Geminijets101
Topic Author

When will PDX-MIA/FLL happen?

Fri May 10, 2019 12:04 pm

It's astounding this has not happened. Portland is a large city compared to some cities MIA/FLL has destinations to. I could see AS doing PDX-FLL or even Sun Country with PDX-MIA.
Cíao

YYZORD

Re: When will PDX-MIA/FLL happen?

Fri May 10, 2019 12:05 pm

YVR is more likely to get FLL service before PDX.

Geminijets101 wrote:
It's astounding this has not happened. Portland is a large city compared to some cities MIA/FLL has destinations to. I could see AS doing PDX-FLL or even Sun Country with PDX-MIA.

jplatts

Fri May 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:

B6 adding PDX-FLL nonstop service or AA adding PDX-MIA nonstop service are other possibilities.

MIflyer12

Fri May 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:
Portland is a large city compared to some cities MIA/FLL has destinations to.

That should tell you something about the inadequacy of city size/metro size as the sole criterion for whether an airport pair gets service. (Hint: Florida and the Caribbean may not be the first places PDXers think of for a beach vacation. How many flights per week PDX-Hawaii?)

gatibosgru

Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm

YYZORD wrote:

Geminijets101 wrote:

YVR now has FLL service.

Vancouver – Fort Lauderdale eff 20DEC19 2 weekly A321neo LR
TS622 YVR0830 – 1710FLL 32Q 5
TS422 YVR0830 – 1710FLL 32Q 7

TS623 FLL1820 – 2205YVR 32Q 5
TS423 FLL1820 – 2205YVR 32Q 7

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... es-in-w19/
@DadCelo

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm

YYZORD wrote:

Geminijets101 wrote:

YVR-FLL to start in December.

https://centreforaviation.com/news/air- ... 019-902542

Tokushima

Fri May 10, 2019 12:53 pm

[quote="YYZORD"]YVR is more likely to get FLL service before PDX.

Air Transat is going to start YVR FLL

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1422183

csweet

Fri May 10, 2019 12:55 pm

PDX can't maintain daily hub routes, why would an airline gamble with one of these routes?

tphuang

Fri May 10, 2019 1:01 pm

i think it happens a couple of years after B6 receives its first A220.

williaminsd

Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 pm

tphuang wrote:

Winner!

lightsaber

Fri May 10, 2019 1:48 pm

williaminsd wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Winner!

An A220 is really the only aircraft with the right cost and the range. Since I consider DL unlikely, we'll have to wait. Perhaps a Red-eye?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

tphuang

Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 pm

lightsaber wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Winner!

An A220 is really the only aircraft with the right cost and the range. Since I consider DL unlikely, we'll have to wait. Perhaps a Red-eye?

Lightsaber

Yes, JetBlue has deep obsession with doing red-eyes to maximize fleet utilization. E90s are just so limited. I would also expect them to move FLL-SAN to A220, which is another thin market that they have trouble filling the seats on A320. Anyone have the PDEW on MIA/FLL-PDX?

lightsaber

Fri May 10, 2019 2:34 pm

tphuang wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
Winner!

Lightsaber

Yes, JetBlue has deep obsession with doing red-eyes to maximize fleet utilization. E90s are just so limited. I would also expect them to move FLL-SAN to A220, which is another thin market that they have trouble filling the seats on A320. Anyone have the PDEW on MIA/FLL-PDX?

I expect quite a redistribution once the E-190s are replaced by A220s. The greater range will allow more missions, including redeyes.

I personally love redeyes. My daughter hates them, so there goes saving a vacation day. ;)

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

hiflyeras

Fri May 10, 2019 2:50 pm

PDX thinks it should have all the same point to point as SEA. This silliness has existed for years. Both DL and AS have tried plenty of routes out of PDX over the years that couldn't sustain themselves. If B6 can make it work with a A220 then great....or NK with their sizeable FLL hub you'd think might pull it off but hasn't tried. Maybe the numbers just don't pencil out.

spinotter

Fri May 10, 2019 2:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:
Portland is a large city compared to some cities MIA/FLL has destinations to.

That should tell you something about the inadequacy of city size/metro size as the sole criterion for whether an airport pair gets service. (Hint: Florida and the Caribbean may not be the first places PDXers think of for a beach vacation. How many flights per week PDX-Hawaii?)

Yes, but obviously distance factors into it as well. I lived in Portland and obviously the travels of Oregonians are more to CA, HI, and Mexico than is the case with people on the East Coast to FL. Who would go to Florida when you can go to Hawai'i?

B752OS

Fri May 10, 2019 2:57 pm

I am surprised AA cannot run MIA-SEA at least twice daily, year round. Right now it's 1 x daily year round and a seasonal second daily flight. I would think the market it there for them to run MIA-SEA 3 x daily year round. It is also surprising they haven't started MIA-PDX either. Is it the length that is preventing them?

rph99

Fri May 10, 2019 3:10 pm

F9 could probably successfully run a red eye to either...though MCO would probably be the first add.

Brickell305

Fri May 10, 2019 3:26 pm

The problem with a route like PDX-MIA/FLL is that there are a ton of connecting options between the two. As such, any nonstop flight would have to compete with those numerous connecting options. And unlike the other West Coast cities that MIA/FLL have nonstop flights to (LAX, SFO, LAS, SJC, SEA, etc.) there may simply not be enough traffic in both directions (people from or connecting through MIA/FLL destined for PDX/people from PDX destined to or connecting through MIA/FLL) to make it worthwhile.

BoeingGuy

Fri May 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
The problem with a route like PDX-MIA/FLL is that there are a ton of connecting options between the two. As such, any nonstop flight would have to compete with those numerous connecting options. And unlike the other West Coast cities that MIA/FLL have nonstop flights to (LAX, SFO, LAS, SJC, SEA, etc.) there may simply not be enough traffic in both directions (people from or connecting through MIA/FLL destined for PDX/people from PDX destined to or connecting through MIA/FLL) to make it worthwhile.

SJC doesn’t have non-stop service to FLL or MIA, does it?

AA flew it for a short time around 2001.

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 10, 2019 5:48 pm

#SunCountryAirlines
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

gatibosgru

Fri May 10, 2019 5:58 pm

lightsaber wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Winner!

Lightsaber

There's always Moxy :duck:
@DadCelo

SANFan

Fri May 10, 2019 7:11 pm

As requested up-thread, PDEW figures for 3Q2018 (I believe the most recent figures posted by the DOT in Table 1A) are:
PDX-FLL 74
PDX-MIA 54
PDX-PBI 21

As I've suggested many times, when sufficient traffic exists in the market, someone will start service.

bb

lightsaber

Fri May 10, 2019 7:15 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
williaminsd wrote:
Winner!

Lightsaber

There's always Moxy :duck:

I assume Moxy sticks with their high tech with more luxury and higher utilization version of Allegiant. I do not expect them on the West coast before 2025. Just my assumption...

Lightsaber

lightsaber

Fri May 10, 2019 7:22 pm

SANFan wrote:
As requested up-thread, PDEW figures for 3Q2018 (I believe the most recent figures posted by the DOT in Table 1A) are:
PDX-FLL 74
PDX-MIA 54
PDX-PBI 21

As I've suggested many times, when sufficient traffic exists in the market, someone will start service.

bb

New entrants often multiply PDEW enough to make the route viable. If we add PDX to FLL and MIA, that is enough for more than an A220-100. (128) A small increase due to the direct fills an A220-300. I'm not seeing an A320 or 738 justified. There will, of course still be connecting traffic (brand loyalty, departure time options, cost savings).

I'm facinated by this thread as I really want to see LGB to Florida options. We will have similar discussions on that.

Lightsaber

cschleic

Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm

SANFan wrote:
PDX-FLL 74
PDX-MIA 54
PDX-PBI 21

bb

How do those compare to PDX - MCO which does have a non-stop?

jbpdx

Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:

I'm facinated by this thread as I really want to see LGB to Florida options. We will have similar discussions on that.

I think I remember JetBlue LGB-FLL. No?
Next: AS PDX-OGG-PDX
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

SANFan

Fri May 10, 2019 8:40 pm

New entrants often multiply PDEW enough to make the route viable. If we add PDX to FLL and MIA, that is enough for more than an A220-100. (128) A small increase due to the direct fills an A220-300. I'm not seeing an A320 or 738 justified. There will, of course still be connecting traffic (brand loyalty, departure time options, cost savings).

Lightsaber

You're right -- but apparently the cx still don't feel there is enough traffic, even with expected growth in the markets stimulated by nonstop service. Particularly apparent is that AAG, the #1 carrier in PDX, doesn't yet see the necessary traffic, nor does AA, with all their connecting options in MIA. (I don't see NK or B6 interested at the present time.) It appears that even SY doesn't yet feel that a nonstop a couple days a week between PDX (their new focus city?) and FLL/MIA is worth trying.

Of course the appearance of a new aircraft with lower capacity along with the range for trans-con flying changes the equation. When one of those airlines has that a/c in their fleet, then PDX-S Fla may very well happen.

Until then, I'm afraid no matter how angry the Portlanders on A.net are, the nonstop service is not yet viable...

bb

Brickell305

Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

SJC doesn’t have non-stop service to FLL or MIA, does it?

AA flew it for a short time around 2001.

You’re right. I confused SJC with SAN.

jbpdx

Fri May 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Just a couple years ago people said PDX-MCO wouldn’t work. PDX-South Florida averages ~160 PDEW (weaker in Q3). PDX-MIA/FLL is a perfect example of a route where a nonstop can boost traffic by ~40%. SkyScanner shows the shortest duration one-stops are 7.5-8+ hour travel time but with unrealistic short connection windows (IAH, DFW, ATL) of about 40 minutes, which increases the chance of a missed connection (weather, congestion, mechanical), as I learned in March. With these options, people are discouraged from making the trip.

AA and B6 are not interested. I’d bet on Sun Country. (They tried PDX-MCO last summer, which was a mistake with AS already on the route.) Codesharing with a carrier (foreign? doubt it would be AA or B6) for thru traffic to Caribbean/S. America would help. Also, MIA and FLL both have incentives for targeted new service.

PDX-South Florida remains the No.1 unserved domestic route between major U.S. metro areas. It’s interesting that MIA/FLL have nonstops to Oslo; Warsaw; Santa Cruz, Bolivia; Calgary; Helsinki; Milan; Belem, Brazil, and now Vancouver, but not Portland. Why would anyone go all the way to Florida from Vancouver when they could go to Hawaii and Mexico? Where have I heard that before?
Next: AS PDX-OGG-PDX
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

MAH4546

Fri May 17, 2019 6:39 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Just a couple years ago people said PDX-MCO wouldn’t work. PDX-South Florida averages ~160 PDEW (weaker in Q3). PDX-MIA/FLL is a perfect example of a route where a nonstop can boost traffic by ~40%. SkyScanner shows the shortest duration one-stops are 7.5-8+ hour travel time but with unrealistic short connection windows (IAH, DFW, ATL) of about 40 minutes, which increases the chance of a missed connection (weather, congestion, mechanical), as I learned in March. With these options, people are discouraged from making the trip.

AA and B6 are not interested. I’d bet on Sun Country. (They tried PDX-MCO last summer, which was a mistake with AS already on the route.) Codesharing with a carrier (foreign? doubt it would be AA or B6) for thru traffic to Caribbean/S. America would help. Also, MIA and FLL both have incentives for targeted new service.

PDX-South Florida remains the No.1 unserved domestic route between major U.S. metro areas. It’s interesting that MIA/FLL have nonstops to Oslo; Warsaw; Santa Cruz, Bolivia; Calgary; Helsinki; Milan; Belem, Brazil, and now Vancouver, but not Portland. Why would anyone go all the way to Florida from Vancouver when they could go to Hawaii and Mexico? Where have I heard that before?

I would not say AA is not interested. I bet AA is the one that enters the market first. They are flying things like Miami-Oklahoma City and Miami-Grand Rapids these days.
a.

BoeingGuy

Fri May 17, 2019 6:56 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I would not say AA is not interested. I bet AA is the one that enters the market first. They are flying things like Miami-Oklahoma City and Miami-Grand Rapids these days.

I’m surprised that AA has not yet started PDX-MIA and SJC-MIA. Both seem like they would work.

SNA-MIA might work with an A319.

jplatts

Fri May 17, 2019 7:05 pm

jbpdx wrote:

AS adding PDX-FLL nonstop service is a possibility as FLL is already served by AS. AS would also be able to offer connections to FLL from Alaska and smaller Oregon markets through PDX (and vice versa) if AS adds PDX-FLL. AS also has an loyal FF base in Oregon, Washington State, and Alaska to support PDX-FLL nonstop service.

RWA380

Fri May 17, 2019 8:43 pm

jplatts wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

AS adding PDX-FLL nonstop service is a possibility as FLL is already served by AS. AS would also be able to offer connections to FLL from Alaska and smaller Oregon markets through PDX (and vice versa) if AS adds PDX-FLL. AS also has an loyal FF base in Oregon, Washington State, and Alaska to support PDX-FLL nonstop service.

Out of the carriers that have been bantered around in this thread, this is the most likely candidate. AS has & continues to monitor this market. IMHO, this would have come online already if VX had not been acquired.

No carrier is earnestly interested in carrying passengers from Portland to the Caribbean as there is so little traffic, it isn't something worth cultivating. Central or South America's major destinations can be reached via LAX, SFO, ATL, CLT, DFW or IAH.

But there are four Portlanders that I know, that have bought condos in Ft Lauderdale, because it was less expensive than California, Hawaii or even parts of the Oregon Coast. They have indicated that during the season, they meet several people who hale from the PNW. I think only FLL would be able to sustain that service, add in the small number of cruise passengers from here that depart out of the port.

Think this time next year, I suspect we may have a 73G operating a less than daily schedule.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

wnflyguy

Sat May 18, 2019 1:07 am

jbpdx wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

I think I remember JetBlue LGB-FLL. No?

Yes 3ed Time wasn't a charm.
LGB Florida will probably never happen again.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

9Patch

Sat May 18, 2019 1:15 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

Or Mexico?

rayfound

Sat May 18, 2019 4:16 pm

My perspective is that PDX-FLL Is pretty well serviced by AS via SEA. They have so many flights from PDX-SEA that there just isn't a bottleneck there. And, as mentioned by others, those of us on the west coast don't really look to Florida as a vacation spot: California, Mexico, and Hawaii fill that niche for the vacationers from the west coast that is served by Florida and Bahamas/Caribbean for the east coast.

TWA772LR

Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Im surprised no one has mentioned WN.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jplatts

Sun May 19, 2019 2:20 am

TWA772LR wrote:

While I agree that WN adding PDX-FLL nonstop service is a possibility, WN adding PDX-FLL nonstop service is unlikely to occur as WN doesn't currently serve FLL nonstop from any West Coast destinations.

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 3:30 pm

jplatts wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

While I agree that WN adding PDX-FLL nonstop service is a possibility, WN adding PDX-FLL nonstop service is unlikely to occur as WN doesn't currently serve FLL nonstop from any West Coast destinations.

SAN - FLL is served by WN
Cíao

jplatts

Sun May 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:

While WN currently serves MCO and TPA nonstop from SAN, WN doesn't currently serve FLL nonstop from SAN.

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 3:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:

While WN currently serves MCO and TPA nonstop from SAN, WN doesn't currently serve FLL nonstop from SAN.

My bad, B6, not WN.
Cíao

blacksoviet

Wed May 29, 2019 10:57 pm

Alaska is paying the price for not ordering the 736 when they had the chance. Now it is too late as Boeing is no longer offering the 736. The 73G is too big to fly FLL-PDX.

MAH4546

Wed May 29, 2019 11:06 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
Alaska is paying the price for not ordering the 736 when they had the chance. Now it is too late as Boeing is no longer offering the 736. The 73G is too big to fly FLL-PDX.

LOL. What? A 739 could fly FLL-PDX and be filled every single day.
a.

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 9:30 pm

blacksoviet wrote:

What?
Cíao

blacksoviet

Thu May 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

What?

If the 73G is big enough then why isn't Alaska flying the route? Obviously the 73G is too big.

flybry

Thu May 30, 2019 9:57 pm

United doesn't even fly LAX to PDX nonstop... and LAX is supposedly a hub for United!!!!!

blacksoviet

Thu May 30, 2019 10:31 pm

flybry wrote:
United doesn't even fly LAX to PDX nonstop... and LAX is supposedly a hub for United!!!!!

Does the E-175 not have enough range?

Geminijets101
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 6:43 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
flybry wrote:

I wouldn’t fly an E-175 on that far of a flight.
Cíao

TransWorldOne

Fri May 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Geminijets101 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
flybry wrote:

Are you being serious? The E-175 absolutely has enough range to fly LAX-PDX. In fact, Compass Airlines operates the flight multiple times daily as American Eagle and Delta Connection. I find the E-175's extremely comfortable and would choose them over a 737 any day.

blacksoviet

Fri May 31, 2019 7:54 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
Geminijets101 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Are you being serious? The E-175 absolutely has enough range to fly LAX-PDX. In fact, Compass Airlines operates the flight multiple times daily as American Eagle and Delta Connection. I find the E-175's extremely comfortable and would choose them over a 737 any day.

I think the E-175 has the widest seats in the AA fleet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos