mornings. Enjoy great views and food at restaurants like Zibu and awesome breakfasts on the pier at 100% natural.

This is a great add by American Airlines

ozark1

Sat May 11, 2019 2:28 pm

sw733 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
sw733 wrote:

But would Northwest Arkansas be what it is today if Walmart was headquartered elsewhere? I highly doubt it...

Of course not, the area would be hit pretty hard if Walmart left...but my point, which was echoed elsewhere too, is that while Walmart is a major part of the reason, not all air travel decisions are made because of Walmart. There's a lot of personal travel and non-Walmart business travel that comes out of a region of 500k+ people (with a pretty decent median household income).

The XNA area is booming. Walmart put it on the map, but it is a very cool place to visit. Downtown Bentonville is charming, the mountain drive over to fantastic Eureka Springs is a blast, and the Missouri border is less than an hour by car. The Crystal Bridges Museum cannot be missed. They already have a rush hour traffic jam so I foresee lots of growth. Great little airport IMHO

evank516

Sat May 11, 2019 6:17 pm

I have a feeling LGA-DAB may end up running daily and year round after the season ends.

9w748capt

Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 pm

jbpdx wrote:

It’s very unsafe. Hotels are empty. They have a big problem with gangs running protection rackets. Tourists get caught in the crossfire. No. 2 murder capital in the world. In 2018 only 739,120 passengers traveled through the airport.

Then why on earth would AA start service there? Are they targeting the gang racketeers? Even at 2x/week it makes no sense that AA would start service if the situation there was that dire.

WingsOfLove

Sat May 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Ishrion wrote:
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2019/Winter-is-Coming-Again-American-Airlines-Adds-Flights-to-the-South/default.aspx

DFW flights must perform very well

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 7:44 pm

9w748capt wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Then why on earth would AA start service there? Are they targeting the gang racketeers? Even at 2x/week it makes no sense that AA would start service if the situation there was that dire.

Earlier I posted about Allegiant applying for Mexico service and stating DFW-Acapulco as a possible route. I'm guessing this is simply AA defending DFW again.

millionsofmiles

Sun May 12, 2019 2:02 am

jbpdx wrote:

This saddens me. I remember working DC-10 turns out of DFW in the 1980s...full...and also remember laying over at the beautiful beachfront hotel formerly owned by American Airlines.

This short documentary about Acapulco is pretty damn grim...

https://youtu.be/sxwuKUG47eo

AWACSooner

Sun May 12, 2019 2:18 am

9w748capt wrote:
Wow ... OKC-MIA!!!!! That is a great addition for us OKCers!

It’s about bleeping time!! Always hated the double connection to hit the eastern Caribbean destinations

jbpdx

Sun May 12, 2019 4:27 am

9w748capt wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Very little traffic even from Mexico City. Many of the flights are ATRs and Embraers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... bc7d6c7c62

MGC1191

Sun May 12, 2019 4:55 am

Its nice when every now and then Father Parker acknowledges CLT exists. It brings warmth to our otherwise cold hearts.

Cointrin330

Sun May 12, 2019 11:56 am

USAirALB wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

I find the launch of PHL-EGE interesting, given that AA opted to start MTJ from CLT over PHL. That said, I can’t speak of the performance of CLT-MTJ as it still isn’t in the schedules for next season yet so I’m not sure if it is returning.

AA also operates JFK-EGE seasonally, and on a 757. Fleet commonality probably key here on a route with frequent irregular ops. EGE airport closes easily due to snow and visibility problems. I doubt PMAA took the A319's performance into consideration related to ski resorts when deciding to purchase the plane.

Aliqiout

Sun May 12, 2019 2:08 pm

WingsOfLove wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

DFW flights must perform very well

There is a moderately sized business community there and the only other options for most of the world is transiting through MEX or driving to ELP.

BML87

Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 am

9w748capt wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Doesn't United already fly to Acapulco?

9w748capt

Mon May 13, 2019 12:16 am

AWACSooner wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

It’s about bleeping time!! Always hated the double connection to hit the eastern Caribbean destinations

We've largely avoided the Caribbean for vacations but the MIA flight will definitely open up many more options!

OKCDCA

Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 am

9w748capt wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

We've largely avoided the Caribbean for vacations but the MIA flight will definitely open up many more options!

It’s great to see the attention OKC has been getting from AA lately. Just another sign that the city continues to grow. The biggest sign to me that the growth is maintaining itself is OKC has (yet) to lose frequency to any of the other AA hubs. I’m not sure if AA is the dominant carrier in OKC because of WN’s loyal following in town but they’re definitely putting their best foot forward. I’ll be interested to see if WN matches this with a FLL flight after AA matched WN’s DCA add.

jfklganyc

Mon May 13, 2019 1:23 am

evank516 wrote:
I have a feeling LGA-DAB may end up running daily and year round after the season ends.

It is doing well thus far...hopefully
your are right

B6 cultivated a market...hopefully someone will pick it up with the right sized jet

b777erj145

Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 am

9w748capt wrote:
b777erj145 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

True OKC-MIA would do great. Do we PDEW on the route?

I wonder what timings will be? Early AM out of OKC would be better for Caribbean connections, but later would be better for Europe/South America. I don't think there are too many Brazilians or Argentines in OKC though so I'm guessing this is more targeted towards O&D or Caribbean traffic. And OKC is one stop from most places in Europe these days so AA doesn't need MIA for that.

Its 5:30 AM from OKC and 9:30 pm from MIA

OB1504

Wed May 15, 2019 5:18 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

AA also operates JFK-EGE seasonally, and on a 757. Fleet commonality probably key here on a route with frequent irregular ops. EGE airport closes easily due to snow and visibility problems. I doubt PMAA took the A319's performance into consideration related to ski resorts when deciding to purchase the plane.

They absolutely did. AA specifically ordered the high powered -115 version for destinations that required maximum performance, generally in Latin America but also including EGE.

LovePrunesAnet

Wed May 15, 2019 3:25 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:

This is an AA route that has been tried and failed in the past. Been at least 3-4 years. Maybe this time they'll be successful.

MAH4546

Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

This is an AA route that has been tried and failed in the past. Been at least 3-4 years. Maybe this time they'll be successful.

More like 12 years.
a.

LovePrunesAnet

Wed May 15, 2019 9:56 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

More like 12 years.

haha time flies. I remember a longgggg time ago but has it really been that far back? Wow. They also tried XNA to DCA and RDU along with XNA to MIA, and I think it was all about the same time. Definitely post AA-RDU-hub and post JI-RDU-hub, but pre DL-RDU-focus city. None of those XNA flights lasted. The nw arkansas area has changed since then. If it is going to work this time, these seem to be more likely to work than any prospect for Southwest starting there. It's still not much of a destination market, and the locals there, despite growing population numbers, aren't the ones traveling as much as people flying in and right back out for business trips, hence the general M-F nature of their flights.

But hey, 12 years ago is still at least 3-4 years ago! :P Thanks for being more specific than I could be :thumbsup:

WorldFlier

Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
sw733 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

But would Northwest Arkansas be what it is today if Walmart was headquartered elsewhere? I highly doubt it...

Don't forget Tyson Foods and JB Hunt as well as University of Arkansas!

MAH4546

Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

More like 12 years.

haha time flies. I remember a longgggg time ago but has it really been that far back? Wow. They also tried XNA to DCA and RDU along with XNA to MIA, and I think it was all about the same time. Definitely post AA-RDU-hub and post JI-RDU-hub, but pre DL-RDU-focus city. None of those XNA flights lasted. The nw arkansas area has changed since then. If it is going to work this time, these seem to be more likely to work than any prospect for Southwest starting there. It's still not much of a destination market, and the locals there, despite growing population numbers, aren't the ones traveling as much as people flying in and right back out for business trips, hence the general M-F nature of their flights.

But hey, 12 years ago is still at least 3-4 years ago! :P Thanks for being more specific than I could be :thumbsup:

AA discontinued a handful of routes from MIA in the 2008-2009 time frame, and now with XNA back the only one that has not resumed is Dayton, Ohio.
a.

spinkid

Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 pm

sw733 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
sw733 wrote:

Of course not, the area would be hit pretty hard if Walmart left...but my point, which was echoed elsewhere too, is that while Walmart is a major part of the reason, not all air travel decisions are made because of Walmart. There's a lot of personal travel and non-Walmart business travel that comes out of a region of 500k+ people (with a pretty decent median household income).

When you have a single or several large employers in an area you also need all kinds of healthcare workers, teachers, police, FD, etc, etc. Now you have a great labor pool, other corporations will come along as well. That's why so many cities wanted Amazon to build their HQ there

evank516

Thu May 16, 2019 1:14 am

jfklganyc wrote:
evank516 wrote:

It is doing well thus far...hopefully
your are right

B6 cultivated a market...hopefully someone will pick it up with the right sized jet

Indeed they did. They proved that there is enough to fill a plane, maybe not a plane that works for them, but one that works for someone. There is enough demand to justify an aircraft roughly the size of a 717/A220, so anything up to that size should fill up on a daily basis.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu May 16, 2019 3:20 am

jbpdx wrote:

Totally agree it's very unsafe. Crazy how one of the world top travel destinations has fallen so far. Luxury hotels book at 1/10th of what they use to get and still struggle to fill rooms. I bet AA is getting some tourist board money to fly that they wouldn't just do that in 2019. Acapulco has fallen hard.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos