davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Fly Bosnia

Fri May 17, 2019 8:42 pm

New start-up airline based in Sarajevo in Bosnia-Herzegovina
Their first route was Sarajevo-Kuwait, and they have just announced they will also fly Sarajevo-Riyadh
I imagine based on these 2 routes that the financial backers are based somewhere in the Middle East, but normally investors are more keen on profitability - when an airline is set up because someone is complaining that their local city doesn't get enough flights it's usually a bad omen

So who are all these pax that want to fly between Sarajevo and Kuwait / Saudi Arabia ? Ramadan ends in about 2 weeks time, so Saudi Arabia is clearly not being launched with that in mind (and they would presumably be to Jeddah as well). These 2 routes seem like obvious territory for the likes of Turkish, Pegasus or Qatar, instead of needing their own direct flights. Is there something around work permits / visa that encourages Bosnians to work in Saudi Arabia / Kuwait similiar to Indians, or is there an alternative story behind this ?

uconn99

Re: Fly Bosnia

Fri May 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Besides the religious link, not sure. But I would love to see SJJ get some more routes and see the country rebound to the point where it can join the EU.

Slash787

Fri May 17, 2019 11:20 pm

I was in Mostar 1 month back, very beautiful place. Sadly not that many connections within Europe to Sarajevo and Mostar.

I did saw a billboard in Mostar of a new airline coming up, I forgot the name, I tried to search now but I am not able to find it. But that was based in Mostar and not Sarajevo. I guess cause of the political situation and all its hard to have a profitable airline based there.

Amchi757300

Fri May 17, 2019 11:21 pm

SJJ is known as the jerusalem of europe. Tourism is increasing from the middle east. I think these flights could do well.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat May 18, 2019 12:34 am

SJJ is already very well connected to the big hubs of the Middle East: IST, DOH, and DXB via Turkish, Qatar, and FlyDubai. I would gather that the majority of the travel to SJJ is foreign based, not locally based, given the number of tourists visiting Bosnia from Muslim countries.

As much as I would love to see Sarajevo and Bosnia and all of the former Yugoslavia prosper and flourish with the rest of Europe, I don't see that these could be anything other than scheduled charter-type service. If there were decent numbers on premium fares, Kuwait and Saudia would have begun services on their own.

Blerg

Sat May 18, 2019 9:21 am

This is a joke. Sarajevo doesn't need a carrier to the Middle East, the airport needs to get its act together and make a deal with an LCC the same way Banja Luka and Tuzla did. Ryanair has been a godsent for Banja Luka and generally for northern Republika Srpska.

Mortyman

Sat May 18, 2019 10:21 am

Blerg wrote:
This is a joke. Sarajevo doesn't need a carrier to the Middle East, the airport needs to get its act together and make a deal with an LCC the same way Banja Luka and Tuzla did. Ryanair has been a godsent for Banja Luka and generally for northern Republika Srpska.

well, Sarajevo has Norwegian, Pegasus airlines and Wizzair … wich are all low cost airlines. Not as low cost as Ryanair, but still ...

SCQ83

Sat May 18, 2019 11:07 am

uconn99 wrote:
Besides the religious link, not sure. But I would love to see SJJ get some more routes and see the country rebound to the point where it can join the EU.

Bosnia is a very popular holiday / 2nd home destination for Gulf nationals. So those routes make plenty of sense. flyNas is also starting RUH-SJJ. flyDubai is up to three daily flights in summer. I am more surprised nobody flies JED-SJJ. This could also have Bosnian Umrah pilgrims in addition to Saudi tourists.

I agree with other posters though that Sarajevo has some potential as a city-break destination for Western European tourists. It is quite a quirky and unique city in Europe that now is not that popular compared to other arguably less interesting cities in Eastern Europe / Balkans. SJJ has no flights to the UK, France, Benelux, Italy or Spain! Some flights to London or Paris could easily work IMO.

santi319

Sat May 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Sarajevo is fantastic, wonderful people too, loads of muslim tourists lately... that tend to like to “get loose” in SJJ..

Bosnia overall is a pretty cool country.

Blerg

Sun May 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Blerg wrote:

well, Sarajevo has Norwegian, Pegasus airlines and Wizzair … wich are all low cost airlines. Not as low cost as Ryanair, but still ...

SJJ has only one destination on W6 and it's subsidized by the Hungarians (BUD). As for Norwegian, only one destination has remained operational on a year-round basis, wouldn't really call it a success. Compare SJJ with TZL or BNX and you'll see what I am talking about.

GalebG4

Sun May 19, 2019 8:49 pm

SJJ is land locked by mountains. Without highways and railway with good connections, in theory SJJ should be flourishing.

SeanM1997

Wed May 22, 2019 1:54 pm

FlyBosnia (W6) will launch a new 1x weekly flight between Sarajevo (SJJ) and Gassim (ELQ) from 11 June 2019

SJJ 2200-0325 ELQ (Tue)
ELQ 0420-0750 SJJ (Tue)

Based on the timings, I suspect it has been put into the system incorrectly as the return should come back on the Wednesday

SCQ83

Wed May 22, 2019 2:49 pm

santi319 wrote:
Sarajevo is fantastic, wonderful people too, loads of muslim tourists lately... that tend to like to “get loose” in SJJ.

Sarajevo is more relaxed than other Muslim countries but it is hardly Beirut or Marrakech. It is not a party town.

Bosnia mainly targets Gulf families that are looking for a scape to the infernal summer heat in Dubai, Kuwait or Riyadh.

konkret

Thu May 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Weekly flight to JED announced.

https://www.flybosnia.ba/new-direct-flight

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 pm

Fleet now gone from 2 A319s down to just 1 A319 - one of the aircraft has sent back to the owner, flyng from Sarajevo to Phoenix Goodyear airport in Arizona
Flybosnia seems to be having trouble paying the airport fees due to Sraajevo airport at their home base - SJJ airport is reported to be thinking of revoking the existing contract at the end of 2019

If you want to catch a flight with FlyBosnia, might be worth thinking about doing so sooner rather than later

Vasu

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:21 pm

I saw their plane at LTN the other day - looked a bit exotic in amongst all the Easy and Wizz!

Subwayfan1998

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:49 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Fleet now gone from 2 A319s down to just 1 A319 - one of the aircraft has sent back to the owner, flyng from Sarajevo to Phoenix Goodyear airport in Arizona
Flybosnia seems to be having trouble paying the airport fees due to Sraajevo airport at their home base - SJJ airport is reported to be thinking of revoking the existing contract at the end of 2019

If you want to catch a flight with FlyBosnia, might be worth thinking about doing so sooner rather than later

So the Airplane is going Bankrupt? this is so sad.

Subwayfan1998

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 pm

I Live in a Neighborhood with a largest concentration of Bosnians in NYC, Bosnians are very Nice People and their food is awesome.

AntonioMartin

Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:50 am

SCQ83 wrote:
santi319 wrote:
Sarajevo is fantastic, wonderful people too, loads of muslim tourists lately... that tend to like to “get loose” in SJJ.

Sarajevo is more relaxed than other Muslim countries

Sarajevo...must be a brand new country...... :lol:

Cunard

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:27 am

Subwayfan1998 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

No the Airplane isn't going Bankrupt but the Airline might :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Subwayfan1998

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:55 am

Cunard wrote:
Subwayfan1998 wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

No the Airplane isn't going Bankrupt but the Airline might :-)

That what i was Saying.

Subwayfan1998

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:56 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Sarajevo is a City not a Country, smh.

Blerg

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:02 am

Air Bosnia won't last. The whole project is pushed by the Muslim entity of the country in order to promote Sarajevo as a family friendly destination for people in the Middle East. Of course certain people on here only believe you can be a popular tourist destination if you are gay friendly or a party destination which obviously isn't the case.

The main issue here is that these tourists can arrive on scheduled or specially chartered flights from the Middle East. Competition is great (three daily by flydubai in summer) since the market is also large but it's not large enough to sustain a small, local airline. After all, SJJ has had so many failed airlines based there.

On top of that, the federal government of Bosnia has a special tax in SJJ which is used for the development of other airports in the country. Naturally Bosnia being Bosnia, God knows where this money goes in the end. SJJ is too expensive in a market that's absolutely price sensitive. It also doesn't help that the country's population keeps on rapidly declining.

Serbian airport in Banja Luka had a much smarter approach after struggling for many years. They made a deal with Ryanair and their numbers are booming. Last year they had 36.180 passengers While in the first ten months of 2019 they handled 110.569 passengers. This summer Air Serbia introduced charter flights to Antalya after last year's flights to Athens proved to be extremely successful.

The country's other airport in Tuzla has a deal with Wizz Air which has a two plane base there and which handles some 500.000 passengers a year.

By the way, according to the airport, Air Bosnia has amassed debt close to €500.000. After the airport threatened to take them to court the airline responded by claiming they will move their operations either to Tuzla or Mostar. It's a mess, just like the country.

holczakker

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:07 am

They clearly did not calculate with the limited winter demand and SJJ being a crap base (high prices, frequent fog versus low category ILS etc). They fly with 20-30 passengers to Luton. No wonder they can't pay what's due to the airport and already requested SJJ to waive all fees for them for 10 years, otherwise they will consider moving their flights to Mostar and Tuzla. Amateurs.

debonair

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Last week an article was published about FlyBosnia future - like SJJ as a new international hub for UK - Saudia Arabia flights.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/10/24 ... e-service/

Blerg

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:06 pm

debonair wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Last week an article was published about FlyBosnia future - like SJJ as a new international hub for UK - Saudia Arabia flights.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/10/24 ... e-service/

SJJ terminal is tiny with only two airbridges, it's mostly overcrowded and toilets are usually filthy. They desperately need, not a new terminal, but a completely new airport in a brand new location.

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:36 pm

The terrain around Sarajevo has plenty of hills. I doubt Bosnia has the money to build a new airport at a new location far from the city - there are probably higher priorities right now. The new/larger terminal will likely have to suffice

flyfresno

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Sarajevo is one of my favorite cities in Europe. It hasn't really completely recovered after the war, but it’s still a beautiful location with a great little “old town,” good food, and warm, friendly people. It’s so sad to see the corruption and languishing economy, and how many buildings still haven’t been fixed as a result. I don’t usually like to promote “disaster tourism,” but people there really do need the money and are eager to tell their story, so I always suggest visiting and taking a tour from a local who lived through the war. Hopefully, the word will get out that it’s a very unique destination and more will visit...

Blerg

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:01 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
The terrain around Sarajevo has plenty of hills. I doubt Bosnia has the money to build a new airport at a new location far from the city - there are probably higher priorities right now. The new/larger terminal will likely have to suffice

Well a new airport will be good for the local economy. It will make SJJ more accessible as it would be open 24 hours a day, something that is a dream at this point. Aviation is a key factor for any developing nation as it improves its connectivity with the world, something Sarajevo lacks at the moment. Don't forget SJJ isn't even linked with major cities like Rome, Paris or Amsterdam.

Yes, Air Bosnia plans Rome service and it already flies to Luton but I am talking of serious and reliable options.

AntonioMartin

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Subwayfan1998 wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Sarajevo is a City not a Country, smh.

Of course..I was just having a sarcastic laugh, mate... :)

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:08 pm

FlyBosnia seem to be having a few problems...
https://www.exyuaviation.com/2019/11/fl ... rmoil.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos