ThirtyWest
Topic Author

Short stage length of LH A320NEO flights

Fri May 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Salut! I was perusing FR24 data as well as previous a.net threads and have certainly recorded that LH's A320NEO aircraft are so far utilized almost exclusively on some of the shortest segments of the company's A320 fleet.

Once more A320NEOs join and the engine issues get resolved, should we expect to see the NEOs operate farther afield than 1h, +/-, from FRA? Seems like the fuel savings could really start to add up with some longer stage lengths.

I realize the A320NEOs also reportedly lack ovens for hot meals, but surely LH would plan on them ultimately replacing A320CEOs on some of the 2-4h A320 trips from FRA/MUC at some point,* no?

*I accept that there aren't many such routes for LH, but examples include KEF, AMM, TLV, DME, LED, TBS, ALG, etc.

TS-IOR

Re: Short stage length of LH A320NEO flights

Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Lufthansa NEOs have already operated to TUN, ALG and CMN. These are 2-3 hour flights. IMO they are being scheduled with the CEOs and not separately that's why you may find them on shorter runs over a longer period. No destination has a dedicated NEO so far.

Salina Chan

Sun May 26, 2019 5:14 pm

from what i have been told, the NEOs at Lufthansa are limited by a court order on behalf of the cabin crew union UFO. Something about "unbearable working conditions" in the small aft galley on flights exceeding 2.5 hrs or so....

CRJ900

Sun May 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Salina Chan wrote:
from what i have been told, the NEOs at Lufthansa are limited by a court order on behalf of the cabin crew union UFO. Something about "unbearable working conditions" in the small aft galley on flights exceeding 2.5 hrs or so....

Is that why the A321NEO going to LH has the full aft galley and lavs in the usual place... so they can be used on longer flights?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

ThirtyWest
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 3:58 am

Salina Chan wrote:

Yikes. If that's true, or if otherwise the galley config limits LH's ability to deploy A320NEOs on medium-haul routes greater than 2.5h, that would seem to reduce the commercial appeal of the 320NEO for LH, insofar as the longer stage lengths would produce more dramatic fuel savings vis-a-vis the 320CEO than would FRA-HAM, etc.

devron

Mon May 27, 2019 5:08 am

Salina Chan wrote:

Wauw. Adding a few seats backfired significanty if this is true.

Nicoeddf

Mon May 27, 2019 10:49 am

devron wrote:
Salina Chan wrote:

Hardly. Not many LH flights exceeding 2.5h on the 320 fleet.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

stylo777

Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
devron wrote:
Salina Chan wrote:

actually, there are quite a few: FRA has 30 and MUC 23 routes on the 320 fleet with stagelength longer than 2.5 hrs.

here are the routes:

from FRA:
AGA
AGP
ALC
ALG
AMM
ATH
AYT
BEY
BJV
CAI
CMN
DME
EBL
FAO
FNC
GYD
HER
IST
JTR
KEF
LCA
LED
LIS
MAD
MLA
OPO
RAK
SVQ
TLV
TOS

from MUC:
ADB
AGP
ALC
AYT
BJV
CAI
DME
FAO
FNC
HEL
HER
JTR
KEF
LCA
LED
LIS
MAD
OPO
RAK
SVQ
TBS
TFS
TLV

DUSZRH

Mon May 27, 2019 11:35 am

There are quite a few routes, but not so many frequencies. Top of the head maybe 10% of the 32F network. And quite a few of the higher frequent ones are usually operated by 321s.

stylo777

Mon May 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Yes, especially the ones to BEY AMM TLV CAI are usually 321 with higher MTOW, but when you talk about 320-fleet in overall, those are the longest flights (of course, frequency and seasonality aside...)

A388

Mon May 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Reading all the above posts, the explanations still vary. Are the LH NEO's indeed used a lot on flights longer than 2.5 hrs and are there indeed issues with the crew union? Did LH not anticipate or could have seen these issues coming before receiving their NEO's? Will their NEO's eventually be used more on longer flights?

A388

TS-IOR

Mon May 27, 2019 3:09 pm

What about the latter received A20N galleys compared to the early ones, did they change the order for larger galleys or kept the same problematic configuration? If a union issue rised after this equipment then i do not think Lufthansa would keep accepting more airplanes with same "deficiency" or maybe there's a plan to exchange machines with eurowings.

Nicoeddf

Mon May 27, 2019 8:59 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
devron wrote:

actually, there are quite a few: FRA has 30 and MUC 23 routes on the 320 fleet with stagelength longer than 2.5 hrs.

here are the routes:

from FRA:
AGA
AGP
ALC
ALG
AMM
ATH
AYT
BEY
BJV
CAI
CMN
DME
EBL
FAO
FNC
GYD
HER
IST
JTR
KEF
LCA
LED
LIS
MAD
MLA
OPO
RAK
SVQ
TLV
TOS

from MUC:
ADB
AGP
ALC
AYT
BJV
CAI
DME
FAO
FNC
HEL
HER
JTR
KEF
LCA
LED
LIS
MAD
OPO
RAK
SVQ
TBS
TFS
TLV

Yeah, that's why I wrote flight, not routes.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos