Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gunnerman
Topic Author

British Airways under fire for offering a new “afternoon tea” that doesn’t come with any tea

Wed May 15, 2019 8:04 pm

BA has been criticised for selling “afternoon tea” on its short-haul flights which doesn't actually include any tea. You can get tea but it costs £2.50 extra.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-afternoon-tea-ba-flights-scone-jam-cream-inflight-meal-a8914691.html

Scarebus34

Re: British Airways under fire for offering a new “afternoon tea” that doesn’t come with any tea

Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm

The solution is quite simple... they will just begin to charge £7.50 for it and include the tea.

Ryga

Re: British Airways under fire for offering a new “afternoon tea” that doesn’t come with any tea

Wed May 15, 2019 9:17 pm

I’ve known a few UK airlines to do this, so this is nothing new...

I mean traditionally “Afternoon Tea” is a “mini meal” in between lunch and dinner. Some people even refer to dinner as tea... So doesn’t necessarily have to include tea...

But we are in a world now, where the slightest inconvenience has to be blown out of proportion.

alan3

Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Not surprising from an airline that now charges for tea, coffee, juice and water on all short haul flights.

You're either an LCC or you're not. Charging for a cup of tea or water means you are the former.

Rant over.

scbriml

Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

#FirstWorldProblems

How will we survive? :crazy:

shamrock350

Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Some parts of the UK refer to dinner or a small meal as "tea" but that's a bit of a stretch in this case as it's just a scone so it's neither, tea or a meal.

Fellow IAG carrier Aer Lingus offers a scone with a hot drink for €5.50 or £4.80 from their own buy on board menu which is arguably better value.

lowfareair

Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Ryga wrote:
I’ve known a few UK airlines to do this, so this is nothing new...

I mean traditionally “Afternoon Tea” is a “mini meal” in between lunch and dinner. Some people even refer to dinner as tea... So doesn’t necessarily have to include tea...

But we are in a world now, where the slightest inconvenience has to be blown out of proportion.

It's a bit pedantic, but they do have a point: While it's a mid-afternoon snack, it generally does come with tea. I'd be surprised to order it and then find out it doesnt.

questions

Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm

How about this BS corporate speak from the article:

British Airways said in a statement: “Whether it’s a traditional cup of tea, our new espresso martini or a bottle of champagne, we offer a wide range of beverages to allow customers to choose which option they pair our popular afternoon tea with.”

Just wow!

Tone deaf and out of touch. This is like the national meal of Britain. How could they get it so wrong?

A much better positioning would be to call it what it IS... Afternoon Scone... as in...

Afternoon Scone An indulgent sultana scone served with traditional clotted cream and delicious strawberry preserve – pair it with the purchase of a traditional cup of tea, our new espresso martini or a bottle of champagne for a full afternoon tea experience.

questions

Wed May 15, 2019 9:55 pm

lowfareair wrote:
It's a bit pedantic, but they do have a point: While it's a mid-afternoon snack, it generally does come with tea. I'd be surprised to order it and then find out it doesnt.

Of course you’d be surprised.

It’s poor marketing and false advertising.

Especially since it’s called Afternoon Tea!!

flilot

Wed May 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Theres a national/regional language barrier here that some people aren't appreciating.
"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition".

YULACYYZ

Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 pm

flilot wrote:
Theres a national/regional language barrier here that some people aren't appreciating.

Been to England many times and heard over and over "time for me tea" but they don't drink tea! Of course it's from Yorkshire and there are regional differences.

However, first thing that comes to mind for most people seeing this ad, is that the tea would be included.

TheLion

Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm

questions wrote:
lowfareair wrote:

Of course you’d be surprised.

It’s poor marketing and false advertising.

Especially since it’s called Afternoon Tea!!

Well said :thumbsup:

usdcaguy

Wed May 15, 2019 10:24 pm

As a BA flyer from the US, I would definitely expect tea with my afternoon “tea”. People are already used to having to pay extra for BA, so anything they advertise should be truthful and not give you the impression you’re flying with Easyjet.

Bricktop

Wed May 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Tea without tea??? I'm sure Brexit will be behind this somehow.

VSMUT

Wed May 15, 2019 11:07 pm

They charge £2,5 for a cup of tea?!?

rta

Wed May 15, 2019 11:08 pm

This is a semantics problem

LMFNINJA

Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 pm

More evidence of the demise of BA under the tutelage of Mr. Cruz.

tonystan

Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 pm

You can tell who’s not British in this thread.

Afternoon Tea is the name of a meal. It doesn’t necessarily mean it comes with a tea beverage. Infact Champagne is actually the most popular drink with afternoon tea amongst the younger generation these days.

This is a bit like complaining that Disney World is not actually a world and being upset that it’s just a patch of swampland in Florida!

GlobalAirways

Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Don't spill the tea!

aeromoe

Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 pm

VSMUT wrote:
They charge £2,5 for a cup of tea?!?

Gotta pay the employees somehow...

LAXdenizen

Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 pm

As a US citizen, it is puzzling to me that BA would sell a product called "Afternoon Tea" sans tea. It's even more head scratching that Britain's flagship carrier - for some people the first impression of Britain - would convolute the most British of traditions.

shamrock350

Wed May 15, 2019 11:41 pm

tonystan wrote:

Afternoon Tea is the name of a meal. It doesn’t necessarily mean it comes with a tea beverage. Infact Champagne is actually the most popular drink with afternoon tea amongst the younger generation these days.

This is a bit like complaining that Disney World is not actually a world and being upset that it’s just a patch of swampland in Florida!

It's still a bit of a stretch. Whether it's meant as a meal or the beverage, this offering from BA is neither, it's a scone for a fiver.

DDR

Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 pm

tonystan wrote:

You can tell who's not informed in this thread.

Orlando is not a patch of swampland in Florida.

sonicruiser

Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 pm

DDR wrote:
You can tell who's not informed in this thread.

Orlando is not a patch of swampland in Florida.

As someone who lives in Orlando :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Miami on the other hand... :stirthepot:
Last edited by sonicruiser on Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gunnerman
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Afternoon tea has always included tea since its introduction in 1840. If any British hotel were to serve afternoon tea without tea they would soon lose customers.

If BA is selling "afternoon tea" for £5 to make it look low-priced, then that's plain stupid.
Last edited by gunnerman on Wed May 15, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAWLGW

Wed May 15, 2019 11:53 pm

If I go into any coffee shop and buy a scone, a cake, and a sandwich, should then I automatically expect a free tea? No! Get a grip!

Pyrex

Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Maybe I should have expected this, but I am still in shock that British Airways charges for tea and water to begin with. US airlines get a lot of crap in this forum, constantly compared negatively to their international competitors, but even notoriously cheap AA would not dream of doing this, even for Economy Zero passengers on a 45 minute shuttle flight.

Pyrex

Wed May 15, 2019 11:58 pm

Maybe I should have expected this, but I am still in shock that British Airways charges for tea and water to begin with. US airlines get a lot of crap in this forum, constantly compared negatively to their international competitors, but even notoriously cheap AA would not dream of doing this, even for Economy Zero passengers on a 45 minute shuttle flight.

VSMUT

Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 am

BAWLGW wrote:
If I go into any coffee shop and buy a scone, a cake, and a sandwich, should then I automatically expect a free tea? No! Get a grip!

All bakeries in my area give free coffee or tea, no purchase required.

Most full price airlines in Europe provide even basic drinks for free, even SAS offers tea and coffee from time to time. BA isn't even close to being the cheapest.

Even low cost budget hotels tend to provide a kettle and some bags of tea and coffee. I have to go down to something like hotelF1 before it isn't provided.

Get a grip maybe?

SheikhDjibouti

Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 am

rta wrote:
Absolutely.

One might even say it is all just a storm in a tea cup....

nycilley02

Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 am

The biggest surprise to me here is that the tea isn't free, regardless of whether you have purchased a scone or not. Does BA really charge for coffee and tea on short haul flights? What exactly do they think their value proposition v. low cost carriers is?

One of the world's great enduring mysteries to me is the snobbery everyone abroad has about domestic US flights. No US major carrier charges for coffee, tea or any other soft drink on any domestic flight. Not even the major LCCs like Southwest and JetBlue. Just saying...

Virtual737

Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 am

I asked for a cake with my afternoon tea but they were all scone.

Bhoy

Thu May 16, 2019 1:13 am

tonystan wrote:

I suspect you'll find that the younger generation prefers Prosecco to Champagne, actually.

Honestly, though, if this is advertised as 'afternoon tea', it should include Tea. Otherwise it's just a scone and jam, and could easily be advertised as such.

9Patch

Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 am

scbriml wrote:
#FirstWorldProblems

How will we survive? :crazy:

Keep calm and carry on.

9Patch

Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
rta wrote:
Absolutely.

One might even say it is all just a storm in a tea cup....

"A tempest in a teacup." Alliteration!

9Patch

Thu May 16, 2019 1:27 am

tonystan wrote:
Infact Champagne is actually the most popular drink with afternoon tea amongst the younger generation these days.

Maybe they should change the name to "Afternoon Champagne."
(But you have to pay extra for the Champagne.)

StuckInCA

Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 am

tonystan wrote:

Except that I haven't flown an airline in quite some time that would charge for a cup of tea. I'll make sure to keep BA on my less preferred list.

9Patch

Thu May 16, 2019 1:33 am

BAWLGW wrote:

In a coffee shop:
If you are purchasing is tea, you should automatically expect tea.
If you are purchasing a scone, you should automatically expect a scone.
If you are purchasing a cake, you should automatically expect a cake.
If you are purchasing a sandwich, you should automatically expect a sandwich.

VSMUT

Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 am

nycilley02 wrote:
The biggest surprise to me here is that the tea isn't free, regardless of whether you have purchased a scone or not. Does BA really charge for coffee and tea on short haul flights? What exactly do they think their value proposition v. low cost carriers is?

One of the world's great enduring mysteries to me is the snobbery everyone abroad has about domestic US flights. No US major carrier charges for coffee, tea or any other soft drink on any domestic flight. Not even the major LCCs like Southwest and JetBlue. Just saying...

It used to be the case. US airlines had outdated cabins, no in flight entertainment, poor service and aggressive cabin crew. With the exception of the latter, they fixed that. European airlines on the other hand took a nose-dive since then. They blame the brutal competition from low cost airlines, but somehow get away with offering practically the same at much higher cost. Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, KLM and Air France are still decent for the time being, but all a far cry from Asian and ME airlines.

shamrock350

Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 am

I'm surprised so many in this thread are shocked that British Airways charge for food and drinks on short haul, I'm guessing most are non Europeans as not only was the move well publicised (and criticised) at the time but it's pretty much the standard within Europe these days, free snacks are becoming the exception rather than the rule.

It's only a matter of time before the remaining legacy carriers of Europe drop their measly offering on short haul and move to a buy on board system as well.

BAWLGW wrote:

When you go into a coffee shop is their scone advertised as 'Afternoon Tea' or is it simply labeled as a scone?

questions

Thu May 16, 2019 3:36 am

tonystan wrote:

Bollocks mate.

Of course Afternoon Tea is a meal. However every Afternoon Tea I have been to the food AND beverage are bundled into the price of the Afternoon Tea. Never have I paid separately for food and beverage. Never.

https://www.dorchestercollection.com/wp-content/uploads/london-the-dorchester-the-promenade-seasonal-afternoon-tea-menu-18apr2019.pdf

http://simonstonehall.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/AFTERNOON-TEA-A4.jpg

http://www.jamesonstearooms.co.uk/sheffield/jamesons-abbeydale-road-menu/trad/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/563161128389684481/

British Airways is offering an Afternoon Scone on the menu and should not be misleading it’s customers.

Pcoder

Thu May 16, 2019 3:52 am

It's poor form from BA. They should have kept basic drinks (Tea, coffee and water) complementary on these flights as it's unlikely to cost that much to provide them and it distinguishes them from the LCCs.

I'm wondering since this transition to LCC on shorthaul, have they been more profitable?

alan3

Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 am

shamrock350 wrote:
I'm surprised so many in this thread are shocked that British Airways charge for food and drinks on short haul, I'm guessing most are non Europeans as not only was the move well publicised (and criticised) at the time but it's pretty much the standard within Europe these days, free snacks are becoming the exception rather than the rule.

Are you sure that is true? Food is one matter, but I am fairly certain that most mainline European carriers like LH, KL, AF, LX, and OS, provide free non-alcoholic beverages like tea, juice and water.

In fact I can't think of another major legacy non-LCC airline IN THE WORLD that charges for a cup of juice or water.

Or am I wrong?

kearnet

Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 am

BAWLGW wrote:

*Channeling Mr. Lucas* No, in that case I'd expect free coffee.

XLA2008

Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 am

BAWLGW wrote:

By official definition “afternoon tea” comes with a cup of tea! Technically it should be tea from India or Ceylon.

If you go into a coffee shop and order a Sandwich then expect a sandwich... if you walk into a coffee shop or traditionally a “Tea Room” and order “Afternoon Tea” then you should expect a cup of tea!

Your username suggests you would of course try to defend BA! Lol

However... British Airways is supposed to represent the country as a nation, the hospitality, culture and traditions I mean goodness they fly with a crest and carry the flag!! For many first time visitors to the UK using British Airways this will be their first experience of the UK, and if a “Very British Airline” does NOT FOLLOW the standard British tradition and chooses to try and rip people off for a few extra £’s for profit then I think everyone has the right to be pretty upset about it. Very disappointing BA, seems as though you are just turning into a glorified Easyjet!

Agrajag

Thu May 16, 2019 5:34 am

You have to pay extra for tea to go with your scone? Is this the AoA disagree warning light all over again? Corporate greed? Will BA be pressured to provide tea as standard?

Do fruit scones produce additional and unwanted lift at high angles of attack? The public need to know and i for one will never fly BA again until the situation is sorted!

Sorry, its early!

StudiodeKadent

Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 am

"Scones with Jam and Clotted Cream" are often referred to as a Devonshire Tea, but I do think that BA is using words somewhat imprecisely here.

Anyway, I think BA should serve complimentary tea on short haul flights, simply as a matter of "this is British Airways so we've got to have something recognizably British about it." So tea.

PatrickZ80

Thu May 16, 2019 6:04 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Some parts of the UK refer to dinner or a small meal as "tea" but that's a bit of a stretch in this case as it's just a scone so it's neither, tea or a meal.

This might be quite understandable for someone from the UK, but for someone who isn't British it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm Dutch myself. If I think of tea, I think of the drink. If anything comes aside with the drink, then that's a nice addition but not the main course. This is true in just about the whole world except for the UK.

Since British Airways is a global airline, they should keep their non-British passengers in mind. They won't understand if they order tea and it doesn't include what they're asking for.

LCY55Approach

Thu May 16, 2019 6:51 am

StudiodeKadent wrote:
"Scones with Jam and Clotted Cream" are often referred to as a Devonshire Tea, but I do think that BA is using words somewhat imprecisely here.

Anyway, I think BA should serve complimentary tea on short haul flights, simply as a matter of "this is British Airways so we've got to have something recognizably British about it." So tea.

Yes, either a "Devon Cream Tea" or a "Cornish Cream Tea" (the difference being whether the jam or the cream go on top of the scone first, but I forget which way round is which).

In fact, I think the bigger issue here - in terms of value for money - is that in virtually any hotel across the UK, when you order an "Afternoon Tea", you will get:

1. A plate of finger sandwiches
2. A round of scones with jam and cream - typically 2 per person
3. Small cakes or patisserie

And of course a pot of tea. And yes, even if you have it with Champagne / Prosecco, you still get the pot of tea. The point being that afternoon tea is actually quite filling, and is rarely followed by dinner, but more likely a light supper much later in the day.

A single scone with jam and cream does not constitute afternoon tea. It is a scone with jam and cream.

BA know this because they serve 'Afternoon Tea' in Club to exactly this specification, although even there the portion sizes are measly.

Arion640

Thu May 16, 2019 7:17 am

YULACYYZ wrote:
flilot wrote:

Been to England many times and heard over and over "time for me tea" but they don't drink tea! Of course it's from Yorkshire and there are regional differences.

However, first thing that comes to mind for most people seeing this ad, is that the tea would be included.

I am from britain and I can ensure you the vast majority of the country drinks tea, as well as a lot of coffee too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos