dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 am

59 years ago today, Lufthansa's first scheduled service from San Francisco International departed, a Boeing 707-430, D-ABOB. One of the longest serving international carriers at SFO and continuously operating under the same name.

Image
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User request
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 am

"Das Wirfschaftwunder kommt an!"

"The economic miracle arrives!"

Fifteen years after the end of World War Two West Germany was flying jets to the America west coast. And they've been in California, without fail, ever since.

How I miss the is-it-purple-or-is-it-blue and yellow colors together...

Does anyone know when LAX service was started?
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
"Das Wirfschaftwunder kommt an!"

"The economic miracle arrives!"

Fifteen years after the end of World War Two West Germany was flying jets to the America west coast. And they've been in California, without fail, ever since.

How I miss the is-it-purple-or-is-it-blue and yellow colors together...

Does anyone know when LAX service was started?


Well, I just looked at timetableimages.com and on a 1966 timetable they don't list LAX as a destination but they do on a 1968 one, but they seem to be on AF metal, then in 1970 they already fly to LAX with their own metal on the LAX-YUL-LHR-FRA or LAX-YUL-AMS-FRA, 3x weekly. So I'd say sometime between 1968-1970.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
jfk777
Posts: 6965
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 1:19 am

Great that Lufthansa has been flying to SFO for nearly 60 years. LH started in the northern cities of both coasts and Chicago before they flew to the south in the late 1970's and 1980's. Miami was first served in 1978 with a DC-10-30, Atlanta and Charlotte in the 1980's. DFW and Houston were first flown around that time too. Lufthansa and its group airlines today fly to all corners of America, SWISS 777's are my favorite with those red billboard letters. SWISS is the most profitable LH group airline too. Cheers !!
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 am

dcajet wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
"Das Wirfschaftwunder kommt an!"

"The economic miracle arrives!"

Fifteen years after the end of World War Two West Germany was flying jets to the America west coast. And they've been in California, without fail, ever since.

How I miss the is-it-purple-or-is-it-blue and yellow colors together...

Does anyone know when LAX service was started?


Well, I just looked at timetableimages.com and on a 1966 timetable they don't list LAX as a destination but they do on a 1968 one, but they seem to be on AF metal, then in 1970 they already fly to LAX with their own metal on the LAX-YUL-LHR-FRA or LAX-YUL-AMS-FRA, 3x weekly. So I'd say sometime between 1968-1970.


One of the early scenes in the James Bond movie "Diamonds are Forever", which came out in 1971, shows James Bond (played by Sean Connery) and Tiffany Case (played by Jill St John) flying LH from Amsterdam to Los Angeles. Here's a link to an image of Sean Connery deplaning at LAX, with more information about the flight:

https://jamesbondlocations.blogspot.com ... /Lufthansa
 
User avatar
millionsofmiles
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:18 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 am

The AMS stop on LH’s FRA-LAX route lasted well into the late 70s, even after the route transitioned to a 747.
 
777-500er
Posts: 493
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 1999 11:43 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 2:08 am

LH only started flying nonstop to SFO in 1979. Where did they stop before?
 
910A
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 am

777-500er wrote:
LH only started flying nonstop to SFO in 1979. Where did they stop before?

As I recall, the stops in 1960 was Montreal (Dorval) and Paris (Orly).
 
910A
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 am

jfk777 wrote:
Great that Lufthansa has been flying to SFO for nearly 60 years.

LH didn't fly to SFO in early 70's. Before they resumed in 1979 (?) the fights were via Condor a couple times a week.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6257
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 am

dcajet wrote:
59 years ago today, Lufthansa's first scheduled service from San Francisco International departed, a Boeing 707-430, D-ABOB. One of the longest serving international carriers at SFO and continuously operating under the same name.

Image


As others have noted, this is not totally correct. LH stopped SFO around 1967-1969 and restarted in 1979 (according to another poster). When I was growing up near SFO, LH didn’t serve it.
 
User avatar
seemyseems
Posts: 423
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:42 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 3:49 am

WA707atMSP wrote:
dcajet wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
"Das Wirfschaftwunder kommt an!"

"The economic miracle arrives!"

Fifteen years after the end of World War Two West Germany was flying jets to the America west coast. And they've been in California, without fail, ever since.

How I miss the is-it-purple-or-is-it-blue and yellow colors together...

Does anyone know when LAX service was started?


Well, I just looked at timetableimages.com and on a 1966 timetable they don't list LAX as a destination but they do on a 1968 one, but they seem to be on AF metal, then in 1970 they already fly to LAX with their own metal on the LAX-YUL-LHR-FRA or LAX-YUL-AMS-FRA, 3x weekly. So I'd say sometime between 1968-1970.


One of the early scenes in the James Bond movie "Diamonds are Forever", which came out in 1971, shows James Bond (played by Sean Connery) and Tiffany Case (played by Jill St John) flying LH from Amsterdam to Los Angeles. Here's a link to an image of Sean Connery deplaning at LAX, with more information about the flight:

https://jamesbondlocations.blogspot.com ... /Lufthansa


When I first saw this post that exact scene came to my mind. A great movie. Also hats off to LH!
seemyseems in ATL
 
Noshow
Posts: 904
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 am

What happened to the paint in the cockpit roof section?
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
dcajet wrote:
59 years ago today, Lufthansa's first scheduled service from San Francisco International departed, a Boeing 707-430, D-ABOB. One of the longest serving international carriers at SFO and continuously operating under the same name.

Image


As others have noted, this is not totally correct. LH stopped SFO around 1967-1969 and restarted in 1979 (according to another poster). When I was growing up near SFO, LH didn’t serve it.


Thanks for the correction. Indeed when looking at timetables from the late 60s, it appears LH swapped LAX for SFO around 1969 or so, only to return to SFO in the late 70s. I had the moderators amend the thread title.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1355
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 pm

And the 59th anniversary is newsworthy why? Looking forward to the 63rd anniversary anyway.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
User avatar
SierraPacific
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
And the 59th anniversary is newsworthy why? Looking forward to the 63rd anniversary anyway.


Because A.Net is an aviation forum right? If it is not a big deal to you then you do not have to look at it.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
The AMS stop on LH’s FRA-LAX route lasted well into the late 70s, even after the route transitioned to a 747.


Why was this, out of curiosity? Anybody know? FRA-LAX is 5806 statue miles per Great Circle Mapper...certainly a 747 could do that, couldn't the preceding 707-330B's? (maybe the 430's couldn't).
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Noshow wrote:
What happened to the paint in the cockpit roof section?


I was wondering the same thing! VERY odd...along with the gray surrounding the lower area of the 1R door.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
dcajet
Topic Author
Posts: 3849
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Wed May 15, 2019 10:42 pm

cathay747 wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
The AMS stop on LH’s FRA-LAX route lasted well into the late 70s, even after the route transitioned to a 747.


Why was this, out of curiosity? Anybody know? FRA-LAX is 5806 statue miles per Great Circle Mapper...certainly a 747 could do that, couldn't the preceding 707-330B's? (maybe the 430's couldn't).


In addition to specific aircraft performance, keep in mind international travel was nowhere near as popular or affordable as it is today; an intercontinental trip was a privilege reserved for a few. Airlines took extensive advantage of 5th freedom rights to serve intermediate points en route in order to fill the planes and make the flights financially acceptable to their bottom line. In this case, LH picked up paxs at FRA, AMS and YUL on the way to either SFO or LAX and vice versa.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
Skywatcher
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 pm

At that time there were no other YUL-California direct flights. As a kid I remember AF (YUL-ORD), BA (YUL-ORD), KL (YUL-IAH), IB (YUL-MEX) and BA (YUL-DTW) as tag ons at various times for flights from Europe as well. Pretty well everything is now non-stop.
 
steveAUS
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:59 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 am

DavidByrne wrote:
And the 59th anniversary is newsworthy why? Looking forward to the 63rd anniversary anyway.



We are vain and we are blind
I hate people when they're not polite
 
earlynff
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:53 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 am

I flew FRA-ORY-YUL-LAX in march 69, return flight LAX-YUL-AMS-FRA in october 69. Destination LAX iso SFO was pretty new at that time, don´t know, when exactly they switched. I don´t believe the service was daily, depending on which day of the week, it was either ORY or AMS on the european side. And, as mentioned before, they had the traffic rights, so they made use of it...
B707-430 to LAX, B707-330 return.
 
earlynff
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:53 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 am

I flew FRA-ORY-YUL-LAX in march 69, return flight LAX-YUL-AMS-FRA in october 69. Destination LAX iso SFO was pretty new at that time, don´t know, when exactly they switched. I don´t believe the service was daily, depending on which day of the week, it was either ORY or AMS on the european side. And, as mentioned before, they had the traffic rights, so they made use of it...
B707-430 to LAX, B707-330 return.
 
earlynff
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:53 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Thu May 16, 2019 1:48 am

sorry for double post.
"You cannot delete posts in this forum."
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations at SFO

Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 am

cathay747 wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
The AMS stop on LH’s FRA-LAX route lasted well into the late 70s, even after the route transitioned to a 747.


Why was this, out of curiosity? Anybody know? FRA-LAX is 5806 statue miles per Great Circle Mapper...certainly a 747 could do that, couldn't the preceding 707-330B's? (maybe the 430's couldn't).


Perhaps, at the time, they had local traffic rights. Anyone know when KLM began LAX service? Maybe they correspond?

dcajet wrote:
In addition to specific aircraft performance, keep in mind international travel was nowhere near as popular or affordable as it is today; an intercontinental trip was a privilege reserved for a few. Airlines took extensive advantage of 5th freedom rights to serve intermediate points en route in order to fill the planes and make the flights financially acceptable to their bottom line. In this case, LH picked up paxs at FRA, AMS and YUL on the way to either SFO or LAX and vice versa.


Actually, I can speak to this: one of my most treasured possessions is a Lufthansa Summer 1988 timetable, and it lists two daily flights from LAX to FRA; one is a daily non-stop 747 and the other a twice-a-week non-stop DC-10 LAX-FRA but alternating stops (depending on the day of the week) between YUL and BOS. It even specifically mentions that there is no local traffic carried on either flight.

Until the mid-1980's, the number one and number two choices for most Americans flying to Europe were Pan Am and TWA.
 
User avatar
Coronado990
Posts: 1401
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

Re: 59 years of Lufthansa operations in California

Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 am

I was too young to remember taking this flight in 1961 but I do remember our 1964 trip. The first leg was on a WA Electra SAN-LGB-SFO and connected to LH SFO-YUL-ORY-FRA. The return was FRA-LHR-YUL-ORD and our connecting flight was the speedy Convair 990 from ORD-SAN on AA. Been hooked on aviation ever since!
We're up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos