Erau82
Topic Author

Citation Crash off of Florida Coast

Sat May 25, 2019 12:45 am

Just reported by Miami Channel 10 - A Citation flew past its destination of FXE by 30 miles and crashes into the Atlantic Ocean.

Cessna business jet crashes in ocean east of Fort Lauderdale
https://www.local10.com/news/local/fort ... lauderdale

Erau82
Topic Author

Re: Citation Crash off of Florida Coast

Sat May 25, 2019 12:46 am

Dropped a zero - over flew by 300 miles.

Dominion301

Sat May 25, 2019 1:09 am

Second Citation crash in the US this week: https://www.local10.com/news/national/2 ... dianapolis

Only the pilot onboard meaning almost certainly they were dead before the plane ever crashed. Either it was a decompression/hypoxia or he/she died of natural causes.

Flyawa

Sat May 25, 2019 1:19 am

Flightaware track log shows that N832R departed KALN at 1:36PM CDT, and remained at FL390 when turning east to KFLL at 4:47PM EDT, then continuing for about an hour until 5:46 EDT when air speed dropped from 413 to 295 on the last entry.

Not a pilot, but would autopilot on a C560 make a near 90 degree turn at altitude without descending?

Sounds like pilot hypoxia by loss of cabin pressure or some medical incapacitation.
Better than most, not as good as some.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat May 25, 2019 1:26 am

Well, it certainly could make a 90 degree turn, if the flt plan or pilot called for it.

GF

reltney

Sat May 25, 2019 1:57 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Well, it certainly could make a 90 degree turn, if the flt plan or pilot called for it.

No.... a flight plan is just that......a plan.... it is telling the controlling agency what your “plan” is. The plane is flown by pilots who can program a plane or fly it them self’s . The plane cannot turn based what you wrote on a piece of paper. You have to command the autopilot or couple it to the flight management system or hand fly it to cause it to turn. I am not making fun of you as it is clear you are not a pilot. I am just pointing out a flight plan is just a plan. What you program into the plane or hand fly controls the plane.

FYI , We don’t need flight plans in the US to fly VFR, so many planes fly without a “flight plan”. Heck, in 44 years of flying I think I filed 3 total VFR flight plans..

GF
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

tb727

Sat May 25, 2019 1:59 am

Looks like it had departed earlier in the day from ALN and made it to about 16,000’ before turning back. Sad, I would suspect pressurization problems.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

GalaxyFlyer

Sat May 25, 2019 2:06 am

I didn’t write anything after the first sentence. By “flight plan...called for it”, I clearly meant the entered FMS flight plan which, if coupled to the autopilot, could direct a 90 degree change in course without lose of KIAS. Heck, if the entered flt plan has a course reversal, it’ll fly it if the pilot ignores the scratchpad message. 13,500 hours over 40 years of flying, military, airline and corporate. I’m guessing pilot incapacity.

Why would anyone think a written flight plan controls the plane?

GF

wjcandee

Sat May 25, 2019 2:47 am

tb727 wrote:
Looks like it had departed earlier in the day from ALN and made it to about 16,000’ before turning back. Sad, I would suspect pressurization problems.

Agreed. Given the turnback earlier. Sucks big time.

slcguy

Sat May 25, 2019 9:18 am

I'm guessing pilot incapacitation from pressurization problem from what's been reported, It was at FL 390, which is high enough to not give much time to react to a problem that isn't obvious (like rapid depressurization). Second possibility is medical problem with pilot, heart attack etc. Third possibility is intentional act of the pilot (suicide etc.) but this doesn't seem likely but possible. All of these have happened before.

FlyinRabbit88

Sat May 25, 2019 2:23 pm

Being that the A/C was filed on the Jingl6 arrival and there is a discontinuity at the end, if a pilot doesn’t input anything it will just continue on that last course heading which is eastbound.

Dominion301

Sat May 25, 2019 4:28 pm

slcguy wrote:
I'm guessing pilot incapacitation from pressurization problem from what's been reported, It was at FL 390, which is high enough to not give much time to react to a problem that isn't obvious (like rapid depressurization). Second possibility is medical problem with pilot, heart attack etc. Third possibility is intentional act of the pilot (suicide etc.) but this doesn't seem likely but possible. All of these have happened before.

Yeah I remember during F/A training watching the difference in time between to hypoxia at FL310 and FL410. At FL390 during a rapid decompression, you have just seconds to react, especially if you’re alone. Whereas a pressure leak might go undetected kinda like the frog in the pot that is gradually brought to a boil.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos