Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA444

Re: 60 Minutes Australia special on 737max

Mon May 20, 2019 9:29 am

The lengths some of you go to defend garbage and mediocrity knows no bounds. This plane is a huge pile of trash and needed to go away a decade ago and be replaced by something new. Boeing has nobody to blame but themselves.

Revelation

Mon May 20, 2019 12:01 pm

bgm wrote:
So, to summarize, you agree that there was nothing in the documentary that was factually incorrect? That was my original question.

Oh, I get it. This about you being right, rather than us having a discussion about the 60 Minutes Australia special on 737max.

bgm wrote:
Please stop trying to shift all the blame onto the dead pilots. It's dishonest, crass, and quite frankly, delusional.

You are so blinded by righteous indignation that you didn't even read what I wrote in this thread less than 24 hours ago:

I don't understand why some think the issue is 100% pilot or 100% manufacturer. Plenty of blame to be shared between the pilots, the airlines, Boeing, the FAA, and the world's other regulators that certify the MAX and license the pilots that fly the MAX. Airbus is also voicing concerns about global pilot training levels. But yes, the bulk of the blame goes to Boeing.

So, you are good at name calling and bad at reading. Congrats and good bye to you.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ewt340

Mon May 20, 2019 2:23 pm

UA444 wrote:
The lengths some of you go to defend garbage and mediocrity knows no bounds. This plane is a huge pile of trash and needed to go away a decade ago and be replaced by something new. Boeing has nobody to blame but themselves.

Watch Out, that kind of logical fact isn't welcomed here. We need to ban you and make sure we defend Boeing at all cost.

SuperGee

Mon May 20, 2019 8:04 pm

The documentary apparently is no longer available (at least at the original link https://youtu.be/QytfYyHmxtc) and I have been unable to find it elsewhere.

smartplane

Mon May 20, 2019 9:15 pm

SuperGee wrote:
The documentary apparently is no longer available (at least at the original link https://youtu.be/QytfYyHmxtc) and I have been unable to find it elsewhere.

Still here, though probably not for long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0VsuzLVjo

peterinlisbon

Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 pm

A lot of people seem to think that Boeing can do no wrong and want to blame what happened on the pilots. The issue is that this plane had a system that the pilots had not even been told about, which was putting in control inputs in the background causing the plane to dive. They only had a few seconds to figure out what was happening and unfortunately, this was not enough. You can't blame them for not knowing what to do when they had never been properly warned about what this system was and how it functioned.

The system also appears to have a fatal flaw, which is that it was hooked up to just one angle of attack sensor, which made it inevitable that sooner or later it would activate out of sequence. I still don't understand how Boeing or the FAA could sign off on that.

NYCDM

Tue May 21, 2019 1:03 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
A lot of people seem to think that Boeing can do no wrong and want to blame what happened on the pilots. The issue is that this plane had a system that the pilots had not even been told about, which was putting in control inputs in the background causing the plane to dive. They only had a few seconds to figure out what was happening and unfortunately, this was not enough. You can't blame them for not knowing what to do when they had never been properly warned about what this system was and how it functioned.

The system also appears to have a fatal flaw, which is that it was hooked up to just one angle of attack sensor, which made it inevitable that sooner or later it would activate out of sequence. I still don't understand how Boeing or the FAA could sign off on that.

THIS! Exactly the point, and 60 Minutes clearly dissected the problem and Boeing’s involvement/decision making. Yes, the music was a bit dramatic (sounded like a Dateline NBC murder show), but IMHO, I found the content to be educational. Definitely learned a few things from the segment I didn’t previously know or fully understand. That’s the whole point right?

mjoelnir

Tue May 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Killing over 300 people is pretty dramatic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos