gatibosgru

Re: DL launches TPA-AMS today, its 21st service to AMS

Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 am

dfw88 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Making DL at AMS larger than AA at LHR.

This isn't quite true. Here are the totals from May through August of this year:

AA to LHR: Flights = 5,166, Seats = 1,474,484
DL to AMS: Flights = 5,080, Seats = 1,390,860

So they're essentially the same size, though AA to LHR is a bit bigger.

Can I use your crystal ball? :duck:
@DadCelo

Antarius

Sat May 25, 2019 5:20 am

Aisak wrote:
So the rich BA-AA mix there is between LHR and AA hubs is just the symptom of lack of integration, rather than anything else. AA has its slots and routes and routes while BA has its own.
At least LHR-RDU behaves like DL/KL at AMS. BA/AA haven't decided to switch the sole AA longhaul route over to BA.

Source?

AA and BA swap metal as needed, the example popping into mind is BA taking over TATL frequencies during the retrofit of AA into their new business class.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN DEN DOH BLR MAA KTM YYZ MEX

Ishrion

Sat May 25, 2019 5:23 am

Antarius wrote:
Aisak wrote:
So the rich BA-AA mix there is between LHR and AA hubs is just the symptom of lack of integration, rather than anything else. AA has its slots and routes and routes while BA has its own.
At least LHR-RDU behaves like DL/KL at AMS. BA/AA haven't decided to switch the sole AA longhaul route over to BA.

Source?

AA and BA swap metal as needed, the example popping into mind is BA taking over TATL frequencies during the retrofit of AA into their new business class.

They do swap when needed. Some examples are MIA, when I believe BA increased service and AA decreased, and AA launching 1x daily PHX-LHR which led to BA downgrading frequencies/aircraft.

There's a rumor that AA would start IAD-LHR to gain catchment from AA fliers at DCA and BA would drop a frequency.

LAX772LR

Sat May 25, 2019 9:11 am

TWA772LR wrote:
763s, A330s, and a lone 777. Todays DL lineup vs NWs lineup at AMS is boring.

Er, in what way?

At no point did NW have more than three different models of aircraft at AMS, and for most of its tenure, only two.

DL currently has 4... how then is that "boring" compared to NW?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SuseJ772

Sat May 25, 2019 1:42 pm

What was the load factor on the TPA-AMS initial flight? What is looking like for the first few months?
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

NYCVIE

Sat May 25, 2019 4:17 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Wow. With that many crew members overnight, what are the arrangements they have at AMS for them. That's gotta be 200+ crew members we're talking.

I'm also pretty interested in knowing this. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

FLYKTPA

Sat May 25, 2019 5:37 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
What was the load factor on the TPA-AMS initial flight? What is looking like for the first few months?

97%
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

MIflyer12

Sat May 25, 2019 6:00 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
Wow. With that many crew members overnight, what are the arrangements they have at AMS for them. That's gotta be 200+ crew members we're talking.

I think the general convention is not to identify crew hotels on public BBs, to avoid groupies and stalkers. Determined people can work for it, surely.

airbuster

Sat May 25, 2019 6:29 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

I think the general convention is not to identify crew hotels on public BBs, to avoid groupies and stalkers. Determined people can work for it, surely.

I will tell you they own a hotel in AMS region if I’m not mistaken operated by a chain of hotels.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

compensateme

Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm

We don’t care what your next flight is.

NWADTWE16

Sat May 25, 2019 6:44 pm

In Sabre, the flight is showing wide-open the next week both directions, which was my sample size. I picked one random date 6.17 as well, and see the same thing. Not sure where the 97% came from, but I also don't know what the over-book percentage is for this flight. MCO-AMS would be a high % as MCO anywhere is higher than almost anywhere besides LAS, not sure what TPA is though.

I do think the 767-300 (for those in the know) is a deterrent on both of these flights. That's a long flight for that pardon my French, crappy plane.

My two Europe trips this year will be utilizing the amazing services of VS 744 MCO-LGW from there I can get anywhere on U2. Returns I am using AirFrance new A380 service CDG-ATL, and on one return KLM 777-300LR AMS-MIA.

That's just me, but I am avoiding the clearly easier nonstop due to subpar equipment, might be a non-rev dream though.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

NYCVIE

Sat May 25, 2019 6:58 pm

airbuster wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

I will tell you they own a hotel in AMS region if I’m not mistaken operated by a chain of hotels.

Wow, must be a party for the crew members on layovers.

NWADTWE16 wrote:
In Sabre, the flight is showing wide-open the next week both directions, which was my sample size. I picked one random date 6.17 as well, and see the same thing. Not sure where the 97% came from, but I also don't know what the over-book percentage is for this flight. MCO-AMS would be a high % as MCO anywhere is higher than almost anywhere besides LAS, not sure what TPA is though.

I do think the 767-300 (for those in the know) is a deterrent on both of these flights. That's a long flight for that pardon my French, crappy plane.

My two Europe trips this year will be utilizing the amazing services of VS 744 MCO-LGW from there I can get anywhere on U2. Returns I am using AirFrance new A380 service CDG-ATL, and on one return KLM 777-300LR AMS-MIA.

That's just me, but I am avoiding the clearly easier nonstop due to subpar equipment, might be a non-rev dream though.

Except the 763 (on DL) isn't a crappy plane? I'm sure you're probably in the minority of people who would literally fly to LGW and self connect on U2 vs just taking DL and connecting in AMS.

deltalaw

Sat May 25, 2019 7:56 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:

Having just been on both a VS 747 and a DL 767...you are in for a rude surprise if you think the 767 is the “crappy” of those two. The 747 interiors are really dated, but the Virgin Holidays crowd don’t seem to mind.

deltalaw

Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:

Also, there is no such thing as a 777-300LR

FLYKTPA

Sat May 25, 2019 11:04 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:

97% is for the inaugural departure. I certainly believe the next week is wide open. It’s gonna really pick up in June when everyone gets out of school. IND-CDG had crappy loads it’s first month.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

sonicruiser

Sat May 25, 2019 11:19 pm

WWads

Sat May 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Part of CVG-CDG's success (it's a highly profitable route) is the GE engine parts that get shipped to Toulouse.

You don't have that on a CVG-AMS flight. Right now I'd wager that CVG-CDG would survive even a total dehubbing at CVG. It's not reliant on any sort of feed on the CVG end.

gatibosgru

Sat May 25, 2019 11:51 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:
My two Europe trips this year will be utilizing the amazing services of VS 744 MCO-LGW from there I can get anywhere on U2

When was the last time you rode a DL 763? You're either trolling or ignorant on their interior. I flew to GRU on it which was almost 10 hours and it was way better than my BA 744 on the old interior (and frankly nicer than the 777s too) for 6 hrs. And it's beyond me how anyone would not like a 2x3x2 config unless you're a family of 4 that absolutely does not want to separate.
@DadCelo

SuseJ772

Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 am

sonicruiser wrote:

That was fun. Wished I could have been on the flight.

SuseJ772

Sun May 26, 2019 12:03 am

gatibosgru wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:
My two Europe trips this year will be utilizing the amazing services of VS 744 MCO-LGW from there I can get anywhere on U2

When was the last time you rode a DL 763? You're either trolling or ignorant on their interior. I flew to GRU on it which was almost 10 hours and it was way better than my BA 744 on the old interior (and frankly nicer than the 777s too) for 6 hrs. And it's beyond me how anyone would not like a 2x3x2 config unless you're a family of 4 that absolutely does not want to separate.
You are right about that. 2x3/4x2 is why I love flying the 763 and A330. Plus I believe this 763 has DeltaOne with lie flat seats.

Midwestindy

Sun May 26, 2019 12:11 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:

97% is for the inaugural departure. I certainly believe the next week is wide open. It’s gonna really pick up in June when everyone gets out of school. IND-CDG had crappy loads it’s first month.

1. IND-CDG and TPA-AMS are not very comparable, better choice would have been MCO-AMS and TPA-AMS:
2. IND-CDG operated for a week in May, then the next month LFs were at 92%, May LFs on IND-CDG are also impacted by a lack of outbound travel for Indy 500 weekend(memorial day)

WWads wrote:
Right now I'd wager that CVG-CDG would survive even a total dehubbing at CVG. It's not reliant on any sort of feed on the CVG end.

Is this supposed to be surprising? That is what DL does nowadays, DL has plenty of TATL routes that aren't reliant on feed from the US end: RDU-CDG, PDX-AMS, MCO-AMS, IND-CDG, and any other non-hub TATL flight
Last edited by Midwestindy on Sun May 26, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

jmscsc

Sun May 26, 2019 12:13 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:

I'd agree with the other comments. I flew the DL 767-300 last month from ATL-SCL and it was in no way a "crappy plane." When was the last time you were on one?

NWADTWE16

Sun May 26, 2019 12:20 am

I have logged 6 767 300 flights in the past 2 years, they were not updated, though they were domestic legs, the planes were positioning to international flights, so.... there you have it. Of course having the option of being on a 2 row versus a 3 row is great, that's why the upper deck of the A380 (if your going cheap) DUO section is a steal, but I find the seats on DL 763 to feel hard as heck and not be wide enough for any comfort beyond maybe 2 hours.

Premium Econ on both VS (which can be upper deck bubble, and is beautiful so not sure what the gripe is) and AF is not that expensive over coach and is comparable to a first class experience. I have logged 2 VS 744 flights in the same period, for those keeping track.

I know many of you are seriously negative people, I've experienced more than my fare share from you all, so this comes as no surprise, but again, as with all my posts, IT IS MY OPINION, and I am not alone.

and to Deltalaw (ROFL) 777-300Er, so horribly off yes? you must be a pleasant one
"Also, there is no such thing as a 777-300LR"

https://seatguru.com/airlines/KLM/KLM_B ... 00ER_A.php
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

WWads

Sun May 26, 2019 2:27 am

Midwestindy wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:

1. IND-CDG and TPA-AMS are not very comparable, better choice would have been MCO-AMS and TPA-AMS:
2. IND-CDG operated for a week in May, then the next month LFs were at 92%, May LFs on IND-CDG are also impacted by a lack of outbound travel for Indy 500 weekend(memorial day)

WWads wrote:
Right now I'd wager that CVG-CDG would survive even a total dehubbing at CVG. It's not reliant on any sort of feed on the CVG end.

Is this supposed to be surprising? That is what DL does nowadays, DL has plenty of TATL routes that aren't reliant on feed from the US end: RDU-CDG, PDX-AMS, MCO-AMS, IND-CDG, and any other non-hub TATL flight

No it's not, but your unnecessary snark also isn't surprising.

klm617

Sun May 26, 2019 2:43 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
I have logged 6 767 300 flights in the past 2 years, they were not updated, though they were domestic legs, the planes were positioning to international flights, so.... there you have it. Of course having the option of being on a 2 row versus a 3 row is great, that's why the upper deck of the A380 (if your going cheap) DUO section is a steal, but I find the seats on DL 763 to feel hard as heck and not be wide enough for any comfort beyond maybe 2 hours.

Premium Econ on both VS (which can be upper deck bubble, and is beautiful so not sure what the gripe is) and AF is not that expensive over coach and is comparable to a first class experience. I have logged 2 VS 744 flights in the same period, for those keeping track.

I know many of you are seriously negative people, I've experienced more than my fare share from you all, so this comes as no surprise, but again, as with all my posts, IT IS MY OPINION, and I am not alone.

and to Deltalaw (ROFL) 777-300Er, so horribly off yes? you must be a pleasant one
"Also, there is no such thing as a 777-300LR"

https://seatguru.com/airlines/KLM/KLM_B ... 00ER_A.php

In the last year and a half I as well have done 6 legs on the 767-300 internationally and really have no issue with the aircraft (And I am a guy with a lot of issues LOL). It's much better than a domestic 757 or 739. It's been a while but the 764 was way worse than the 763 as far as legroom.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

dfw88

Sun May 26, 2019 2:50 am

gatibosgru wrote:
dfw88 wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Making DL at AMS larger than AA at LHR.

This isn't quite true. Here are the totals from May through August of this year:

AA to LHR: Flights = 5,166, Seats = 1,474,484
DL to AMS: Flights = 5,080, Seats = 1,390,860

So they're essentially the same size, though AA to LHR is a bit bigger.

Can I use your crystal ball? :duck:

Sorry. I guess I should have specified that this was seats in the market and flights in the schedule, not flights flown or seats sold. So yes, this is for May through August of this year.

Max Q

Sun May 26, 2019 3:51 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

Absolutely, this is a really bad idea, there may well be individuals trolling for this
information
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

BoeingGuy

Sun May 26, 2019 5:28 am

Max Q wrote:
Does Delta have many non hub originating international routes these days?

PDX-LHR comes to mind.

I assume you are including AMS and CDG as hubs so that means a number of others like IND-CDG are hub originating.

Midwestindy

Sun May 26, 2019 11:07 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Does Delta have many non hub originating international routes these days?

PDX-LHR comes to mind.

I assume you are including AMS and CDG as hubs so that means a number of others like IND-CDG are hub originating.

Also the HNL-Asia routes, plus the routes that go to CUN

FCOTSTW

Sun May 26, 2019 5:37 pm

redzeppelin wrote:
TC957 wrote:
A hypothetical return flight (based on DL135 +12h) would leave AMS at 2220, and arrive to DTW at about 0100. That might be attractive to a DTW resident trying to squeeze every minute of daylight from their European vacation.

I do not really think so...

mcg

Sun May 26, 2019 6:11 pm

I find it amazing that three daily flights from DTW works. Seems like a lot of capacity to me, but both DTW and AMS are connection machines (in my opinion).

edealinfo

Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm

factsonly wrote:
DELTA launches TPA-AMS today, the 21st daily DL widebody arrival into AMS:

AMS - DL Arrivals Summer 2019 - plus scheduled aircraft for 23/24 May 2019:

- 05.50 DL 256 Boston/General Edward Lawrence Logan (BOS / KBOS) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N821NW
- 05.55 DL 132 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A350-900 Delta Air Lines N511DN
- 05.55 DL 46 New York/John F Kennedy (JFK / KJFK) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N180DN
- 05.55 DL 70 Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta (ATL / KATL) BOEING 777-200 Delta Air Lines N864DA
- 07.50 DL 258 Boston/General Edward Lawrence Logan (BOS / KBOS) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N1604R
- 08.00 DL 134 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N824NW
- 08.05 DL 72 Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta (ATL / KATL) Boeing 777-200 Long Range Delta Air Lines N708DN
- 08.15 DL 160 Minneapolis-St Paul -Wold-Chamberlain (MSP / KMSP) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N806NW
- 08.15 DL 178 Portland (PDX / KPDX) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N818NW
- 08.35 DL 142 Seattle Tacoma (SEA / KSEA) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N803NW
- 08.35 DL 56 Salt Lake City (SLC / KSLC) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N1602
- 09.15 DL 48 New York/John F Kennedy (JFK / KJFK) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N828NW
- 10.25 DL 136 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N811NW
- 10.45 DL 74 Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta (ATL / KATL) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N808NW
- 10.50 DL 162 Minneapolis-St Paul -Wold-Chamberlain (MSP / KMSP) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N816NW
- 10.50 DL 76 Tampa (TPA / KTPA) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N178DZ = NEW ROUTE
- 12.35 DL 138 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N815NW
- 12.45 DL 410 Orlando (MCO / KMCO) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N191DN
- 13.00 DL 144 Seattle Tacoma (SEA / KSEA) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N172DZ
- 13.00 DL 164 Minneapolis-St Paul -Wold-Chamberlain (MSP / KMSP) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N830NW
- 14.55 DL 78 Los Angeles (LAX / KLAX) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N830NW

Missing from this list are Austin, San Francisco, Denver, Dallas, Miami and Houston [why is Delta avoiding these places???)

klm617

Sun May 26, 2019 6:29 pm

mcg wrote:
I find it amazing that three daily flights from DTW works. Seems like a lot of capacity to me, but both DTW and AMS are connection machines (in my opinion).

Actually there is 4
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

N809FR

Sun May 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Would love to see a DEN-AMS flight at some point, whether it’s on DL or KL. Quite an impressive operation to AMS on DL’s part.

I flew CDG-CVG 10 years ago on DL and loved how quick I made it through customs with it being the only international arrival.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun May 26, 2019 6:46 pm

[quote=

Missing from this list are Austin, San Francisco, Denver, Dallas, Miami and Houston [why is Delta avoiding these places???)[/quote]

AUS is the only one I could see happening.

Delta likes making money. Those cities sans Austin are hubs of other airlines and already offer tons of low fares via one-stops. SF/Denver/Houston are star alliance cities, Dallas and Miami are one world dominated. Delta likes making money on less competitive markets with lower hanging fruit.

AMS18C36C

Sun May 26, 2019 6:58 pm

edealinfo wrote:
factsonly wrote:

AMS - DL Arrivals Summer 2019 - plus scheduled aircraft for 23/24 May 2019:

- 05.50 DL 256 Boston/General Edward Lawrence Logan (BOS / KBOS) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N821NW
- 05.55 DL 132 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A350-900 Delta Air Lines N511DN
- 05.55 DL 46 New York/John F Kennedy (JFK / KJFK) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N180DN
- 05.55 DL 70 Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta (ATL / KATL) BOEING 777-200 Delta Air Lines N864DA
- 07.50 DL 258 Boston/General Edward Lawrence Logan (BOS / KBOS) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N1604R
- 08.00 DL 134 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N824NW
- 08.05 DL 72 Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta (ATL / KATL) Boeing 777-200 Long Range Delta Air Lines N708DN
- 08.15 DL 160 Minneapolis-St Paul -Wold-Chamberlain (MSP / KMSP) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N806NW
- 08.15 DL 178 Portland (PDX / KPDX) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N818NW
- 08.35 DL 142 Seattle Tacoma (SEA / KSEA) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N803NW
- 08.35 DL 56 Salt Lake City (SLC / KSLC) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N1602
- 09.15 DL 48 New York/John F Kennedy (JFK / KJFK) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N828NW
- 10.25 DL 136 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N811NW
- 10.45 DL 74 Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta (ATL / KATL) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N808NW
- 10.50 DL 162 Minneapolis-St Paul -Wold-Chamberlain (MSP / KMSP) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N816NW
- 10.50 DL 76 Tampa (TPA / KTPA) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N178DZ = NEW ROUTE
- 12.35 DL 138 Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW / KDTW) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N815NW
- 12.45 DL 410 Orlando (MCO / KMCO) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N191DN
- 13.00 DL 144 Seattle Tacoma (SEA / KSEA) Boeing 767-300 winglet Delta Air Lines N172DZ
- 13.00 DL 164 Minneapolis-St Paul -Wold-Chamberlain (MSP / KMSP) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N830NW
- 14.55 DL 78 Los Angeles (LAX / KLAX) AIRBUS A330-300 Delta Air Lines N830NW

Missing from this list are Austin, San Francisco, Denver, Dallas, Miami and Houston [why is Delta avoiding these places???)

Reason why DL is ‘ignoring’ SFO, IAH and MIA is that they are already being served by KL. DFW was served by KL from 2008 until 2015 if I read correctly, but was dropped.

jmscsc

Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm

mcg wrote:

I fly that route a few times a year ... doing it again in a few weeks ... and the planes are always packed.

Lootess

Sun May 26, 2019 8:20 pm

twicearound wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:
This is a shame for KL pax base that don't have options -or have very few - to fly on KL metal to DL hubs.

There must be people who prefer KL hard and soft product over DL's.

LH and BA do split hub-to-hub flights with UA and AA so customers can choose whatever fits better for them.

Not sure what you mean, KLM flies on their own metal to BOS, ATL, MSP, NYC, SLC, LAX. All DL hubs.

They just think DL/KLM fly 1x/day to all spokes, which isn't always the case. DL-KLM swap off or compliment a daily schedule just like DL-AF does.

twicearound

Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 pm

compensateme wrote:

Nice joke....that place is a hostel. I walk by it all the time, and let's just say the clientele is a bit rough.

Flyingstump

Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm

Doing a spot check on the TPA - AMS flight, 1 week after its launch.

For DL 76, TPA - AMS, Thursday 05/30/19:
15/26 Delta One
29/29 Delta Comfort
169/171 Economy

Pretty good leaving Tampa.

For DL 77, AMS - TPA, Thursday 06/06/19:
17/26 Delta One
15/29 Delta Comfort
64/171

Somewhat of a surprise that TPA - AMS is stronger than AMS - TPA during the start of summer. Spot checking various days, this continues throughout the season.

Before Zurich started, Edelweiss advertised Tampa Bay as a vacation destination from Zurich and stimulated local demand. British Airways has done the same thing in the past. It doesn't seem like this has been done (at least not successfully) for Amsterdam.

compensateme

Thu May 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Flyingstump wrote:

15/26 Delta One
29/29 Delta Comfort
169/171 Economy

17/26 Delta One
15/29 Delta Comfort
64/171

Somewhat of a surprise that TPA - AMS is stronger than AMS - TPA during the start of summer. Spot checking various days, this continues throughout the season.

Before Zurich started, Edelweiss advertised Tampa Bay as a vacation destination from Zurich and stimulated local demand. British Airways has done the same thing in the past. It doesn't seem like this has been done (at least not successfully) for Amsterdam.

Your numbers are off - using seat maps to determine available seats isn't very effective these days.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Flyingstump

Thu May 30, 2019 8:12 pm

compensateme wrote:
Flyingstump wrote:

15/26 Delta One
29/29 Delta Comfort
169/171 Economy

17/26 Delta One
15/29 Delta Comfort
64/171

Your numbers are off - using seat maps to determine available seats isn't very effective these days.

Do you have the accurate numbers? It'd be great if you could provide them.

Midwestindy

Thu May 30, 2019 8:46 pm

compensateme wrote:
Flyingstump wrote:

15/26 Delta One
29/29 Delta Comfort
169/171 Economy

17/26 Delta One
15/29 Delta Comfort
64/171

Seat maps can be better within 1-2 hours of a flight

B752OS

Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 pm

edealinfo wrote:
factsonly wrote:

Houston is served year to Amsterdam by both KLM and United. San Francisco is served year round to Amsterdam by KLM and seasonally by United. Delta already serves both of those cities, just without their own metal. I am surprised that Miami lacks year round service to Amsterdam as KLM only runs it seasonally.

Just how big is the Denver - Europe market? Does it need another mainline carrier entering the market?
Is the Austin market ready for a 4th European flight?

Jetty

Fri May 31, 2019 2:52 am

Flyingstump wrote:

From what I noticed KLM was already busy advertising Las Vegas as a new destination to Dutch people and spend no time on promoting Tampa.

axiom

Fri May 31, 2019 3:21 am

I’ve been in AMS quite a bit this week (city and airport), and have seen plenty of KL advertisement but no mention of the TPA flight. LAS, yes.

pezzy669

Fri May 31, 2019 3:29 am

Glad to see DL hanging onto their Florida crown.

I don't think this route is all O&D. When I lived in St. Petersburg if you wanted to bypass a US hub you were flying BA to London, then shortly after I moved away you could fly BA to London or LH to Frankfurt which is what a lot of friends of mine have done despite London or Frankfurt not being their final destination. Now there is one more gateway beyond LHR and FRA that the Tampa Bay area can utilize.

When you think of it now Tampa Bay residents have an evening departure so you can utilize a full day at work vs taking a half day/full vacation day to connect at another east coast hub. If they take the non-stop back in they can (guessing) deal with less surly immigration and customs agents than the straight angry agents at the large hubs (IAD, ORD, MIA). Also personally for me I would hop on a long flight from the get go on the way out to connect to a short flight, then do the opposite on the return so this is perfect for that type of traveler.

I doubt this is much O&D - its just capturing a market that has gotten to the point they are sick of making an ATL/MIA/CLT connection. I am pretty certain the traffic has been there, it has just been flowing over all the East Coast hubs and BA and LH have not been able to accommodate.

Jetty

Fri May 31, 2019 3:56 am

pezzy669 wrote:
I doubt this is much O&D - its just capturing a market that has gotten to the point they are sick of making an ATL/MIA/CLT connection. I am pretty certain the traffic has been there, it has just been flowing over all the East Coast hubs and BA and LH have not been able to accommodate.

There’s no doubt there isn’t much O&D, but besides offering a different connection point AMS also offers 1 stop instead of 2 stops to dozens of destinations in Europe. That how many US flights can work to AMS.

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:34 pm

DL's AMS route is now loaded and returns April 1, 2020 and comes back as daily.

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
DL's AMS route is now loaded and returns April 1, 2020 and comes back as daily.

Don't read into that at all, every TATL flight is listed as daily in April, DL likes to list all of those routes as daily until 4-5 months before they are about to start.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos