L1011dal
Topic Author

DL Future at NRT / DOT Tentatively HND - SEA/PDX/ATL/DTW/HNL

Fri May 17, 2019 2:45 am

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/delt ... nance.html

Under the proposal announced on Thursday, Delta would receive new slots for flights between Haneda and Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, Portland and Honolulu.

What happens to NRT to SIN and MNL long term? Does DL need DOT authorization to fly beyound Tokyo? Can SIN and MNL be moved to HND?

CS300

Re: DL Future at NRT / DOT Tentatively HND - SEA/PDX/ATL/DTW/HNL

Fri May 17, 2019 2:52 am

Great news for DL! Without additional slots, don't think DL can operate HND-SIN/MNL. Either they stay at NRT or they go (like HKG) :(

kavok

Fri May 17, 2019 3:07 am

4 Potential Options:

1- DL flies MNL/SIN nonstop from either LAX, SEA, or DTW. (Not sure how likely that is.)

2- DL flies SIN/MNL from KIX/NGO as onward tags to DL’s existing flights between DTW/SEA and KIX/NGO. (This would require enough Japanese point of sale in KIX/NGO to make it profitable).

3- DL flies them from ICN. (Technically legal to do, but KE would not be too happy about it). Probably routing pax on KE metal is better politically and financially.

4- DL drops MNL/SIN with NRT altogether.

FSDan

Fri May 17, 2019 3:13 am

L1011dal wrote:
What happens to NRT to SIN and MNL long term? Does DL need DOT authorization to fly beyound Tokyo? Can SIN and MNL be moved to HND?

I'd say it's a near certainty that DL will close NRT as a station. I'm not sure how flexible DL's Japan 5th freedom rights are, but perhaps they'd be able to move NRT-MNL to a KIX-MNL tag (SEA-KIX would likely have to become year-round in order for that to work) or to bring back the NGO-MNL tag (a downside of that is that a lot of the Philippines-bound traffic is probably originating from the West Coast)...

Otherwise, it's possible DL would try a nonstop SEA-MNL or LAX-MNL service (LAX-MNL would be doable with a 359; not sure if SEA-MNL would be within the range of a 339, but if it's not I'd say that route's a no go as a 777/359 is probably too big for that market).

I think a nonstop U.S.-SIN flight on DL is quite unlikely. If HKG didn't work from SEA, a SEA-SIN nonstop would definitely be an uphill battle. LAX-SIN probably has the traffic to support a nonstop, but DL has a very limited fleet of ULH aircraft (10 777-200LRs), so the upside of that route would need to outweigh the profit potential of the current 77L routes, and I'm not sure it does.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

jetmechanicdave

Fri May 17, 2019 3:17 am

Topic already being discussed

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1415015
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos