mercure1
Topic Author

Brussels Airlines future narrowbody fleet to be branded as Eurowings

Mon May 13, 2019 6:02 pm

LH Group will rebrand narrowbody aircraft from Brussels Airlines in the Eurowings livery as a result of the integration of the Belgian Lufthansa subsidiary into the Eurowings Group progresses.
According to the spokeswoman, the reason for the unification is to develop Eurowings into a "leading pan-European airline with a strong European brand".

http://www.airliners.de/brussels-maschi ... very/50066

While I don't love the Eurowings livery, I do think having a unified brand is a good move.
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue May 14, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title fixed
mercure f-wtcc

Ishrion

Re: Brussels Airlines narrowbody fleet to be rebranded as Eurowings

Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 pm

What are they going to do with the special liveries that Brussels has?

Aisak

Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 pm

mercure1 wrote:
While I don't love the Eurowings livery, I do think having a unified brand is a good move.

While I do agree that a common brand could be good, the problem here is that EW is not part of Star Alliance. So while SN is ok, and you know there is an agreement to earn/burn miles and recognize status among Star FF schemes, that is not the case for EW.

davidjohnson6

Mon May 13, 2019 6:28 pm

So when does Austrian short haul get merged into Eurowings ? 2021 perhaps ?
I'm guessing that unlike Austrian, Swiss short haul is sufficiently profitable that the brand will be retained for the time being

PatrickZ80

Mon May 13, 2019 7:04 pm

This is not a good move.

Eurowings has a cheap LCC image, they are to compete with the likes of EasyJet and Norwegian. They are not a legacy airline like Brussels Airways, they are not a premium airline.

Belgians that are loyal to Brussels Airlines won't be loyal to Eurowings even if behind the screen it's the same airline. But the different brand image will scare them away to other airlines. Brussels Airlines kind of adapted the old Sabena brand image of a strong and high quality airline. They're everything that Eurowings isn't.

Eurowings is fine as an addition, but not as a replacement. The two brands attract different passengers and by having them both active you can capture both kinds of passengers. Killing off one brand will inevitably lead to the loss of some passengers, and in this case the passengers to be lost are the premium passengers that pay the most.

Polot

Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Ishrion wrote:
What are they going to do with the special liveries that Brussels has?

Paint over them.

Start saying goodbye to Brussels Airline. Long haul rebranding will likely follow.

konrad

Mon May 13, 2019 7:11 pm

mercure1 wrote:
LH Group will rebrand narrowbody aircraft from Brussels Airlines in the Eurowings livery as a result of the integration of the Belgian Lufthansa subsidiary into the Eurowings Group progresses.

Austrian narrowbody should be next to be integrated into Eurowings. No reason to keep them separate.

janbrubel

Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Chronicle of a death foretold for Brussels Airlines. Shame.

LifelinerOne

Mon May 13, 2019 7:27 pm

It’s good to note that, for now, only new additions to the narrowbody fleet of Brussels Airlines will be branded as Eurowings. A decision for the current fleet will be made at a later moment.

Cheers! :wave:
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

nordikcam

Mon May 13, 2019 7:27 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
This is not a good move.

Eurowings has a cheap LCC image, they are to compete with the likes of EasyJet and Norwegian. They are not a legacy airline like Brussels Airways, they are not a premium airline.

Belgians that are loyal to Brussels Airlines won't be loyal to Eurowings even if behind the screen it's the same airline. But the different brand image will scare them away to other airlines. Brussels Airlines kind of adapted the old Sabena brand image of a strong and high quality airline. They're everything that Eurowings isn't.

Eurowings is fine as an addition, but not as a replacement. The two brands attract different passengers and by having them both active you can capture both kinds of passengers. Killing off one brand will inevitably lead to the loss of some passengers, and in this case the passengers to be lost are the premium passengers that pay the most.

True. In fact with EW we enter a category that I call "subcategory" with zero service when there is a problem ... Nobody! With AF or KL I am sure to find someone, have an answer, and an immediate refund. And a "SERVICE" on transcontinental flight or @ the airport ! And so, whether I agree or not with the change of SN in EW will not change anything ... I have the choice ... not to steal Eurowings! It's personal !

marcogr12

Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 pm

That's so sad..At least they could have painted the a/c with a slight Brussels variation,not just eurowhite, and add Eurowings brussels to the title..I don't think the austrians either will give up the Austrian identity in favour of "plain german" Eurowings..It would be a shame,if the red short-haul fleet is lost from the skies
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

AirwayBill

Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 pm

It is an insult to Belgian identity and heritage, no more no less.

LAXintl

Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Unified brand is a good idea.

Also lets keep in mind that its not like SN is making massive profits for LH Group, quite the opposite, so there is good reason to try something else.

As far as *A membership there certainly are cost involved. Maybe LH will decide carrier could become a Connecting Partner in the alliance?
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

PlanesNTrains

Mon May 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Maybe it's just me but do most people even notice the paint on the outside of the aircraft? I guess I'm used to US jetways/airports where it's often challenging to really get a good look at the aircraft at the gate. Don't get me wrong - on this side of it, I want as many schemes as possible. In the end, though, does it matter? They can just sell flights by brand but everyone would be in LH colors with "operated by" discreetly by the door.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

VSMUT

Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
This is not a good move.

Err, when did you last fly Brussels Airlines short-haul? It has been a cheap, no-frills airline for years! Absolutely not a premium airline. Not even business class is close to "premium" or "quality". It has only gotten worse with the plethora of subcontractors flying for Brussels Airlines, especially with dirty cabins and planes painted in all sorts of liveries. If you ask me, Brussels Airlines is already Eurowings in all but name.

The hub is nice, as is the lounge, and I agree with Aisak about the lack of FF integration for non-Miles and More members.

kimimm19

Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Another step in the race to the bottom courtesy of LH trying to distinguish themselves as a superior brand from the rest of the group. :roll:

c933103

Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Wait, so going by the logic, will LH move its own narrowbody ops to EW too? Including the Ju52?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Pendennis

Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Maybe it's just me but do most people even notice the paint on the outside of the aircraft? I guess I'm used to US jetways/airports where it's often challenging to really get a good look at the aircraft at the gate. Don't get me wrong - on this side of it, I want as many schemes as possible. In the end, though, does it matter? They can just sell flights by brand but everyone would be in LH colors with "operated by" discreetly by the door.

Its not just a paint scheme on the outside, the interior reflects the same theme https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-ua/ ... uegel.aspx

Aisak

Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Err, when did you last fly Brussels Airlines short-haul? It has been a cheap, no-frills airline for years! Absolutely not a premium airline. Not even business class is close to "premium" or "quality". It has only gotten worse with the plethora of subcontractors flying for Brussels Airlines, especially with dirty cabins and planes painted in all sorts of liveries. If you ask me, Brussels Airlines is already Eurowings in all but name.

We often forget how tiny SN Brussels was back in the 2000s. Avros doing the bulk of flying in a single class but sold as b.light and b.flex. Codeshares and FF with IB, BA, AA (yes, AA was flying to BRU!!) Those were the times. All pointing towards oneworld, but... changed a lot.
I also remember when Jet Airways announced the scissor hub in BRU (5 cities in India onwards 5 cities in N.Am) in cooperation with SN as local partner.

SN Brussels and LCC Virgin Express merged to form Brussels but that airline was nothing like the current one under LH hands. it’s like two different companies. For the worst or for the better? It is just how we want to measure things

Aisak

Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 pm

c933103 wrote:
Wait, so going by the logic, will LH move its own narrowbody ops to EW too? Including the Ju52?

They should to keep coherence across the Group. Eurowings doing all the short haul flying and easily interchangeable across Europe while the “strong” brands take care of Longhaul from their hubs. Will it happen??? Who knows.

SEU

Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 pm

This was coming. Eurowings is going to be LH's "Pan-European" airline, whilst Lufthansa remains the German focused national airline. My tribal instincts dont like it, but from a business perspective its a good move.

UPlog

Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm

If I did not know any better my experience with Brussels Airlines says they are an LCC already. Frankly, I was not impressed.

Eurowings branding has potential and logic behind it. Like many experts have said, consolidation in Europe needs to continue, the days of small national legacy airlines will be relegated to memories only.

Eurowings brand has the potential of being a significant pan European brand if LH plays it right.

VSMUT

Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Aisak wrote:
For the worst or for the better? It is just how we want to measure things

Lets not forget where they came from. SABENA had the nickname "Such A Bad Experience, Never Again" for a good reason. I suppose Eurowings is still an improvement on that.

Panagiotis

Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 pm

SEU wrote:
This was coming. Eurowings is going to be LH's "Pan-European" airline, whilst Lufthansa remains the German focused national airline. My tribal instincts dont like it, but from a business perspective its a good move.

Then they should paint every Lufthansa's short haul fleet to the Eurowings livery, and Swiss, Austrian, etc... Why only SN ?

mercure1
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Panagiotis wrote:
Then they should paint every Lufthansa's short haul fleet to the Eurowings livery, and Swiss, Austrian, etc... Why only SN ?

Maybe you missed it, but SN is part of Eurowings already. They were integrated in 2018 following LH Group decision to fully acquire SN in 2016.

LX, OS are separate airlines, not part of Eurowings.
mercure f-wtcc

Mortyman

Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Very sad and very dissepointed in Lufthansa.

zkojq

Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Err, when did you last fly Brussels Airlines short-haul? It has been a cheap, no-frills airline for years! Absolutely not a premium airline.

They charge premium prices though. Very similar to BA Shorthaul actually: charge a high base fare then charge dearly for all the things you would expect to be included for a full service legacy carrier.

VSMUT wrote:
f you ask me, Brussels Airlines is already Eurowings in all but name.

Haha at least Eurowings has a reputation for good value.

SEU wrote:

I just wish Eurowings was more dominant in markets outside DACH. Would be nice to see more of them in France flying routes that don't touch DACH.
First to fly the 787-9

vandoc

Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Panagiotis wrote:
SEU wrote:

Be assured, with time moving on and a few issues with the staff solved (livery is part of the contracts with the pilots) more and more brands will follow. Next will be Austrian then I expect Edelweiss to follow.

AirAY

Mon May 13, 2019 10:27 pm

So what‘s next? Rebrand SWISS into Eurowings Swiss? And what about Austrian Airlines narrowbody Fleet? Or even Air Dolomiti, merged with Lufthansa CityLine? And at least buy Thomas Cook and merged with SunExpress to Eurowings Holiday Airlines??? What can we expected?

KLDC10

Mon May 13, 2019 10:30 pm

AirAY wrote:
So what‘s next? Rebrand SWISS into Eurowings Swiss? And what about Austrian Airlines narrowbody Fleet? Or even Air Dolomiti, merged with Lufthansa CityLine? And at least buy Thomas Cook and merged with SunExpress to Eurowings Holiday Airlines??? What can we expected?

On the first airline; unlikely. SWISS and Lufthansa are the two premium brands of the Lufthansa Group.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

DUSZRH

Mon May 13, 2019 11:14 pm

SN has always been a LCC type of operation demanded by the market forces. Apparently LX can charge a premium within Switzerland for being Swiss. If you can't charge a premium for your brand, the only logical thing is to consolidate the brand.

davidjohnson6

Tue May 14, 2019 12:41 am

It's the little chocolate bars they hand out on Swiss that gives them the ability to charge a higher price. Now if Austrian were to hand out a piece of strudel or Sachertorte to all their passengers, there would be no need to worry about being merged into Eurowings

Seriously tho, Swiss do somehow manage to provide the *perception* of a higher level of service, even on a 90 minute flight to/from Zurich. Even though Air Berlin gave a chocolate to pax on arrival, their brand value was not at the level of Swiss. I also don't get that perception when I fly Brussels Airlines

flyguy89

Tue May 14, 2019 12:52 am

So long-haul ops will remain Brussels Airlines? Hard to imagine they'd tamper with that given the brand equity built up in Africa. I don't think Eurowings would have the same appeal there.

YIMBY

Tue May 14, 2019 5:43 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Sorry to disagree but I do not see Brussels Airlines to have any brand value, at least above Eurowings. For me it is just a Bulk Airline (almost always had a subcontractor) as many others. By that I do not mean any bad - it is not in my no fly list - just that I do not pay a cent more to fly it. Generally I do not believe that the brand matters except for some devoted people. Some brands may have negative values when you associate something bad to it, whether is is for good or random reason. I know some people avoid e.g. SK, AF for principle, but for European flights I take the cheapest option giving an acceptable schedule, and believe to be in majority in this behaviour.

Long haul may be different: many might not trust an unknown foreign airline, and I do not blame them for it.

SQ22

Re: Brussels Airlines future narrowbody fleet to be branded as Eurowings

Tue May 14, 2019 5:25 pm

mercure1 wrote:
According to the spokeswoman, the reason for the unification is to develop Eurowings into a "leading pan-European airline with a strong European brand".

http://www.airliners.de/brussels-maschi ... very/50066

Maybe it is necessary to provide some input,

Alle künftigen Kurz- und Mittelstreckenmaschinen von Brussels Airlines werden in der Eurowings-Lackierung eingeflottet. Damit schreitet die Integration der belgischen Lufthansa-Tochter in die Eurowings-Group voran.

Translated this means all future short- and medium-haul aircraft of SN will be delivered in EV livery. With this integration of SN being a Belgian LH subsidiary into EW is mobing ahead.

Anyway result could also be SN branded short- and medium-haul fleet slowly disappearing.

Further down the article there is the following sentence:

Ob auch die aktuelle Kurz- und Mittelstreckenflotte, bestehend aus 24 Airbus A319 und 16 Airbus A320 langfristig die Euowings-Livery erhalten wird, ließ die Airline auf Nachfrage unbeantwortet.

Translated this means on request the airline did not reply to the question if the current SN short- and medium-haul fleet will be repainted into EW livery.

So this could also mean some key routes will remain SN branded while other routes will be operated under EW brand, so you could focus on business and leisure routes with different products. I leave it open for discussion if the product is so much different. I have not flown SN recently, but the last time I did it was for sure different to EW.

runway23

Tue May 14, 2019 5:59 pm

vandoc wrote:
Panagiotis wrote:
SEU wrote:

Be assured, with time moving on and a few issues with the staff solved (livery is part of the contracts with the pilots) more and more brands will follow. Next will be Austrian then I expect Edelweiss to follow.

Very doubtful Edelweiss will follow. It has a very loyal brand in Switzerland and premium product. There's no need to lump it into Eurowings or even Swiss at this stage.

LaunchDetected

Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Brand integration is a logical decision.

But seriously, Eurowings brand is so bland and boring. Brussels Airlines at least tried to produce a belgian-themed airline.
Caravelle lover

Pyrex

Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 am

Oh, the irony. At a time Brussels (the city) is trying its best to erase any sort of national identity across Europe, Brussels (the airline) has its identity wiped out in favor of the bland, boring and completely indistinct "Eurowings".
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

A321Lufthansa

Brussels Airlines' integration into EW

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 am

2 days ago the first Brussels' A320 in Eurowings cs had arrived to Brussels.
So, what about the future of SN in Star Alliance? Will they be desintegrated as Eurowings is out of it?
P.S. A333 OO-SFB returned from EW to SN on 31.03 according to planespotters.net but still not repainted. As I understand, it will never be repainted into SN cs? What about the livery of the upcoming A333s from SN order (OO-SFF (ex-SQ) and OO-SFH (ex CX))?
Last flown aircrafts: A320 OE-LBL < A320 OE-LBU < A319 OE-LDE < A320 OE-LBZ < A320 D-AIPL < A319 D-AIBA < E190 HB-JVL < A320 HB-IJR < A321 VP-BKQ < A321 VP-BAV < A320 HB-JLP < BCS3 HB-JCB < A319 D-AILF < A320 D-AIPM

GianiDC

Re: Brussels Airlines' integration into EW

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:29 pm

I am interested what will happen to their extensive african Network. I don´t think that they will operate These routes with the EW brand. What is their main clientele on These flight? O&D, VFR or connecting traffic?

Blerg

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:55 pm

Didn't the unions vote against the integration?

superjeff

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:23 pm

I suspect the almagamation of Brussels Airlines into Eurowings is due to overall Lufthansa strategy. Lufthansa being one of the key members of the Star Alliance means that they could easily move Eurowings into the Alliance if they want to do so. It probably boils down to how they plan to fit SN into their overall business plan. The African network MIGHT mitigate in favor of Star Alliance; the short haul network might not (I'm not sure they want an ultra low cost carrier there, because of the costs). I think we're going to wait a bit more until we see it play out. As for myself, I still miss Sabena :-)

AirwayBill

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:26 pm

GianiDC wrote:
I am interested what will happen to their extensive african Network. I don´t think that they will operate These routes with the EW brand. What is their main clientele on These flight? O&D, VFR or connecting traffic?

A lot of VFR. The African diaspora in Belgium is huge, and there’s quite a bit of demand to sustain such a network. Besides many LH Group/*A customers willing to go to Africa are routed via BRU with SN. And there’s a bit of demand for cargo as well.

I don’t see many cuts in African flights, they do play a role beyond the political “former colonies” factor.

GianiDC

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:39 pm

So I guess from a Business standpoint it would be best to transform SN into a hybrid carrier. Rebrand the intra-european routes into EW. Rebrand specific Long haul planes as EW for traditional european Long haul Holiday destinations, which has already started. Keep SN as an Independent brand for the strong african Network.

GalebG4

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Can one management work with two different brands and same product? Personally I think two local brands can work with one management in particular markets. In theory brands that should work...

blueflyer

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:05 pm

GianiDC wrote:
So I guess from a Business standpoint it would be best to transform SN into a hybrid carrier. Rebrand the intra-european routes into EW. Rebrand specific Long haul planes as EW for traditional european Long haul Holiday destinations, which has already started. Keep SN as an Independent brand for the strong african Network.

The two-brand approach will not be confusing at all for connecting traffic... Brussels Airlines fares to Africa can be quite high, and Lufty wants passengers to connect to an LCC? Lufty has decided this model will not work for its own long-haul network, but somehow it will for Brussels Airlines?

Their desperation to make Eurowings works is starting to show.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

VSMUT

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:37 pm

blueflyer wrote:
GianiDC wrote:

The two-brand approach will not be confusing at all for connecting traffic... Brussels Airlines fares to Africa can be quite high, and Lufty wants passengers to connect to an LCC? Lufty has decided this model will not work for its own long-haul network, but somehow it will for Brussels Airlines?

Their desperation to make Eurowings works is starting to show.

Brussels Airlines is already a LCC on the short haul network. They offer the exact same onboard product as Eurowings, right down to the buy-on-board tapas box. They have been Eurowings in all but name for a few years now.

mchei

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:44 pm

c933103 wrote:

Tante Ju will go into a museum.

Link in German:

https://www.flugrevue.de/klassiker/ents ... ns-museum/
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

mchei

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:52 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
It's the little chocolate bars they hand out on Swiss that gives them the ability to charge a higher price. Now if Austrian were to hand out a piece of strudel or Sachertorte to all their passengers, there would be no need to worry about being merged into Eurowings

Seriously tho, Swiss do somehow manage to provide the *perception* of a higher level of service, even on a 90 minute flight to/from Zurich. Even though Air Berlin gave a chocolate to pax on arrival, their brand value was not at the level of Swiss. I also don't get that perception when I fly Brussels Airlines

It’s a bit more than the chocolate bar I’d say. It’s how cabin crew introduce themselves (always standing in front of the passengers instead of hanging around in the galley and reading a text from the manuals), it’s how the aircrafts are maintained (always clean), it’s the thing with them trying really hard to be on time (at least compared to others), it’s the extra toilet on the A321 - to mention a few examples.
I’m a regular traveller on LH group airlines. Compared to Austrian, Brussels, Eurowings, Germanwings (there still are a few around, even though operated by EW) and LH itself, Swiss does a better job. My two cents.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

sdexplorer00

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Operationally Why is Eurowings such a mish mash of airlines operating under the name Eurowings instead of a cohesive operation such as easyJet or Ryanair?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos