AA777223
Topic Author

Re: Three Class Narrowbodies

Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 pm

As the thread starter, I will weigh in:

For the sake of the discussion, I was referring to three, distinct, separately divided cabins. This is why I specifically noted that AA and UA used to both fly three class aircraft on their respective transcon (PS for UA and flagship for AA) services, but with UA moving to their new layout, they were no longer included. I specifically noted Xiamen Airlines and AA (flagship transcon only) as examples. I'm sure we can debate all day long whether an extra 5 inches of legroom in the same economy seat constitutes a different class or not, but for the sake of the discussion here, I will clarify the original question, though I thought by specifically referencing F, J and Y in the thread origin I was explicit.

As with most long time member and posters, for the sake of this discussion, three classes are distinct divided cabins. As far as I know, by this definition we are using here, no narrowbody has a premium economy; they simply offer Y+ which is a standard Y seat with extra legroom, not a separate class. If there are any examples of a true Premium Economy offering on an NB, I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing about that, as well.

For the sake of this discussion, we are referring to a true F, J and Y experience. AA transcons was referenced, as you have 1-1 in F lie-flat open suite (AA international 77W J seat), 2-2 lie-flat in J (the BE diamond seat seen on UA [non Polaris] and many others in international J) and 3-3 Y with two different legroom types (but still considered one class for this discussion).

I knew when I opened this thread, some way would be found to split hairs, so I tried to be specific, but we've gotten to where every a.net thread descends into hair splitting. So, I think (hope) I have made this as clear as I possibly can. Any further examples are appreciated.
Last edited by AA777223 on Tue May 14, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

Miamiairport

Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 pm

As far as AA is concerned it's not a separate product. If you go to aa.com there is no separate booking column for Y+. In addition to the extra legroom I often find if there are empty middle seats it's often in MCE. I'd hate to see it something you'd have to upgrade to obtain.

AA777223
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Thank goodness, our dear friend Ben Schlappig did a review of the originally referenced Xiamen 757 so we can have a visual aid. Please note the two premium cabins have two different seats - an angled lie flat and a recliner style as seen in US domestic F or international premium economy (not Y+):

https://onemileatatime.com/xiamen-air-b ... 57-review/
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

airboss787

Tue May 14, 2019 5:36 pm

I dont work for an airline but FWIW as a frequent flyer on United in Economy plus, the website or the app will always say United Economy in the cabin information. Not economy plus.

As an aside, United used to market the old 777-200ERs that flew to India as 2 class as well. J and Y. Probably 3 class for the new 777-300ERs now.
Star Alliance Gold

washingtonflyer

Tue May 14, 2019 5:43 pm

keesje wrote:
MCE IS a seperate cabin, with better, spacier seating and additional perks.

Simply not correct.

The following picture should make that obvious....

LovePrunesAnet

Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm

keesje wrote:

WayexTDI wrote:
MCE is a fare class, the hard product is physically different too (since it has more legroom); that classifies as a class in itself for me.

Owww my head. We're back here again? Would people who don't know about AA please stop posting info as they they actually know? If you don't fly it or aren't familiar with it, and yet people are all "well here's how it is on AA."

MCE is not in its own cabin. It's not in a separate fare class. It's NOT "Premium Economy." Truth is not defined as "Well it is for me." We're not going down that rabbit hole of "telling MY truth" are we? :roll:
Delta may or may not treat it that way. AA DOES NOT. Doesn't matter what some credit-card-application-commission-driven blogger says either. What matters is what AA calls it and how they present it, sell it, and execute it in actual practice.

ANYONE can pay for a better seat with MCE perks for an upcharge for some extra legroom and booze usually in an exit row or the first few rows OF COACH NOT IN ITS OWN CABIN. Think of it as a seat fee like Frontier or Spirit for the first few rows with more space (big front seat or whatever Spirit calls it). The bins above the MCE seats have a sticker saying they're reserved for MCE passengers but it's not enforced because ITS NOT ITS OWN CABIN and NOT ITS OWN FARE CLASS

J343

Tue May 14, 2019 7:07 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I think Philippine Airlines operates 3 class A321.

LAXBUR

Tue May 14, 2019 7:26 pm

keesje wrote:

This thread is a good example of how folks on this board love to assert their opinion as fact. Even after multiple posts PROVE otherwise. You pay an ancillary fee for an upgraded experience, not an upgraded cabin. The seat has more legroom and you get free alcohol. Otherwise everything is the same. The snack and meal offerings are the same. The entertainment is the same. The seat itself is the same. If it were a class upgrade you would have a different seat and different service. MCE is the same service as Main Cabin, but some items are “free”.

Not difficult to understand.

ElmerJrG

Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 pm

J343 wrote:

Depends on how you look at it. By definition of this thread, Philippine Airlines does not operate a 3 class A321 even though they are marketing it as such. Their so called "premium economy" has the same seat as standard economy but with different seat color and extra legroom. It does have a removable curtain though so I guess the cabin can be separated though I've never seen it in use.

Their "2 class" Q400s are the same thing. Essentially just Y+. The A350s and 3 class A330s are the only ones with true premium economy in the fleet.

Antarius

Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
keesje wrote:

This thread is a good example of how folks on this board love to assert their opinion as fact. Even after multiple posts PROVE otherwise. You pay an ancillary fee for an upgraded experience, not an upgraded cabin. The seat has more legroom and you get free alcohol. Otherwise everything is the same. The snack and meal offerings are the same. The entertainment is the same. The seat itself is the same. If it were a class upgrade you would have a different seat and different service. MCE is the same service as Main Cabin, but some items are “free”.

Not difficult to understand.

Just shout louder and louder. Eventually people give up. Modus operandi for many here.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

MO11

Tue May 14, 2019 7:57 pm

So, instead of yelling louder, let's go back to a time (50 years ago) when United had three classes of service on its 720s and DC-8s (not all DC-8s were 3-class). In most markets there was First, Standard, and Custom Coach (F/L/Y). In some markets, such as West Coast-Hawaii and ORD-LAX, there was First, Custom Coach, and Economy Coach (F/Y/K). It only lasted two or three years in the mid-60s. What exactly was "L"? I see on some routes, it had free booze, but that that was also offered in "Y" on other routes. There was never meal service on "K".

keesje

Tue May 14, 2019 8:05 pm

4 Cabins, seat & service spec's, 3 classes. As a passenger, I really could't care less, a little knee space & avoid shoulder rubbing 777 10 abreast, 787 9 abreast.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Antarius

Tue May 14, 2019 8:23 pm

keesje wrote:
4 Cabins, seat & service spec's, 3 classes. As a passenger, I really could't care less, a little knee space & avoid shoulder rubbing 777 10 abreast, 787

Great. Then stop cluttering this thread with things you dont care about and are wrong about too.
Last edited by Antarius on Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

klakzky123

Tue May 14, 2019 8:24 pm

AA definitely prices MCE as an ancillary/add on rather than a fare class. Not sure how that's even debatable. You can even contrast that to DL which does price Delta Comfort using a separate fare class.

Antarius

Tue May 14, 2019 8:25 pm

ElmerJrG wrote:
J343 wrote:

Depends on how you look at it. By definition of this thread, Philippine Airlines does not operate a 3 class A321 even though they are marketing it as such. Their so called "premium economy" has the same seat as standard economy but with different seat color and extra legroom. It does have a removable curtain though so I guess the cabin can be separated though I've never seen it in use.

Their "2 class" Q400s are the same thing. Essentially just Y+. The A350s and 3 class A330s are the only ones with true premium economy in the fleet.

Do you know what the so called PE books into? Is it into W or just another Y/discount Y code?

I ask because intra-Europe J is the same seat separated by a mini divider. But still a separate class of service.

cpd

Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 pm

keesje wrote:
4 Cabins, seat & service spec's, 3 classes. As a passenger, I really could't care less, a little knee space & avoid shoulder rubbing 777 10 abreast, 787 9 abreast.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/61/73 ... 576fd1.png

Keesje, you have half the people on this topic yelling at you for posting the wrong information in the face of clear proof, then you completely ignore it to the point of la la la I’m not listening? At least be reasonable and admit they are right.

A little more room and a couple of perks with the same seat, especially in the same cabin isn’t to me a really different class.

If airlines introduced pay to recline your seat, would that be a separate class too?

Genuine three class narrow body planes are quite uncommon these days. I’m trying to remember if Ansett and Australian Airlines had them, but it was so long ago.

washingtonflyer

Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Here's a pair of BPs from a recent trip. Segment 1 was an economy class flight and Segment 2 was upgraded first class. The tag "first" appears on the top boarding pass but nothing appears on the second pass. 7A (my seat in economy) was a MCE seat. But there is absolutely no reference to MCE anywhere on the boarding pass. The ticket was booked in the "G" bucket which is identified as being a "9th tier fare" in economy class.

keesje

Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 pm

United Economy PM Plus, Delta Comfort Plus, KLM Comfort, AA Extra. All bigger seats, cabins, perks. One is a class, the other not? Fine! Back office discussion from my perspective.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

washingtonflyer

Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 pm

keesje wrote:
United Economy PM Plus, Delta Comfort Plus, KLM Comfort, AA Extra. All bigger seats, cabins, perks. One is a class, the other not? Fine! Back office discussion from my perspective.

American Main Cabin Extra is the same seat as all other seats in economy (setting aside that one has a tray in the seat versus seatback).

American Premium Economy is a different seat.

Last edited by washingtonflyer on Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xxcr

Tue May 14, 2019 9:00 pm

keesje wrote:

its only 3 classes. F/J/Y. Main Cabin extra is still economy just +extra legroom with the same economy service

ElmerJrG

Tue May 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Antarius wrote:
ElmerJrG wrote:
J343 wrote:

Do you know what the so called PE books into? Is it into W or just another Y/discount Y code?

I ask because intra-Europe J is the same seat separated by a mini divider. But still a separate class of service.

PE on the A321 books as W on domestic but Y+ on international flights.

Antarius

Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 pm

keesje wrote:

Isnt there an anti-Boeing thread you can troll instead?

:relieved:

airbazar

Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 pm

chimborazo wrote:
Isn’t it ironic though that your employer thinks it’s okay to make you suffer and then give recovery time (including more time away from home) than it is to pay more to have you arrive at a suitable time and in a suitable condition for work. This has been my argument at my company. Business is ridiculously expensive. But travelling halfway round the world, getting to hotel at 01:00 for a 08:30 meeting plus travel, one night stopover and from work to airport to do it again on the way back... that’s what business class is for.

The 2 are not even comparable. An extra hotel night is a couple hundred $$. The difference between a Y and premium econ could be well over $1000. The difference between Y and J is multiple $1000's.

As for whether Y+ is a different class or not I'm in the camp of those who don't care what the airline really says or markets it. They're doing what the bean counters tell them to do in order to maximize the profits. As a consumer, Y+ is a different class and since it is MY money, what I think is really all that matters.

nikeherc

Tue May 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Antarius wrote:
keesje wrote:

Isnt there an anti-Boeing thread you can troll instead?

:relieved:

Best comment of the year!
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

bourbon

Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 am

keesje wrote:

Premium economy is a separate “cabin”. Main cabin extra is merely certain seats that have more leg room and might get free drinks.

chimborazo

Wed May 15, 2019 1:16 am

airbazar wrote:
chimborazo wrote:
Isn’t it ironic though that your employer thinks it’s okay to make you suffer and then give recovery time (including more time away from home) than it is to pay more to have you arrive at a suitable time and in a suitable condition for work. This has been my argument at my company. Business is ridiculously expensive. But travelling halfway round the world, getting to hotel at 01:00 for a 08:30 meeting plus travel, one night stopover and from work to airport to do it again on the way back... that’s what business class is for.

The 2 are not even comparable. An extra hotel night is a couple hundred $$. The difference between a Y and premium econ could be well over $1000. The difference between Y and J is multiple $1000's.

As for whether Y+ is a different class or not I'm in the camp of those who don't care what the airline really says or markets it. They're doing what the bean counters tell them to do in order to maximize the profits. As a consumer, Y+ is a different class and since it is MY money, what I think is really all that matters.

In the case of travelling for an employer it is their money. Do what I do travel wise and you may have a different perspective. Agreed it’s a huge jump... that was my point. But the guy was originally saying how uncomfortable it all is - even with the extra leg room seats. People are generally getting bigger, on board space is generally getting smaller. Not everyone wants to take extra time away from home to recover for a physically uncomfortable travel experience but each to their own.

Point is, it says a lot about an employer that their profit line is more important than their employee comfort. Get the customer to pay for it. We often have costed for flights that easily covers business class but still fly lower cabin. Once I asked to go business to China for £2k on an airline we don’t normally book but was told no we don’t fly business so booked the premium economy tickets on BA for £3.5k... work that one out :-)

CURQ400

Wed May 15, 2019 7:02 am

keesje wrote:

Just stop being so stubborn. This isn’t subjective or up for debate. Your opinion on this is irrelevant in light of the FACTS. It’s not a separate cabin, it’s literally inside the same cabin. Hell, sometimes they’re scattered throughout the Y cabin with no rhyme or reason.

And honestly, sorry to the OP, since OP had a genuine question, but this thread has run its course and has gone way off topic and should probably be closed.

Pellegrine

Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 am

I've long had a concept for a three-class narrowbody airliner with J at 2-2, W at 2-3, and Y at 3-3. Obviously this would be a plane that flies longer international routes. 2-3 in W differentiates the premium economy class a bit more while offering them more than a few inches of leg room.
oh boy, here we go!!!

zakuivcustom

Wed May 15, 2019 4:06 pm

The OP already stated that he (or she) is looking for narrowbodies with F, J, and Y. Who cares if Y+/MCE/Comfort+/whatever is a separate "class"/cabin or not? Take that to another thread...

Pellegrine wrote:
I've long had a concept for a three-class narrowbody airliner with J at 2-2, W at 2-3, and Y at 3-3. Obviously this would be a plane that flies longer international routes. 2-3 in W differentiates the premium economy class a bit more while offering them more than a few inches of leg room.

If JL decided to have dedicated first on their domestic narrowbody fleet (738), they may go this route. Right now there's "Class J" which is 2-3 and "regular" 3-3 economy on their 738s. I highly doubt it'll happen, though (The only routes that have dedicated domestic First class are their trunk routes i.e. HND-ITM/CTS/FUK, and those routes are busy enough to sustain widebodies i.e. 767/772 and soon 788 and 359).

On a side note - any DC-8 or 707 with F, J, and Y? Seems like they're all 2-class (i.e. a premium cabin, be it either First or Business, and regular economy) from what I can find.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Austin787

Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Here is an idea for a 3 class narrowbody:
J: lie flats; configured at 1-1 (using the Thompson Solo seats) or 2-2 (using B/E Diamond seats)
W: recliners at 2-2
Y: 3-3
Each class would have a distinct selling point. Would be most useful for narrowbodies that fly long routes, or premium heavy domestic routes.

Antarius

Wed May 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Pellegrine wrote:

I could see J, W, Y with 2-2 lay flats, 2-2 recliners and 3-3 Y. 1-1 works for a small subset of routes (like LAX-JFK for AA), but isnt likely to be as successful across the board.

Finn350

Wed May 15, 2019 6:48 pm

keesje wrote:

Even the name “MAIN CABIN EXTRA” says it, it is not a separate cabin. There are only three cabins in an AA A321T.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos