USAirKid

Re: Rumor: American Airlines To Bring Back Seatback IFEs On Domestic Aircraft

Sat May 18, 2019 5:14 am

I’d actually pay a bit more to be on a flight without IFE. Since the screen is there more people use it, and I find TVs to be awfully distracting.

My preference is the AS solution. Free streaming entertainment, tablet clips, and tablets to rent on flights that are long enough for it to make a difference.

PHLspecial

Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 am

I would be happy if this was true. The transcon flights would be nice with the PTV.

bennett123

Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am

Personally, I tend to look out the windows anyway. This is why I go for the Window seat if possible. You can watch the TV anytime.

For those without a window, without PTV you either need to pay extra to rent a laptop or it means one more thing to lug through security and round the airport.

Furthermore, as pitch gets tighter, that laptop takes a bigger slice of your available space, and people are getting bigger.

intotheair

Sat May 18, 2019 6:15 am

USAirALB wrote:
I think the difference between AA and UA is that pre-merger as part of the transformation to becoming the "new American", AA committed that all new planes would come equipped with PTVs, only for the Parker team to cancel those plans. IIRC the commitment to seatback video was pretty well advertised during the brand relaunch (https://www.ispot.tv/ad/71Qt/american-a ... time-flies). It's easier to attack AA because L-AA fanboys can use the IFE removal as another way to complain about Parker (make no mistake, I am no L-AA fanboy but I do resent the IFE removal decision).

Smisek and now Oscar never made a big IFE announcement like AA did. Sure, they did remove Directv from the 753s and removed the overhead screens on the Domestic 777/319/320, but I think the majority of the 737 fleet that had DirecTv still does.

Interesting, thanks for the context.

Also, UA has been more proactive at removing IFE than a lot of people realize. With regards to the 737 fleet, almost all of the birds delivered after the merger have come without DirecTV, and it’s being phased out as planes have gone in for conversions. UA recently made DirecTV free, and I think that’s partly because there are only about ~200 or so 737s with it left. The eventual plan is to scrap it completely once the contract runs out from what I understand.

Perhaps that’s also why you don’t hear as much griping about it on the UA side — CO/UA’s DirecTV cost a fair amount, and unless if you want to watch news or sports, who really wants to pay to watch TV and not have AVOD?
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

MAH4546

Sat May 18, 2019 6:35 am

phxa340 wrote:
I think that maybe AA has realized that their margins (and profits) are suffering because they thought the consumer wo
uld fly them and pay whatever no matter what their product was. DL offers a better experience product both soft and hard and it shows in the profits. Even AS gives out tablets while AA gets further left behind ... I am more surprised the shareholders haven’t booted Doug Parker from AA yet.

It’s quite shocking that shareholders are still ok with Parker running the show. He has destroyed the airline and the culture, along with the toxic PMUS employees. And it’s not like you can point to great financial performance. You can’t! Their stock is in the dumpster and they don’t make money flying passengers.

I feel terrible for PMAA employees. It was a great airline, and it’s clear they are embarrassed of wat the airline has become and don’t want to be associated with the PMUS employees that have degraded the brand to basement level, right below Spirit.
a.

OzarkD9S

Sat May 18, 2019 7:41 am

I remember these things called "books". Does anyone else?
C'mon BA, bring your tail to STL. :airplane:

OA940

Sat May 18, 2019 7:42 am

April 1st is long gone but this is a better joke than all of them
A350/CSeries = bae

Pellegrine

Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 am

It would be welcome in domestic F which I mainly fly.
oh boy, here we go!!!

chonetsao

Sat May 18, 2019 8:56 am

rbavfan wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
For once, Dougie and Co. thought they figured out Delta's next move, then reacted quickly to announcing plan of removing seatback IFE so that they can claim for once Delta would be following AA. Instead DL laughed at AA and told the whole world that they will be ADDING IFE so passenger can enjoy more of the famous Delta experience.

There must be a panic moment in Phoenix (or Dallas) that how could Dougie and Co. get done by Delta. Dougie and Co. wants to be seen as leaders, and they were doing a terrible job as followers too!

Wow this comment is a stretch. I take it your a DL Fanboy.

No, I am an AA fanboy who is deeply dissatisfied by Doug's management of the merged AA and would like to see out of AA. I am not hiding my dislikes of Doug as everything he has done is wrong in my humble opinion (except the new Flagship lounges and the Premium Economy long haul product).

chonetsao

Sat May 18, 2019 9:00 am

MAH4546 wrote:
phxa340 wrote:
I think that maybe AA has realized that their margins (and profits) are suffering because they thought the consumer wo
uld fly them and pay whatever no matter what their product was. DL offers a better experience product both soft and hard and it shows in the profits. Even AS gives out tablets while AA gets further left behind ... I am more surprised the shareholders haven’t booted Doug Parker from AA yet.

It’s quite shocking that shareholders are still ok with Parker running the show. He has destroyed the airline and the culture, along with the toxic PMUS employees. And it’s not like you can point to great financial performance. You can’t! Their stock is in the dumpster and they don’t make money flying passengers.

I feel terrible for PMAA employees. It was a great airline, and it’s clear they are embarrassed of wat the airline has become and don’t want to be associated with the PMUS employees that have degraded the brand to basement level, right below Spirit.

The problem is that AA is over 86% institution ownership. As long as the big finance guys are OK with Doug, the show goes on. As Doug and his managements are paid in shares, Doug and Co. amassed tens millions of AA shares in last few years (the total number of shares are around 340 million). To shut other institutions buying into AA (i.e. Activism Investors or Qatar), any purchase over a certain amount needs the majority shareholder approval. That means Doug is safe until he is 90 years old, by the time, the stock compensation would make Doug the number 1 shareholder in AA any way.

chonetsao

Sat May 18, 2019 9:01 am

USAirKid wrote:
I’d actually pay a bit more to be on a flight without IFE. Since the screen is there more people use it, and I find TVs to be awfully distracting.

My preference is the AS solution. Free streaming entertainment, tablet clips, and tablets to rent on flights that are long enough for it to make a difference.

You should fly with Southwest or Spirit or Frontier, not AA.

max999

Sat May 18, 2019 9:56 am

77H wrote:
I don’t understand what the obsession with PTVs is? What did you all do on flights before airlines started to put them in?

77H

I hate these kind of questions. Your question is the equivalent of asking: what did you do with your life before the internet?

Technology changes, and people adapt to make technology an important part of their lives. People survived in the days before internet, but we have made internet integral because of its benefits. And people flew on airplanes before IFE existed, but people love to use IFE now that it's a widely available technology.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Mortyman

Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 am

Their transatlantic Boeing 767-300 is apparently without IFE in economy … They should fix that first ...

Guillaume787

Sat May 18, 2019 10:07 am

max999 wrote:
77H wrote:
I don’t understand what the obsession with PTVs is? What did you all do on flights before airlines started to put them in?

77H

I hate these kind of questions. Your question is the equivalent of asking: what did you do with your life before the internet?

Technology changes, and people adapt to make technology an important part of their lives. People survived in the days before internet, but we have made internet integral because of its benefits. And people flew on airplanes before IFE existed, but people love to use IFE now that it's a widely available technology.

This! :checkmark:
It’s the equivalent of asking what is the obsession with color/LCD/LED/HD/smart TVs? People were watching black and white television before, right? :roll:

snasteve

Sat May 18, 2019 10:08 am

MSPNWA wrote:
I'm still waiting for Leff's last AA interior rumor to come true.

I don't know if the new seats can even be retrofitted for screens. They certainly would have to be modified. With dozens of aircraft already with new seats and many more imminently coming, this is more like a pipe dream than a rumor.

I would be fine with the cheapest display and a moving map w/ ETA clock.

The person asking about what we did before PtVs? They served food on the plane even in coach. And then after that we usually went to sleep. We occasionally would acknowledge each other with a short friendly chit chat. Smoked cigarettes (not me though). Also we were thinner back then flying was less stressful in general. And nobody back then was trying stuff their kitchen sink into the main cabin bins since bags were always checked. Flight attendants were more glamorous and not the strict disciplinarian’s of today.

77H

Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am

max999 wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

Sorry you hate the question. Though, as a person who rarely uses IFE it is a valid question to me. You hate the question and I hate that people on this site complain about lack of entertainment on flights as if it were as vital to survival as oxygen. To each their own I guess.

And to compare the whole of the internet to a screen in a seat that plays 20-30 uploaded movies/tv shows is a bit of stretch wouldn’t you say ?

77H

afcjets

Sat May 18, 2019 11:14 am

77H wrote:

77H

Watched the movie playing on the big screen

Antarius

Sat May 18, 2019 11:34 am

MAH4546 wrote:
phxa340 wrote:

The LAA employees and their unions are the ones who quickly and blindly made a deal with Doug Parker.

So, they are not innocent bystanders. They caused exactly what they are getting now.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX

unitedewr737

Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
I'm still waiting for Leff's last AA interior rumor to come true.

I don't know if the new seats can even be retrofitted for screens. They certainly would have to be modified. With dozens of aircraft already with new seats and many more imminently coming, this is more like a pipe dream than a rumor.

The first class seats on the oasis planes is the MiQ seats that the three legacies use for international premium economy with 13 inch screens, so even if they just need to change the seatback, it would definitely be possible. In economy it is the same seat (meridian) that jet blue is installing in its phase two of the a320 retrofits albeit with more cushioning and legroom, but from the pics it seems like the android tablet model jet blue is going with, similar to delta's, slides in from the top. That's just based on the mockups, but either way they should be able to incorporate the ptvs into the new econ seats.

9w748capt

Sat May 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Their transatlantic Boeing 767-300 is apparently without IFE in economy … They should fix that first ...

Why would they do that? The 763s are all going to be retired in the next 2 years IIRC. I'd much rather AA re-install IFE on their domestic fleet than worry about the ancient 763s which are on their way out.

9w748capt

Sat May 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Planes4you wrote:
I wouldn’t pay for this since I’m a kid but why is it so expensive to pre order meals on American?

AA's pre-order prices are the same as what they charge on-board. Unless what you really meant to ask is "why is AA's BOB so expensive?" - which is an entirely different question.

Antarius

Sat May 18, 2019 12:48 pm

77H wrote:
max999 wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

Sorry you hate the question. Though, as a person who rarely uses IFE it is a valid question to me. You hate the question and I hate that people on this site complain about lack of entertainment on flights as if it were as vital to survival as oxygen. To each their own I guess.

And to compare the whole of the internet to a screen in a seat that plays 20-30 uploaded movies/tv shows is a bit of stretch wouldn’t you say ?

77H

IMO, the issue is not your opinion, which you are free to have, but the seeming implication by response that IFE doesnt matter to the traveling populace. You may not use it, I dont use it a ton either, but we are a minority.

Unless you are advocating for the world to change their mind, I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is. Because designing policy/decisions around the edge case isnt smart business sense and going down a rabbit hole of this is what was being called into question.
Last edited by Antarius on Sat May 18, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX

Antarius

Sat May 18, 2019 12:49 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Why would they do that? The 763s are all going to be retired in the next 2 years IIRC. I'd much rather AA re-install IFE on their domestic fleet than worry about the ancient 763s which are on their way out.

Agreed. And if they have to spend money on the 763, I'd prefer they maintain them so they dont have MX issues all the time.

Cannot wait for these to be gone. No point enhancing experience on them when they are almost gone.

JAMBOJET

Sat May 18, 2019 12:52 pm

stl07 wrote:
DDR wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
This is so hilarious. So Dougie gets it all of a sudden? Yeah right. AA's identity crisis is beyond absurd. On one hand they introduce a sparkling new flagship lounge at DFW, and with the other foot their domestic product is worse than even Spirit's. Yet more proof that LCC management just doesn't get it.

Just get one of the 22 AA branded credit cards that comes with a free bag.

You hate AA we get it.

No, travel in the back of an Oasis plane going for hours on end going to the west coast like many and you'll get it. He is simply pointing out reality.

AA is hardly the only carrier with 30” pitch and slimline seats. AA was a follower to Delta and United on those two density changes. Only unique for AA against what AA was before Oasis.
Seriously... the amount of uninformed whining on this site about AA’s Oasis and seat pitch, as though it’s somehow unique to AA, is off the charts.
But i agree with the theme, Bring back PTVs!!

Kno

Sat May 18, 2019 1:00 pm

DFW17L wrote:
BYOD is much better than seatback IFE. Even when IFE is available, I use my iPad to stream content via WiFi.

This is something people with iPads love to say, but a lot of us don’t have / want iPads. I also don’t want to have to fuss with my laptop and deal with planning out my content in advance or fussing with often unreliable WiFi.

MIflyer12

Sat May 18, 2019 1:00 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
phxa340 wrote:

Yeh, right. The problem is the PMUS employees and Parker's destruction of AA culture...

AA hasn't had a strong working culture since Crandall left. Subsequent execs didn't manage the business, they managed around the unions running the business. AA was a make-leisure project for pilots and FAs. They thought, in Parker, they'd get somebody even easier to push around. The problem with Parker's vision isn't unbundled/LCC (look at where the growth in the U.S. market has occurred in the last twenty years - Southwest and Spirit) but that he has high wage/low productivity people delivering it. The lack of success is reflected in AA's market cap. AA is, for now, still the world's largest airline by revenue, so it doesn't need to be good to deliver high wage jobs to senior employees. And they know it.

Revelation

Sat May 18, 2019 1:04 pm

F9LASDEN wrote:
Just yesterday, I flew AA LAS-DFW-BWI (LAS-DFW on a LUS A321 with PDE, DFW-BWI on a B738 with PDE and overhead screens) and on both segments watched episodes of Grey’s Anatomy (two episodes on each segment) I downloaded on my iPhone instead of accessing whatever was offered on AA’s streaming service. Tomorrow, I’m flying UA BWI-DEN with PDE as well as seatback screens and already have several more episodes of Grey’s Anatomy downloaded and ready to go.

Again, like I said, just a personal preference. I can definitely see why seatback IFE may be preferred by some people.

If you observe other human beings, I think you'll find this degree of preparation is something they don't want to do and in many cases aren't capable of doing.

I think having an IFE optionally available leaves a good impression on the customer.

I think AA has this weird impression that they can gain customers by being stingy about every aspect of customer service yet charge similar prices to their competitors.

They must think the average customer gets happiness from a big corporation screwing them over, or said customers choose AA because they are self loathing and feel they deserve to be screwed over.

77H wrote:
You hate the question and I hate that people on this site complain about lack of entertainment on flights as if it were as vital to survival as oxygen. To each their own I guess.

I suppose you go out of your way to get cars with cranked windows instead of electric windows, because no one needs those electric motors. To each their own I guess.

77H wrote:

The point was that people's expectations change over time.

Observe how many minvans/SUVs roll down the road with video playing to keep the kids quiet.

Do you think those kids are going to perhaps expect IFE in an airplane?

It's not about survival, it's about expectations, and if you don't meet expectations, people are unhappy.
Last edited by Revelation on Sat May 18, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

hiflyeras

Sat May 18, 2019 1:15 pm

USAirKid wrote:

Even on AS you don't find tablet rentals anymore except transcons and Hawaii. The majority of frequent travelers own a tablet...and if they're with the kids they have more than one. Their selection of streamed movies, etc is enormous with dozens of current releases and the free texting keeps a huge chunk of people occupied with those on the ground. The install of gogo 2ku satellite wi-fi is on pace to be done by late 2020 and will bring new oppotunities to AS and extend wifi to Hawaii and Mexico/Central America flights. They know that PTV is something they lack but their on-board tech and options are ahead of most.

http://ir.gogoair.com/news-releases/new ... a-airlines

sxf24

Sat May 18, 2019 1:20 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

Even on AS you don't find tablet rentals anymore except transcons and Hawaii. The majority of frequent travelers own a tablet...and if they're with the kids they have more than one. Their selection of streamed movies, etc is enormous with dozens of current releases and the free texting keeps a huge chunk of people occupied with those on the ground. The install of gogo 2ku satellite wi-fi is on pace to be done by late 2020 and will bring new oppotunities to AS and extend wifi to Hawaii and Mexico/Central America flights. They know that PTV is something they lack but their on-board tech and options are ahead of most.

Every airline understands that domestically, fast and reliable WiFi is a much bigger driver of customer satisfaction than fixed IFE. Allowing gate-to-gate streaming of HBO Go, Netflix, etc is my preference. Having reliable live TV, like what AA offers, makes it even better.

I say this as an AS 75K who declines the tablet at the streaming content is superior. I’m also a DL DM and rarely use the IFE domestically.

DDR

Sat May 18, 2019 1:23 pm

9w748capt wrote:
DDR wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
This is so hilarious. So Dougie gets it all of a sudden? Yeah right. AA's identity crisis is beyond absurd. On one hand they introduce a sparkling new flagship lounge at DFW, and with the other foot their domestic product is worse than even Spirit's. Yet more proof that LCC management just doesn't get it.

Just get one of the 22 AA branded credit cards that comes with a free bag.

You hate AA we get it.

No, I don't hate AA, I hate Dougie and what his LCC management has done to AA.

In that case, I'm in total agreement.

USAirALB

Sat May 18, 2019 1:29 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
phxa340 wrote:

Yeah, the L-AA employees are so embarrassed that PMUS employees have damaged the brand that they are continuously failing to perform PDB, which somehow PMUS employees do. :roll:
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Antarius

Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 pm

sxf24 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

Every airline understands that domestically, fast and reliable WiFi is a much bigger driver of customer satisfaction than fixed IFE. Allowing gate-to-gate streaming of HBO Go, Netflix, etc is my preference. Having reliable live TV, like what AA offers, makes it even better.

I say this as an AS 75K who declines the tablet at the streaming content is superior. I’m also a DL DM and rarely use the IFE domestically.

Again, this is you. Not representative of the flying populace.

Is it pure coincidence that the airline with the best profits, climbing satisfaction scores etc. also is investing in IFE? Or is DL just stupid, since every other airline understands IFE is pointless?

freakyrat

Sat May 18, 2019 2:02 pm

chonetsao wrote:
For once, Dougie and Co. thought they figured out Delta's next move, then reacted quickly to announcing plan of removing seatback IFE so that they can claim for once Delta would be following AA. Instead DL laughed at AA and told the whole world that they will be ADDING IFE so passenger can enjoy more of the famous Delta experience.

There must be a panic moment in Phoenix (or Dallas) that how could Dougie and Co. get done by Delta. Dougie and Co. wants to be seen as leaders, and they were doing a terrible job as followers too!

Just flew Delta's A319/A320 from DFW-ATL and back and both aircraft had Delta's exclusive Space Interior with seatback IFE's and most passengers were enjoying the entertainment.

freakyrat

Sat May 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Mortyman wrote:

Best Transatlantic Economy from DFW is Lufthansa to FRA hands down. The Airbus A330 they use is very bright and roomy inside even in economy, All rollerboards are checked free leaving room in the bins for backpacks and the space under the seats open. They just do it right.
Last edited by freakyrat on Sat May 18, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usflyer msp

Sat May 18, 2019 2:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
phxa340 wrote:

Yeh, right. The problem is the PMUS employees and Parker's destruction of AA culture...

AA hasn't had a strong working culture since Crandall left. Subsequent execs didn't manage the business, they managed around the unions running the business. AA was a make-leisure project for pilots and FAs. They thought, in Parker, they'd get somebody even easier to push around. The problem with Parker's vision isn't unbundled/LCC (look at where the growth in the U.S. market has occurred in the last twenty years - Southwest and Spirit) but that he has high wage/low productivity people delivering it. The lack of success is reflected in AA's market cap. AA is, for now, still the world's largest airline by revenue, so it doesn't need to be good to deliver high wage jobs to senior employees. And they know it.

Thank you. I find that the new hires and L-US staff are generally much more customer service oriented than than the L-AA employees.

musman9853

Sat May 18, 2019 2:19 pm

DFW17L wrote:
BYOD is much better than seatback IFE. Even when IFE is available, I use my iPad to stream content via WiFi.

exactly. my $1k phone is much higher quality than any seatback ife. give me a outlet or a usb port and i'll be happy.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

musman9853

Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 pm

WBM wrote:
For me IFE on a flight is a big deal. A good IFE system makes even long flights in cramped quarters a breeze. The funny thing is I rarely sit down to watch TV or a movie at home. But in the air I find it a great opportunity to sit back, relax and catch up on movies I've missed. Being able to stream to my phone on a flight that does not have a seat back screen in an improvement over nothing, but it does not compare. The screen is smaller, it is usually a pain to hold it or position it, and the viewing angle is inferior. If I'm looking at two flights, and I know only one has IFE, it is no contest which I'd prefer.

don't the oasis planes have tablet/phone holders attached to the seat?

musman9853

Sat May 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Mortyman wrote:

the ancient 767s and 757s are on their way out thank god. Iirc there's gonna be 5 767s left in the fleet at the end of next year.

Sevensixtyseven

Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Can they also serve hot meals on flights to Hawaii instead of Wraps?

L-AA A321 Hawaii spec are not equipped with Economy galley ovens, nor are the new A321Neos. Some of the L-US Boeing 757-Hawaii have coach ovens, so that's a possibility, but those are being retired imminently. The 777s and A330s do, though.

To be fair and honest to all the other Hawaii operators..AS has econ ovens in (nearly) all 737s. Delta doesn't have any econ ovens on most of their Hawaii 737/757 fleet, but the 767/A330 does.

United is the big winner for hot food to Hawaii, with the 737s, 757s, 767s, and 777s all having coach ovens. Not only that, UA has a wholly-owned kitchen in HNL, so if you're flying UA out of HNL, the meals are fresh, not downlined in from the mainland. I believe they cater fresh food out of OGG and KOA too through someone else, but LIH and ITO are most likely double-catered.
I call the dusty desert my home. :)

pitbosflyer

Sat May 18, 2019 3:15 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

the ancient 767s and 757s are on their way out thank god. Iirc there's gonna be 5 767s left in the fleet at the end of next year.

Meanwhile all of the DL 757s / 767s have Ife and many have even been recently refurbished.

sxf24

Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Antarius wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

Is it pure coincidence that the airline with the best profits, climbing satisfaction scores etc. also is investing in IFE? Or is DL just stupid, since every other airline understands IFE is pointless?

Of course it is my opinion. I happen to think it’s worth a bunch, since I am the type of customer airlines want (a business traveler with over $75K annual spend).

Facts also support a focus on WiFi domestically. It’s one of the most sought after feature by business travelers. In addition, I don’t think one can draw a correlation between seatback IFE and profits using DL as the only example. How does this explain B6 (and VX) underperform in yields? Or Spirit, Allegiant and AS (historically) leading profit margins without IFE?

IFE is a requirement for long haul flights, but not the future domestically.

Jet-lagged

Sat May 18, 2019 3:24 pm

To me these screens always look dated before long. BYOD with in flight steaming is a better way.

What I would really like is free internet access, for email and web browsing no streaming. $40 for a flight is just too much.

Antarius

Sat May 18, 2019 3:42 pm

sxf24 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Of course it is my opinion. I happen to think it’s worth a bunch, since I am the type of customer airlines want (a business traveler with over $75K annual spend).

Facts also support a focus on WiFi domestically. It’s one of the most sought after feature by business travelers. In addition, I don’t think one can draw a correlation between seatback IFE and profits using DL as the only example. How does this explain B6 (and VX) underperform in yields? Or Spirit, Allegiant and AS (historically) leading profit margins without IFE?

Let me put it this way. AA hands out Bose headphones on intl J and F. Why? Most of the 75k types like you have their own. Should AA discontinue it? Yes, high value customers are important, but theres a rung below the 75k and many below that that have a choice of airline and travel frequently.

Why is IFE required for long haul flights? That's an arbitrary line right? If there was wifi and BYOD, how does the equation change?

I'm not disputing your personal opinion for your own travel. I'm saying that your opinion is not backed up by the numbers. People actually care about IFE and use it.
Last edited by Antarius on Sat May 18, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travelsonic

Sat May 18, 2019 3:42 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

And some people read, some watch TV, some draw, some do a combination of them on flights, and/or other things (not anything inappropriate for being in a plane, of course - I'd hope at least).

Why does wanting choices that someone else might not care for seem to bug some people so much? It's baffling.

WBM

Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 pm

musman9853 wrote:
WBM wrote:
For me IFE on a flight is a big deal. A good IFE system makes even long flights in cramped quarters a breeze. The funny thing is I rarely sit down to watch TV or a movie at home. But in the air I find it a great opportunity to sit back, relax and catch up on movies I've missed. Being able to stream to my phone on a flight that does not have a seat back screen in an improvement over nothing, but it does not compare. The screen is smaller, it is usually a pain to hold it or position it, and the viewing angle is inferior. If I'm looking at two flights, and I know only one has IFE, it is no contest which I'd prefer.

don't the oasis planes have tablet/phone holders attached to the seat?

The recent flights that I've been on have not had a holder. The flights were not on American, so I could not tell you what they have. Something to hold my device would have been a significant step up from what I had. For me, even though a holder would be a step up from nothing, it still would be a step down from a fixed position seat back screen.

musman9853

Sat May 18, 2019 3:49 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

Meanwhile all of the DL 757s / 767s have Ife and many have even been recently refurbished.

sure, but american has a clear plan and timeline to replace their old birds with the 787. delta's plan is to hope boeing launches the 797 and doesn't have any production issues. i'd much rather fly on a 787 than a 767.

OzarkD9S

Sat May 18, 2019 3:51 pm

travelsonic wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

And some people read, some watch TV, some draw, some do a combination of them on flights, and/or other things (not anything inappropriate for being in a plane, of course - I'd hope at least).

Why does wanting choices that someone else might not care for seem to bug some people so much? It's baffling.

It doesn't bug me at all to have choices, the more the merrier. But IFE or no IFE has little bearing on my flight booking patterns. Just sayin'. :biggrin:
C'mon BA, bring your tail to STL. :airplane:

WBM

Sat May 18, 2019 3:59 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

Yes I remember reading books on planes. Though I enjoy reading, I find that an airline cabin is not the best place for it. For me it is the distractions, and the difficulty maintaining comfort while holding a book. On the other hand I find that an airline cabin with a good IFE system is a surprisingly good place to watch a movie. The distractions are less obtrusive for a passive activity like watching a movie. The IFE allows me to sit back and enjoy the flight.

Zidane

Sat May 18, 2019 4:00 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

The 75s will remain for the foreseeable future... :roll:

sxf24

Sat May 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Antarius wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Let me put it this way. AA hands out Bose headphones on intl J and F. Why? Most of the 75k types like you have their own. Should AA discontinue it? Yes, high value customers are important, but theres a rung below the 75k and many below that that have a choice of airline and travel frequently.

Why is IFE required for long haul flights? That's an arbitrary line right? If there was wifi and BYOD, how does the equation change?

I'm not disputing your personal opinion for your own travel. I'm saying that your opinion is not backed up by the numbers. People actually care about IFE and use it.

I view domestic and international flights differently because of the duration and space limitations. I don’t bring my noise cancelling headphones on international flights because I don’t have space, the battery doesn’t last long enough and I try to keep my bag weight down for when I make connections to airlines that have lower limits.

I also prefer my own device for domestic travel because I primarily watch Netflix or other TV shows downloaded from my DVR which works better on the shorter flights. On longer flights I like movies.

It is personal preference, but I know mine is aligned with many of my peers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos