Longhornmaniac

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

impilot wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Captains don't make 6 figures in 12 months. More like 65k.

You're seriously uninformed in you think rj captains make 6 figures.

That's not remotely true. At my regional, upgrades are around 2 years right now. A captain on year 3 pay will be making in excess of $90/hr, and it will be over $95/hr on Jan 1. The top of our pay scale is like $150/hr.

You definitely don't seem to understand the difference between a block hour and a credit hour. I'm deadheading back to base on Friday morning. I'm getting paid 4.2 hours for that, and not blocking anything. In fact, I'm going to just go home instead of back to base.

It's not at all uncommon for people to credit 90+ hours a month, but perhaps only actually block 50-60.

As a matter of fact, I expect to make more than 65K as a first year FO, between salary, per diem, and bonuses.

Your information seems to be about 5 years old.

What regional tops out at $150/hr? Looking at the top regional pay scales I don’t see it.

My mistake. Republic tops out at $140/hr starting next year. Currently $136/hr.
Cheers,
Cameron

77H

Thu May 16, 2019 9:19 pm

usxguy wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
I love how management throws out pilot shortage as the excuse for bad management. I personally have never seen an airline have an honest to god pilot shortage but rather management creating an environment nobody wants to work in.

Every single small airline is having an honest to god pilot shortage rn.

Uh. I beg to differ. Mokulele Airlines has NEVER had to cancel a flight due to lack of crew** (except for the super rare exceptions of sick calls and they can't reposition someone in time). And they were the first Caravan operator to require *2 pilots*... And they operate 110 flights a day, so no small operation at all.

We used to have HUNDREDS of qualified pilots waiting in the pool to get hired. And many actually flow over to captain rather than jump ship once they hit 1500 hours. MW isn't known for high pay either. But, treat your staff right, they treat you right.

I looked at finishing my commercial and applying to MW about 5-6 years ago right out of college. I was shocked to learn just how little FOs make at MW, especially considering HI’s high cost of living. I was about to bite the bullet and press on with it when I landed a management gig at one of the majors. It’s not flying but it affords me a much more comfortable lifestyle.

Do many of MW’s FOs have second jobs ?

77H

Wingtips56

Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Anyway ..... back to topic. Is Via done?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 am

Wingtips56 wrote:

No planes off the ground in over a day.

Seems all operations have been suspended.
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

USPIT10L

Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

If that's the case, why is their website still up and running?
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

N383SW

Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 am

[photoid][/photoid]
USPIT10L wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

If that's the case, why is their website still up and running?

Since you brought that up it peaked my interest to go and have a look. While browsing their site I clicked on the “work with us” and scrolling down it says “with one of the highest on-time departure rates” and in the next paragraph goes on to say “carrying one of the highest reliability and dispatch percentages in the country”. I mean ummm uhhhh in what galaxy?!?

usxguy

Fri May 17, 2019 3:57 am

77H wrote:
usxguy wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Every single small airline is having an honest to god pilot shortage rn.

Uh. I beg to differ. Mokulele Airlines has NEVER had to cancel a flight due to lack of crew** (except for the super rare exceptions of sick calls and they can't reposition someone in time). And they were the first Caravan operator to require *2 pilots*... And they operate 110 flights a day, so no small operation at all.

We used to have HUNDREDS of qualified pilots waiting in the pool to get hired. And many actually flow over to captain rather than jump ship once they hit 1500 hours. MW isn't known for high pay either. But, treat your staff right, they treat you right.

I looked at finishing my commercial and applying to MW about 5-6 years ago right out of college. I was shocked to learn just how little FOs make at MW, especially considering HI’s high cost of living. I was about to bite the bullet and press on with it when I landed a management gig at one of the majors. It’s not flying but it affords me a much more comfortable lifestyle.

77H

Some work "light" part time jobs. But the airline has never been in short supply of crews & applicants. MW was the first Part 135 to require dual crew, and the SICs were able to log all their time. The regionals loved MW crews because they were taught true CRM out the door, and of course good stick & rudder skills.

Back to VIA - will be a shame if they have shut down. But haven't they been a mess for a few years now? Like 3 or 4? (and why is it that all 50-seat charter operators are uh, mismanaged..)
xx

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 pm

usxguy wrote:
77H wrote:
usxguy wrote:

77H

Some work "light" part time jobs. But the airline has never been in short supply of crews & applicants. MW was the first Part 135 to require dual crew, and the SICs were able to log all their time. The regionals loved MW crews because they were taught true CRM out the door, and of course good stick & rudder skills.

Back to VIA - will be a shame if they have shut down. But haven't they been a mess for a few years now? Like 3 or 4? (and why is it that all 50-seat charter operators are uh, mismanaged..)

Well, if pilots were really the issue, then the airline would just have slight cuts. But, this is not the case. It has been many days since the last commercial flight (May 11?). Their so-called focus city in Pittsburgh has not had a flight in almost two weeks. Same applies in BHM, where their flights have all been cancelled/suspended for two weeks.
AUS has not had a flight in 3 days, and I think that flight was a charter.
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

Varsity1

Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
impilot wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

That's not remotely true. At my regional, upgrades are around 2 years right now. A captain on year 3 pay will be making in excess of $90/hr, and it will be over $95/hr on Jan 1. The top of our pay scale is like $150/hr.

You definitely don't seem to understand the difference between a block hour and a credit hour. I'm deadheading back to base on Friday morning. I'm getting paid 4.2 hours for that, and not blocking anything. In fact, I'm going to just go home instead of back to base.

It's not at all uncommon for people to credit 90+ hours a month, but perhaps only actually block 50-60.

As a matter of fact, I expect to make more than 65K as a first year FO, between salary, per diem, and bonuses.

Your information seems to be about 5 years old.

What regional tops out at $150/hr? Looking at the top regional pay scales I don’t see it.

My mistake. Republic tops out at $140/hr starting next year. Currently $136/hr.

Republic, Endeavor and PSA are making OK money. The rest are not.

Most 2-3 year regional captains are less than $70 an hour. Envoy, Expressjet, Skywest.. you name it.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

usxguy

Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Didn't VIA pay to airline folks to/from the plane from their homes -- and not even require pilots to live in base (if base even existed).

I can tell ya that will get expensive, FAST. And airlines don't give waivers and favors to airline staff either when on revenue tickets...
xx

Longhornmaniac

Tue May 21, 2019 12:18 am

I'm hearing that Via has shut down. I had a friend who was going through simulator training for them in Houston and they were all abruptly told to go home today and that the airline was done. I don't have specifics, but I certainly don't think anyone is surprised by this.
Cheers,
Cameron

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
I'm hearing that Via has shut down. I had a friend who was going through simulator training for them in Houston and they were all abruptly told to go home today and that the airline was done. I don't have specifics, but I certainly don't think anyone is surprised by this.

It appears so. Nothing commercial in almost three days.

Hopefully your friend will be able to find a job with a different carrier.

rajincajun01

Tue May 21, 2019 3:40 pm

They are still tweeting this morning. Asked if they’re still operating and got blocked. Somebody is a bit sensitive.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

jonnyclam123

Tue May 21, 2019 4:10 pm

They are still selling tickets on there website.

tcfc424

Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm not a lawyer, but if I didn't know they hadn't flown a flight in a week and booked a ticket for, say tomorrow...wouldn't that be a kind of fraud (representing for sale something you have no ability or anticipation of fulfilling)?

Varsity1

Tue May 21, 2019 5:00 pm

tcfc424 wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but if I didn't know they hadn't flown a flight in a week and booked a ticket for, say tomorrow...wouldn't that be a kind of fraud (representing for sale something you have no ability or anticipation of fulfilling)?

The owners are basically fraudersters.

They sign up for subsidized EAS flying, then cancel the flights to operate the airplanes on sports charters (which pay more).

The whole operation is a fraud.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

crownvic

Tue May 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Via Air has their corporate office right by my home. It is the strangest location because if you travel just half a block passed it, there is a residential area surrounded by beautiful lakefront homes in Maitland Florida. There is a house just several hundred feet away from that office that would sell for well over a million dollars (NOT MINE.. LOL). It just seems so odd for an airline to have its corporate headquarters in a residential part of Orlando nowhere near any airport. You drive around a scenic lake looking at the estate homes, make one turn go up the street 100 feet and there it is VIA AIR slapped on the side of a building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Via+A ... 81.3670474

usxguy

Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm

I think that's where their tour operation used to be based, but they had 2 buildings in Maitland - one by the post office and another just behind it where the execs offices are/were. The owners live in Winter Park.
xx

USPIT10L

Tue May 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Looks like they removed almost all of their Facebook comments from the last few weeks, one person on today's post asked for customer service to call them.....most of the responses are "angry faces".....I wonder why.....something is definitely up.....
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

DesertAir

Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 pm

This is always the problem with start-ups with limited route structures. When something goes wrong they have very little ability or will in some cases. Allegiant has had the same difficulty in some of their stations. It would be better to begin small but reliable and then expand to larger and reliable.

Dazed767

Tue May 21, 2019 9:36 pm

I remember when they had the ERJ's parked at KORL years ago. I wanted to book a flight on the E120 last year but there was never any consistency or they always cancelled.

WA707atMSP

Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

crownvic wrote:
Via Air has their corporate office right by my home. It is the strangest location because if you travel just half a block passed it, there is a residential area surrounded by beautiful lakefront homes in Maitland Florida. There is a house just several hundred feet away from that office that would sell for well over a million dollars (NOT MINE.. LOL). It just seems so odd for an airline to have its corporate headquarters in a residential part of Orlando nowhere near any airport. You drive around a scenic lake looking at the estate homes, make one turn go up the street 100 feet and there it is VIA AIR slapped on the side of a building.

It may be surprising for an airline, but it's not surprising in other industries. Many companies' headquarters are located in places that are just a short drive from where their top executives live, because, like the rest of us, executives hate to be stuck in traffic.

knope2001

Wed May 22, 2019 11:46 am

WA707atMSP wrote:
crownvic wrote:

It may be surprising for an airline, but it's not surprising in other industries. Many companies' headquarters are located in places that are just a short drive from where their top executives live, because, like the rest of us, executives hate to be stuck in traffic.

Kansas City-based Vanguard was headquartered in Overland Park, some 25-30 miles from the airport but in the heart of KC's affluent Johnson County. I'm sure they weren't down there because it was the closest reasonbly-priced office space they found in the metro.

32andBelow

Wed May 22, 2019 2:22 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
crownvic wrote:

If you are the ceo of Via Air are you really an “executive”?

drdisque

Wed May 22, 2019 5:40 pm

E145 flying AUS-DEN-ISN. This is a routing this flight number has flown in the past and is presumably an oil charter.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SRY ... /KAUS/KDEN

I suspect given their financial situation that the company who hired them for the charter is paying the fuel bill directly.

Still, I find it interesting that they're still flying charter flights, yet haven't operated a scheduled flight in 5 days but have made no announcement regarding the scheduled service.

I have noticed that they have at least zeroed out all their flight schedules and inventory on their website, so while the booking engine is still up and running, there's no schedules or inventory in it.

MO11

Wed May 22, 2019 5:46 pm

drdisque wrote:
E145 flying AUS-DEN-ISN. This is a routing this flight number has flown in the past and is presumably an oil charter.

The charter flight numbers are the numeric portion of the N number (N841HK).

Blueknows

Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 am

The end of VIAair begins. From the ashes the Pink Flamingos will take over all there routes

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/05/22/whats-g ... -airlines/

Longhornmaniac

Fri May 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Yep. Got some clarification from my friend and he said that the scheduled 121 ops were being shuttered to focus exclusively on the more lucrative Supplemental 121 ops (ie charters).

With this comes the need for a smaller pilot group, hence the decision to suspend his training midway through.

He was not paid for any of his training.
Cheers,
Cameron

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Blueknows wrote:
The end of VIAair begins. From the ashes the Pink Flamingos will take over all there routes

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/05/22/whats-g ... -airlines/

All via routes cancelled except for Jackson, Miss. to Orlando, Fla.

Looks like PIT has been duped once again.

Following Wednesday’s confirmation that the Florida-based airline has decided to change and return its business model to a charter service (with the exception of offering commercial flights from Jackson, Miss. to Orlando, Fla.), Via Airlines has been next to impossible to get on the phone.

LovePrunesAnet

Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm

they are still selling tickets into the summer for regularly scheduled commercial flights out of Sanford, FL. Maybe other places, too. I just played around with the calendar and a couple cities. Nothing from Austin which looked like a "hub" so who knows.

rajincajun01

Fri May 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Via has been kicked out of AUS effective May 30.

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/stateme ... ermination
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

Blueknows

Fri May 24, 2019 11:04 pm

Dont worry silver is on the way. The pink knight coming to save the day.

jonnyclam123

Sun May 26, 2019 7:36 pm

VC841 AUS-SFB is currently in the air.

RJNUT

Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 pm

jonnyclam123 wrote:

Which has not been one of their scheduled routes, so must be a re-positioning of resources out of AUS as that all concludes May 30th (or , now, probably sooner)

klm617

Mon May 27, 2019 2:17 am

steeler83 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:
Another airline trying to make money flying small jets..

Another airline??? You mean other airlines have tried this -- and failed??? Like who??? ;) ;) ;)

Independent Air
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

rajincajun01

Mon May 27, 2019 3:23 am

RJNUT wrote:
jonnyclam123 wrote:

Which has not been one of their scheduled routes, so must be a re-positioning of resources out of AUS as that all concludes May 30th (or , now, probably sooner)

There is still one ViaAir E145 on the cargo ramp at AUS.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 3:27 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
jonnyclam123 wrote:

I think that one may have been repossessed (unless it’s either n824hk or n841hk)

ctrabs0114

Mon May 27, 2019 7:30 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

I think that one may have been repossessed (unless it’s either n824hk or n841hk)

N841HK was flown from AUS to SFB mid-day Sunday; N824HK flew BED-SFB late Sunday afternoon.

The remaining three 145LRs (registration numbers per PlaneSpotters.net):

N802HK: At SFB since November
N825HK: At AUS since April 12 (per FR24); At TUL since April 12 (per FA).
N838HK: At SFB since May 28, 2018

Suffice to say I don't think they're ever flying under the Via Air banner again.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

lpdal

Mon May 27, 2019 8:32 am

Sad to see another EMB120 operator gone. If they had listed their inventory on MyIDTravel, I would have flown on them just to ride on an EMB120.

Is Southern Airways Express going to go the same way?
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 12:08 pm

lpdal wrote:
Sad to see another EMB120 operator gone. If they had listed their inventory on MyIDTravel, I would have flown on them just to ride on an EMB120.

Is Southern Airways Express going to go the same way?

No, they have plenty of EAS routes to keep them afloat. And, they just acquired Mokulele.

molitvic20

Mon May 27, 2019 2:11 pm

I wonder if Contour would ever be interesting in purchasing Via Air. Just a thought.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 3:19 pm

molitvic20 wrote:
I wonder if Contour would ever be interesting in purchasing Via Air. Just a thought.

How about Midwest buying out Via?

(In their price range, planes are almost 20 years old)

Contour certainly is a possibility.

rajincajun01

Mon May 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
molitvic20 wrote:

What’s the benefit other than a AOC? You can already get RJs dirt cheap. There is zero brand equity. I’m sure the charter contracts could be lured easy. Let them sink.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 6:24 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
molitvic20 wrote:

What’s the benefit other than a AOC? You can already get RJs dirt cheap. There is zero brand equity. I’m sure the charter contracts could be lured easy. Let them sink.

Brand equity does not matter when you have the full intent of rebranding. Two ERJs and an AOC is perfect for Midwest.

MIflyer12

Mon May 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Lots of posts and angst over a pissant carrier. They had, what ten regional aircraft? They are such an outlier that their failure doesn't say much about the state of the domestic industry.

rajincajun01

Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

Brand equity does not matter when you have the full intent of rebranding. Two ERJs and an AOC is perfect for Midwest.

Midwest, yes. I meant in regards to Contour.

sccutler

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:40 am

Welp, I got to fly them once - TUS-AUS, when I needed a non-stop to get met here in time for a meeting; this was last year, April-ish.

Pleasant enough on-board product, flight was about an hour late, but it served the need. I had a helluva time getting an Uber to the goofy-ass "Budget Terminal."

Another questionable idea, poorly executed.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Boof02671

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:36 am

They are done with commercial service.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2019/05/31/via ... r-flights/

sprxUSA

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:07 am

Boof02671 wrote:

What a lousy written article. Seems Beckley moved since it WAS in West Virginia lol.
Not sorry to see it end its fiasco of a scheduled operation.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

What a lousy written article. Seems Beckley moved since it WAS in West Virginia lol.
Not sorry to see it end its fiasco of a scheduled operation.

Not quite...

For now, Via Airlines is returning to the charter business, the sector of the industry the airline has over 20 years of experience with. With one commercial flight scheduled to continue, it’s uncertain if the airline has any future plans to reinstate any other scheduled commercial flights.

Well, um... maybe not?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SRY3115

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos