Page 1 of 1

Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:37 pm
by SpaceshipDC10
I was going through Frank Schaefer's gallery and found that picture from 1993. Which airline is it at the AA terminal? Btw, how things have changed since at LAX, particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...


Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:51 pm
by IWMBH

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 pm
by LAXdenizen
Avianca?

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 pm
by IWMBH
LAXdenizen wrote:
Avianca?


Avianca had more white on the top of the aircraft. When I am almost certain it is UltraAir, a airline I can't find much information about https://www.airliners.net/photo/UltrAir ... 231/192351

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 pm
by LAXintl
Indeed Ultra Air.

Back in the day AA ground handled many random airlines at LAX - PrideAir, Air 1, McClain, etc.

Avianca historically was in T-2 with Pan Am and later Northwest handling them

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 pm
by strfyr51
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
I was going through Frank Schaefer's gallery and found that picture from 1993. Which airline is it at the AA terminal? Btw, how things have changed since at LAX, particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...


Isn't that Avianca's old livery?

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:09 pm
by cpd
Ultra Air, like N727VA?

Edit: others got in before me. I found it by Google image search “727 LAX 1993”.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:27 am
by aircountry
Ùltra Air used to fly 727-200 between Houston IAH to california and florida. It didnt last long until went out of business. Houston was home based and a hub. Here is the picture from the past.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:50 am
by drerx7
It was a luxury outfit...all C class IIRC. Who was the all A300 operator that flew from IAH to LGB?

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 am
by T18
aircountry wrote:
Ùltra Air used to fly 727-200 between Houston IAH to california and florida. It didnt last long until went out of business. Houston was home based and a hub. Here is the picture from the past.


Based on what my eyes see, I think this nailed it. Picture match very well to me

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:14 am
by aircountry
drerx7 wrote:
It was a luxury outfit...all C class IIRC. Who was the all A300 operator that flew from IAH to LGB?


I think you talking about Presidental Air A300. Ultra Air never have A300 just only 727-200.

Here is the picture....

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 am
by aircountry
Here is more.....

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:46 am
by VirginFlyer
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...


Northwest, TWA, and what is the third? I don’t recognise the livery.

V/F

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 am
by SpaceshipDC10
strfyr51 wrote:
Isn't that Avianca's old livery?





VirginFlyer wrote:
Northwest, TWA, and what is the third? I don’t recognise the livery.

V/F


VASP

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:56 am
by Guillaume787
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
I was going through Frank Schaefer's gallery and found that picture from 1993. Which airline is it at the AA terminal? Btw, how things have changed since at LAX, particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...



Also, I notice this silver 747-400 with a golden stripe in its tail next to ANA's 747. What airline is this?

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:00 am
by SpaceshipDC10
Guillaume787 wrote:
Also, I notice this silver 747-400 with a golden stripe in its tail next to ANA's 747. What airline is this?


Asiana

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:12 am
by SpaceshipDC10
IWMBH wrote:
When I am almost certain it is UltraAir, a airline I can't find much information about


Apparently that was their fleet: http://www.aeromoe.com/fleets/ultrair.html

"UltraAir was a B727 operator based in IAH with their aircraft in all Business
Class Leather seats. I know they flew to LAX in their short life and I believe
they only lasted a few months."


viewtopic.php?t=207585

UltrAir to Cease Flights Sunday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJt5FO5Fvwo

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:26 pm
by United_fan
I was thinking Emery Worldwide,but they were freighters.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:14 pm
by Dominion301
That's a great pic. About 1/2 km behind the TW L10 is what appears to be a DC-8.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:27 pm
by American 767
Dominion301 wrote:
That's a great pic.


I agree, it's always a pleasure to look at pictures of US airports from the past. LAX is a great place for spotting widebodies, as JFK and other major US airports are, especially during the 80s and 90s. You can also spot a Northwest DC-10, that one jumps into your eye with its red tail, coming from either DTW or MSP one of the two.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:27 pm
by Metopower
I believe it might be Braniff. Multi colored fleet in the late 70’s green red and blue as I remember. Probably one of the inter changes before de regulation

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 pm
by klm617
VirginFlyer wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
particularly the three airlines on the right upper corner that no longer exist since years...


Northwest, TWA, and what is the third? I don’t recognise the livery.

V/F


It's a VASP DC10

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 am
by mga707
Metopower wrote:
I believe it might be Braniff. Multi colored fleet in the late 70’s green red and blue as I remember. Probably one of the inter changes before de regulation


Please at least READ the original post before posting a response! Photo is from 1993. And it has already been correctly answered that the 727 in question belonged to Ultrair.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 am
by questions
Thanks for sharing this pic!

It’s interesting that there are no aircraft at T3! Who shared T3 with TW?

In this pic from 2003, T5 has no aircraft!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/457156/L

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a terminal at LAX without an aircraft.

Is this due to use of flight banks? Or has the growth at LAX the past 15 and 25 years been phenomenal? Or both?

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 am
by anshabhi
The a/c that carries people to Area 51?

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am
by SpaceshipDC10
anshabhi wrote:
The a/c that carries people to Area 51?


No, that would be an all-white with a red line 737 and EG & G flies out of Las Vegas, not Los Angeles.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:46 am
by Guillaume787
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Guillaume787 wrote:
Also, I notice this silver 747-400 with a golden stripe in its tail next to ANA's 747. What airline is this?


Asiana


Thank you!

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 am
by afcjets
questions wrote:
Thanks for sharing this pic!

It’s interesting that there are no aircraft at T3! Who shared T3 with TW?

In this pic from 2003, T5 has no aircraft!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/457156/L

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a terminal at LAX without an aircraft.

Is this due to use of flight banks? Or has the growth at LAX the past 15 and 25 years been phenomenal? Or both?


Piedmont used TWA’s gates in T3 up until their merger with US in 1989.

LAX has always had significantly fewer late afternoon and early evening departures since many flights are bound for the eastern half of the US where they would arrive too late with the time change.

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 am
by N14AZ
Dominion301 wrote:
That's a great pic. About 1/2 km behind the TW L10 is what appears to be a DC-8.

I don’t know why but I could imagine it’s a ICX DC-8-62:

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm
by questions
It’s awesome to see all the 747’s at the TBIT gates!

The new TBIT is nice. What were the old north and south concourses (in OP’s pic) like? Narrow corridors with gates?

Re: Red & white B727 at LAX - which airline?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 pm
by SpaceshipDC10
klm617 wrote:
It's a VASP DC10


I'd rather say MD-11.

questions wrote:
The new TBIT is nice. What were the old north and south concourses (in OP’s pic) like? Narrow corridors with gates?


The corridor with windows all along, if I remember correctly, was next to the taxiway. You can see its width next to NH's 747 nose. Basically on the concourses you can see three size of building. The larger are boarding rooms, the smaller is the corridor and in between must be where the lavatories, bars and such were located.