DenverTed

Re: United Tries to Seat 2-,4-,6-Year Old Children Separate from Parents

Mon May 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Since the general unaccompanied minor policy is that five year olds and older can travel alone, I think the FAA should mandate that anyone 4 and under must be seated next to their 16 and over travel companion, however the airlines accomplish that is their business. Beyond that, in what cases would the airlines be responsible that two people who booked seats together were guaranteed that?

Antarius

Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 pm

DenverTed wrote:
Since the general unaccompanied minor policy is that five year olds and older can travel alone, I think the FAA should mandate that anyone 4 and under must be seated next to their 16 and over travel companion, however the airlines accomplish that is their business. Beyond that, in what cases would the airlines be responsible that two people who booked seats together were guaranteed that?

Still, let's be realistic, a 6 year old is incapable of evacuating an aircraft without an adult present and assisting.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI DEN

TheFlyingDisk

Mon May 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Antarius wrote:
They dont keep the fee. You get a refund.

Do they? Because I distinctly recall reading in the conditions of carriage of several airlines that seat selection fees are non-refundable.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

ikramerica

Mon May 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Antarius wrote:
DenverTed wrote:

Still, let's be realistic, a 6 year old is incapable of evacuating an aircraft without an adult present and assisting.

Not mine. He has learning disabilities and is deaf in one ear. He might get out okay but then run into danger outside. Even your standard 6 year old walks into traffic without looking sometimes. They just aren’t self aware enough yet to fend for themselves.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

aaexecplat

Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 am

I can't speak to what happened in this news worthy event, but I CAN tell you that the same thing happened to me and my family in 2014. We were booked on IAH-LHR on UA. I was a UA 1k (still am) and we had 4 seats together in E+ for months before the flight.

Except within 24 hours before the flight, UA changed the scheduled 763 to one that was configured in the old pmUA config and split all 4 of us up all over the aircraft. With me were my wife, then 5 year old and then 8 year old.

After every GA, TA and phone agent refused to help, I eventually negotiated with other pax so that we could at least have 2 of us in one part of the plane and the other 2 in a different part of the plane.

No apologies from UA, no goodwill gesture, nothing. All they did is to call up 2 pax via PA so I could talk to them before getting on board.

This stuff does really happen and to some of us that spend a significant amount of money on UA to boot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Judge1310

Wed May 29, 2019 7:30 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Antarius wrote:
They dont keep the fee. You get a refund.

Do they? Because I distinctly recall reading in the conditions of carriage of several airlines that seat selection fees are non-refundable.

Depends on the air carrier--I've personally oversaw refunding of previously paid pre-selected seats even though the pax were themselves late for showing up for their originally scheduled flight...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos