Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richierich

Re: What (Not) to Say When Interviewing to Be a Flight Attendant

Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 pm

I think Enilria's post was general enough to apply to any interview for any position. You always want to sound enthusiastic, you always want to sound like you'll be committed to the organization, and you always want to appear knowledgeable and aware of what you are interviewing for. You never want to come off as sounding non-committal, disingenuous, or unprepared for the role.

Of course, there are other job skills, characteristics and backgrounds that are important. I've never hired FAs, but I would imagine you would want professionals who are safety-conscious, friendly, understand the work, and have the ability to think quickly in a variety of high-stress situations. It's not for everybody.
None shall pass!!!!

9252fly

Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 pm

WNTS: I want to join the Mile-high Club!

dennypayne

Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 pm

9w748capt wrote:
A candidate should be asking half the questions? Is this for real? Who knows, maybe it works this way in other industries. Certainly not mine.

Perhaps not half, but if a person I'm interviewing doesn't ask at least a few insightful questions, I rank them lower than those who do. Good questions show that they are taking an active interest in how they might approach the position.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ARJ AT6/7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 741/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR1/2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L4T M11/80/87/90 SF3 SU9 TU3/TU5 YK2

afcjets

Thu May 16, 2019 12:58 am

There are plenty of flight attendants in the US making six figures by picking up an extra trip or two. Even if they don’t they can make close to it at the top of the pay scale. I wouldn’t exactly call that low paying.

A320FlyGuy

Thu May 16, 2019 2:42 am

spinotter wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
Most of this could not be any more incorrect if you tried.

Leave the interviewing advice to those who know what they are talking about.

Next.

That is a pretty brutal reply. Without any details on why this is so incorrect.

I don't think it's brutal at all - if you get your feelings hurt by a short and to the point reply like that one, how do you function in the real world? This is isn't a Disney forum where everything is sunshine and rainbows.
My other car is an A320-200

jetblueguy22

Thu May 16, 2019 3:17 am

9w748capt wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

This. Those points work for any job interview.

Not necessarily. Showing too much eagerness and excitement is a often a fast track to the discard pile.

Most important, know why you're there. Show you understand the nature of the job description and you're not making it more to be than what's listed in the posting. You're coming in at such and such position and at such and such level in an organization - you're not organically beyond that and don't talk as if you are and don't inquire about topics which will be above your assigned duties.

The reason for your potential hiring is to provide them and the team and the company with a solution to a staffing and performance problem or shortcoming. They want to hear how you are the solution. It's not about being a good fit for you. It's about being a good fit for them and said company achieving the solutions they need.

Hiring managers don't want to hear about your long term plans for the position or for yourself personally or how you wish to grow and move up in the company. Hiring managers don't want to hear how you are coming for their job, they want to see you are a potential piece of their team so as they move up or are afforded opportunities you come with them as part of that team in terms of projects, career advancement, or other opportunities with other companies.

Personal details should be minimal. If you're in the area and looking for work because you've moved back home or you're getting married and relocating to the area, keep the answers there. Trying to leverage a death in the family, a marriage, a graduation, a job loss, or anything else to gain sympathy or favor will most often backfire on you. As a hiring manager, your future wife, husband, or child means jack squat to me and will probably just get in the way of you being 100%.

A job candidate should be asking 40-50% of the questions during the job interview. The interviewer(s) want(s) to be as engaged in the conversation as you are. Eliminate words from the speech such as "like" and "literally" and "uh," etc. etc. Never, ever ever take out your cell phone - turn it off before entering the building, sit up straight in the waiting room, and if you're offered a beverage, take it.

A candidate should be asking half the questions? Is this for real? Who knows, maybe it works this way in other industries. Certainly not mine.

And what if I decline a beverage? I have to pee more when I'm nervous, so why would I want to drink more and potentially have to pee at an inopportune time?

I don't know about asking half the questions, but I want questions from the people I'm interviewing, and generally leave certain details out or adjust scenarios I may be asking specifically because I want to see if they are just taking everything at face value, or want to dig deeper. Professionally, I want someone with attention to detail and at least moderately inquisitive.

I'm not saying asking more questions than 50% will get you the job, or less will disqualify you, but I want to see the person asking something about the job besides paid time off.

OP, you forgot stay off the damn phone. I can't believe this ever has to be said. But out of the 50 or so people I've interviewed, about 10-15% have picked up the phone and made me wait, while looking for me to give them a job. Pass, goodbye.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Super80Fan

Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 am

LOL people are still doing face to face interviews? My last two interviews (and I got the job at both) were done both one portion over the phone and the other over Facetime. The company liked it because it saved them the cost of flying me out/putting me up/transportation and I liked it because I could continue on with my day without having to take a day off for traveling.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos