Blimpie
Topic Author

Equine Flights

Tue May 21, 2019 8:48 am

The other day I had to dispatch a report/photographer out to BWI to catch an equine flight arriving for the Preakness. But, just causally wondering, how do these companies make money? I mean, you'd have to move quite a few horses per flight to make any money off a 727 these days, especially if you do not have the belly full of cargo.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

VSMUT

Re: Equine Flights

Tue May 21, 2019 9:02 am

Blimpie wrote:
The other day I had to dispatch a report/photographer out to BWI to catch an equine flight arriving for the Preakness. But, just causally wondering, how do these companies make money? I mean, you'd have to move quite a few horses per flight to make any money off a 727 these days, especially if you do not have the belly full of cargo.

It's a hobby for billionaires. They pay what's necessary to move their horses around.

And they don't even fly those 727s economically. They fly them at low levels so the horses don't suffer at low pressures.

mmo

Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 am

Have flown quite a few racing horse flights, not even charters but on scheduled flights. The cost for the horses alone was over 1 million, then add the 2 grooms and the vet to go SYD-DXB-DUB and you can see how profitable that operation is. We landed within 2 tonnes of MLW!
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

MartijnNL

Tue May 21, 2019 12:10 pm

What is an "equine flight"?
What is "the Preakness"?
What is "MLW"?

There's a lot to learn in this thread! ;)

Bongodog49

Tue May 21, 2019 12:20 pm

These horses are some of the most valuable cargo flown. its not just moving them around for racing, there's the breeding as well. Stud fees can run to over £100k for one serving, so the flight costs aren't that significant.

Polot

Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
What is "the Preakness"?
What is "MLW"?

Equine flight- transporting horses (equine= relating to horses)

The Preakness- The Preakness Stake, a derby in Baltimore Maryland and race number 2 of the Triple Crown.

MLW- maximum landing weight?

mwhcvt

Tue May 21, 2019 12:27 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
What is "the Preakness"?
What is "MLW"?

1. A flight for horses
2. A specific horse race
3. Max Landing Weight
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

Acey559

Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
What is "the Preakness"?
What is "MLW"?

Flights with horses as their primary cargo.

The Preakness is one of the major horse races here in the US.

Maximum Landing Weight

Hope that helps!

If it was the Kalitta Charters 727, that airplane is specifically outfitted for horse flights. My airline used to fly quite a number of horse charters but quit doing it because we had an airplane in heavy check for 4 months due to corrosion. Horse urine is incredibly corrosive so if the plane isn’t designed for it, the urine will seep into places and get all over. Apparently our plane had flight control cables (among other things) that were almost completely worn through because of it.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

eicvd

Tue May 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Godolphin, one of the racing worlds biggest owners/breeders have 2 aircraft operating equine flights for them. A 737 operated by West Atlantic on their behalf & a 747 by the Dubai Air Wing. Coincidentally Godolphins rivals Coolmore charted the 747 to fly their horses out to Dubai for World Cup night. Interestingly Coolmore usually fly their horses from SNN to the UK for a race on the day of the race & back that night! I know usually charter TNT 146s for that. Last couple of September’s for our ‘Champions Weekend’ we’ve seen a Cavok An-72 here in DUB in from France.
COYBIB

zuckie13

Tue May 21, 2019 1:26 pm

The two keys to remember:

1) The folks who own the horses are already rich, so cost probably doesn't phase them. After all, they are probably following the horse in their G500.....
2) The horses on these flights are the top 1% that tend to earn lots of money from racing (and as mentioned above, their post racing...exploits). Most horses race more regionally, and are just transported by trailer. Basically, these are the Usain Bolts of horse racing taking these flights.

ojjunior

Tue May 21, 2019 1:46 pm

This thread made me think of something: Is there an animal insurance?
In the unfortunate event of an accident are those horses insured?
Is it common to insure animals?

Polot

Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm

ojjunior wrote:

These are prized horses worth in some cases millions. They are insured like any other high value asset.

As an aside animal insurance is growing in popularity (in the US at least). I can buy pet insurance for my dogs (to cover vet bills, unexpected expenses etc) through my work if I desire.

paulsea

Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 pm

There is a absolutely insurance for animals. There are a number of companies that provide Equine Mortality insurance and other forms of insurance for horses.

Equine transport is not limited to race horses, there are competitive circuits for other forms of equestrian sports (dressage, English, Western, polo, rodeo, , etc..) and horses are transported regularly. Many horses are sourced from Europe and require transport to the US. Even Fedex will ship horses, as they fit in normal containers.

FatCat

Tue May 21, 2019 2:15 pm

ojjunior wrote:

yes it is common.
it is also mandatory in some countries for some dog's breeds, and if not mandatory, highly recommended.
by the way horses travelling from breeder / owner to championships worldwide are insured. and insurance prizes are mindblowing.
a horse of a certain ancestry ( son of champions ) is sold for millions. and it can make the owner earn tenths of millions.
but for a horse to be a champion, it should race. there isn't only speed, but also dressage, agility, and so on.
many hollywood actors are horse enthusiasts, first in mind William Shatner.
Sheiks, coming from a nomad ancestry, also are great horses enthusiasts.

live cattle also is airlifted. one accident comes to my mind https://reports.aviation-safety.net/197 ... JA8054.pdf
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

ltbewr

Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 pm

For international flights, horses being transported may have to go via certain airports due to quarantine, health checks, and specialized ground facilities.

MartijnNL

Tue May 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks everybody for the replies. Already much more (interesting) information than I was hoping for. :thumbsup:

Redwood839

Tue May 21, 2019 4:45 pm

We had a DHL flight come in with 10ish horses a couple of years ago come into our airport from Dubai. They were turned away because of a skewed stamped. Poor things ended up in Mexico who accepted them

Ant72LBA

Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pm

That's where my name comes from - looked out of the bedroom window to see an Antonov 72 taking off from LBA. Turns out it had brought horses in for a meeting at York. There is a picture of the plane in the photos on here.

Seabear

Tue May 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Or they could just call it an Emotional Support Horse and voila, Mr Ed flies for free! :lol:

B777LRF

Tue May 21, 2019 8:50 pm

Did quite a few horse charters when I flew boxes for money. A couple of our regular 757s had their rear pax and service doors reactivated, and removable slides were installed. A pallet with 18 seats was placed in the last position, and a box carrying supplemental oxygen was also loaded.

We used a set of specially designed horse boxes, which were strapped to a base of a pallets and had collapsible sides. This allowed the horses to walk onboard themselves, spun around when they reached their box, which would then be erected around them. According to the handlers, this was much less stressful to the animals and carried less risk of injuries.

I've done trips with just a single horse going to an important European Grand Prix (which it won), and I've flown up to 8 horses attending the European endurance championship, but usually we'd be flying with 4-5. Each horse would usually be assisted by two handlers, and there would also be a trainer and a vet onboard. Even flew with a horse which had it's own two bodyguards, I kid you not, but the value of that horse vastly outstripped the value of the aircraft. Or so we were told.

We flew low and we flew fast. The former because, contrary to popular belief, the vet didn't carry a bolt gun with which to knock the horse dead should it go berserk (remember: value of horse outstrips value of aircraft). Procedure was therefore to dump the cabin pressure and have everyone except the horses go on oxygen, dive for the nearest airport and land - preferably before a nauseous and agitated horse recovered too much. We're talking 900 lbs of muscles and the brain the size of walnut, not the kind of thing you'd want to all Hulk on you inside an aircraft.

It's very much a 'money's no object' game; all of our flights were on behalf of various Gulf region royal households with the Godolfin stables (owned by the ruling Makhtoum family of Dubai) being by far the largest. Rumours has it, they once bought no less than 1500 ponys at the annual show at Newmarket.

Oh, and they didn't follow behind in something as common as a mere G; they'd be arriving in private 747s or, at a stretch, a BBJ. Usually more than one.
Signature. You just read one.

Duality

Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Wife almost had a horse shipped from spain to CA. $20k as I recall, was a special 'stall box'. Vet & groom on board, no 'bolt' gun, but could administer as much sedative as needed. or more.

Horse was under $100k. I dont fly private.

While there is a lot of fun in the 'money is no object' storyline..... I bet many would be surprised to learn it isnt out of reach.

Oh, I am into modified cars. Know a fellow that shipped his BMW from Dubai to SFO, then trucked it 150 miles to a shop in the hills a few miles from me for mods. (First of its kind in the world) And back. Only 10k each way, 2005 dollars.... a royal prince.

LAX772LR

Wed May 22, 2019 2:30 am

I train showjumpers as a lifetime passion. It's not my primary occupation (I wish it was) but I do have the privilege of working under a world-class rider/trainer who's represented the USA in Olympic-level international competition, and one of the most famous horsewomen out West.

We fly our horse all the time. Have to, really.

And in case anyone's heard the rumors, it's true:
In addition to their grooms, they often have masseurs, chiropractors and sometimes even horse-psychologists, accompany them.... the owners don't spare on the expense, if it means keeping their world-quality competitors whole.

Since nearly all of our horses are Royal Dutch Warmbloods, we (obviously) receive most of them from the Netherlands, but we also bring in a lot of German, Belgian, and Swedish warmbloods, as well as French Selles Francais. Most international flights depart Germany, and you'll usually find them on M11, 777, or 747 freighters. The two most common int'l arrival gateways are MIA and SDF, though plenty of others can also handle the task. Oddly enough, I'm not familiar with anyone using MEM, but wouldn't be surprised if that was available too.

Once arrived, the horses are immediately sent to quarantine, where they stand in disinfectant (guard against transferable hoof diseases), and are then separated by gender:
  • Geldings (neutered males) are usually held in quarantine for 3 days
  • Mares (adult females) are usually held for 2weeks, where they're inspected for communicable diseases, among other things
  • Stallions (fertile adult males) are usually held for 1month, where several semen samples are collected for analysis, in addition to similar tests for mares
  • Colts and Fillies (juveniles of both genders) aren't usually shipped, and their quarantine programs vary per custom

Above all else, you want to monitor their bowels and digestive process, as it's ridiculously sensitive (horses cannot belch nor vomit, and are very prone to flatulence production or fecal impaction so severe that it twists their entrails and kills them). A sudden shift in climate + pressure (i.e. from air travel) can trigger colic that destroys their intestinal function. That's why MIA is our preferred gateway in summer for our international purchases, and SDF in winter-- temperate, moist, and far more like the horses' Euro climate; than the shock of being thrown into 70degree+dry Southern California.

Once out of quarantine, we then fly them domestically/regionally, either home to train, or to horseshows all over N.America. It's usually done on 727s, 757s, and other narrowbodies. Here's a picture of some of our showhunters returning from BWI (via LEX) in October, after having competed in the Washington International Horse show.

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Velocity7

Wed May 22, 2019 4:10 am

As an avid equestrian competitor and breeder, I imported a horse from Germany to Australia 15 years ago. It cost AUD$23K plus another ~$7K in quarantine costs on both ends.
It was a Martinair Cargo flight. If I remember correctly the routing was AMS-SHJ-HKG-SYD. It took him 36 hours to get here and upon arrival spent another 30 days in quarantine at Eastern Creek (our quarantine laws are very strict here).

I've also had involvement in the movement of horses from Australia to Germany for the World Equestrian Games in 2006 - it's an expensive sport and sadly many sport horses that depart our shores do not return due to the costs. Rather they are eventually sold in Europe.

QF108

Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 am

Horses are regularly flown between NZ and Australia using either the QF Freight 767 or the DHL 757/767. Contrary to belief you dont need to be a billionaire. Cost is about 5k to fly one across the Tasman. Flyirt.com can tell you more
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

apodino

Wed May 22, 2019 4:24 am

If anyone is interested...here is a video that's primarily a flight deck video, but it is Lufthansa Cargo bringing two Mare's back to Europe from NRT after being impregnated by Japanese stallions. Fascinating watch as they show some of the logistics involved in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ruG_9NFjI

Blimpie
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 8:04 am

It seems like the underbelly would get used for something, though. My father bred and raced horses, several of which ran tipple crown, no winners. I don't recall ever sending any by air, but then again, we're talking bout the 50's here.

Still, I would think with what a modern comparable plane of size used would go for today, there would be better, more profitable options than a 727, I may be a very greedy man, but there is never such a thing as to be making so much money that I could care less about making less money using something older and less efficient.

Jeeves, more Chardonnay. :)
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

mwhcvt

Wed May 22, 2019 9:46 am

Blimpie wrote:
It seems like the underbelly would get used for something, though. My father bred and raced horses, several of which ran tipple crown, no winners. I don't recall ever sending any by air, but then again, we're talking bout the 50's here.

Still, I would think with what a modern comparable plane of size used would go for today, there would be better, more profitable options than a 727, I may be a very greedy man, but there is never such a thing as to be making so much money that I could care less about making less money using something older and less efficient.

Jeeves, more Chardonnay. :)

Thing is that 727 is brought and paid for no doubt decades ago, and it might only operate a few days in the month, there really is little fiscal justification to replace it with something more modern until you have to, the owners might face higher fuel bills and maybe higher maintenance due to limited knowledge still available, but any savings a newer frame would bring to the operation would be wiped out by a monthly lease or finance payment will into 6 figures
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

eicvd

Wed May 22, 2019 2:21 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Did quite a few horse charters when I flew boxes for money. A couple of our regular 757s had their rear pax and service doors reactivated, and removable slides were installed. A pallet with 18 seats was placed in the last position, and a box carrying supplemental oxygen was also loaded.

We used a set of specially designed horse boxes, which were strapped to a base of a pallets and had collapsible sides. This allowed the horses to walk onboard themselves, spun around when they reached their box, which would then be erected around them. According to the handlers, this was much less stressful to the animals and carried less risk of injuries.

I've done trips with just a single horse going to an important European Grand Prix (which it won), and I've flown up to 8 horses attending the European endurance championship, but usually we'd be flying with 4-5. Each horse would usually be assisted by two handlers, and there would also be a trainer and a vet onboard. Even flew with a horse which had it's own two bodyguards, I kid you not, but the value of that horse vastly outstripped the value of the aircraft. Or so we were told.

We flew low and we flew fast. The former because, contrary to popular belief, the vet didn't carry a bolt gun with which to knock the horse dead should it go berserk (remember: value of horse outstrips value of aircraft). Procedure was therefore to dump the cabin pressure and have everyone except the horses go on oxygen, dive for the nearest airport and land - preferably before a nauseous and agitated horse recovered too much. We're talking 900 lbs of muscles and the brain the size of walnut, not the kind of thing you'd want to all Hulk on you inside an aircraft.

It's very much a 'money's no object' game; all of our flights were on behalf of various Gulf region royal households with the Godolfin stables (owned by the ruling Makhtoum family of Dubai) being by far the largest. Rumours has it, they once bought no less than 1500 ponys at the annual show at Newmarket.

Oh, and they didn't follow behind in something as common as a mere G; they'd be arriving in private 747s or, at a stretch, a BBJ. Usually more than one.

On my break one day in late summer last year I saw a few lads in Godolphin jackets driving British registered Land Rovers around Dublin airport, having a big interest in racing I thought this was interesting. The next day we had a few fancy helicopters in DUB .Knew one was a Dubai Agusta Westland & a G reg Sikorsky that I knew belonged to Godolphin (that Sikorsky often pops over for a race every few years). Sure enough the Dubai Air Wing 744 arrives later that evening followed by a BBJ the next day. Sheikh Mohammed & the brother over for the sales, first time in quite a few years they attended.
COYBIB

bohica

Wed May 22, 2019 4:45 pm

That 727 comes into FLL quite often due to Gulfstream Park being nearby. We refer to it as Air Horse One.

LAX772LR

Sun May 26, 2019 10:39 pm

Here's the ship that we used to take our showhunters to the Devon (Pennsylvania) horse show, last week.

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Newark727

Sun May 26, 2019 10:59 pm

bohica wrote:
That 727 comes into FLL quite often due to Gulfstream Park being nearby. We refer to it as Air Horse One.

I believe at one point that name was even stencilled on the cabin door!

tb727

Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 am

I flew that 727 for 5 years, many flights with the horses and I loved it. That plane was bought dirt cheap(less than 600k if I remember) and it is a great airplane. I always thought it was kinda cheap to fly the horses. Something like 4K coast to coast. Like 2500 to move them to Florida from NY or KY. It’s not always full(Max capacity of 21 horses)and it doesn’t make much money at all but it keeps the plane moving and pilots flying. It’ll be around a couple more years but I’d imagine a 737 will take over at some point.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

dxBrian

Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 am

I worked for an freight airline many years ago. Monday through Friday we moved boxes on A300B4 freighters. During racing season, we would fly horses on a B727. They actually use special procedures during equine flights on a 727. You can't have any bells go off, as that is the signal for the horses to start a race.

PixelPilot

Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 am

This is a fantastic thread.
Thanks to all for sharing the info.

I see that 727 at FLL a lot and now I know its story :)

cskok8

Mon May 27, 2019 3:45 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
These horses are some of the most valuable cargo flown. its not just moving them around for racing, there's the breeding as well. Stud fees can run to over £100k for one serving, so the flight costs aren't that significant.

What exactly is one serving?

AirKevin

Mon May 27, 2019 7:34 am

dxBrian wrote:
I worked for an freight airline many years ago. Monday through Friday we moved boxes on A300B4 freighters. During racing season, we would fly horses on a B727. They actually use special procedures during equine flights on a 727. You can't have any bells go off, as that is the signal for the horses to start a race.

So what would have happened in the event of an engine fire.
Captain Kevin

Velocity7

Mon May 27, 2019 7:53 am

cskok8 wrote:
Bongodog49 wrote:

Lol :rotfl: A stallion serves a mare, hopefully you'll get the visual!

wjcandee

Mon May 27, 2019 8:40 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Here's the ship that we used to take our showhunters to the Devon (Pennsylvania) horse show, last week.

And that's the H.E. "Tex" Sutton aircraft that people typically call Air Horse One.

Landing at Calgary, nice and smooth for the horses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Po2aT395Ng

Company's marketing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7laeiQx5V0

tb727

Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 am

AirKevin wrote:
dxBrian wrote:

The bell gets silenced. We just weren’t supposed to test the fire loops while the horses were loading up. I don’t know if it would really do anything but that’s what was said. We always got to the plane plenty early to preflight before they got there anyways.

smokeybandit

Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 am

cskok8 wrote:
Bongodog49 wrote:

An equine one night stand

Babyshark

Mon May 27, 2019 11:18 am

I remember at IAH seeing horse meat loaded up on Air France 20 years ago. I guess they shipped a lot to France and I admit I never heard of it and was shocked.

Quite a contrast. Some are loved and worth millions and some are eaten.

mjoelnir

Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am

Horses have been transported by airplane for years.

My father exported Icelandic Horses from Iceland mainly to Europe from 1958 to 1972. In the early 1960s he switched from transporting by ship to airplane.
For smaller loads he used Icelandic planes, mainly DC6. For larger loads, up to 80 horses he used Flying Tigers cargo airline with the CL44 or later DC8.

mjoelnir

AirKevin

Mon May 27, 2019 12:40 pm

tb727 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
dxBrian wrote:

The bell gets silenced. We just weren’t supposed to test the fire loops while the horses were loading up. I don’t know if it would really do anything but that’s what was said. We always got to the plane plenty early to preflight before they got there anyways.

Copy. The wording was a little confusing and I was wondering if they pulled a circuit breaker to silence the bell, which sounds like it would have been problematic in the event there actually was an engine fire.
Captain Kevin

tb727

Tue May 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Velocity7 wrote:
cskok8 wrote:
Bongodog49 wrote:

Lol :rotfl: A stallion serves a mare, hopefully you'll get the visual!

That’s why the stallions were placed in the front of the aircraft and not behind any mares. In case they started to get frisky.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos