Blueknows
Topic Author
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Looks like contour might be adding another city to west coast map

https://www.kpq.com/pangborn-still-sear ... -bay-area/
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Blueknows wrote:
Looks like contour might be adding another city to west coast map

https://www.kpq.com/pangborn-still-sear ... -bay-area/


The article states that G4 wants to know how many people in the Chelan/Wenatchee area have second homes in Arizona? It's odd because many of the homes at Lake Chelan are vacation homes from those that can afford it, from Seattle. If you are there, may as well see Leavenworth as well. It would be interesting to see if any new flights get added to EAT.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
flyoregon
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Contour would be a good candidate for places like EAT, SLE, LMT, and MAYBE even ONP...maybe
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Isn’t UA going to start SFO-EAT soon? I do agree the area is a bit underrated in terms of tourism potential. You have everything from Leavenworth to Lake Chelan to the Methow Valley to the Osoyoos B.C. wine region within a few hours.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 8:27 pm

I’ll believe when I see it.
 
SeaDoo
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 8:45 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I’ll believe when I see it.


I agree. United hasn't even announced EAT-SFO. The only schedule commercial passenger flights from EAT are on AS to SEA.

I think JetSuiteX to BFI has better potential.
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 pm

It will never happen, but I'd love to see a route from Wenatchee to Fresno, so people could go from EAT to FAT.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 9:05 pm

A little off the subject but I think LF will fly SJC-SBA next.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 9:14 pm

There's service to O&D markets, there's service to international hubs, and there's 2x weekly seasonal service (like what Allegiant might provide). If fares are too cheap for SkyWest I don't see how a hub codeshare/interline service can be expected. EAT-OAK can be nothing but an O&D route.
 
SeaDoo
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 9:30 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
It will never happen, but I'd love to see a route from Wenatchee to Fresno, so people could go from EAT to FAT.


Good one. When I start reading Wenatchee to Fresno I thought you were going to imply that there are a lot of people traveling from Central Washington to California, or possibly use Fresno as a connecting point to Mexico, then I realized, you had a good pun.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 9:36 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
It will never happen, but I'd love to see a route from Wenatchee to Fresno, so people could go from EAT to FAT.


Good one. When I start reading Wenatchee to Fresno I thought you were going to imply that there are a lot of people traveling from Central Washington to California, or possibly use Fresno as a connecting point to Mexico, then I realized, you had a good pun.


Actually it wouldn’t be a bad tourist flight. You have the aforementioned attractions on the EAT side and three National Parks near FAT. The closest airports to North Cascades NP are EAT, BLI, and PAE.

We’ve had past threads where the puns were tossed around. You can have fun with stuff like FUK, PUS, DIK, SUX, and so on. ;)
 
Blueknows
Topic Author
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Is contour getting more planes? Thats the only way I see them doing this route. I do like the SBA-EAT idea
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5068
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Somewhat off-topic but I wonder if Contour is researching the potential of a SBA-SAN route?

I'm very sure nonstop service between the 2 cities would be viable; the drive continues to be more of a burden every year as traffic (particularly thru that big city halfway) gets worse and worse! (I remember when it took me right around 4-4.5 hours to make the drive...) Air connections are available via LA but that's... an ordeal.

I've hoped to see AAG start the route but who knows how they are looking at California these days. (They do seem to be doing okay with their SAN-FAT/MRY intra-state routes and SBA seems like a natural extension of local service from SAN.)

As an alternative, Contour's 30-seat ERJ seems like the perfect a/c to try out the route, especially as they seem to have a nice network centered in SBA these days.

Sorry for the detour -- the thread may now return to discussing OAK-EAT.

bb
 
910A
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 18, 2019 11:43 pm

It ridiculous to think LF would operate a off the wall route like that, besides they have more fish to fry in California first.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 19, 2019 12:45 am

910A wrote:
It ridiculous to think LF would operate a off the wall route like that, besides they have more fish to fry in California first.


Hey, if someone wants to waste money and give it to Contour to fly a dumb route, more power to LF.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 am

sprxUSA wrote:
910A wrote:
It ridiculous to think LF would operate a off the wall route like that, besides they have more fish to fry in California first.


Hey, if someone wants to waste money and give it to Contour to fly a dumb route, more power to LF.


I think UA flying SFO-EAT on weekends with a CR2 might be a more intelligent route. The tourism potential needs to be well promoted.
 
SBAer
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Fri May 24, 2019 4:02 pm

SANFan wrote:
Somewhat off-topic but I wonder if Contour is researching the potential of a SBA-SAN route?



It was tried about 10 years ago on ExpressJet and didn't last all that long with the economy downswing. I'm sure Contour's smaller planes and business model would make this a route worth trying.
 
dc10lover
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Fri May 24, 2019 7:05 pm

"Contour's 30-seat ERJ"

I was wondering how many seats Contour would fly into Wenatchee. More likely to fill a 30 passenger ERJ than a 50 passenger CRJ. Still I would think airfares would be expensive. Still I think this will fail.

Pasco / Tri - Cities has 4 times the population than Wenatchee yet only has one non - stop United Express 50 - passenger flight to SFO. Spokane has 3 United Express 50 - passenger flights to SFO.

The Tri-Cities added a whole Walla Walla in less than a decade. And it's not slowing

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/nor ... 901fb.html
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.
 
Blueknows
Topic Author
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 pm

Looks like VIAair might have some planes for sale.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 25, 2019 1:14 am

I don't think LF will get larger aircraft. They are pretty satisfied with their 135s.
 
N174UA
Posts: 1010
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:17 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 25, 2019 4:29 am

dc10lover wrote:
"Contour's 30-seat ERJ"

I was wondering how many seats Contour would fly into Wenatchee. More likely to fill a 30 passenger ERJ than a 50 passenger CRJ. Still I would think airfares would be expensive. Still I think this will fail.

Pasco / Tri - Cities has 4 times the population than Wenatchee yet only has one non - stop United Express 50 - passenger flight to SFO. Spokane has 3 United Express 50 - passenger flights to SFO.

The Tri-Cities added a whole Walla Walla in less than a decade. And it's not slowing

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/nor ... 901fb.html


UA just added a daily year-round nonstop from PSC to LAX on March 31st. PDX doesn't have a nonstop, but PSC does! I moved to this area 3 years ago, and am amazed at how fast it's grown just since then. The airport was completely remodeled and is really nice to fly through. UA and DL have expanded here, but AS has barely remained stagnant in its options to fliers. AS started and stopped PSC-PDX twice now, and no sign it will be back, at least on AS. Generally speaking, folks here are starting and ending their journeys from PSC now, rather than making the drive to Spokane, or even to SEA or PDX. I would think in the next 5-10 years, we'll see ORD added, and maybe even ATL on DL (A220?).
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 am

N174UA wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
"Contour's 30-seat ERJ"

I was wondering how many seats Contour would fly into Wenatchee. More likely to fill a 30 passenger ERJ than a 50 passenger CRJ. Still I would think airfares would be expensive. Still I think this will fail.

Pasco / Tri - Cities has 4 times the population than Wenatchee yet only has one non - stop United Express 50 - passenger flight to SFO. Spokane has 3 United Express 50 - passenger flights to SFO.

The Tri-Cities added a whole Walla Walla in less than a decade. And it's not slowing

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/nor ... 901fb.html


UA just added a daily year-round nonstop from PSC to LAX on March 31st. PDX doesn't have a nonstop, but PSC does! I moved to this area 3 years ago, and am amazed at how fast it's grown just since then. The airport was completely remodeled and is really nice to fly through. UA and DL have expanded here, but AS has barely remained stagnant in its options to fliers. AS started and stopped PSC-PDX twice now, and no sign it will be back, at least on AS. Generally speaking, folks here are starting and ending their journeys from PSC now, rather than making the drive to Spokane, or even to SEA or PDX. I would think in the next 5-10 years, we'll see ORD added, and maybe even ATL on DL (A220?).


UA serves almost all of their NW destinations from LAX n/s, UA was not garnering much traffic with 4 other carriers flying PDX-LAX & now NK has come & gone, I think this market is at capacity or above, because I get daily alerts on the market & sub $150 r/t is very common.

PDX-PSC was timed for Hawaii connections out of PDX at the time all four Islands had flights arriving between 7-8pm, now that has changed & again AS is keeping marketshare in both PDX & SEA.

SY has given us some nice new adds this past year & early this year, I wonder if we will see any new seasonal adds for winter? UA & DL have added seats, increased fequency in some markets & extended the season on LHR, but no new routes as of late. I can se DL offering controlled increases here as the years pass & they further try to entrench themselves as a PNW carrier.

AS stated that their growth was going to be very low this year, gladly for shareholders they are paying off debt & still have a nice lump of cash in the bank. Their assets are increasing, the ASM's will hopefully increase back to pre-merger percentages with the network trimming & combining that has taken place.

IMHO, AAG long missed the boat with expanding places like RDM, MFR, EUG, PSC & GEG, they kept expecting their passengers to be happy with connecting via SEA & PDX, now they don't need to. Just in that, you may have your answer as to why, PSC-PDX no longer exists.

When I lived in Hermiston, we sold the heck out of the early DL flight from PSC on their 72S. I flew it once from there, but I was going to PDX a lot & flew NPA flying as UAX on their J-31's. DL has PSC & Eastern Washington locked up. AAG should have continued to expand beyond SEA & PDX.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
WN732
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 25, 2019 6:38 am

SeaDoo wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
It will never happen, but I'd love to see a route from Wenatchee to Fresno, so people could go from EAT to FAT.


Good one. When I start reading Wenatchee to Fresno I thought you were going to imply that there are a lot of people traveling from Central Washington to California, or possibly use Fresno as a connecting point to Mexico, then I realized, you had a good pun.


There actually is some traffic between the two believe it or not. Due to the agricultural ties to both areas several companies have traffic (not a ton) between the two cities. But that is serviced through YKM.
 
dc10lover
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sat May 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Jetsuitex possible?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 3:27 am

RWA380 wrote:
N174UA wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
"Contour's 30-seat ERJ"

I was wondering how many seats Contour would fly into Wenatchee. More likely to fill a 30 passenger ERJ than a 50 passenger CRJ. Still I would think airfares would be expensive. Still I think this will fail.

Pasco / Tri - Cities has 4 times the population than Wenatchee yet only has one non - stop United Express 50 - passenger flight to SFO. Spokane has 3 United Express 50 - passenger flights to SFO.

The Tri-Cities added a whole Walla Walla in less than a decade. And it's not slowing

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/nor ... 901fb.html


UA just added a daily year-round nonstop from PSC to LAX on March 31st. PDX doesn't have a nonstop, but PSC does! I moved to this area 3 years ago, and am amazed at how fast it's grown just since then. The airport was completely remodeled and is really nice to fly through. UA and DL have expanded here, but AS has barely remained stagnant in its options to fliers. AS started and stopped PSC-PDX twice now, and no sign it will be back, at least on AS. Generally speaking, folks here are starting and ending their journeys from PSC now, rather than making the drive to Spokane, or even to SEA or PDX. I would think in the next 5-10 years, we'll see ORD added, and maybe even ATL on DL (A220?).


UA serves almost all of their NW destinations from LAX n/s, UA was not garnering much traffic with 4 other carriers flying PDX-LAX & now NK has come & gone, I think this market is at capacity or above, because I get daily alerts on the market & sub $150 r/t is very common.

PDX-PSC was timed for Hawaii connections out of PDX at the time all four Islands had flights arriving between 7-8pm, now that has changed & again AS is keeping marketshare in both PDX & SEA.

SY has given us some nice new adds this past year & early this year, I wonder if we will see any new seasonal adds for winter? UA & DL have added seats, increased fequency in some markets & extended the season on LHR, but no new routes as of late. I can se DL offering controlled increases here as the years pass & they further try to entrench themselves as a PNW carrier.

AS stated that their growth was going to be very low this year, gladly for shareholders they are paying off debt & still have a nice lump of cash in the bank. Their assets are increasing, the ASM's will hopefully increase back to pre-merger percentages with the network trimming & combining that has taken place.

IMHO, AAG long missed the boat with expanding places like RDM, MFR, EUG, PSC & GEG, they kept expecting their passengers to be happy with connecting via SEA & PDX, now they don't need to. Just in that, you may have your answer as to why, PSC-PDX no longer exists.

When I lived in Hermiston, we sold the heck out of the early DL flight from PSC on their 72S. I flew it once from there, but I was going to PDX a lot & flew NPA flying as UAX on their J-31's. DL has PSC & Eastern Washington locked up. AAG should have continued to expand beyond SEA & PDX.


AS tried several routes from SJC to EUG and LAX-MFR. Other airlines like QQ tried SJC-RDM. Remember when PSA flew 146's all over the PNW from SFO like YKM, PSC, RDM, etc.?
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 4:54 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
N174UA wrote:

UA just added a daily year-round nonstop from PSC to LAX on March 31st. PDX doesn't have a nonstop, but PSC does! I moved to this area 3 years ago, and am amazed at how fast it's grown just since then. The airport was completely remodeled and is really nice to fly through. UA and DL have expanded here, but AS has barely remained stagnant in its options to fliers. AS started and stopped PSC-PDX twice now, and no sign it will be back, at least on AS. Generally speaking, folks here are starting and ending their journeys from PSC now, rather than making the drive to Spokane, or even to SEA or PDX. I would think in the next 5-10 years, we'll see ORD added, and maybe even ATL on DL (A220?).


UA serves almost all of their NW destinations from LAX n/s, UA was not garnering much traffic with 4 other carriers flying PDX-LAX & now NK has come & gone, I think this market is at capacity or above, because I get daily alerts on the market & sub $150 r/t is very common.

PDX-PSC was timed for Hawaii connections out of PDX at the time all four Islands had flights arriving between 7-8pm, now that has changed & again AS is keeping marketshare in both PDX & SEA.

SY has given us some nice new adds this past year & early this year, I wonder if we will see any new seasonal adds for winter? UA & DL have added seats, increased fequency in some markets & extended the season on LHR, but no new routes as of late. I can se DL offering controlled increases here as the years pass & they further try to entrench themselves as a PNW carrier.

AS stated that their growth was going to be very low this year, gladly for shareholders they are paying off debt & still have a nice lump of cash in the bank. Their assets are increasing, the ASM's will hopefully increase back to pre-merger percentages with the network trimming & combining that has taken place.

IMHO, AAG long missed the boat with expanding places like RDM, MFR, EUG, PSC & GEG, they kept expecting their passengers to be happy with connecting via SEA & PDX, now they don't need to. Just in that, you may have your answer as to why, PSC-PDX no longer exists.

When I lived in Hermiston, we sold the heck out of the early DL flight from PSC on their 72S. I flew it once from there, but I was going to PDX a lot & flew NPA flying as UAX on their J-31's. DL has PSC & Eastern Washington locked up. AAG should have continued to expand beyond SEA & PDX.


AS tried several routes from SJC to EUG and LAX-MFR. Other airlines like QQ tried SJC-RDM. Remember when PSA flew 146's all over the PNW from SFO like YKM, PSC, RDM, etc.?


That PSA expansion was relatively short lived before the US gutting, wasn’t it? PSA also flew to BLI.

I do remember when Air West had a DC-9 SFO-PSC in the 1970s.

I agree that AS world seem the logical carrier for direct routes from California to secondary cities in the PNW but seems to pass it up. They also started and dropped SJC-GEG. Now WN flies it.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 4:56 am

dc10lover wrote:
"Contour's 30-seat ERJ"

I was wondering how many seats Contour would fly into Wenatchee. More likely to fill a 30 passenger ERJ than a 50 passenger CRJ. Still I would think airfares would be expensive. Still I think this will fail.

Pasco / Tri - Cities has 4 times the population than Wenatchee yet only has one non - stop United Express 50 - passenger flight to SFO. Spokane has 3 United Express 50 - passenger flights to SFO.

The Tri-Cities added a whole Walla Walla in less than a decade. And it's not slowing

https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/nor ... 901fb.html


I don’t think they population base is the target of a potential flight to EAT. The area has great tourism potential that could possibly support a flight if marketed well.

I would thing a UA CRJ SFO-EAT has a better chance of working.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
N174UA wrote:

UA just added a daily year-round nonstop from PSC to LAX on March 31st. PDX doesn't have a nonstop, but PSC does! I moved to this area 3 years ago, and am amazed at how fast it's grown just since then. The airport was completely remodeled and is really nice to fly through. UA and DL have expanded here, but AS has barely remained stagnant in its options to fliers. AS started and stopped PSC-PDX twice now, and no sign it will be back, at least on AS. Generally speaking, folks here are starting and ending their journeys from PSC now, rather than making the drive to Spokane, or even to SEA or PDX. I would think in the next 5-10 years, we'll see ORD added, and maybe even ATL on DL (A220?).


UA serves almost all of their NW destinations from LAX n/s, UA was not garnering much traffic with 4 other carriers flying PDX-LAX & now NK has come & gone, I think this market is at capacity or above, because I get daily alerts on the market & sub $150 r/t is very common.

PDX-PSC was timed for Hawaii connections out of PDX at the time all four Islands had flights arriving between 7-8pm, now that has changed & again AS is keeping marketshare in both PDX & SEA.

SY has given us some nice new adds this past year & early this year, I wonder if we will see any new seasonal adds for winter? UA & DL have added seats, increased fequency in some markets & extended the season on LHR, but no new routes as of late. I can se DL offering controlled increases here as the years pass & they further try to entrench themselves as a PNW carrier.

AS stated that their growth was going to be very low this year, gladly for shareholders they are paying off debt & still have a nice lump of cash in the bank. Their assets are increasing, the ASM's will hopefully increase back to pre-merger percentages with the network trimming & combining that has taken place.

IMHO, AAG long missed the boat with expanding places like RDM, MFR, EUG, PSC & GEG, they kept expecting their passengers to be happy with connecting via SEA & PDX, now they don't need to. Just in that, you may have your answer as to why, PSC-PDX no longer exists.

When I lived in Hermiston, we sold the heck out of the early DL flight from PSC on their 72S. I flew it once from there, but I was going to PDX a lot & flew NPA flying as UAX on their J-31's. DL has PSC & Eastern Washington locked up. AAG should have continued to expand beyond SEA & PDX.


AS tried several routes from SJC to EUG and LAX-MFR. Other airlines like QQ tried SJC-RDM. Remember when PSA flew 146's all over the PNW from SFO like YKM, PSC, RDM, etc.?


You are correct, AAG has tried multiple routes from EUG, MFR, PSC & GEG. I remember hearing they did a one season only M-80 SEA-RDM-LAX service in connection with Mt Bachelor.

PS was round robin SFO-MFR-RDM-SFO also SFO-PSC-YKM-SFO - http://www.departedflights.com/PS021788.html

Pacific Express as well - http://www.departedflights.com/VB120183.html
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 6:29 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
N174UA wrote:

UA just added a daily year-round nonstop from PSC to LAX on March 31st. PDX doesn't have a nonstop, but PSC does! I moved to this area 3 years ago, and am amazed at how fast it's grown just since then. The airport was completely remodeled and is really nice to fly through. UA and DL have expanded here, but AS has barely remained stagnant in its options to fliers. AS started and stopped PSC-PDX twice now, and no sign it will be back, at least on AS. Generally speaking, folks here are starting and ending their journeys from PSC now, rather than making the drive to Spokane, or even to SEA or PDX. I would think in the next 5-10 years, we'll see ORD added, and maybe even ATL on DL (A220?).


UA serves almost all of their NW destinations from LAX n/s, UA was not garnering much traffic with 4 other carriers flying PDX-LAX & now NK has come & gone, I think this market is at capacity or above, because I get daily alerts on the market & sub $150 r/t is very common.

PDX-PSC was timed for Hawaii connections out of PDX at the time all four Islands had flights arriving between 7-8pm, now that has changed & again AS is keeping marketshare in both PDX & SEA.

SY has given us some nice new adds this past year & early this year, I wonder if we will see any new seasonal adds for winter? UA & DL have added seats, increased fequency in some markets & extended the season on LHR, but no new routes as of late. I can se DL offering controlled increases here as the years pass & they further try to entrench themselves as a PNW carrier.

AS stated that their growth was going to be very low this year, gladly for shareholders they are paying off debt & still have a nice lump of cash in the bank. Their assets are increasing, the ASM's will hopefully increase back to pre-merger percentages with the network trimming & combining that has taken place.

IMHO, AAG long missed the boat with expanding places like RDM, MFR, EUG, PSC & GEG, they kept expecting their passengers to be happy with connecting via SEA & PDX, now they don't need to. Just in that, you may have your answer as to why, PSC-PDX no longer exists.

When I lived in Hermiston, we sold the heck out of the early DL flight from PSC on their 72S. I flew it once from there, but I was going to PDX a lot & flew NPA flying as UAX on their J-31's. DL has PSC & Eastern Washington locked up. AAG should have continued to expand beyond SEA & PDX.


AS tried several routes from SJC to EUG and LAX-MFR. Other airlines like QQ tried SJC-RDM. Remember when PSA flew 146's all over the PNW from SFO like YKM, PSC, RDM, etc.?


Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone flying SJC-RDM
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 8:44 pm

AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

UA serves almost all of their NW destinations from LAX n/s, UA was not garnering much traffic with 4 other carriers flying PDX-LAX & now NK has come & gone, I think this market is at capacity or above, because I get daily alerts on the market & sub $150 r/t is very common.

PDX-PSC was timed for Hawaii connections out of PDX at the time all four Islands had flights arriving between 7-8pm, now that has changed & again AS is keeping marketshare in both PDX & SEA.

SY has given us some nice new adds this past year & early this year, I wonder if we will see any new seasonal adds for winter? UA & DL have added seats, increased fequency in some markets & extended the season on LHR, but no new routes as of late. I can se DL offering controlled increases here as the years pass & they further try to entrench themselves as a PNW carrier.

AS stated that their growth was going to be very low this year, gladly for shareholders they are paying off debt & still have a nice lump of cash in the bank. Their assets are increasing, the ASM's will hopefully increase back to pre-merger percentages with the network trimming & combining that has taken place.

IMHO, AAG long missed the boat with expanding places like RDM, MFR, EUG, PSC & GEG, they kept expecting their passengers to be happy with connecting via SEA & PDX, now they don't need to. Just in that, you may have your answer as to why, PSC-PDX no longer exists.

When I lived in Hermiston, we sold the heck out of the early DL flight from PSC on their 72S. I flew it once from there, but I was going to PDX a lot & flew NPA flying as UAX on their J-31's. DL has PSC & Eastern Washington locked up. AAG should have continued to expand beyond SEA & PDX.


AS tried several routes from SJC to EUG and LAX-MFR. Other airlines like QQ tried SJC-RDM. Remember when PSA flew 146's all over the PNW from SFO like YKM, PSC, RDM, etc.?


Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone flying SJC-RDM


Reno Air flew it with an MD-80. The other poster remembers correctly.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

AS tried several routes from SJC to EUG and LAX-MFR. Other airlines like QQ tried SJC-RDM. Remember when PSA flew 146's all over the PNW from SFO like YKM, PSC, RDM, etc.?


Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone flying SJC-RDM


Reno Air flew it with an MD-80. The other poster remembers correctly.


Here you go, QQ route map showing RDM - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ051895.html

At the same time, Reno Air Express served MFR & LMT - http://www.departedflights.com/QQexpress010395.html
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 9:04 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
I agree that AS world seem the logical carrier for direct routes from California to secondary cities in the PNW but seems to pass it up. They also started and dropped SJC-GEG. Now WN flies it.


It's not going to be WN, with it's nothing smaller than a 737-700 fleet. AS, with Q400s and E75s, is a logical choice. UA with the SFO hub may be the best hope for secondary PNW to (any) California hub.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 9:16 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
I agree that AS world seem the logical carrier for direct routes from California to secondary cities in the PNW but seems to pass it up. They also started and dropped SJC-GEG. Now WN flies it.


It's not going to be WN, with it's nothing smaller than a 737-700 fleet. AS, with Q400s and E75s, is a logical choice. UA with the SFO hub may be the best hope for secondary PNW to (any) California hub.


That’s not what I suggested. I was adding to another comment about PNW routes that AS previously flew. AS tried SJC-GEG. WN now flies SJC-GEG. That was my WN reference.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 11:46 pm

RWA380 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone flying SJC-RDM


Reno Air flew it with an MD-80. The other poster remembers correctly.


Here you go, QQ route map showing RDM - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ051895.html

At the same time, Reno Air Express served MFR & LMT - http://www.departedflights.com/QQexpress010395.html


Son of a gun. The thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Sun May 26, 2019 11:47 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

AS tried several routes from SJC to EUG and LAX-MFR. Other airlines like QQ tried SJC-RDM. Remember when PSA flew 146's all over the PNW from SFO like YKM, PSC, RDM, etc.?


Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone flying SJC-RDM


Reno Air flew it with an MD-80. The other poster remembers correctly.


That comment was about my failed memory ;)
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 12:18 am

AirFiero wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Reno Air flew it with an MD-80. The other poster remembers correctly.


Here you go, QQ route map showing RDM - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ051895.html

At the same time, Reno Air Express served MFR & LMT - http://www.departedflights.com/QQexpress010395.html


Son of a gun. The thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)


You'd be amazed some of the gems I found researching my "Oregon cities with air service, where & who flew it" list. I am missing information about Advantage Air & I need to find a source of solid info on their Oregon operations, like cities served, routes flown etc ... I am always looking for input & additions, I just had to recreate it, luckily I had posted it in part 3 of the Oregon thread & so I took screen shots & rebuilt.
Plus I did additional research & found even more info, got to add a couple more destinations in the State.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 12:39 am

AirFiero wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Hmmm. I don’t remember anyone flying SJC-RDM


Reno Air flew it with an MD-80. The other poster remembers correctly.


That comment was about my failed memory ;)


Do you remember COS and Laughlin from SJC also? :)
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 2:13 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Reno Air flew it with an MD-80. The other poster remembers correctly.


That comment was about my failed memory ;)


Do you remember COS and Laughlin from SJC also? :)


Yes!

Do you remember, what was it, Western Pacific to COS?
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 4:22 am

LF (or maybe others) would do it if the money is right, kind of like OAK-CEC.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 4:34 am

AirFiero wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

That comment was about my failed memory ;)


Do you remember COS and Laughlin from SJC also? :)


Yes!

Do you remember, what was it, Western Pacific to COS?


Yeah but I was thinking of when QQ also did SJC-COS.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 4:38 am

LF was drawn to OAK-CEC for the subsidy. And later to PGA for that subsidy. But the rest of the flying they are doing in the West is at risk, and that seems to be going well. They are now running a second SBA-OAK-CEC return 4 days a week with no subsidy, plus adding SBA-SMF and I think a second SBA-LAS 4 days. I don't see EAT possible without a subsidy, however. If LF expands more, it's either going to be with a subsidy or to more prominent at risk markets that don't have competition. There is a need for SMF-ACV/CEC, which would probably work if done as a ACV-CEC tag like UAx used to. Folks from CEC won't mind the short bounce at ACV if they can stay on the plane. Currently it's two remote counties with a fair amount of state business having no connection to the Capital.

Unsubsidized EAT-OAK might only work if there were connections over OAK, but that's unlikely with WN being the major player, and the other majors constantly shrinking in OAK.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 4:58 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Do you remember COS and Laughlin from SJC also? :)


Yes!

Do you remember, what was it, Western Pacific to COS?


Yeah but I was thinking of when QQ also did SJC-COS.


Actually, from everything I'd seen QQ served COS via LAS only, maybe one stop from SJC, but here it is, their n/s operated a short time - http://www.departedflights.com/COS95p1.html

Here is the BHC proof also - http://www.departedflights.com/SJC95p1.html

May 1999 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ050199.html
May 1997 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ052297.html
May 1995 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ051895.html

I never knew they served MCI until I was digging for this - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ042993.html
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 5:12 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Do you remember COS and Laughlin from SJC also? :)


Yes!

Do you remember, what was it, Western Pacific to COS?


Yeah but I was thinking of when QQ also did SJC-COS.


That didn’t last long, if I remember correctly.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 5:19 am

RWA380 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Yes!

Do you remember, what was it, Western Pacific to COS?


Yeah but I was thinking of when QQ also did SJC-COS.


Actually, from everything I'd seen QQ served COS via LAS only, maybe one stop from SJC, but here it is, their n/s operated a short time - http://www.departedflights.com/COS95p1.html

Here is the BHC proof also - http://www.departedflights.com/SJC95p1.html

May 1999 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ050199.html
May 1997 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ052297.html
May 1995 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ051895.html

I never knew they served MCI until I was digging for this - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ042993.html


I wish someone would hub at SJC again.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5516
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 5:23 am

AirFiero wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Yeah but I was thinking of when QQ also did SJC-COS.


Actually, from everything I'd seen QQ served COS via LAS only, maybe one stop from SJC, but here it is, their n/s operated a short time - http://www.departedflights.com/COS95p1.html

Here is the BHC proof also - http://www.departedflights.com/SJC95p1.html

May 1999 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ050199.html
May 1997 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ052297.html
May 1995 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ051895.html

I never knew they served MCI until I was digging for this - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ042993.html


I wish someone would hub at SJC again.


Both AS & WN are sure trying, but as a main base? I wonder if it'll happen, it's a good question.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
Blueknows
Topic Author
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am

If they can get a codeshare with someone like B6. They could see numbers go through the roof. Especially to SBA they would see numbers soar
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5612
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 am

WN is the only carrier at OAK big enough to matter and they don't interline with anybody. That's why I think EAT-OAK is a particularly poor route idea - it gets nothing but EAT-OAK/(SFO?) O&D traffic. EAT-SFO gets the same O&D traffic and could interline to UA.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 2:45 pm

RWA380 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
RWA380 wrote:

Actually, from everything I'd seen QQ served COS via LAS only, maybe one stop from SJC, but here it is, their n/s operated a short time - http://www.departedflights.com/COS95p1.html

Here is the BHC proof also - http://www.departedflights.com/SJC95p1.html

May 1999 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ050199.html
May 1997 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ052297.html
May 1995 - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ051895.html

I never knew they served MCI until I was digging for this - http://www.departedflights.com/QQ042993.html


I wish someone would hub at SJC again.


Both AS & WN are sure trying, but as a main base? I wonder if it'll happen, it's a good question.


It doesn’t have to be a main base, just a secondary hub or a focus city with timed banks. With the 5+1 new gates (jetways and 1 ground boarding gate) coming online this summer, I’m wondering if some carrier (*cough*, AS) might take advantage of the new gate capacity and SJCs geographic location. Imagine AS using a combination of mainline jets and regional jets to tie all the smaller markets like STS, FAT, SBA etc to Hawaii, Mexico and eastern cities like DAL, EWR and JFK. Since we are talking AS and not AA at DFW, 10-12 gates should work which is what is currently available there.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 4:16 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
LF was drawn to OAK-CEC for the subsidy. And later to PGA for that subsidy. But the rest of the flying they are doing in the West is at risk, and that seems to be going well. They are now running a second SBA-OAK-CEC return 4 days a week with no subsidy, plus adding SBA-SMF and I think a second SBA-LAS 4 days. I don't see EAT possible without a subsidy, however. If LF expands more, it's either going to be with a subsidy or to more prominent at risk markets that don't have competition. There is a need for SMF-ACV/CEC, which would probably work if done as a ACV-CEC tag like UAx used to. Folks from CEC won't mind the short bounce at ACV if they can stay on the plane. Currently it's two remote counties with a fair amount of state business having no connection to the Capital.

Unsubsidized EAT-OAK might only work if there were connections over OAK, but that's unlikely with WN being the major player, and the other majors constantly shrinking in OAK.


Yes...I agree that any EAT-OAK would definitely have to heavily subsidized. However, I don't think LF will go to ACV because of the proximity of CEC. I think there is some traffic that CEC is seeing is coming from ACV, since it's only an hour or so away.

I still think it would be natural to see LF fly the SBA-SJC route eventually.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1323
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 5:08 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

I still think it would be natural to see LF fly the SBA-SJC route eventually.


Nobody is flying the route currently, correct?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos