Page 1 of 3

Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 am
by Gulfstream500
A Delta Air Lines flight made an emergency landing on Sunday, a Delta representative told Business Insider.
The aircraft used for the flight was a Boeing 737-800.
USA Today reports that the emergency landing followed an issue with the aircraft's nose gear.
Boeing has come under fire in recent months following two deadly crashes involving its 737 Max aircraft.
The 737-800 is an older version of the 737 Max.


https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-b ... ing-2019-5

Just have to notice the fact that the media is grouping this with the MAX incidents. The article falsely states that the 737-800 is “an older version of the MAX”, which sounds like it is saying that it IS a MAX aircraft.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 am
by ikolkyo
Are we really surprised?

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:09 am
by MalevTU134
Why post here, why not email the publication in question and point out the error?Journalists aren't experts in every field imaginable. They do their research, but often get the details wrong. It's normal. Life goes on...

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 am
by LDRA
The statement is surprisingly correct...

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 am
by Antarius
Dont click on garbage like Business Insider. Best way to aid junk like this towards going away.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 am
by eta unknown
Maybe a tad ambiguous from some points of view, but I don't see a problem.
A 737-300/400/500 is a newer version of the 737-100/200.
A 737-600/700/800NG is a newer version of the 737-300/400/500.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 am
by TVNWZ
Lol..most of the debate here is how Boeing May have screwed up by hanging new, big engines on an old design instead of a clean sheet design. So, depending on your side of the argument, it is an older version of the Max.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 am
by PC12Fan
LDRA wrote:
The statement is surprisingly correct...


Ehh, hardly.

eta unknown wrote:
Maybe a tad ambiguous from some points of view, but I don't see a problem.
A 737-300/400/500 is a newer version of the 737-100/200.
A 737-600/700/800NG is a newer version of the 737-300/400/500.


You said it yourself - ambiguous. In this case, very ambiguous.

It's like comparing a 1999 Corvette to a 2019 Corvette.

Yet another case of media sensationalism.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 am
by Runway28L
The most hilarious bit from this is that the article is not even related to the MAX, it's about a DL B738 having to turn around for a nose gear indication. Yet Business Insider just HAS to go completely off-topic to stoke the MAX fire even more. :sarcastic:

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:33 am
by eta unknown
Yeah, but it's still a Corvette :-)

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 am
by 1989worstyear
Aaaaaaaand......

They landed without a problem.

:gnasher: :banghead:

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:29 am
by wjcandee
A report in the NY Daily News said that it was "unclear whether" that DL 737-800 incident was related to the things that caused the MAX accident.

Seriously.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:39 am
by UA444
I love how whiny some of you get when the media doesn’t get every precious detail correct.

And the fact of the matter is that the article was in fact correct. It is an older version of the 737.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:59 am
by B737Captain1980
Gulfstream500 wrote:
A Delta Air Lines flight made an emergency landing on Sunday, a Delta representative told Business Insider.
The aircraft used for the flight was a Boeing 737-800.
USA Today reports that the emergency landing followed an issue with the aircraft's nose gear.
Boeing has come under fire in recent months following two deadly crashes involving its 737 Max aircraft.
The 737-800 is an older version of the 737 Max.


https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-b ... ing-2019-5

Just have to notice the fact that the media is grouping this with the MAX incidents. The article falsely states that the 737-800 is “an older version of the MAX”, which sounds like it is saying that it IS a MAX aircraft.


The media has gotten so bad and wrecklace at reporting for the sake of ratings that we almost need something to put them in check on the impact their bad reporting has on industries and people’s livelihood. Irony is the media’s purpose was just for that reason, looks as if they now need some check and balance system

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:34 am
by Bricktop
UA444 wrote:
I love how whiny some of you get when the media doesn’t get every precious detail correct.

And the fact of the matter is that the article was in fact correct. It is an older version of the 737.

Oh dear.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:36 am
by downdata
777 - the wide body version of max
787- the dreamliner of max
797 - the latest version of max
747F - the freighter version of max
:spin:

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:42 am
by yonahleung
If the 737-800 is not an older version of the MAX then why is there any grandfathering in certification? What's wrong with you guys?

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 am
by precure787
The A320NEO is basically a newer version of the A320, which is true because it gets a newer engine for efficiency. However, a 737-800 being the older version of the MAX is untrue, as it would've scared airlines into grounding the NG's as well. The fact is, the older 737s are NOT installed with MCAS, as the engines on the older variants are lighter than that of the LEAP-1B.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:09 am
by DocLightning
What is relevant here is that the Boeing 737-MAX debacle is hurting the entire 737 brand. Yes, this is idiotic, but facts are less important here than perception.

People are going to be afraid to fly on 737NGs even though they have something like 25 years of reliable service history.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:13 am
by Bobloblaw
Max 8 is newer version of the 737-800, but the reverse is not true

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:14 am
by Jetty
B737Captain1980 wrote:
Irony is the media’s purpose was just for that reason, looks as if they now need some check and balance system

Doesn’t beat the irony of a maneuvering augmentation system that sends an aircraft into the ground. And If anything needs some check and balance system it’s the certification of US airplanes. :duck:

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:17 am
by Jetty
Bobloblaw wrote:
Max 8 is newer version of the 737-800, but the reverse is not true

:? This needs some explaining. Newer versus older are two sides of the same coin. What else in the world is newer where the item that’s compared with isn’t older at the same time?

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:25 am
by planecane
I don't think newer version or older version is the correct semantics when referring to a model series.

The more recent generation is an updated version of the prior generation but the earlier version isn't a "dated" version of the recent one.

The correct thing for the article to say would have been, "the MAX is an updated version of the 737-800."

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:51 am
by KFLLCFII
DocLightning wrote:
What is relevant here is that the Boeing 737-MAX debacle is hurting the entire 737 brand. Yes, this is idiotic, but facts are less important here than perception.

People are going to be afraid to fly on 737NGs even though they have something like 25 years of reliable service history.

If it decreases demand on WN to the point where I can reliably get a full row to myself on every flight, then bring on the paranoia. :yes:

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:31 am
by jumpseat67
B737Captain1980 wrote:
[quote=The media has gotten so bad and wrecklace at reporting for the sake of ratings that we almost need something to put them in check on the impact their bad reporting has on industries and people’s livelihood. Irony is the media’s purpose was just for that reason, looks as if they now need some check and balance system


wrecklace?

RECK-LESS
adjective
(of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.

...more of my favorites below and I am far from an English major.

-LOSE
verb
verb: lose; 3rd person present: loses; past tense: lost; past participle: lost; gerund or present participle: losing

-LOOSE
adjective
adjective: loose; comparative adjective: looser; superlative adjective: loosest

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:39 am
by sciing
Jetty wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
Max 8 is newer version of the 737-800, but the reverse is not true

:? This needs some explaining. Newer versus older are two sides of the same coin. What else in the world is newer where the item that’s compared with isn’t older at the same time?

Bingo, there is nothing to explain. Sometimes you just need to write an argument clearly down to see how stupid it is!
So to say it is the older version might be unusual, there might be a stupid implication if used in a report about an incident, but it is not wrong.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 am
by Aesma
PC12Fan wrote:
You said it yourself - ambiguous. In this case, very ambiguous.

It's like comparing a 1999 Corvette to a 2019 Corvette.

Yet another case of media sensationalism.


Actually there isn't a single common part between a 1999 'vette and a 2019 one.

There are thousands of common parts between the 737NG and the Max, many more than those that differ.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 am
by questions
jumpseat67 wrote:
B737Captain1980 wrote:
[quote=The media has gotten so bad and wrecklace at reporting for the sake of ratings that we almost need something to put them in check on the impact their bad reporting has on industries and people’s livelihood. Irony is the media’s purpose was just for that reason, looks as if they now need some check and balance system


wrecklace?

RECK-LESS
adjective
(of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.

...more of my favorites below and I am far from an English major.

-LOSE
verb
verb: lose; 3rd person present: loses; past tense: lost; past participle: lost; gerund or present participle: losing

-LOOSE
adjective
adjective: loose; comparative adjective: looser; superlative adjective: loosest


Thanks!

I stopped reading at “has gotten.” While grammatically correct it is like finger nails on a chalk board to me and I know I do not want to continue reading. I was so glad to move on from AOL... You’ve got mail! You have got mail? Ugh!

Back to the topic... the statement is correct in that the DL aircraft involved is an earlier generation (than the Max) of the 737. However it is poorly presented, leading some to believe there are more issues with the thousands of 737’s flying, regardless of model and generation.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:03 am
by AirlineCritic
DocLightning wrote:
What is relevant here is that the Boeing 737-MAX debacle is hurting the entire 737 brand. Yes, this is idiotic, but facts are less important here than perception.


The journalists were to begin with, correct. And they chose to explain to their readers how this particular plane relates to the most well known Boeing brand at the moment, the MAX.

Nothing wrong with that.

But, it shows that you are right DocLightning. The idiotic part is where you start to fear that an entirely MAX-only thing will affect other aircraft. But it also shows that Boeing would better either get ahead of themselves in showing their safety culture and aircraft perfection. In a very visible way, not as in explaining issues away or not admitting problems. Or be prepared to ditch the MAX brand name. Or both.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:18 am
by chiad
What ...?!?
The Boeing 737-800 IS an older version of MAX!!!

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 am
by SierraPacific
This is what you call a perfect time for a rebrand. I think that the article is technically correct (the best type of correct) since the 737-800 is an older model of the 737.

The MAX is damaged goods and needs to be repackaged with a new name and change of leadership at Boeing in order to brush this under the rug as quickly as possible.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 am
by Aceskywalker
Semantics aside the entire 737 brand is in the mud. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a good amount of the flying public who outright refuse to get on ANY 737 because of perceived safety issues. Boeing and heavy 737 operators are going to have a lot of PR work to do. Wouldn't be surprised if WN caves to pressure to diversify.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 am
by YellowJ
Aesma wrote:
PC12Fan wrote:
You said it yourself - ambiguous. In this case, very ambiguous.

It's like comparing a 1999 Corvette to a 2019 Corvette.

Yet another case of media sensationalism.


Actually there isn't a single common part between a 1999 'vette and a 2019 one.

There are thousands of common parts between the 737NG and the Max, many more than those that differ.


Thousands of common parts except the main culprit in the MAX crashes. Hence zero need for the MAX to be brought up unless you were aiming for click-bait, as the author undoubtedly was.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 am
by scbriml
There's some serious mental gymnastics going on here. I needed a laugh this morning, thanks. :lol:

LDRA wrote:
The statement is surprisingly correct...


:checkmark:

PC12Fan wrote:
It's like comparing a 1999 Corvette to a 2019 Corvette.


In what way isn't a 1999 Corvette an older version of a 2019 Corvette? :scratchchin:

yonahleung wrote:
If the 737-800 is not an older version of the MAX then why is there any grandfathering in certification? What's wrong with you guys?


I'm a younger version of my grandfather, but apparently, he isn't an older version of me! :D

precure787 wrote:
The A320NEO is basically a newer version of the A320, which is true because it gets a newer engine for efficiency. However, a 737-800 being the older version of the MAX is untrue, as it would've scared airlines into grounding the NG's as well.


Spaghetti logic. :spin:

Bobloblaw wrote:
Max 8 is newer version of the 737-800, but the reverse is not true


Are you a lawyer by any chance? :rotfl:

Jetty wrote:
Newer versus older are two sides of the same coin. What else in the world is newer where the item that’s compared with isn’t older at the same time?


Sometimes something is just so obvious....

sciing wrote:
Bingo, there is nothing to explain. Sometimes you just need to write an argument clearly down to see how stupid it is!


Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

chiad wrote:
What ...?!?
The Boeing 737-800 IS an older version of MAX!!!


You may thing that, but I couldn't possibly comment!

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 am
by AirwayBill
There is something I find particularly hilarious and that is common to most specialized fields I know of: it's the people who get triggered at journalist inaccuracies and oversights.

Another field where people are that touchy is astronomy, with amateur/confirmed astronomers regularly making a big fuss about clickbait headlines or simply erronous content.

No need to play smart, what do you expect from journalists anyways? Besides the statement here is factually not incorrect at all.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 am
by Ertro
I was so looking forward to flying in the A320NEO, but for some reason the flight was operated with the older version of the NEO, the A320, and I was so disappointed.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 am
by scbriml
Ertro wrote:
I was so looking forward to flying in the A320NEO, but for some reason the flight was operated with the older version of the NEO, the A320, and I was so disappointed.


Image

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:18 am
by bgm
Wow, the mental gymnastics on this thread are really something. :rotfl:

The 737NG IS an older version of the 737 MAX. This is exactly why Boeing got into this mess by quite literally pimping their 737 to the max.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:08 am
by filipinoavgeek
bgm wrote:
Wow, the mental gymnastics on this thread are really something. :rotfl:

The 737NG IS an older version of the 737 MAX. This is exactly why Boeing got into this mess by quite literally pimping their 737 to the max.


And yet rarely is it ever brought up these days that the A320 and A330 are older versions of the A320neo and A330neo respectively, or how the 717 is the ultimate development of the DC-9, or how the 777X is basically a stretched 777 with newer engines and wing, or how the 747-400 is a new 747, or how the MD-11 is just a glorified DC-10-MAX :roll:

It's really strange that, even before the crashes, it was always the 737 MAX that got the bulk of criticism while the A320neo barely got any negativity at all. Yeah older original airframe (737 was 1960s and A320 was 1980s yada-yada-yada), but the 717 (and by extension the MD-80 and MD-90) were also extensions of ancient airframes but if anything A.net seemed to love (loved?) the 717.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 am
by bgm
filipinoavgeek wrote:
bgm wrote:
Wow, the mental gymnastics on this thread are really something. :rotfl:

The 737NG IS an older version of the 737 MAX. This is exactly why Boeing got into this mess by quite literally pimping their 737 to the max.


And yet rarely is it ever brought up these days that the A320 and A330 are older versions of the A320neo and A330neo respectively, or how the 717 is the ultimate development of the DC-9, or how the 777X is basically a stretched 777 with newer engines and wing, or how the 747-400 is a new 747, or how the MD-11 is just a glorified DC-10-MAX :roll:


Have you been living under a rock? It's well known that the above are all updates of older generation aircraft. Nobody is disputing that. It's just there are some posters who are in complete denial that the 737NG and MAX are different variants of the same plane.

I'd much rather fly on the 'older' 737NG than the MAX, given that it doesn't have hazardous undisclosed systems installed and has a good proven track record for the past 20 years (minus the excessive runway overruns).

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:23 am
by JibberJim
It is slightly unusual language, I'd say the normal usage for a news item that relates (the thing everyone will know about) to (the thing we're talking about) here would be previous. "The plane was the previous version of the Boeing 737-Max", as that does describe the slight nuance of older in the case of something that changes, but it's certainly not incorrect, and it is information that a news article should be providing for the audience.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 am
by mr02
TVNWZ wrote:
Lol..most of the debate here is how Boeing May have screwed up by hanging new, big engines on an old design instead of a clean sheet design. So, depending on your side of the argument, it is an older version of the Max.

A clean sheet design would mean billions of dollars of development and type certification,so Boeing went the cheapest way and lifted the engines,saw it affected the aerodynamics which made the nose lift up and bandaged the MCAS on.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 am
by asdf
Bobloblaw wrote:
Max 8 is newer version of the 737-800, but the reverse is not true


nice try

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am
by TTailedTiger
chiad wrote:
What ...?!?
The Boeing 737-800 IS an older version of MAX!!!


No, it isn't. The 737NG is the third generation of the 737.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am
by TTailedTiger
bgm wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
bgm wrote:
Wow, the mental gymnastics on this thread are really something. :rotfl:

The 737NG IS an older version of the 737 MAX. This is exactly why Boeing got into this mess by quite literally pimping their 737 to the max.


And yet rarely is it ever brought up these days that the A320 and A330 are older versions of the A320neo and A330neo respectively, or how the 717 is the ultimate development of the DC-9, or how the 777X is basically a stretched 777 with newer engines and wing, or how the 747-400 is a new 747, or how the MD-11 is just a glorified DC-10-MAX :roll:


Have you been living under a rock? It's well known that the above are all updates of older generation aircraft. Nobody is disputing that. It's just there are some posters who are in complete denial that the 737NG and MAX are different variants of the same plane.

I'd much rather fly on the 'older' 737NG than the MAX, given that it doesn't have hazardous undisclosed systems installed and has a good proven track record for the past 20 years (minus the excessive runway overruns).


You are blaming the 737NG for going off the runway? The pilots are just along for the ride? I think you've read Stephen King's 'Christine' one too many times.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:18 am
by Dutchy
TTailedTiger wrote:
bgm wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:

And yet rarely is it ever brought up these days that the A320 and A330 are older versions of the A320neo and A330neo respectively, or how the 717 is the ultimate development of the DC-9, or how the 777X is basically a stretched 777 with newer engines and wing, or how the 747-400 is a new 747, or how the MD-11 is just a glorified DC-10-MAX :roll:


Have you been living under a rock? It's well known that the above are all updates of older generation aircraft. Nobody is disputing that. It's just there are some posters who are in complete denial that the 737NG and MAX are different variants of the same plane.

I'd much rather fly on the 'older' 737NG than the MAX, given that it doesn't have hazardous undisclosed systems installed and has a good proven track record for the past 20 years (minus the excessive runway overruns).


You are blaming the 737NG for going off the runway? The pilots are just along for the ride? I think you've read Stephen King's 'Christine' one too many times.


I think he meant to say that the 737NG has more runway overruns than other planes, if everything else is equal. So apparently it is more prone to such incidents and that indeed has something to do with the 737NG.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 am
by TTailedTiger
Dutchy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
bgm wrote:

Have you been living under a rock? It's well known that the above are all updates of older generation aircraft. Nobody is disputing that. It's just there are some posters who are in complete denial that the 737NG and MAX are different variants of the same plane.

I'd much rather fly on the 'older' 737NG than the MAX, given that it doesn't have hazardous undisclosed systems installed and has a good proven track record for the past 20 years (minus the excessive runway overruns).


You are blaming the 737NG for going off the runway? The pilots are just along for the ride? I think you've read Stephen King's 'Christine' one too many times.


I think he meant to say that the 737NG has more runway overruns than other planes, if everything else is equal. So apparently it is more prone to such incidents and that indeed has something to do with the 737NG.


I have yet to see an investigation report that blamed the 737NG's design in a runway excursion. If the pilots don't pay attention to the nuances of the aircraft and fly it outside of parameters or don't follow procedures then that's their fault.

If I try and go offroading in a Toyota Corolla should I blame the car when things go south?

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 am
by bgm
Dutchy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
bgm wrote:

Have you been living under a rock? It's well known that the above are all updates of older generation aircraft. Nobody is disputing that. It's just there are some posters who are in complete denial that the 737NG and MAX are different variants of the same plane.

I'd much rather fly on the 'older' 737NG than the MAX, given that it doesn't have hazardous undisclosed systems installed and has a good proven track record for the past 20 years (minus the excessive runway overruns).


You are blaming the 737NG for going off the runway? The pilots are just along for the ride? I think you've read Stephen King's 'Christine' one too many times.


I think he meant to say that the 737NG has more runway overruns than other planes, if everything else is equal. So apparently it is more prone to such incidents and that indeed has something to do with the 737NG.


Much higher approach speeds combined with less flare capability due to risk of tailstrike, especially with the 800/900 leave little room for error. Combine that with a wet runway and a tailwind and you've got your overrun pretty much set.

The achilles heel of the 737 has always been its stubby little landing gear which was designed to give enough clearance for the old PW JT8Ds. That's why you have the risk of tail strike, that's why CFM had to deform their engines to make them fit, and that's why with the MAX they had to move them forward. Next up will be the telescopic landing gear with the -10. What could possibly go wrong? :boggled:

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:35 am
by TTailedTiger
bgm wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You are blaming the 737NG for going off the runway? The pilots are just along for the ride? I think you've read Stephen King's 'Christine' one too many times.


I think he meant to say that the 737NG has more runway overruns than other planes, if everything else is equal. So apparently it is more prone to such incidents and that indeed has something to do with the 737NG.


Much higher approach speeds combined with less flare capability due to risk of tailstrike, especially with the 800/900 leave little room for error. Combine that with a wet runway and a tailwind and you've got your overrun pretty much set.

The achilles heel of the 737 has always been its stubby little landing gear which was designed to give enough clearance for the old PW JT8Ds. That's why you have the risk of tail strike, that's why CFM had to deform their engines to make them fit, and that's why with the MAX they had to move them forward. Next up will be the telescopic landing gear with the -10. What could possibly go wrong? :boggled:


That's why as a private pilot I was taught not to land in a tailwind... Unfortunately no one wants to take responsibility for their actions these days. Pilots included.

Re: Business insider: Boeing 737-800 is “older version of MAX”

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 am
by jomur
precure787 wrote:
The A320NEO is basically a newer version of the A320, which is true because it gets a newer engine for efficiency. However, a 737-800 being the older version of the MAX is untrue, as it would've scared airlines into grounding the NG's as well. The fact is, the older 737s are NOT installed with MCAS, as the engines on the older variants are lighter than that of the LEAP-1B.


So the 737 Max is a completely new model then?
If they said the 737MAX is a newer version of the 737 would you have still said its wrong?. I thought the MAX was an updated version of the NG not an updated version of a completely different aircraft.
The MAX was supposed to be an improvement of the NG not a new design hence why all the grandfathering and not having to do a complete certification programme.

I can buy 2 same year model cars but have different engines but they are both the same model range.