FTMCPIUS
Topic Author

WN and DFW

Fri May 17, 2019 1:23 am

Has a WN aircraft ever been at DFW for any reason whatsoever?

alggag

Re: WN and DFW

Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 am

Yes. Here's an article on it regarding diversions: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... t-alliance

Similarly, WN occasionally shows up at IAH for diversions or charters.

FTMCPIUS
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2019 1:51 am

alggag wrote:
Yes. Here's an article on it regarding diversions: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... t-alliance

Thanks

catdaddy63

Fri May 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Happens at ORD occasionally as well.

viewtopic.php?t=555055

gdg9

Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 pm

This thread shows up every now and then. Yes, Southwest has flown from DFW a few times. Diversions and an occasional charter.
@dfwtower

727LOVER

Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 pm

alggag wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, WN used to serve IAH
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

AMALH747430

Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm

They sure did. I flew LBB-DAL-IAH round trip back in July of 2004. They had one gate in Terminal A. The only city served from IAH was DAL.

727LOVER wrote:
alggag wrote:

Cubsrule

Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm

I imagine that - like their arrangement with UA at ORD - WN has a deal with somebody at DFW to handle any diversions. I don't know who that somebody is but others might. It's somewhat less of an issue at IAH and DFW than at ORD because HOU and DAL have more runway length than MDW. And at other airports with short runways (LGA, SNA), WN has nearby stations with much longer runways.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

dfwjim1

Fri May 17, 2019 3:21 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
They sure did. I flew LBB-DAL-IAH round trip back in July of 2004. They had one gate in Terminal A. The only city served from IAH was DAL.

727LOVER wrote:
alggag wrote:

I flew WN a couple of times, IAH to DAL, a couple of times in 2003. I wonder if WN will ever come back to IAH with a small batch of flights to DAL, MDW, LAS, MCO...etc?

jplatts

Fri May 17, 2019 3:55 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
AMALH747430 wrote:

727LOVER wrote:

I flew WN a couple of times, IAH to DAL, a couple of times in 2003. I wonder if WN will ever come back to IAH with a small batch of flights to DAL, MDW, LAS, MCO...etc?

If WN did re-enter IAH, WN would probably serve a few destinations outside of Texas such as BWI, MDW, DEN, MSY, and PHX nonstop from IAH. It is also becoming increasing rare for WN to serve only 1 destination nonstop from a domestic station in the contiguous U.S.

dfwjim1

Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 pm

jplatts wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
AMALH747430 wrote:

If WN did re-enter IAH, WN would probably serve a few destinations outside of Texas such as BWI, MDW, DEN, MSY, and PHX nonstop from IAH. It is also becoming increasing rare for WN to serve only 1 destination nonstop from a domestic station in the contiguous U.S.

CRP comes to mind as about the only 1 destination station that I can think of.

sprxUSA

Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 pm

GSP....
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

jplatts

Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:

WN has already announced Saturday-only DAL-CRP nonstop service starting on August 10th.

RIC has daily nonstop service to only ATL on WN, but WN will be operating weekend-only nonstop service to MCO and TPA from RIC starting on August 10th.

PWM currently only has nonstop service to BWI on WN, but WN will be operating seasonal Saturday-only PWM-MDW nonstop service between June 15th and October 5th.

GSP is the only WN station in the contiguous U.S. that has nonstop service to only 1 destination on WN and no nonstop service to any other destinations on WN (even on a Saturday-only or weekend-only basis).

wxtech

Sat May 18, 2019 12:10 am

Cubsrule wrote:
I imagine that - like their arrangement with UA at ORD - WN has a deal with somebody at DFW to handle any diversions. I don't know who that somebody is but others might. It's somewhat less of an issue at IAH and DFW than at ORD because HOU and DAL have more runway length than MDW. And at other airports with short runways (LGA, SNA), WN has nearby stations with much longer runways.

Atlantic Aviation (FBO) at IAH has a deal with WN to handle any diverts. Seen it a few times.

evank516

Sat May 18, 2019 1:07 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

MSP started that way. Was 8x MDW I believe.

Vctony

Sat May 18, 2019 1:19 am

evank516 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

MSP has grown into a decent sized station now.

Chemist

Sat May 18, 2019 1:24 am

A somewhat related question. In LA we have WN at ONT, BUR, LGB, SNA, and LAX. That's the big international airport. Why isn't WN also at ORD or DFW in addition to MDW and DAL? What is different about LA? Are they avoiding a bloodbath at the other two because they just didn't enter quickly enough? They are even at ATL (I know, due to AirTran acquisition).

Ishrion

Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 am

Chemist wrote:
A somewhat related question. In LA we have WN at ONT, BUR, LGB, SNA, and LAX. That's the big international airport. Why isn't WN also at ORD or DFW in addition to MDW and DAL? What is different about LA? Are they avoiding a bloodbath at the other two because they just didn't enter quickly enough? They are even at ATL (I know, due to AirTran acquisition).

For DFW they want to stay at DAL. DFW has offered Southwest to fly there but they declined.

jplatts

Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 am

Ishrion wrote:
Chemist wrote:

For DFW they want to stay at DAL. DFW has offered Southwest to fly there but they declined.

WN insists on serving DAL in the DFW Metroplex since WN has its corporate headquarters at DAL and since WN has always served DAL since it first started operations in 1971.

The 5-party agreement between WN, AA, the DFW International Airport Board, the City of Dallas, and the City of Fort Worth included a provision that would require WN to give up gates at DAL if WN started service out of airports other than DAL in the DFW Metroplex prior to 2025, but this provision can be changed if all 5 parties to this agreement agree to the change in writing.

WN will continue to serve DAL, even if WN does add service to DFW or other airports in the DFW Metroplex, due to historical reasons, the proximity of DAL to Downtown Dallas, and WN having its corporate headquarters at DAL.

swacle

Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 am

Ishrion wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Until 2022, IIRC, if WN starts service to DFW they have to give up gates at DAL. After the Wright Amendment period ends they will be able to move into DFW without losing any real estate at DAL.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32

alggag

Sat May 18, 2019 2:39 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
AMALH747430 wrote:

727LOVER wrote:

As a Houston based WN flyer I would like to see them restore service to IAH but I just don't see it happening. When they announced their intention to start international service from HOU CO/UA (not sure how far along they were then) at the time suggested that they do it from IAH but WN pretty much said that they would never go back. Of course standalone international flights out of IAH would have been an utter failure but that's a different story.

WN's scheduled service out of IAH ended in April 2005 for anyone wondering.

ctrabs0114

Sat May 18, 2019 4:35 am

swacle wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Until 2022, IIRC, if WN starts service to DFW they have to give up gates at DAL. After the Wright Amendment period ends they will be able to move into DFW without losing any real estate at DAL.

The Wright Amendment was formally repealed in 2014, so any after-effects would expire ten years after repeal, which would be 2024.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

evank516

Sat May 18, 2019 5:18 am

Vctony wrote:
evank516 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

MSP has grown into a decent sized station now.

Yes it has, but I remember it being the talk of the town when it started since it was the only new WN station in many years that opened with flights to only one destination.

exFWAOONW

Sat May 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Chemist wrote:

Southwest doesn’t cater to connecting traffic, even in international airports. IINM they still have no inter-line agreement with another airline. They go after O/D traffic. LAX is the top O/D generator in the LA metro and southwest has a very large intra-californication network. That network would have been weakened without LAX. Their intra-Texas network isn’t weakened without DFW as DAL was their focus and HQ. That makes LAX an exception.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

MIflyer12

Sat May 18, 2019 1:46 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Southwest doesn’t cater to connecting traffic, even in international airports. IINM they still have no inter-line agreement with another airline. They go after O/D traffic. LAX is the top O/D generator in the LA metro and southwest has a very large intra-californication network. That network would have been weakened without LAX.

LAX is the top O&D airport in the country, in fact. #2 isn't even close.

One really has to ask how much traffic WN gives up by flying from DAL but not DFW, HOU but not IAH, and MDW but not ORD. Those airport pairs are all pretty proximate - even in rush hour. Lots of WN's SoCal flights are short-haul, meaning a drive to another airport could be a significant component of total travel time.

SWADawg

Sat May 18, 2019 2:59 pm

One of two things will happen in 2024. Either WN will petition for full unrestricted repeal of the Wright Amendment and buildout DAL to the full 40 gate master plan (most likely scenario). Or, they will request 10-15 gates be made available at DFW and split the operation between the two Airports. Option 1 would be better for all parties involved in the Wright Amendment dispute. Option 2 would be suboptimal and probably be difficult for DFW to pull off because of limited gate availability. Make no mistake though, WN will pursue both of these options and make it very difficult for the other counter parties when 2025 rolls around.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

OzarkD9S

Sat May 18, 2019 3:07 pm

SWADawg wrote:

One of two things will happen in 2024. Either WN will petition for full unrestricted repeal of the Wright Amendment and buildout DAL to the full 40 gate master plan (most likely scenario). Or, they will request 10-15 gates be made available at DFW and split the operation between the two Airports. Option 1 would be better for all parties involved in the Wright Amendment dispute. Option 2 would be suboptimal and probably be difficult for DFW to pull off because of limited gate availability. Make no mistake though, WN will pursue both of these options and make it very difficult for the other counter parties when 2025 rolls around.

REMOTE option #3: WN builds a small terminal and FTW and brackets the Metroplex avoiding DFW all together. :stirthepot:
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

SWADawg

Sat May 18, 2019 3:14 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

REMOTE option #3: WN builds a small terminal and FTW and brackets the Metroplex avoiding DFW all together. :stirthepot:

No. Knowing this Company the way I do. Not going to happen most likely. Honestly, the new WN has mostly moved beyond the secondary Airport business model aside from DAL, MDW, and HOU.

OzarkD9S

Sat May 18, 2019 3:25 pm

SWADawg wrote:

No. Knowing this Company the way I do. Not going to happen most likely. Honestly, the new WN has mostly moved beyond the secondary Airport business model aside from DAL, MDW, and HOU.

Well in all seriousness then, how many Fort Worth area pax drive past DFW to fly out of DAL? I've always been curious on that topic. There's the ongoing rumor that Moxy would set up shop at FTW, all rumor of course. Is the D/FW area big enough now to support the global hub at DFW, the national DAL ops by WN and a small Fort Worth focused airport?
Finally headed to DORKFEST! Sept 7, STL-LAX-PHX-STL. :cloudnine:

SWADawg

Sat May 18, 2019 3:32 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Well in all seriousness then, how many Fort Worth area pax drive past DFW to fly out of DAL? I've always been curious on that topic. There's the ongoing rumor that Moxy would set up shop at FTW, all rumor of course. Is the D/FW area big enough now to support the global hub at DFW, the national DAL ops by WN and a small Fort Worth focused airport?

It’s probably big enough. Right now Moxy is just a paper Airline, so we don’t really know how big they would eventually become at FTW. My guess would be that they would start very small there and expand only if there is enough demand.

blueflyer

Sat May 18, 2019 4:57 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Well in all seriousness then, how many Fort Worth area pax drive past DFW to fly out of DAL? I've always been curious on that topic.

Seems like for every flier who says they've never had a reason to drive by DFW on the way to DAL (like me and some of my colleagues), there are other fliers (including colleagues further west) who do.
It seems to be more true for business travelers than leisure travelers actually. If you're a regular flier out-of-town Monday through Thursday and your employer won't pony up for a change-of-flight fee if you get to go home early, Southwest becomes very attractive, even if you have to drive by DFW.

Luckily for me, I get to expense these flight change fees when I incur one.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

blueflyer

Sat May 18, 2019 5:13 pm

SWADawg wrote:
It’s probably big enough. Right now Moxy is just a paper Airline, so we don’t really know how big they would eventually become at FTW.

The problem with FTW is that while they have to appear to be open to scheduled passenger service (they take government money after all), it is not where their focus is. They tore down the passenger terminal to build a new FBO, and they turned the terminal's parking into more apron and hangar space for business jets.

FTW has said that, if need be, they'll build a temporary passenger terminal while they take a few years to consider a long-term option. One of the issues is, where to put that terminal. There is very limited development opportunities or road access West of the airport, none North or South, and the East side is full of FBOs and hangars for GAs and corporate jet. One of the likely and cheapest options would be to relocate GA hangars to the West side, and build the terminal where they used to be, as it would require the least infrastructure build-out, but it would take a while...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

EvanWSFO

Sat May 18, 2019 9:53 pm

It will be a cold day in hell that WN would fly scheduled ops to DFW.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

bob75013

Sat May 18, 2019 11:26 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

Option #4 McKinney - catchment well over a million and adding tens of thousands more every year., plenty of room for a small terminal and parking, lots of affluent business travellers in the catchment area..

I actually believe both #3 and #4 will happen if DAL is not allowed to grow.

Agree with you Evan, no way that WN sets up shot at DFW and pays part of the bill for things that only benefit AA.

AMALH747430

Sun May 19, 2019 1:51 am

SWADawg wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
SWADawg wrote:

I've been a regular WN customer for the late 18 years and I've wondered recently (I know hindsight is 20/20 and WN was a completely different animal in the mid 2000s) if it may have been better for WN to have moved out to DFW in 2004-06 and abandoned Love completely. DL had just closed their hub leaving almost all of Terminal E/4E vacant, save the NW, CO, and remaining DL gates. AA was not in the best financial shape back then and I'm sure DFW would have been more than happy to cut WN a good deal on those gates. WN could have immediately started flying anywhere they wanted to in the country and wouldn't have had to make the cuts to their schedule they had to due to the DAL gate cap to accomplish that. They could have had a DEN type operation at DFW. I know it probably didn't seem to make sense back then, but if they had done that I wonder if they wouldn't be stronger now. The new DAL is a nice facility, but it's bursting at the seams. The lines at the restrooms are comical, there are always long lines at the concessions, and sometimes you have to wait for your gate. I realize that this is a problem at most hubs, but it seems to be worse at DAL. WN can't have the size of operation that a metropolitan area like Dallas-Fort Worth demands at DAL. True, DFW isn't as convenient to downtown, but it's now towards the center of the entire metro area. I think getting their foot in the door then while DFW was desperate for a tenant may have set WN up very nicely to serve the entire region.

I also don't know how well is split operation would work for them. DAL handles a lot of O&D as well as connections. If you split the operation up you don't get that synergy.

jplatts

Sun May 19, 2019 4:23 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
I've been a regular WN customer for the late 18 years and I've wondered recently (I know hindsight is 20/20 and WN was a completely different animal in the mid 2000s) if it may have been better for WN to have moved out to DFW in 2004-06 and abandoned Love completely. DL had just closed their hub leaving almost all of Terminal E/4E vacant, save the NW, CO, and remaining DL gates. AA was not in the best financial shape back then and I'm sure DFW would have been more than happy to cut WN a good deal on those gates. WN could have immediately started flying anywhere they wanted to in the country and wouldn't have had to make the cuts to their schedule they had to due to the DAL gate cap to accomplish that. They could have had a DEN type operation at DFW. I know it probably didn't seem to make sense back then, but if they had done that I wonder if they wouldn't be stronger now. The new DAL is a nice facility, but it's bursting at the seams. The lines at the restrooms are comical, there are always long lines at the concessions, and sometimes you have to wait for your gate. I realize that this is a problem at most hubs, but it seems to be worse at DAL. WN can't have the size of operation that a metropolitan area like Dallas-Fort Worth demands at DAL. True, DFW isn't as convenient to downtown, but it's now towards the center of the entire metro area. I think getting their foot in the door then while DFW was desperate for a tenant may have set WN up very nicely to serve the entire region.

I also don't know how well is split operation would work for them. DAL handles a lot of O&D as well as connections. If you split the operation up you don't get that synergy.

WN is able to make split operations work in the San Francisco Bay Area (OAK/SJC/SFO), Greater Los Angeles (LAX/BUR/SNA/LGB/ONT), Greater Boston (BOS/PVD/MHT), Greater New York City (LGA/EWR/ISP), the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI/DCA/IAD), and South Florida (FLL/PBI). WN also previously had split operations at both HOU and IAH in Greater Houston, but WN pulled out of IAH back in 2005. WN also has focus cities at both OAK and SJC in the San Francisco Bay Area.

WN can probably make a split DAL/DFW operation work in the DFW Metroplex if WN can make split operations work in other large markets in the U.S.

Reasons why WN insisted on remaining at DAL instead of moving over to DFW include the following: (a) WN has always served DAL since beginning operations in 1971, (b) DAL was already familiar to WN's customer base in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana, (c) WN had its corporate headquarters at DAL, and (d) DAL is closer to Downtown Dallas than DFW is.

bob75013

Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 pm

SWADawg wrote:

Why on earth would WN want a 40 gate DAL? It's biggest "hubs" top out at about 250/flights/day. I don't see that changing. It's currently flies 195 flights out of 18.5 gates. IMO WN would be quite happy with another 5-7 gates plus international service. No point in building gates for the competition.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos