SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 pm

I was going through Frank Schaefer's gallery and found that picture from 1993. Which airline is it at the AA terminal? Btw, how things have changed since at LAX, particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...

 
IWMBH
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Thu May 09, 2019 8:51 pm

 
User avatar
LAXdenizen
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 pm

Avianca?
 
IWMBH
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 pm

LAXdenizen wrote:
Avianca?


Avianca had more white on the top of the aircraft. When I am almost certain it is UltraAir, a airline I can't find much information about https://www.airliners.net/photo/UltrAir ... 231/192351
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23735
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Indeed Ultra Air.

Back in the day AA ground handled many random airlines at LAX - PrideAir, Air 1, McClain, etc.

Avianca historically was in T-2 with Pan Am and later Northwest handling them
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3894
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
I was going through Frank Schaefer's gallery and found that picture from 1993. Which airline is it at the AA terminal? Btw, how things have changed since at LAX, particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...


Isn't that Avianca's old livery?
 
cpd
Posts: 5992
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Thu May 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Ultra Air, like N727VA?

Edit: others got in before me. I found it by Google image search “727 LAX 1993”.
 
aircountry
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 3:27 am

Ùltra Air used to fly 727-200 between Houston IAH to california and florida. It didnt last long until went out of business. Houston was home based and a hub. Here is the picture from the past.
 
User avatar
drerx7
Posts: 4380
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 3:50 am

It was a luxury outfit...all C class IIRC. Who was the all A300 operator that flew from IAH to LGB?
HOUSTON, TEXAS
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 am

aircountry wrote:
Ùltra Air used to fly 727-200 between Houston IAH to california and florida. It didnt last long until went out of business. Houston was home based and a hub. Here is the picture from the past.


Based on what my eyes see, I think this nailed it. Picture match very well to me
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
aircountry
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 5:14 am

drerx7 wrote:
It was a luxury outfit...all C class IIRC. Who was the all A300 operator that flew from IAH to LGB?


I think you talking about Presidental Air A300. Ultra Air never have A300 just only 727-200.

Here is the picture....
 
aircountry
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 am

Here is more.....
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 6:46 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...


Northwest, TWA, and what is the third? I don’t recognise the livery.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Isn't that Avianca's old livery?





VirginFlyer wrote:
Northwest, TWA, and what is the third? I don’t recognise the livery.

V/F


VASP
 
Guillaume787
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:02 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
I was going through Frank Schaefer's gallery and found that picture from 1993. Which airline is it at the AA terminal? Btw, how things have changed since at LAX, particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...



Also, I notice this silver 747-400 with a golden stripe in its tail next to ANA's 747. What airline is this?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 7:00 am

Guillaume787 wrote:
Also, I notice this silver 747-400 with a golden stripe in its tail next to ANA's 747. What airline is this?


Asiana
 
SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 7:12 am

IWMBH wrote:
When I am almost certain it is UltraAir, a airline I can't find much information about


Apparently that was their fleet: http://www.aeromoe.com/fleets/ultrair.html

"UltraAir was a B727 operator based in IAH with their aircraft in all Business
Class Leather seats. I know they flew to LAX in their short life and I believe
they only lasted a few months."


viewtopic.php?t=207585

UltrAir to Cease Flights Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJt5FO5Fvwo
 
User avatar
United_fan
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:11 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 pm

I was thinking Emery Worldwide,but they were freighters.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 3:14 pm

That's a great pic. About 1/2 km behind the TW L10 is what appears to be a DC-8.
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4426
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
That's a great pic.


I agree, it's always a pleasure to look at pictures of US airports from the past. LAX is a great place for spotting widebodies, as JFK and other major US airports are, especially during the 80s and 90s. You can also spot a Northwest DC-10, that one jumps into your eye with its red tail, coming from either DTW or MSP one of the two.
Ben Soriano
 
Metopower
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:00 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 6:27 pm

I believe it might be Braniff. Multi colored fleet in the late 70’s green red and blue as I remember. Probably one of the inter changes before de regulation
 
klm617
Posts: 4379
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...


Northwest, TWA, and what is the third? I don’t recognise the livery.

V/F


It's a VASP DC10
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
mga707
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 am

Metopower wrote:
I believe it might be Braniff. Multi colored fleet in the late 70’s green red and blue as I remember. Probably one of the inter changes before de regulation


Please at least READ the original post before posting a response! Photo is from 1993. And it has already been correctly answered that the 727 in question belonged to Ultrair.
 
questions
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 am

Thanks for sharing this pic!

It’s interesting that there are no aircraft at T3! Who shared T3 with TW?

In this pic from 2003, T5 has no aircraft!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/457156/L

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a terminal at LAX without an aircraft.

Is this due to use of flight banks? Or has the growth at LAX the past 15 and 25 years been phenomenal? Or both?
 
anshabhi
Posts: 2109
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 am

The a/c that carries people to Area 51?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am

anshabhi wrote:
The a/c that carries people to Area 51?


No, that would be an all-white with a red line 737 and EG & G flies out of Las Vegas, not Los Angeles.
 
Guillaume787
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:02 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 10:46 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Guillaume787 wrote:
Also, I notice this silver 747-400 with a golden stripe in its tail next to ANA's 747. What airline is this?


Asiana


Thank you!
 
afcjets
Posts: 2853
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 am

questions wrote:
Thanks for sharing this pic!

It’s interesting that there are no aircraft at T3! Who shared T3 with TW?

In this pic from 2003, T5 has no aircraft!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/457156/L

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a terminal at LAX without an aircraft.

Is this due to use of flight banks? Or has the growth at LAX the past 15 and 25 years been phenomenal? Or both?


Piedmont used TWA’s gates in T3 up until their merger with US in 1989.

LAX has always had significantly fewer late afternoon and early evening departures since many flights are bound for the eastern half of the US where they would arrive too late with the time change.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 am

Dominion301 wrote:
That's a great pic. About 1/2 km behind the TW L10 is what appears to be a DC-8.

I don’t know why but I could imagine it’s a ICX DC-8-62:
 
questions
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm

It’s awesome to see all the 747’s at the TBIT gates!

The new TBIT is nice. What were the old north and south concourses (in OP’s pic) like? Narrow corridors with gates?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 pm

klm617 wrote:
It's a VASP DC10


I'd rather say MD-11.

questions wrote:
The new TBIT is nice. What were the old north and south concourses (in OP’s pic) like? Narrow corridors with gates?


The corridor with windows all along, if I remember correctly, was next to the taxiway. You can see its width next to NH's 747 nose. Basically on the concourses you can see three size of building. The larger are boarding rooms, the smaller is the corridor and in between must be where the lavatories, bars and such were located.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos