DLX737200
Topic Author

Airlines of Canada

Wed May 15, 2019 7:10 am

Hello all,

I recently visited CYYZ and the nation of Canada for the first time a few weeks ago and now I'm really interested in all things Canadian aviation.

In my years of spotting and visiting airports, I've seen several Canadian carriers that no longer exist. And recent news of Air Transat looking for a buyer and WestJet getting purchased by an investment firm got me thinking more about this subject.

It seems like airlines in Canada come and go often, with the exception of Air Canada. When I think back to airlines like Canadian, Skyservice, CanJet, Royal, Canada 3000, Harmony, Jetsgo, Zip and Zoom, I'm amazing how none of these are around today. It seems like today the big players are Air Canada, WestJet, Air Transat, Flair Air and Sunwing? How many planes do these airlines lease for extra lift during the peak travel season? I'd love to start an open discussion about the airlines (past and present) of Canada.

smallmj

Re: Airlines of Canada

Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 pm

I don't think there is any seasonal leasing for most airlines under normal circumstances. The MAX mess means that some airlines are doing some leasing for now. The fleets for Air Canada, Westjet, and Porter are usually fairly stable. They schedule their maintenance for the slower times of year.

Sunwing is partially owned by TUI, and they do trade planes and crews seasonally. Sunwing has much higher traffic in the winter, as they mostly take customers to Caribbean resorts on all inclusive vacations.

I don't know what Transat does to adjust for seasonal variations.

As for defunct Canadian airlines, my first flight was on Eastern Provincial Airways back in the early 80s. It merged with CP which was bought by Pacific Western (along with Nordair) to form Canadian Airlines. Canadian bought Wardair not too long after and was eventually merged in to Air Canada.

Dominion301

Wed May 15, 2019 1:01 pm

DLX737200 wrote:
Hello all,

I recently visited CYYZ and the nation of Canada for the first time a few weeks ago and now I'm really interested in all things Canadian aviation.

In my years of spotting and visiting airports, I've seen several Canadian carriers that no longer exist. And recent news of Air Transat looking for a buyer and WestJet getting purchased by an investment firm got me thinking more about this subject.

It seems like airlines in Canada come and go often, with the exception of Air Canada. When I think back to airlines like Canadian, Skyservice, CanJet, Royal, Canada 3000, Harmony, Jetsgo, Zip and Zoom, I'm amazing how none of these are around today. It seems like today the big players are Air Canada, WestJet, Air Transat, Flair Air and Sunwing? How many planes do these airlines lease for extra lift during the peak travel season? I'd love to start an open discussion about the airlines (past and present) of Canada.

Airlines used to come and go often in Canada. Now things are fairly stable. Flair is the big question mark as to whether they'll be around long-term as a scheduled airline...they were founded 14 years ago. A lot of the niche regionals like Bearskin and Perimeter now have the same owner and don't step on each others' toes.

Even if Transat is sold to someone, like WestJet, I do not see them as an airline disappearing.

Even the First Air-Canadian North merger is far from a guarantee of getting approved, even though in this case, it makes sense to have 1 strong northern airline, rather than two weaker players battling it out for 1/2 million scheduled Northern pax per year.

Skywatcher

Wed May 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Porter comes to mind as a modestly large operation. Air Inuit, Air Creebec, Provincial are some others.

heathrow

Wed May 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Don't forget the northern market! Canadian North which was a branch of Canadian, First Air and Air North of the Yukon!

westaust

Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

smallmj wrote:
I don't know what Transat does to adjust for seasonal variations.

Transat has an agreement with Thomas Cook UK to switch planes during the winter season (Transat send 4x A330 to Thomas Cook in exchange for 10x A321) as both airlines have increased demand for Caribbean destinations

Flyingsottsman

Thu May 16, 2019 10:01 am

I saw a picture of Worldways Canada it was a L1011 at Manchester, where were they based out of, where did they fly to and what happened to them?

SpaceshipDC10

Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
I saw a picture of Worldways Canada it was a L1011 at Manchester, where were they based out of, where did they fly to and what happened to them?

See the building at the back? That's where they were based.

They were a charter airline. More here: viewtopic.php?t=115971

Blueknows

Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 am

JETLINES confirms aircraft on the way for DECEMBER 17 launch. Canadas new ULCC

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetlines ... 00199.html

727LOVER

Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Air Canada buying Air Transat...so one gets bigger...and one goes bye bye
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Dominion301

Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:

See the building at the back? That's where they were based.

They were a charter airline. More here: viewtopic.php?t=115971

What a great shot with DC-8s, L-10s, 727s, a DC-9 and even a J31 visible...not to mention the WD 310.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
What a great shot with DC-8s, L-10s, 727s, a DC-9 and even a J31 visible...not to mention the WD 310.

Indeed. Now it's already 30 years ago, however still finding DC-8-50s in passenger services was not very common then. Here we have CrownAir

The -61 previously served with Minerve...Canada.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos