747megatop
Topic Author

B 797 - One pilot cockpit?

Mon May 20, 2019 7:56 pm

CNBC has a report out stating that B 797 may be a one pilot cockpit aircraft with the 2nd pilot being a ground based pilot monitoring multiple aircraft!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/20/boeings ... board.html

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if it becomes reality. We all know that the military flies unmanned drones with ground based pilots; so the technology exists BUT it is a an entirely different ballgame with 100s of passengers on an aircraft.

SierraPacific

Re: B 797 - One pilot cockpit?

Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm

With the safety record on predators, I am not too concerned that this technology will be in the civilian sector anytime soon.

I will be very interested to see if Boeing actually goes through with this since it goes against everything we have learned in commercial aviation in the past 40 years. CRM has been one of the biggest developments to aviation safety and has saved countless aircraft from accidents and this all goes out the window with Single Pilot. I would hope the pay rate on this aircraft will be plus 500+ an hour since the Captian is now the sole person responsible for 250+ people.

mikejepp

Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Heres what I don't get about this....

If a plane is designed to fly with one pilot, it has to be designed to fly with none. Because that pilot "system" has too high of a failure rate to operate without a backup.

And if a plane can fly with none, why would it be designed to fly with one? An unmanned airplane would be a huge cost savings... much more than any gain you could get from justifications for keeping a pilot up there at all.

pdp

Mon May 20, 2019 8:10 pm

This seems a bad idea.

A drone is fine in the desert, but 100s of souls flying into London is a different matter! Do pilots even make up a significant portion of a flight's costs?

I can't imagine how busy it'd be in the cockpit with one pilot trying to talk with ATC and fly in a very tightly packed area such as the London TMA!

Aesma

Mon May 20, 2019 8:15 pm

The main pilot would be the autopilot. Like today, some of you might say, but no, I mean the person in the cockpit would do nothing but look at what the computer is doing. And communications, maybe.

Of course that's easier said than done, see "safety drivers" in autonomous cars that can't be bothered to look at the road, or drivers misusing Tesla's autopilot.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

m66

Mon May 20, 2019 8:17 pm

I think how "well" IT works in the cockpit has been proven quite well lately.
Last edited by m66 on Mon May 20, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiowa

Mon May 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Next thing you know they will propose getting rid of the flight engineer on the 737s. Seriously though. BAD idea!-way to much at stake and way to many variables involved.

32andBelow

Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 pm

pdp wrote:
This seems a bad idea.

A drone is fine in the desert, but 100s of souls flying into London is a different matter! Do pilots even make up a significant portion of a flight's costs?

I can't imagine how busy it'd be in the cockpit with one pilot trying to talk with ATC and fly in a very tightly packed area such as the London TMA!

You don’t think drones fly over cities?

StTim

Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 pm

You know I would not want to be on a one pilot plane. Sorry just not ready to accept that.

UpNAWAy

Mon May 20, 2019 8:22 pm

We could of course fly without pilots now, the technology is there and ultimately it would be safer. Just as autonomous cars would reduce accidents by 90+% so might autonomous aircraft.

The hard part is not the technology but the getting there...regulatory, legal, public acceptance, etc. It will take generations for those reasons.

SierraPacific

Mon May 20, 2019 8:23 pm

32andBelow wrote:
pdp wrote:
This seems a bad idea.

You don’t think drones fly over cities?

Not the size of a 767 at 400 MPH, Drones do not interact with the airspace system and require hours of preplanning to launch a mission. The technology is just not practical for a commercial airliner and won't be for decades.

If you meant the RC quadcopters that have been labeled as drones then yes they do.

Bricktop

Mon May 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Not. A. Chance.

Seabear

Mon May 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Why not get rid of flight attendants at the same time? After all, 99.999% of the time they're nothing more than glorified cocktail waitresses. Just set up a vending machine in the back. Just sayin'.

/s

kalvado

Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Can be something designed with 2 pilot seats and provisions for eventual downgrade for 1, e.g. remote control built in but not activated until approved.
Zero-pilot flight may have reduced functionality, e.g. divert to nearest airport only, with ATC giving priority pass to a troubled aircraft. Pilot who is suddenly unable to operate most likely means medical emergency and landing ASAP anyway.

aviationaware

Mon May 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Fake news. Next. Who believes seriously that Boeing, after just having a major PR safety meltdown, would risk all the negative press around this? Not remotely worth the return.

747megatop
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 pm

I wish they try this technology on CEOs first. Whichever manufacturer wants to jump into this (Boeing OR Airbus etc.)...their CEO and board members must fly on such a plane for a couple of years at least and if they think it is safe to fly then the industry can think of extending it to flying passengers :-).

ferren

Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm

I think that Boeing software engineers wont be in position to even think about this level of automation for next few years...

smartplane

Mon May 20, 2019 8:53 pm

They have to get insurance industry support. Based on the MAX 'saved' with a 3rd pilot on the flight deck, probably pressure for more flight crew, not less.

Negative. On one hand Boeing complain about flight crew competence, and then have an idea to remove a pathway to gaining hours and experience.

Positive. Could be used to achieve CORSIA targets, by increasing passenger fear of flying, reducing demand and carbon emissions.

If a genuine Boeing press release, useful deflection from their centre stage issue.

Arion640

Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 pm

The unions will put a stop to any such idea.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

kiowa

Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm

It would be much safer and more economic to cut the US Senate and Congress by 50% and then outsource the remaining 50% to another country with cheaper labor.

Heinkel

Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Bricktop wrote:
Not. A. Chance.

May be not from Boeing. They are sometimes so old school. (Control yokes, no FBW, etc...)

I'm quite sure, that in the next 20 years we'll have the "one pilot flght deck" with a second pilot on the ground. And most of the time the computer will fly the a/c. The pilot on the flight deck is only there for the peace of mind of the pax. Don't touch the controls.

When I did my first flight on a B737 in 1971, it had a three-man-cockpit. Real longhaul a/c had four or five. And today? Two-person flight deck is standard and safety has increased. The statistics don't lie.

The next logical step is to go to one pilot. To build and operate a fully autonomous a/c is much easier than a fully autonomous car. The trafic in the air is much less dense and well guided and controlled. No uncontrolled pedestrians, children, push bikes, wildlife etc.

So I'm quite sure, that we'll have autonomous a/c earlier than autonomous cars. May be in some countries they'll let a so called pilot on the flight deck. Like they let a fireman / stoker on diesel locomotives.

747megatop
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 pm

kiowa wrote:
It would be much safer and more economic to cut the US Senate and Congress by 50% and then outsource the remaining 50% to another country with cheaper labor.

While at it, why not cut 50% of board of directors and upper management of companies?
Last edited by 747megatop on Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karlsands

Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 pm

747megatop wrote:
CNBC has a report out stating that B 797 may be a one pilot cockpit aircraft with the 2nd pilot being a ground based pilot monitoring multiple aircraft!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/20/boeings ... board.html

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if it becomes reality. We all know that the military flies unmanned drones with ground based pilots; so the technology exists BUT it is a an entirely different ballgame with 100s of passengers on an aircraft.

It is CNBC after all, I would assume it’s made up garbage at the least. What a joke

SierraPacific

Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Not. A. Chance.

May be not from Boeing. They are sometimes so old school. (Control yokes, no FBW, etc...)

I'm quite sure, that in the next 20 years we'll have the "one pilot flght deck" with a second pilot on the ground. And most of the time the computer will fly the a/c. The pilot on the flight deck is only there for the peace of mind of the pax. Don't touch the controls.

When I did my first flight on a B737 in 1971, it had a three-man-cockpit. Real longhaul a/c had four or five. And today? Two-person flight deck is standard and safety has increased. The statistics don't lie.

The next logical step is to go to one pilot. To build and operate a fully autonomous a/c is much easier than a fully autonomous car. The trafic in the air is much less dense and well guided and controlled. No uncontrolled pedestrians, children, push bikes, wildlife etc.

So I'm quite sure, that we'll have autonomous a/c earlier than autonomous cars. May be in some countries they'll let a so called pilot on the flight deck. Like they let a fireman / stoker on diesel locomotives.

When an AI can successfully navigate a fast developing storm with multiple systems on the MEL then perform an Autoland from an RNAV approach then maybe but that time is not even close to being here.

ferminbrif

Mon May 20, 2019 9:18 pm

We all already know that its technically possible an unmanned airliner cockpit. Nevertheless, who would like to fly in such a plane?.
Everybody would be afraid or unwilling to fly in such conditions. Human touch is always needed.
Somebody else remember Air Canada FL-143 (Gimli Glider) or US Airways AWE1549 or Air Transat 236…..??

Heinkel

Mon May 20, 2019 9:25 pm

smartplane wrote:
They have to get insurance industry support. Based on the MAX 'saved' with a 3rd pilot on the flight deck, probably pressure for more flight crew, not less.

So you really think, that the next clean sheet design from Boeing will come with a "3-pilot-flight-deck" again? Like in the good old days?
Do you suggest for the re-certification of the MAX to make the requirement, that a third "overwiew pilot" has to be on the flight deck all the time? Who only has to give helpful advice in case of a MCAS failure.

I don't think so. The future is towards the "one-pilot-cockpit". Like it or not. Boeing won't ask you.

VSMUT

Mon May 20, 2019 9:27 pm

mikejepp wrote:

If a plane is designed to fly with one pilot, it has to be designed to fly with none. Because that pilot "system" has too high of a failure rate to operate without a backup.

And if a plane can fly with none, why would it be designed to fly with one? An unmanned airplane would be a huge cost savings... much more than any gain you could get from justifications for keeping a pilot up there at all.

You hit the nail on the head. The one-pilot concept is a fallacy.

UpNAWAy wrote:
We could of course fly without pilots now, the technology is there and ultimately it would be safer. Just as autonomous cars would reduce accidents by 90+% so might autonomous aircraft.

The hard part is not the technology but the getting there...regulatory, legal, public acceptance, etc. It will take generations for those reasons.

No, technology really isn't anywhere close to autonomous flight. It would be a stretch just to make aircraft fly autonomously under the best of conditions, completely impossible in more realistic conditions or with a systems failure thrown in. That isn't even including the inadequate ground facilities in many parts of the world. Autonomous flight would require a new way to communicate between controllers and aircraft, simple VHF sets no longer being up to the task.

Heinkel

Mon May 20, 2019 9:27 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
Heinkel wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Not. A. Chance.

When an AI can successfully navigate a fast developing storm with multiple systems on the MEL then perform an Autoland from an RNAV approach then maybe but that time is not even close to being here.

Not today but in rough 20 years I'm quite sure.

Heinkel

Mon May 20, 2019 9:37 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Autonomous flight would require a new way to communicate between controllers and aircraft, simple VHF sets no longer being up to the task.

Indeed.

It is so stone aged, to make the essential communication between aircraft and controllers via VHF voice messages. And I say this as a former trained military radio operator.

This way of communication is so outdated and unreliable (Teneriffe someone?). The only reason, why it is still legal is because it is grandfathered. The VHF communication system would never get a permission under today's safety standards as a new design.

Bricktop

Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Heinkel wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
Heinkel wrote:

Not today but in rough 20 years I'm quite sure.

ie probably not in my lifetime. Of course in 50 years if they don't have Star Trek transporters yet, then maybe.

Chemist

Mon May 20, 2019 9:47 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Not. A. Chance.

The yoke vs sidestick UI doesn't really affect the ability of the plane so I don't know why you bring that up.
Boeing's newest models are also FBW.

Chemist

Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 pm

This is a great idea! Boeing can have a well-trained pilot who will have trouble staying awake on flights without another crew member in the cockpit. The electronic pilot will be named Emily Cass and she will take over, will be called MCAS for short.

xxcr

Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 pm

hmm...not too sure how i feel about this. Where would the backup be if the pilot passed out? got sick? bathroom break? What if the pilot was crazy like the one on Germanwings? Even if there was a co-pilot on the ground that could monitor the flight, its still a safety risk. Im sure we'll have planes without pilots in the future, but i think its way too early for the technology. Too many things could go wrong IMO.

VS11

Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Such a development would be predicated on data communication between the aircraft and the ground ATC. What do you do if such communication is lost and the single pilot is incapacitated? Or in the case of no pilot, how would the aircraft be controlled? On top of this, it would require never failing electrical systems/batteries. The bulk of pilot training is emergency procedures. How is such a complicated collection of systems going to troubleshoot itself?

B737Captain1980

Mon May 20, 2019 10:23 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

We can't fly wiithout pilots yet. All of our CAT III autoland procedures are predicated off very strict limits on weather. For example, If we exceed certain crosswinds limits, CAT III autoland is not permitted. The approach would have to be hand flown. Additionally, ALL single engine approaches MUST be hand flown. Theres a bunch of scenarios that don't work without a human at the controls. We are still decades away from this ever happening.

frmrCapCadet

Mon May 20, 2019 10:26 pm

It makes sense that any new plane would be potentially able to fly with one pilot. Entry in service after 2025 and at least 40 years of service. There are combat planes which are reliant on computer to stay in the air.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

WorldFlier

Mon May 20, 2019 10:28 pm

mikejepp wrote:

I believe we are done here. Either you need a backup or you don't need a single person. The risk of failure is too high because if there's an issue with the pilot, what are the odds that there isn't an issue with the ground link?

Too high.

Bluewho

Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm

kiowa wrote:
Next thing you know they will propose getting rid of the flight engineer on the 737s. Seriously though. BAD idea!-way to much at stake and way to many variables involved.

Except that engineer was not needed. Look unless you really change pilot workload you need two people up there. Are we sometimes sitting there doing nothing you bet, but there are certainly times you are absolutely task saturated. I understand everyone is going to say well the guy on the ground or it’s not that bad or technology this or that but unless you are there to see how that other pilot sitting next to you is a major asset you will never understand. This to me is a solution looking for a problem.

Bluewho

Mon May 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Not. A. Chance.

Yes because I have never caught major mistakes by ATC. Definitely never had the autopilot crap out on me. Certainly never had an FMS failure or anything like that.

It’s not just pilots you are really going to need to fix ATC and really bulk up how reliable the automated systems are.
I don’t think some on here understand exactly what pilots do on here.

BoeingGuy

Mon May 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Heinkel wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Not. A. Chance.

I didn’t realize that Boeing doesn’t make FBW airplanes.

This is bogus. The NMA is being designed for a two-crew flight deck. One pilot is not even being contemplated for the NMA, AFAIK.

Bluewho

Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 pm

VS11 wrote:
Such a development would be predicated on data communication between the aircraft and the ground ATC. What do you do if such communication is lost and the single pilot is incapacitated? Or in the case of no pilot, how would the aircraft be controlled? On top of this, it would require never failing electrical systems/batteries. The bulk of pilot training is emergency procedures. How is such a complicated collection of systems going to troubleshoot itself?

That is correct and when the engine fails the last thing I want to do is be talking to a guy on the ground. Heck we are trained to basically tell ATC to leave us alone (respectfully) while we run the checklist. Far easier and better situational awareness to be talking with the guy next to you. To confirm and guard the operating engine, to run the numbers and fly the plane while you comply with the emergency checklist. Again I think we have many that don’t understand what pilots do or how we interact with ATC dispatch the flight attendants each other and the plane. That would bring about a better discussion vs yeah computers could do better because.......technology.

scbriml

Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Cockpits of the future will feature a single pilot and a dog. The pilot is there to feed the dog. The dog is there to bite the pilot if he touches any of the controls.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

VS11

Mon May 20, 2019 11:02 pm

In terms of technology, there are experiments/trials of voice-recognition-controlled cockpits. Think Siri. The commands could very well be coming from the ground using current radio equipment. But again, the real issue is emergencies and how you handle them.

stlgph

Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Dont eat the fish
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

nikeherc

Mon May 20, 2019 11:19 pm

mikejepp wrote:

And if a plane can fly with none, why would it be designed to fly with one? An unmanned airplane would be’ a huge cost savings... much more than any gain you could get from justifications for keeping a pilot up there at all.

Think of how much could be saved by eliminating the passengers. You could charge them full fare and send back pictures from the drone (plane). If it would be the return “flight,” you wouldn’t even need to send pictures since those passengers would already be there.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

Pcoder

Mon May 20, 2019 11:34 pm

A bit of a stupid a article as there's no chance of a passenger plane dropping down to one pilot in the next decade. Public acceptance is not there for such a move.

Changes like this would take a while and be initially tested in something like cargo planes. You'll still need an extensive period before it was even considered for passenger flights.

Scarebus34

Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Not a chance in hell any pilot union agrees to this.

UPS757Pilot

Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 pm

From the CNBC article:

"Boeing Research and Technology Vice-President Charles Toups said in February that one-pilot jets would likely begin with cargo flights and it would be a “couple of decades” before passengers would be convinced of their safety."

So will there be a cargo version of the 797 at the beginning?

goboeing

Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 am

Ha.

Right.

"Autoland failed; aircraft drifted right of centerline on final" in the logbook last week. Brand new A321.

NWAROOSTER

Tue May 21, 2019 12:30 am

Not a chance that this could happen. If you have have a failure of electronic or any systems it usually takes two qualified pilots to handle the aircraft. Sometimes three. One flying the aircraft and one operating the radios and trouble shooting the problems. What if you have a rudder hard over like happened on a Northwest 747 flying over the Aleutian Islands and it took two pilots to keep the aircraft under control by pushing on the rudder petals to overcome the problem with a failed actuator. Luckily the 747 has a split rudder so only about one half of the rudder was affected. Airbus had proposed this when the A320 came out but it never happened. The other problem would be what about a medical emergency with the lone pilot. Who would fly the aircraft. There are still some things that must be done by the flight crew such as lowering the landing gear and being able to see the runway. Braniff Airways had a Captain die while flying their 747-127, the big pumpkin, from HNL to Dallas, TX on his retirement flight. I do not think the paying passengers would stand for this and aviation would be in a tail spin. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos