A3bilbaNEO
Topic Author

TWA800 “zoom climb” on other crashes?

Tue May 21, 2019 4:14 am

During the breakup sequence of this flight, we all know the nose separated approximately at the leading edge of the wings, followed by a climb and subsequent stall of the remaining aircraft. Im not quite into conspiracies about this crash, but i’ve been wondering, did these flights pitch up and climb before tumbling down like twa800 after its foward fuselage separated?

Pan Am 103
MH17
JAT 367
Hughes Airwest 706
Lake Central 527
UTA 772
Air India 182

Rudenko

Re: TWA800 “zoom climb” on other crashes?

Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 am

Not sure about the rest, but I have read that Pan Am 103s cockpit tore off in 2 seconds, went up, came back down and then tore off the number 3 engine and damaged the horizontal stab on the way back.
I believe the rest of the aircraft went slightly to the right and down, breaking into 2 large sections.

Crackshot

Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 am

Keep in mind the explosion happened while the aircraft was climbing. Indeed, the last words on the CVR was the Flight Engineer saying that the climb power was set. All the other crashes you listed happened during cruise.

SL1200MK2

Tue May 21, 2019 6:39 am

A3bilbaNEO wrote:
During the breakup sequence of this flight, we all know the nose separated approximately at the leading edge of the wings, followed by a climb and subsequent stall of the remaining aircraft. Im not quite into conspiracies about this crash, but i’ve been wondering, did these flights pitch up and climb before tumbling down like twa800 after its foward fuselage separated?

Pan Am 103
MH17
JAT 367
Hughes Airwest 706
Lake Central 527
UTA 772
Air India 182

Howdy! I’m curious as to why your question may imply a conspiracy. It seems like a question that makes sense, which is why I’m wondering.

Many thanks.

Crackshot

Tue May 21, 2019 7:03 am

SL1200MK2 wrote:
A3bilbaNEO wrote:

Pan Am 103
MH17
JAT 367
Hughes Airwest 706
Lake Central 527
UTA 772
Air India 182

Howdy! I’m curious as to why your question may imply a conspiracy. It seems like a question that makes sense, which is why I’m wondering.

Many thanks.

I can’t speak for OP here, but one of the many controversies in the investigation was the “streak of light”. The conspiracy claim is that it was a missile, but whereas the NTSB suggested that it was an optical illusion, and the streak of light was actually the largely intact but nonetheless on fire jumbo climbing under its volition (the engines were set to climb power just before the explosion) until it went down. I personally believe the NTSBs report is the most accurate but this is a sore point in the whole saga.

BartSimpson

Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am

Crackshot wrote:
Keep in mind the explosion happened while the aircraft was climbing. Indeed, the last words on the CVR was the Flight Engineer saying that the climb power was set. All the other crashes you listed happened during cruise.

Layman here:

If a bigger front part of the fuselage breaks off neatly, wouldn't that result in a shift of the center of gravity backwards, resulting in a positive angle of attack even in cruise (at least for a few seconds)?

tu204

Tue May 21, 2019 10:57 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Crackshot wrote:

Layman here:

If a bigger front part of the fuselage breaks off neatly, wouldn't that result in a shift of the center of gravity backwards, resulting in a positive angle of attack even in cruise (at least for a few seconds)?

That's my thought as well.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Crackshot

Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Crackshot wrote:

Layman here:

tu204 wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
Crackshot wrote:

Layman here:

That's my thought as well.

Looking at animated recreations for Pan Am 103, Air India 182 and China Airlines 611, they all broke-up in a matter of seconds. If I had to guess I'd say it was because of the altitude (all were at + FL300). TWA was only at around 130/140, so the effects of decompression wouldn't have been a consideration. Keep in mind I'm just a layman as well, so this is guesswork on my part

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos