wedgetail737

Re: Contour possible EAT-OAK

Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm

AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I still think it would be natural to see LF fly the SBA-SJC route eventually.

Nobody is flying the route currently, correct?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't know if QX did the SJC-SBA route using a Q400. The last airline that I remember did that route was Pacific Coastal back in 1980's...yes, I'm aging myself.

BoeingGuy

Mon May 27, 2019 7:18 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. I don't know if QX did the SJC-SBA route using a Q400. The last airline that I remember did that route was Pacific Coastal back in 1980's...yes, I'm aging myself.

QX has never done SJC-SBA. I’m also not aware that QX ever regularly scheduled the Q400 into SBA, although someone else once mentioned that it’s gone in as an equipment substitution on SEA-SBA.

I think United Express did it for awhile.

Back in the late 1970s or 1980s there was an Apollo Airlines that flew SJC-SBA.

Wingtips56

Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
Yes...I agree that any EAT-OAK would definitely have to heavily subsidized. However, I don't think LF will go to ACV because of the proximity of CEC. I think there is some traffic that CEC is seeing is coming from ACV, since it's only an hour or so away.

ACV has service to SFO, so they don't need to drive up to CEC to fly to OAK. When PenAir first started CEC-PDX, people were indeed driving up from ACV, and continued to do so after ACV-PDX started because the subsidized CEC fares were much cheaper. (Btw, it's 1:40 drive airport to airport when there aren't big delays on US 101 ..crumbling cliff road.)

No here, I'm thinking a through trip CEC-ACV-SMF as there is no service in that direction. UAx/OO used to do it until OO retired the Brasilias. The schedule then didn't make a North Coast-Sacramento day trip possible, something LF or any successor should consider. And it might need interline connectivity to fill the planes. It's not out of the realm of possibility, as LF is now in SMF. The difficulty would be supporting a light load on the ACV-CEC-ACV tags, as ACV would be generating the larger portion of traffic. And then there is the fog.

SBA-SJC does make sense if well scheduled. With SBA-SFO/OAK existing, SJC would need well timed flights for business folks, at either end of the business day in order to compete with the nearby other routes. I don't know if anybody has been steady on the route since Apollo/Pacific Coast, which had 4 -5 Jetstreams daily, and covered both business and leisure times. I do think I remember AS*/QX trying a SMF-SJC-SBA run, but that was not successful, and didn't last long.

The trick is LF having enough aircraft and crews to serve our dream lists.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

AirFiero

Mon May 27, 2019 8:15 pm

RWA380 posted some departed flight links that showed Reno Air Express flew it several times a day with J31s. I'm pretty sure AA flew it express during their hub days.

wedgetail737

Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Yes...I agree that any EAT-OAK would definitely have to heavily subsidized. However, I don't think LF will go to ACV because of the proximity of CEC. I think there is some traffic that CEC is seeing is coming from ACV, since it's only an hour or so away.

ACV has service to SFO, so they don't need to drive up to CEC to fly to OAK. When PenAir first started CEC-PDX, people were indeed driving up from ACV, and continued to do so after ACV-PDX started because the subsidized CEC fares were much cheaper. (Btw, it's 1:40 drive airport to airport when there aren't big delays on US 101 ..crumbling cliff road.)

No here, I'm thinking a through trip CEC-ACV-SMF as there is no service in that direction. UAx/OO used to do it until OO retired the Brasilias. The schedule then didn't make a North Coast-Sacramento day trip possible, something LF or any successor should consider. And it might need interline connectivity to fill the planes. It's not out of the realm of possibility, as LF is now in SMF. The difficulty would be supporting a light load on the ACV-CEC-ACV tags, as ACV would be generating the larger portion of traffic. And then there is the fog.

SBA-SJC does make sense if well scheduled. With SBA-SFO/OAK existing, SJC would need well timed flights for business folks, at either end of the business day in order to compete with the nearby other routes. I don't know if anybody has been steady on the route since Apollo/Pacific Coast, which had 4 -5 Jetstreams daily, and covered both business and leisure times. I do think I remember AS*/QX trying a SMF-SJC-SBA run, but that was not successful, and didn't last long.

The trick is LF having enough aircraft and crews to serve our dream lists.

When LF first announced CEC-OAK service, I had heard some people were driving up to CEC for cheap fares because the UA fares were sky-high compared to LF. But that was all hear-say.

wedgetail737

Mon May 27, 2019 9:17 pm

AirFiero wrote:
RWA380 posted some departed flight links that showed Reno Air Express flew it several times a day with J31s. I'm pretty sure AA flew it express during their hub days.

That's probably very true...I'm sure Wings West (AA Eagle) flew the route using J31 or SWM aircraft. Wings West also flew OAK-SBA briefly using SWM, but it was pretty expensive.

RWA380

Mon May 27, 2019 10:09 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

That's probably very true...I'm sure Wings West (AA Eagle) flew the route using J31 or SWM aircraft. Wings West also flew OAK-SBA briefly using SWM, but it was pretty expensive.

Here is the wings west route map from 1986 showing SMF-SBA & service to LMT - http://www.departedflights.com/RM011286.html
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

SBAer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:28 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

United Express did fly that route for a while in the 90s and stopped sometime after 9/11. At one point it was even 4x daily IIRC. I do distinctly remember being in the old SBA terminal and remember a SJC flight that exactly 4 people board it on an EMB-120.

SBAer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:31 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

QX has never done SJC-SBA. I’m also not aware that QX ever regularly scheduled the Q400 into SBA, although someone else once mentioned that it’s gone in as an equipment substitution on SEA-SBA.

I think United Express did it for awhile.

Back in the late 1970s or 1980s there was an Apollo Airlines that flew SJC-SBA.

Q400s have been put on the PDX-SBA schedule in the past. As recently as November 2017, if I am remembering correctly.

sprxUSA

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:50 pm

SBAer wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

United Express did fly that route for a while in the 90s and stopped sometime after 9/11. At one point it was even 4x daily IIRC. I do distinctly remember being in the old SBA terminal and remember a SJC flight that exactly 4 people board it on an EMB-120.

I did a BOI-SEA-SBA-SJC-RNO-BOI day trip once during that time. Flew with about 10 SBA-SC on UA/OO 120. Was a nice summer day lol.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

williaminsd

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
SBAer wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I did a BOI-SEA-SBA-SJC-RNO-BOI day trip once during that time. Flew with about 10 SBA-SC on UA/OO 120. Was a nice summer day lol.

Now THAT sounds like a great day! Had to show my wife this so she knows I'm not the only one lol...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos