Re: Rumor: AS trying to get B6

Sun May 19, 2019 7:45 am

Why hasn’t Boeing made a 757MAX? :hissyfit:

qf772

Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 am

oosnowrat wrote:
GatorClark wrote:

You're forgetting the "what would Pan Am look like today?", "Airbus vs. Boeing", "why aren't airlines buying more 747's/A380's" & more related to this one, "Why doesnt B6 buy F9/NK?"

And "What will replace the HA 717s?"

When will NWA retire the DC9s?
Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

KlimaBXsst

Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 pm

No one needs MINT anyway on a transatlantic
Boom Overture SST flight I might add!
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

KlimaBXsst

Sun May 19, 2019 2:28 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
No one needs MINT anyway on a transatlantic
Boom Overture SST flight I might add!

B6 + AS = BS

DDR

Sun May 19, 2019 2:37 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
Pilots are talking about AS in NYC trying to 8 billion dollar B6 acquisition. Think its all BS... What does everyone think?

You like to reference pilots. Who or which pilots are you speaking with. I’m a pilot. At b6. I don’t hear or see what you see. And since you’ve been on this sight, nothing you’ve predicted has been anywhere near accurate.

Just wondering where your intel is coming from?

How's the Coke to Pepsi transition going?

Awesome post! Thanks for the laugh. :rotfl:

CaptCoolHand

Sun May 19, 2019 3:03 pm

DDR wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:

You like to reference pilots. Who or which pilots are you speaking with. I’m a pilot. At b6. I don’t hear or see what you see. And since you’ve been on this sight, nothing you’ve predicted has been anywhere near accurate.

I’ve avoided the withdrawals but some of the passengers are a little twitchy

KlimaBXsst

Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Sun May 19, 2019 3:45 pm

CaptCoolHand wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
Pilots are talking about AS in NYC trying to 8 billion dollar B6 acquisition. Think its all BS... What does everyone think?

His sources are listening on the employee tram as it drops off from parking lot. That and made up fantasy.

rbavfan

Re: AS trying to get B6

Sun May 19, 2019 3:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Mikeer50 wrote:
Based on the Virgin sale B6 would be closer to 11 Billion.

B6' market cap is $5.36 Billion. Why would anybody think a 100% premium is appropriate?

Bidding war. After all Virgin sold for well past it's value. The slots were the reason to absorb Virgin. Also B6 has a huge asset base that would up the price.

F9Animal

Sun May 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Okay, I wanna play!!! If anyone is ripe for buying, I think AS would be the target for B6 or the majors. Is it plausible B6 could make a play to buy up Alaska? Of course, I think that would open a major bidding war.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Bluewho

Sun May 19, 2019 5:54 pm

DDR wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:

Great actually. We will finally get large bottles of water in the cockpit vs a bag of 20 little ones that end up all over the place. Also an end to Dasani is nice.

lavalampluva

Sun May 19, 2019 6:17 pm

I don’t know where AS would get the $$$. I’d think the Virgin purchase drained the cash reserves.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

DDR

Sun May 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Bluewho wrote:
DDR wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

Great actually. We will finally get large bottles of water in the cockpit vs a bag of 20 little ones that end up all over the place. Also an end to Dasani is nice.

Good you are getting rid of Dasani. It includes unneeded salt.

KlimaBXsst

Sun May 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Bluewho wrote:
Wait how is mint not profitable?

I guess if MINT is truly a remarkably profitable stand alone asset, it could always be “spun off,” in any potential merger with AA AS DL HA F9 UA WNnif these airlines do not want the complication. Here is my observation of other things which might be considered B6 assets too.

> JFK Slots northeast corridor and BOS
> Early delivery positions for the A220
> Mint as a stand alone asset for purchase
> E190s for their fleet pilot commonality with E175s (are they owned?)

> Airbus Fleet easily integrated into 4 of the big 5 US airlines

> Warm weather focus cities hubs for good on time performance in California and Florida

SFOtoORD

Sun May 19, 2019 7:06 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I don’t know where AS would get the $$$. I’d think the Virgin purchase drained the cash reserves.

You don’t make an acquisition this size with cash in the bank. There are many ways they could fund the purchase including issuing debt backed by the asset they are purchasing or issuing more shares.

ASA

Sun May 19, 2019 7:19 pm

I was missing a B6 acquisition thread for a while ... thanks OP!!! :thumbsup:

EA CO AS

Sun May 19, 2019 8:30 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

You’d be wrong. AS has $1.4B in cash on hand plus billions in unencumbered assets and has already paid off half of the cost incurred to buy VX outright. The re-de-leveraging of the balance sheet is happening at a breakneck pace.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

CobaltScar

Sun May 19, 2019 8:40 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

You’d be wrong. AS has $1.4B in cash on hand plus billions in unencumbered assets and has already paid off half of the cost incurred to buy VX outright. The re-de-leveraging of the balance sheet is happening at a breakneck pace.

They are also getting run out of the trans con game by B6 and are withering on the vine in Cali vs. WN.

Its time for another desperate gamble imo.

CobaltScar

Sun May 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Bluewho wrote:
DDR wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

What makes you think you will get a big bottle up front? They are still going to carry the small baby bottles , just made by a different company and less of them. And its 12, not 20.

Or so I heard from a neighbor.

wnflyguy

Mon May 20, 2019 12:37 am

It B6 found itself up for sale it would definitely not be bought buy AlaskaAir.
If Anyone is buying JetBlue it will be Southwest.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Bluewho

Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Bluewho wrote:

I guess if MINT is truly a remarkably profitable stand alone asset, it could always be “spun off,” in any potential merger with AA AS DL HA F9 UA WNnif these airlines do not want the complication. Here is my observation of other things which might be considered B6 assets too.

> Warm weather focus cities hubs for good on time performance in California and Florida

Spin it off to what? We aren’t talking GE or Sears here where they can spin off brands or small companies.
Mint is actually extremely successful even more than they thought. The original plan was only for 10 mint planes. It turned the lowest profit routes (trans cons) into the most profitable routes. Heck the Europe idea is pretty much because of a successful mint product.

Bluewho

Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 am

CobaltScar wrote:
Bluewho wrote:
DDR wrote:

What makes you think you will get a big bottle up front? They are still going to carry the small baby bottles , just made by a different company and less of them. And its 12, not 20.

Or so I heard from a neighbor.

How about an email from flight ops which said two big bottles for the flight deck. The smaller bottles will be for the 321s that have the market place. But what would I know. Oh are we going to start some kids of water wars now ;)

TheEuphorian

Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 am

I can see that AS will get rid of B6's Mint product in favor of their "business" class recliners.

Bluewho

Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
I can see that AS will get rid of B6's Mint product in favor of their "business" class recliners.

Good plan because mint makes money and the “business class recliners” do what?

joeycapps

Mon May 20, 2019 3:02 am

Asked a friend who happens to fly for the airline in question. Has zero knowledge of any rumor of this circulating. I know we have some B6 pilots on here, so I'm genuinely curious if my friend is just not part of the cool kids club, or if these rumors really aren't as widespread as some make them out to be.

PS: HA is going to replace the 717 with a mix of 757's and Concordes. I heard it from a friend at Flying Food Group first.

EDIT: Off my grammar game tonight.

Bobloblaw

Mon May 20, 2019 3:23 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Bluewho wrote:

Mint is not a division of JetBlue. It is a class of service on certain routes.

usxguy

Mon May 20, 2019 3:31 am

If Alaska & JetBlue merge, I hope they both dump their sugar drink offerings and go back to Jones Cola :)
xx

EA CO AS

Mon May 20, 2019 6:24 am

CobaltScar wrote:
They are also getting run out of the trans con game by B6 and are withering on the vine in Cali

Then why are they expanding intra-CA and haven’t cut transcons?

Do you honestly believe the team at AS has no idea what they’re doing, and are just incapable of competing?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

spacecadet

Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 am

joeycapps wrote:
Asked a friend who happens to fly for the airline in question. Has zero knowledge of any rumor of this circulating. I know we have some B6 pilots on here, so I'm genuinely curious if my friend is just not part of the cool kids club, or if these rumors really aren't as widespread as some make them out to be.

I don't know too much about rumors circulating amongst pilots (why would that even matter?), but I can tell you that *corporate* JetBlue folks just laugh at stuff like this. Because it's just over and over, the same stuff, neverending. The funniest rumor story I heard was that one of them actually started over the brand of ketchup packets JetBlue had at some company function, which happened to be the brand of ketchup packets some other airline uses. That alone led to a whole new round of "omg B6 is about to be bought by XXXX!!!!" on here and elsewhere. Of course, that was years ago now and nothing came of it. Nothing ever comes of any of these supposed rumors, because they're just random people spinning their wheels. There is a group of people here and probably elsewhere that just can't believe a company like JetBlue has survived this long and turns a profit, so they *must* be about to be taken over by somebody. All the time. For the last 20 years.

Someday JetBlue may merge with somebody. Things happen in business. If that ever does happen, it won't be based on any rumor you read here. Nobody here knows anything, and I think the fact that JetBlue still exists as an independent entity is ironclad proof of that. Because if anybody here did know anything, one of these rumors would have come true by now.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

speedbird52

Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 am

Bobloblaw wrote:
Why hasn’t Boeing made a 757MAX? :hissyfit:

Plot twist: The new NMA is 707 MAX

DL717

Mon May 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Blueknows wrote:

Maybe try and focus on running the airline they have rather than wind up more financially upside down than they already are. Right now they are one bad recession from becoming nobody’s airline. Then JetBlue and Delta will pick up the pieces. DL will take the Boeing and JetBlue the Airbi.

Anyway, just more pilot lounge nonsense jibber jabber anyway.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

gunsontheroof

Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

They are also getting run out of the trans con game by B6 and are withering on the vine in Cali vs. WN.

Ummm...OK. care to expand on that with sources?
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

tphuang

Mon May 20, 2019 2:12 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

they admitted it in the earnings call and I've posted the numbers all over the place on this forum. The cali transcon market is a major weak spot for AS right now.

LAXBUR

Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm

tphuang wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

they admitted it in the earnings call and I've posted the numbers all over the place on this forum. The cali transcon market is a major weak spot for AS right now.

JetBlue has also said the same.

https://skift.com/2019/03/06/jetblue-an ... -fare-war/

The narrative on here is that Alaska is broke and mismanaged. Maybe they are! The Wall Street analysis I read suggests otherwise, that things are improving. I’ll go with Wall Street analysts over airliners.net analysts. I mean many on here do know better. They also seem to know what caused a plane crash within hours of it happening.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... d-for.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/05/ ... -apri.aspx

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska-a ... 01572.html

acavpics

Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 pm

AS buying B6.... Haha you funny.

umichman

Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 pm

acavpics wrote:
AS buying B6.... Haha you funny.

Neither airline is really in a position to "buy" the other. That said, there's no reason they couldn't come together as part of a mutually agreed upon merger which is exactly how DL/NW, UA/CO, AA/US all got together. There are many types of mergers. Just because it wouldn't be a AS/VX or WN/FL style acquisition doesn't mean they can't get together. Are these concepts really that challenging to folks?

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... equity.asp

MIflyer12

Mon May 20, 2019 3:21 pm

DL717 wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Maybe try and focus on running the airline they have rather than wind up more financially upside down than they already are. Right now they are one bad recession from becoming nobody’s airline.

AS is not in financial peril. If you spent some time with the financial statements (start with the balance sheet) you could see that ALK actually carries less long-term debt than JBLU and has comparable net operating cash flow. They aren't even close in Market Capitalization: ALK at $7.71B and B6 at 5.31B.

That said, a return to operational excellence could be rewarded. Look at how DL has put some distance between itself and AA and UA (and has been rewarded in RASM); look at Spirit vs. Frontier. Reliability is good.

LAXBUR

Mon May 20, 2019 3:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Maybe try and focus on running the airline they have rather than wind up more financially upside down than they already are. Right now they are one bad recession from becoming nobody’s airline.

AS is not in financial peril. If you spent some time with the financial statements (start with the balance sheet) you could see that ALK actually carries less long-term debt than JBLU and has comparable net operating cash flow. They aren't even close in Market Capitalization: ALK at $7.71B and B6 at 5.31B.

That said, a return to operational excellence could be rewarded. Look at how DL has put some distance between itself and AA and UA (and has been rewarded in RASM); look at Spirit vs. Frontier. Reliability is good.

Be careful with facts. Many on here are allergic. :lol:

tphuang

Mon May 20, 2019 4:56 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
tphuang wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:

The narrative on here is that Alaska is broke and mismanaged. Maybe they are! The Wall Street analysis I read suggests otherwise, that things are improving. I’ll go with Wall Street analysts over airliners.net analysts. I mean many on here do know better. They also seem to know what caused a plane crash within hours of it happening.

except that when JetBlue did worse in these cali-transcon markets, they were still doing better margin wise than AS in these markets. All the data from past quarters prove that.

If both carriers did 10% worse than a year ago, then the carrier that did better a year ago is still doing better this year by the same margin.

Does that make sense?

As for wall street analysts, I wouldn't boast ALK given their stock performances recently if i were you.

MIflyer12 wrote:

in the past year, the non-GAAP profit numbers for JBLU (if you subtract out the E90/new labor contract cost) and ALK are pretty similar actually. Really doesn't justify the higher market cap of ALK imo. And if you look at their asset, I would say what B6 has at NYC and BOS is more valuable than what ALK has at SEA/SFO/LAX. In an actual takeover, it would require quite a premium to acquire all that gate space and slots that B6 has at JFK.

cpl22586

Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Another JetBlue merger thread....This is not going to happen. In LSC there haven't been the slightest whispers of a Alaska JetBlue merger. Of all the rumors going around this isn't one of them.

Detroit313

Mon May 20, 2019 7:46 pm

Alaska should go to American Airlines and JetBlue to United.

nine4nine

Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Alaska should go to American Airlines and JetBlue to United.

Yes just what we need. More mega carriers, less competition, less flight options, higher fares, more decaying service standards. Sounds like a flyers utopia. What’s with you people and mergermania?.?.?
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

Detroit313

Mon May 20, 2019 8:13 pm

The only way Alaska can survive against global airlines like Delta, United and American is to become part of a legacy airline.

Otherwise they will never make money with so much competition by Delta in Seattle.

Revelation

Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 pm

qf772 wrote:
oosnowrat wrote:
GatorClark wrote:
You're forgetting the "what would Pan Am look like today?", "Airbus vs. Boeing", "why aren't airlines buying more 747's/A380's" & more related to this one, "Why doesnt B6 buy F9/NK?"

And "What will replace the HA 717s?"

When will NWA retire the DC9s?

When will the A380 break even? :bomb:
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

msp747

Mon May 20, 2019 8:25 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
The only way Alaska can survive against global airlines like Delta, United and American is to become part of a legacy airline.

Otherwise they will never make money with so much competition by Delta in Seattle.

I've been hearing this tired argument for more than 20 years, yet AS remains.

LAXBUR

Mon May 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Detroit313 wrote:

But they do make money in Seattle. What is it with people on this board making grandiose remarks without providing any relevant data or links?

LAXBUR

Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 pm

tphuang wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
tphuang wrote:

except that when JetBlue did worse in these cali-transcon markets, they were still doing better margin wise than AS in these markets. All the data from past quarters prove that.

If both carriers did 10% worse than a year ago, then the carrier that did better a year ago is still doing better this year by the same margin.

Does that make sense?

As for wall street analysts, I wouldn't boast ALK given their stock performances recently if i were you.

MIflyer12 wrote:

in the past year, the non-GAAP profit numbers for JBLU (if you subtract out the E90/new labor contract cost) and ALK are pretty similar actually. Really doesn't justify the higher market cap of ALK imo. And if you look at their asset, I would say what B6 has at NYC and BOS is more valuable than what ALK has at SEA/SFO/LAX. In an actual takeover, it would require quite a premium to acquire all that gate space and slots that B6 has at JFK.

I wasn't boasting at all. Nothing in my post suggested anything anti-B6 but you tend to have an anti-Alaska agenda. ALK has an average overweight rating while JBLU is a hold. But apparently you know more than everyone else. Even that Alaska's market cap isn't correct.

EA CO AS

Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
you tend to have an anti-Alaska agenda.

:checkmark:

It's pretty noticeable, and it's not just here.

tphuang

Mon May 20, 2019 11:00 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
tphuang wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

Does that make sense?

MIflyer12 wrote:

I wasn't boasting at all. Nothing in my post suggested anything anti-B6 but you tend to have an anti-Alaska agenda. ALK has an average overweight rating while JBLU is a hold. But apparently you know more than everyone else. Even that Alaska's market cap isn't correct.

Here is where you are wrong. I may have my favorites, but my comments about performance are purely based on data. There have been plenty of as supporters liking my comments about as doing well and dl doing poorly in Seattle. I call it as I see it. It's not exactly a secret that as had the worst margins in the publicly listed us airlines in the past 2 quarters.

LAXBUR

Mon May 20, 2019 11:09 pm

tphuang wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Does that make sense?

Here is where you are wrong. I may have my favorites, but my comments about performance are purely based on data. There have been plenty of as supporters liking my comments about as doing well and dl doing poorly in Seattle. I call it as I see it. It's not exactly a secret that as had the worst margins in the publicly listed us airlines in the past 2 quarters.

I'm glad you have so many supporters. Kudos! But don't act like providing specific data in certain posts isn't a way to boost your opinion and reputation so people don't challenge you. Alaska has underperformed but Wall Street feels they're improving. That was my point. Nowhere did I say, "Alaska is on top" or "Alaska is outperforming JetBlue. When I simply noted JetBlue also had concerns about the transcontinental market you decided to prove JetBlue is the better. Great. Cool. What you've decided to do is insert your opinion that Alaska stock isn't doing well and even that Alaska's market cap is overvalued. Then you made the above reply that you have so many fans in an attempt to try to shut people down that challenge you because you are the "Data God".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos