MSPSXMFLIER
Topic Author

Contentious union organizing and related matters were a part of Northwest; now Delta is experiencing this issue.

Sat May 25, 2019 5:49 pm

A StarTribune article appearing today on their website about the current atmosphere and situation involving some of Delta's employee's (ramp workers and flight attendants) who are involved in a union organizing effort.

http://www.startribune.com/the-public-f ... 510393512/

MIflyer12

Re: Contentious union organizing and related matters were a part of Northwest; now Delta is experiencing this issue.

Sat May 25, 2019 5:58 pm

There's a pretty succinct put-up-or-shut-up line in the Star Tribune article:

The groups can’t unionize without an election, and an election won’t be held unless more than 50% of the workers sign an authorization card. Those signatures are only valid for a year, so the union is constantly returning to members and asking them to sign a new card, which are then valid for another year.

If the craft(s) can show 50% valid signature cards to the NMB they can request an election. Until then it's just minority-opinion rabble-rousing.

wjcandee

Re: Contentious union organizing and related matters were a part of Northwest; now Delta is experiencing this issue.

Sat May 25, 2019 6:32 pm

"Valid" being the key word, of course.

usflyer msp

Sat May 25, 2019 6:38 pm

When is union organizing not contentious?

MSPSXMFLIER
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2019 7:21 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Based on my experiences, there are three levels: respectful, contentious and Northwest contentious. I'm a union guy of 20 years and the vast majority of my union dealings have been respectful. Only one contentious organizing incident with a former employer. Having had some family and many more friends working for NWA from the early 1960's until the mid-1990's, they saw quite a bit. Even some of their union friends in other trades, etc... remarked how difficult and bitter sounding any negotiations were with either Donald Nyrop or Steven Rothmeier versus their own respective employers.

TTailedTiger

Sat May 25, 2019 8:05 pm

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Based on my experiences, there are three levels: respectful, contentious and Northwest contentious. I'm a union guy of 20 years and the vast majority of my union dealings have been respectful. Only one contentious organizing incident with a former employer. Having had some family and many more friends working for NWA from the early 1960's until the mid-1990's, they saw quite a bit. Even some of their union friends in other trades, etc... remarked how difficult and bitter sounding any negotiations were with either Donald Nyrop or Steven Rothmeier versus their own respective employers.

I've heard some horrible things about Donald Nyrop. I'm not sure why he doesn't get more hate than Lorenzo and others. He took the doors off of bathroom stalls so that people would finish their business sooner. I realize that was may years ago but surely even back then it would have violated several laws.

kiowa

Sat May 25, 2019 8:27 pm

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I would say the management at delta has been the “contentious “ one. They have been pushing around their employees with non-union propaganda. I believe the unions have been quite respectful of their potential members.

jfern022

Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 pm

kiowa wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I would say the management at delta has been the “contentious “ one. They have been pushing around their employees with non-union propaganda. I believe the unions have been quite respectful of their potential members.

The unions are just as bad. They harass the Delta employees, either by stopping them outside their workplaces, or visiting their homes, which is completely unwarranted. On top of that, they offer a lot of false promises to DL employees of "the things they will make DL do".

TTailedTiger

Sat May 25, 2019 8:49 pm

jfern022 wrote:
kiowa wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:

The unions are just as bad. They harass the Delta employees, either by stopping them outside their workplaces, or visiting their homes, which is completely unwarranted. On top of that, they offer a lot of false promises to DL employees of "the things they will make DL do".

Those union bosses would be given one warning to stay off of my property.

kiowa

Sat May 25, 2019 9:30 pm

jfern022 wrote:
kiowa wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:

How do you know they are “false promises “? Much of the talent at delta came from nwa and worked well with the unions. NWA made Delta or contributed heavily to the airline that Delta is today.

MSPSXMFLIER
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2019 9:53 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

I've heard some horrible things about Donald Nyrop. I'm not sure why he doesn't get more hate than Lorenzo and others. He took the doors off of bathroom stalls so that people would finish their business sooner. I realize that was may years ago but surely even back then it would have violated several laws.

Nyrop was quite the tough bastard in his day. That said, he addressed some serious problems at Northwest, not least of which were a string of air crashes, involving DC-4 and Martin 202 aircraft, which happened before his arrival and which prompted then NWA management to seek him out to fix and run the company as he was head of what was the forerunner of the NTSB, the U.S. Civil Aeronautics Board. In my opinion, the difference between Nyrop and Lorenzo is simple, the era in which each man ruled their respective airlines and the scrutiny that each received in the media coverage of the day. Nyrop got away with things like removing bathroom stall doors and building a windowless headquarters building, which made him feared and loathed, but also respected and admired for his skill in growing the company in size, aircraft, profits, safety and innovations.

Antarius

Sat May 25, 2019 10:03 pm

kiowa wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
kiowa wrote:

How do you know they are “false promises “? Much of the talent at delta came from nwa and worked well with the unions. NWA made Delta or contributed heavily to the airline that Delta is today.

Look at UA and AA for comparison. DL employees are better off, as is the airline.

Lord know what the HP/US and AA unions managed to agree to to oust Horton and co, but it certainly hasnt paid off for them at all.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX

F9Animal

Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 pm

What happened to the Union Northwest workers when Delta came in? When I worked for Northwest, we were union. Are those rampers no longer union?
I Am A Different Animal!!

lavalampluva

Sat May 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Didn’t NW have a history of union issues? Seems like the pilots union, for one, was always a hotbed of problems.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

NWADTWE16

Sat May 25, 2019 11:04 pm

what rampers? below the wing is almost all gone-that's what no union gets you, along with fleet service, a lot of maintenance, on and on.

DL , to be fair, has been very smart at sharing the profits to an extent with employees but pay is still ridiculously low except for pilots, and the executives of every company in this country feed themselves a disgusting amount of the pie
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

MSPSXMFLIER
Topic Author

Sat May 25, 2019 11:12 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Didn’t NW have a history of union issues? Seems like the pilots union, for one, was always a hotbed of problems.

Yup, they sure did! One could almost set their watch and mark their calendar by the various strikes and other labor issues that got Northwest into the local media, regularly. It was a toss up between the pilots union and the mechanics union for who made the most noise and had the most incidents.

NWADTWE16

Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 pm

I remember the slowdowns by maintenance in particular. At the time, as a gate agent, that created some seriously volatile situations for me in with the gate lice. Light-bulb needs replacing? 4 hour advise time lol

tb727

Sat May 25, 2019 11:16 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

Yes and in 2005 all their mechanics went out on strike with AMFA and were replaced by scabs and management mechanics overseeing mostly non-licensed "mechanics" work on airplanes. That strike wasn't resolved until the merger with DL. Some came back, many didn't. I refused to fly on NW after that and that was coming from someone whom wanted nothing more in my life than to fly for them from a very young age.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

jfern022

Sun May 26, 2019 12:22 am

kiowa wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I’m no longer in a division where I’m at threat of being unionized but I was in one up until recently. Let’s name some of the false promises:

Pensions will come back

Vacation time will go up

Raises, etc

No reserve for FA’s

Every single ask comes with a cost, and that’s what people don’t get. They either refuse to believe it or are naive to the concept. I’ve heard certain people close to the campaign tell other coworkers that they will get all the asks for nothing in return. That’s the most laughable part.

I negotiated a pair of CBA’s for a government entities in a past life. The city I worked for was flush with cash and even then to get a 3% raise came at a cost. Might not have been giving something back, but it was taking something else that we were asking off the table.

As far as the workers, some good talent has come for NW, but I’ll tell you in a lot of places after the merger, some of the laziest, prefaced by many expletives, workers I’ve ever seen in my life, wore that red tail. So we got some good talent, but also a lot of garbage too.

Trk1

Sun May 26, 2019 12:30 am

Since when are Delta employees better off than Southwest, United or American? What data do you have?

zchannel

Sun May 26, 2019 1:02 am

Interesting this came up. Didn’t see this posted anywhere, so I’ll link to it:

https://thehustle.co/Delta-airlines-ant ... deo-games/

Disclaimer: I am not in the industry let alone associated with a Delta, but to suggest the worker’s potential union dues would be better spent playing video games is a bit much (assuming this is real).

Edited for punctuation
ZChannel: Member FDIC

MSPSXMFLIER
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2019 1:11 am

tb727 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Yes and in 2005 all their mechanics went out on strike with AMFA and were replaced by scabs and management mechanics overseeing mostly non-licensed "mechanics" work on airplanes. That strike wasn't resolved until the merger with DL. Some came back, many didn't. I refused to fly on NW after that and that was coming from someone whom wanted nothing more in my life than to fly for them from a very young age.

I believe the last few years of Northwest, from 2005 to 2008, were the worst ever in terms of labor relations at the airline. You mentioned the mechanics strike in 2005. A narrowly approved agreement with flight attendants came the following year after many years of protracted negotiations. The pilots union and management had yet another public spat in 2007. When the first word came about Northwest holding talks with Delta, a number of flight attendants and gate agents that I knew working then, expressed relief and optimism that if a merger deal could be worked out, things would get better and they wouldn’t be sad to see the Northwest name disappear as they felt that Northwest was the one being acquired. The last person I have a direct connection with, who worked for Northwest and then Delta, retired in 2017 and they felt those last 7-8 years were the best and happiest for them.

NW

Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 am

Antarius wrote:
kiowa wrote:
jfern022 wrote:

Look at UA and AA for comparison. DL employees are better off, as is the airline.

Lord know what the HP/US and AA unions managed to agree to to oust Horton and co, but it certainly hasnt paid off for them at all.

Hoe are we better; outside of profit sharing? There are a lot of items in the AA and UA contracts I wish I had at Delta. Also, a lot of things I wish I had that current unionized Delta employees have.

NW

Sun May 26, 2019 1:15 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
jfern022 wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Those union bosses would be given one warning to stay off of my property.

The home visits are supposed to be to those who previously signed an A card in an attempt to get a new card signed when the current one is nearing expiration.

NWADTWE16

Sun May 26, 2019 3:29 am

Those "garbage" agents are all working gates in Atlanta so more than 50% chance they came from DL, just sayin

TTailedTiger

Sun May 26, 2019 3:32 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
what rampers? below the wing is almost all gone-that's what no union gets you, along with fleet service, a lot of maintenance, on and on.

DL , to be fair, has been very smart at sharing the profits to an extent with employees but pay is still ridiculously low except for pilots, and the executives of every company in this country feed themselves a disgusting amount of the pie

How does a union stop outsourcing? The company can just fire them all and bring in the replacements. People think way too highly of tbemeves.

SierraPacific

Sun May 26, 2019 3:54 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:

How does a union stop outsourcing? The company can just fire them all and bring in the replacements. People think way too highly of tbemeves.

It makes it helluva lot harder to do that with a union and for that reason, airlines are one of the most unionized industry. There is a reason that management hates dealing with unions and it is not because unions make it harder to give raises to employees.

NW

Sun May 26, 2019 4:34 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:

The collective bargaining agreements have language around what outsourcing, if any, can occur. Yes, outsourcing can still occur, but legal consequences will entail as a result. The main reason I still have a job today at Delta is because my job/station was protected due to outsourcing language when I was represented by a union.

I was originally anti-union during most of my tenure at Northwest but have a completely different view now. Having been both union and nonunion now, I would go back to union in a heartbeat if I could.

lavalampluva

Sun May 26, 2019 5:04 am

Wasn’t it one of the pilots strike that grounded the entire fleet but a handful of 747 aircraft flying domestic routes?

jfern022

Sun May 26, 2019 5:13 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
Those "garbage" agents are all working gates in Atlanta so more than 50% chance they came from DL, just sayin

While that may be true, I have never seen lazier people than I’ve seen in DTW. Countless times either passing through on work or leisure have I seen just an unwillingness to help customers from the “senior agents”, even in the middle of major IROPs.

The idea for this commercial didn’t come from fantasy land. Everyone around here knows there is truth to it.

https://youtu.be/M-RwjNKP9PA

Delta may not be perfect, but I’ll tell you I see a lot more of my coworkers happier here than I do at AA, UA or WN.

TTailedTiger

Sun May 26, 2019 5:22 am

NW wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:

The collective bargaining agreements have language around what outsourcing, if any, can occur. Yes, outsourcing can still occur, but legal consequences will entail as a result. The main reason I still have a job today at Delta is because my job/station was protected due to outsourcing language when I was represented by a union.

I was originally anti-union during most of my tenure at Northwest but have a completely different view now. Having been both union and nonunion now, I would go back to union in a heartbeat if I could.

Didn't work so well for the Noerhwest mechanics. If you are found to be acting in bad faith management has the right to remedy it.

MSPSXMFLIER
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2019 5:39 am

lavalampluva wrote:
Wasn’t it one of the pilots strike that grounded the entire fleet but a handful of 747 aircraft flying domestic routes?

I think you might be referring to an incident that took place in the late summer of 1998. Northwest management walked away from pilot negotiations, locking out their pilots and shutting down the airline for over two weeks.

lavalampluva

Sun May 26, 2019 12:07 pm

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

I think you might be referring to an incident that took place in the late summer of 1998. Northwest management walked away from pilot negotiations, locking out their pilots and shutting down the airline for over two weeks.

No. I think this happened during the late 1970s.

NW

Mon May 27, 2019 4:28 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
NW wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Didn't work so well for the Noerhwest mechanics. If you are found to be acting in bad faith management has the right to remedy it.

Actually the legal issue did work, Delta settled with the union on behalf of the Northwest employees. I agree, if you are truely acting in bad faith the company should be able remedy the situation without union interference. Same as if management or the company is acting in bad faith the frontline should have a way to remedy the situation without having to hire their own councel.

dlflynhayn

Mon May 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Trk1 wrote:
Since when are Delta employees better off than Southwest, United or American? What data do you have?

I have family members at AA/UA from what i get from them is far from any happiness at work lol.I've been with DL since 96 non-union all the way and i couldn't be any happier.

jfklganyc

Mon May 27, 2019 2:52 pm

“Bring back pensions”

Hahaha. What world are they living in?

Private sector pensions in the US are as gone as the do do

Public sector pensions are also going

Antarius

Mon May 27, 2019 3:19 pm

jfern022 wrote:
Delta may not be perfect, but I’ll tell you I see a lot more of my coworkers happier here than I do at AA, UA or WN.

As a passenger, my experience interacting with various airline employees mirrors yours.

UA is a basket case. AA was down pre bankruptcy, then up and now rapidly descending into a mess. WN, seems to still maintain a culture though. Their employees seem happy.
Last edited by Antarius on Mon May 27, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX

micstatic

Mon May 27, 2019 3:19 pm

pensions are a pyramid scheme when you look at population trends as well as how long people live.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

Antarius

Mon May 27, 2019 3:20 pm

micstatic wrote:
pensions are a pyramid scheme when you look at population trends as well as how long people live.

Pensions may no longer make financial sense, but they are not a "pyramid scheme". Hyperbole, much?

micstatic

Mon May 27, 2019 3:27 pm

maybe a strong term, but I think you get the idea.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos