flyPIT

Re: OAG Changes 5/26/2019:AA Exits CLT-GDL,PHL-EYW/SRQ/MLB to daily;AV Exits MIA-SAL;SY Extension;UA Tweaks

Sun May 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
CLE: they just keep on losing with UA. This week, they lost half of their frequencies to LAX. (It’s about time that AA or DL start this one)

How do you figure? They have the same exact frequency this July as last July (1.8):
UA CLE-LAX JUL 3>1.8[1.8]
FLYi

adamh8297

Re: OAG Changes 5/26/2019:AA Exits CLT-GDL,PHL-EYW/SRQ/MLB to daily;AV Exits MIA-SAL;SY Extension;UA Tweaks

Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 pm

enilria wrote:

AT BOS-CMN DEC 0.4>0.7[0]

EI BOS-DUB JAN 1.2>1.5[1.2] FEB 1.0>1.4[1.0]

Thanks as always for the weekly OAG thread.

1) Appears AT is running 6 weekly (no Mondays) from 12/14/19 to 1/11/20. I wonder if this is due to B6 feed rather than BOS-CMM-AT Africa/Europe destination.

2) Last year EI ran three extra frequencies for January. When combined with February this is a big increase for the lowest point for Transatlantic travel to/from BOS.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

727LOVER

Sun May 26, 2019 11:16 pm

Kronesian wrote:
Well overdue for MLB. With Elite ending scheduled flights here, it will be nice to see more AA here to take the place.

Well, you're right...but when did this happen?

How did you find out?

I googled Elite Airways ending Melbourne and couldn't find anything
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

toltommy

Sun May 26, 2019 11:27 pm

Ishrion wrote:

AA at EYW has grown a ton in the past year or so with the addition of PHL, DFW, and ORD.

How many flights did CLT-EYW have at this time last year?

AA doesn't operate the 737-700... would the 737-800 and A319 be able to fly on EYW's 4,801 ft runway?

All 3 started as a weekly flight that moved to daily quickly. UA also started service from ORD and EWR that was successful as well. I'd say the loser in all this is DL because they insist on funneling everything via ATL. DTW could work based on all this success.

A 738 is too big for EYW, but DL has scheduled the 319 into EYW in the past. Not sure is the engines on AA's would allow them to serve EYW without a penalty.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

AirFiero

Sun May 26, 2019 11:45 pm

grbauc wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Something that wouldn’t show up in the OAG report but is worth noting is that AA didn’t resume the SJC-CLT route this month for the extended summer season. It was expanding YOY from 2 months to 6. This year, nothing. Although they flew it with an Airbus, I’m assuming it’s MAX8 related (short on planes)?

It was announced quite a few months ago (November, I believe) that the flight wouldn't return, so it wasn't MAX related. Definitely weird since it went from 2 months of an A319 to 6 months of an A321 in just 2 years.

Is it possible there routing the connecting traffic Through another hub? PHX DFW PHL?

Obviously, by default, there not being a nonstop. But I think the real question is, why were they increasing the length of the seasonal service then decided not to bring it back at all? We’re there other cut backs at CLT?

klm617

Sun May 26, 2019 11:51 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Winners for this week:

EYW: 5 daily flights to CLT!!! (It’s about time). When is the mainline 737-700/A319 coming???

MSP: never seen this much growth from SY in one thread.

JAN and SFB: not for gaining anything, but for being the only airports that could keep Via Air’s services.

Losers for this week:

CLE: they just keep on losing with UA. This week, they lost half of their frequencies to LAX.

AUS: dehubbed by Via

DTW All the growth that was suppose to happen internationally at Detroit this summer has been evaporated. First WOW and now this.

"and now this" what? The post you quoted has no mention of DTW.

It listed losers of the week I just added my thoughts on who I also thought was a loser for this week.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Kronesian

Mon May 27, 2019 12:04 am

727LOVER wrote:
Kronesian wrote:
Well overdue for MLB. With Elite ending scheduled flights here, it will be nice to see more AA here to take the place.

Well, you're right...but when did this happen?

How did you find out?

I googled Elite Airways ending Melbourne and couldn't find anything

Can't book anything on Elite's website anymore. Got 2 friends who work there, and they have confirmed they are leaving. The last flight to/from Portland was Friday.
KMLB

enilria
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 1:34 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
enilria wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

They appear to be, at least through June.

Yes. Seems like a big potential win for them.
RJNUT wrote:
it also seems to reflect a staffing issue at a UA Express carrier.

That makes more sense. I can’t believe they are doing MAX cancels 30 days out at this point. The crew bid is probably closed.
Bigant0408 wrote:
I’m wondering with all this expansion/extension from SY if they’re receiving more aircrafts this year. Regardless glad to see them doing well overall

I believe they are growing quite a bit. Wikipedia?

You don’t have to believe it, but they are. They just extended the Max cuts to August this week.

That's fine. Just surprised they would make the decision so close in at this point.
kyrone wrote:
Thank you for your hard work and pardon my poor reading skills, is Sun Country staying all year in ORD? I might recall incorrectly, but I thought they were summer seasonal.....

I believe they stop at New Years.
adamh8297 wrote:
Thanks as always for the weekly OAG thread.

:)
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Winners for this week:

EYW: 5 daily flights to CLT!!! (It’s about time). When is the mainline 737-700/A319 coming???

JAN and SFB: not for gaining anything, but for being the only airports that could keep Via Air’s services.

Losers for this week:

CLE: they just keep on losing with UA. This week, they lost half of their frequencies to LAX. (It’s about time that AA or DL start this one)

CDG: DL basically took every 1x daily and made it into a 0.7x daily.

I like it. Keep it going!

grbauc

Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 am

AirFiero wrote:
grbauc wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

It was announced quite a few months ago (November, I believe) that the flight wouldn't return, so it wasn't MAX related. Definitely weird since it went from 2 months of an A319 to 6 months of an A321 in just 2 years.

Is it possible there routing the connecting traffic Through another hub? PHX DFW PHL?

Obviously, by default, there not being a nonstop. But I think the real question is, why were they increasing the length of the seasonal service then decided not to bring it back at all? We’re there other cut backs at CLT?

I suppose we need to know the amount of connection traffic vs people goin.g to CLT. A lot of times I think we (A-net) over-read/overthink service adds and equipment changes.

BTVB6Flyer

Mon May 27, 2019 2:08 am

Any idea on the sudden AC ramp up of Ops in TPA? The market has been pretty much level the past couple of years.

AirFiero

Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 am

grbauc wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
grbauc wrote:

I suppose we need to know the amount of connection traffic vs people goin.g to CLT. A lot of times I think we (A-net) over-read/overthink service adds and equipment changes.

Someone posted the PDEW numbers for the route. It was more than enough to fill the planes in the summer. Loads were probably too weak during the off season for year round service.

FLYKTPA

Mon May 27, 2019 2:47 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Any idea on the sudden AC ramp up of Ops in TPA? The market has been pretty much level the past couple of years.

Looks like YHZ is going to Rouge. I imagine YOW is too.

Maybe the growth is to discourage Swoop from growing at TPA?
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

dcajet

Mon May 27, 2019 3:25 am

From paperwork filed with Colombia's Aerocivil. it appears that Avianca is NOT cancelling SAL-MIA, but instead having the route operated by Avianca Colombia on a daily basis on the MDE-SAL-MIA route. SAL-BOS is also going to AV Colombia, on the CLO-SAL-BOS route and one of the 3 daily flights on the SAL-IAD route going to AV Colombia too, on the BOG-SAL-IAD route.

"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

ahj2000

Mon May 27, 2019 3:35 am

AirFiero wrote:
Something that wouldn’t show up in the OAG report but is worth noting is that AA didn’t resume the SJC-CLT route this month for the extended summer season. It was expanding YOY from 2 months to 6. This year, nothing. Although they flew it with an Airbus, I’m assuming it’s MAX8 related (short on planes)?

I would also make that assumption. Wasn't it a 738 last year? (or maybe I saw a replacement?)
-Andrés Juánez

AirFiero

Mon May 27, 2019 5:11 am

ahj2000 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

I would also make that assumption. Wasn't it a 738 last year? (or maybe I saw a replacement?)

A319 or A320

stl07

Mon May 27, 2019 6:20 am

The biggest winner this week was Volaris. Their insignificant CLT flight has successfully challenged AA and made them fold. Wow! AA has been viscously challenging every airline that has added flights to their hubs, getting other airlines to cancel their new routes, and yet here, the opposite has occured and AA's challenge backfired. This has the potential to open the floodgates for other airlines to challenge AA.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Supersarestupid

Mon May 27, 2019 7:52 am

New 9K flights aren't for sale online yet. Curious about them and the Boston to Manhattan seaplane service.

RJNUT

Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm

Supersarestupid wrote:
New 9K flights aren't for sale online yet. Curious about them and the Boston to Manhattan seaplane service.

I think you are confusing 9X with 9K Southern Airways versus Cape Air. I did find 9X flights PVD-ACK on Orbitz

usflyer msp

Mon May 27, 2019 1:30 pm

stl07 wrote:
The biggest winner this week was Volaris. Their insignificant CLT flight has successfully challenged AA and made them fold. Wow! AA has been viscously challenging every airline that has added flights to their hubs, getting other airlines to cancel their new routes, and yet here, the opposite has occured and AA's challenge backfired. This has the potential to open the floodgates for other airlines to challenge AA.

I would not read all of that into AA's decision. AA just figured a tiny market like CLT-GDL was not worth fighting over - especially when there are other much higher priority uses for that airframe at this time.

BA744PHX

Mon May 27, 2019 1:37 pm

stl07 wrote:

A bit over dramatic don't you think? Comparing a LCC who barely operates flights 1-2x weekly against a Legacy carrier who operated daily... AA had much more to loose and it wasn't worth operating
UA Gold 2019, DL Silver 2019
Upcoming flights
UA EWR-PHX/LHR/CLT/NRT/ORD/YYZ
NH NRT-BKK-NRT
TG BKK-HKT-BKK

LAXdude1023

Mon May 27, 2019 2:10 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I would not read all of that into AA's decision. AA just figured a tiny market like CLT-GDL was not worth fighting over - especially when there are other much higher priority uses for that airframe at this time.

Not to mention CLT-GDL is a barely existent local market.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Gulfstream500

Mon May 27, 2019 3:32 pm

grbauc wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
grbauc wrote:

Well, for perspective:

AA in CLT is over 90% of the traffic. If everyone in CLT was O&D, and assuming that half of the people there are not from Charlotte, then every person in Charlotte is taking a flight once every 40 days.

If CLT was a normally size airport for its metro population, then only 10-14 million passengers should be flying through CLT every year (using stats from Richmond and RDU). That’s a lot of connecting passengers.

Welcome to layover county.
Thinking of a good signature is hard...

Brickell305

Mon May 27, 2019 5:39 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
stl07 wrote:

AA felt the need to respond though. And has also felt the need to respond in smaller markets such as DFW-SKB among others. I think it’s fair to say Volaris “won”.

BoeingGuy

Mon May 27, 2019 6:18 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
stl07 wrote:

What about CLT-SJC? Is that permanently discontinued, or just temporarily suspended due to the MAX grounding?

chepos

Mon May 27, 2019 6:31 pm

It’s amazing to see ATL SJU at 1.1 in Nov. that route years ago was multiple widebodies a day. Now it is mostly 737’s I believe. I recall flying the L1011 then the domestic 767/757 on that run many times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

WingsOfLove

Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
CLT-GDL is a barely existent local market.

How empty are Volaris flights?

May be the reason AA didn't think it was worth it?

tkoenig95

Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 pm

klm617 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
klm617 wrote:

DTW All the growth that was suppose to happen internationally at Detroit this summer has been evaporated. First WOW and now this.

"and now this" what? The post you quoted has no mention of DTW.

It listed losers of the week I just added my thoughts on who I also thought was a loser for this week.

AUS could hardly bc called a "hub" by Via. They consistently cancelled a huge portion of their flights for the past few months. It was more of a slow departure on the airline's end.

Supersarestupid

Tue May 28, 2019 3:36 am

RJNUT wrote:
Supersarestupid wrote:

I think you are confusing 9X with 9K Southern Airways versus Cape Air. I did find 9X flights PVD-ACK on Orbitz

True story! Totally glossed over that minor letter difference! Seaplane service should be 9K though if it ever happens.

WA707atMSP

Tue May 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Chuska wrote:
The two markets on AN that are showing cut (ABQ-SVC and PHX-SVC) are probably not happening as these are EAS markets. AN is contracted to service these routes through 2020.

Enilra's weekly OAG threads (thanks, as always for your hard work, Enilra!), sometimes show EAS routes dropped one week, then reappearing a week or two later.

That having been said, it will be interesting to see what happens at SVC when the current EAS contract expires, because AA and UA are going after EAS markets so aggressively. It would not be surprising if AA offered to fly PHX-SVC; UA / OO flying SVC-DEN is less likely, but not out of the question.

Aliqiout

Tue May 28, 2019 2:23 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Chuska wrote:
The two markets on AN that are showing cut (ABQ-SVC and PHX-SVC) are probably not happening as these are EAS markets. AN is contracted to service these routes through 2020.

Enilra's weekly OAG threads (thanks, as always for your hard work, Enilra!), sometimes show EAS routes dropped one week, then reappearing a week or two later.

That having been said, it will be interesting to see what happens at SVC when the current EAS contract expires, because AA and UA are going after EAS markets so aggressively. It would not be surprising if AA offered to fly PHX-SVC; UA / OO flying SVC-DEN is less likely, but not out of the question.

It would take a very large subsidy to make it work for AA or UA. Does anyone know what the smallest EAS market served by a major airline in the lower 48 is?

LAXdude1023

Tue May 28, 2019 3:01 pm

WingsOfLove wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
CLT-GDL is a barely existent local market.

How empty are Volaris flights?

May be the reason AA didn't think it was worth it?

I dont know that the Volaris flights are empty, but 2x weekly with lots of connections available at GDL should be fine for CLT.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

incitatus

Tue May 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Avianca Brasil (O6) schedule is a work of fiction. They have not flown to the US since April. A few weeks ago they trimmed their domestic Brazil schedule to only 4 airports - Rio, SP, Brasilia and Salvador. They had been hoping to keep a modicum of operation to auction assets and slots. They were grounded by Brazil's civil aviation authority last week. They are dead.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

MAH4546

Tue May 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Re: MIA-SAL, it's still in GDS and at the normal fares, not high fare buckets, so maybe an error for Avianca.
a.

ucdtim17

Tue May 28, 2019 11:57 pm

Another week of crickets from AS. Perhaps congrats are in order as they seem to have settled on the ideal perfectly efficient schedule, with no further tweaks required. Surprising no other airlines have managed to figure that out.

enilria
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:43 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT:
There was a cable line problem near me and I don’t have internet to my PC as a result, so I can’t process the changes for the 6/2/2019 edition. It appears they have to dig something up, so it may/will be later in the week before I can post an update.

AirFiero

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:47 pm

enilria wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT:
There was a cable line problem near me and I don’t have internet to my PC as a result, so I can’t process the changes for the 6/2/2019 edition. It appears they have to dig something up, so it may/will be later in the week before I can post an update.

Thanks, enilria. Damned cable crew ruined my Sunday morning coffee. ;)

Aliqiout

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:56 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
Another week of crickets from AS. Perhaps congrats are in order as they seem to have settled on the ideal perfectly efficient schedule, with no further tweaks required. Surprising no other airlines have managed to figure that out.

They had a normal update two weeks ago. The long stretch of nothing prior to that was very unusual, but in normal times it was not unusual for AS to be quite for a week or two. They do have a lot less to adjust than the the US3, especially when they are not aggressively growing. We will see with the next OAG update whether AS is back to to normal, or not.

shaq

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:00 pm

enilria wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Thank you for the heads up!
I hope you recover your Internet service soon
Studying hard, for flying right!

many321

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for letting us know. :)

oosnowrat

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
Chuska wrote:

It would take a very large subsidy to make it work for AA or UA. Does anyone know what the smallest EAS market served by a major airline in the lower 48 is?

Do you mean an actual major holding the contract, or an outfit like OO holding the contract and flying in the major's colors?
Last edited by oosnowrat on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SANFan

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:35 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:

Agree totally. Here we go again... It's summertime in Seattle so perhaps all the network planners have taken the summer off to spend it at the beach or sailing the Puget Sound?

As I've posted before, this is truly confusing and something I've rarely, if ever, seen before. This definitely a first for AAG. Their new head of Network Planning, I thought, began work around the first of May.

As you said, ucd', I too am so happy and impressed that they can foresee their schedule needs 6 months or more ahead and need to adjust nothing...

bb

Bigant0408

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 pm

enilria wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Thanks for the heads up. Always look forward to your updates.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

LAXBUR

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 pm

SANFan wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

Agree totally. Here we go again... It's summertime in Seattle so perhaps all the network planners have taken the summer off to spend it at the beach or sailing the Puget Sound?

As I've posted before, this is truly confusing and something I've rarely, if ever, seen before. This definitely a first for AAG. Their new head of Network Planning, I thought, began work around the first of May.

As you said, ucd', I too am so happy and impressed that they can foresee their schedule needs 6 months or more ahead and need to adjust nothing...

bb

Just because there aren’t frequency changes doesn’t mean there aren’t schedule changes. I’ve seen schedule changes and aircraft changes. But I know that makes the narrative that Alaska is having major issues less exciting.

DDR

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:12 pm

enilria wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Thanks for letting us know. I was actually more worried about you than the normal Sunday update.

enilria
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:30 pm

DDR wrote:
enilria wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Thanks for letting us know. I was actually more worried about you than the normal Sunday update.

I figured out how to tether my cell phone via usb. I think I can do it. Working on it now.

SANFan

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
SANFan wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

As I've posted before, this is truly confusing and something I've rarely, if ever, seen before. This definitely is a first for AAG. Their new head of Network Planning, I thought, began work around the first of May.

bb

Just because there aren’t frequency changes doesn’t mean there aren’t schedule changes. I’ve seen schedule changes and aircraft changes. But I know that makes the narrative that Alaska is having major issues less exciting.

I never said AS is having major issues did I? Ucdtim' didn't and I said, as re-quoted above by you, " this is truly confusing and something I've rarely, if ever, seen before". You, LAXBUR are the one who mentioned "major problems" at AS.

I monitor some city's schedules and there have indeed been a very few minor time changes -- 5 or 10 minutes -- and an occasional flight number change; I personally have seen no aircraft changes for months now, except in the case of the introduction of the MAX9s. There have been no frequency or capacity changes, new flights, or, of course, any new routes other than those few changes mentioned a couple of weeks ago on that single OAG thread.

I'm sure the MAX grounding has affected the work of the Route Planners at AS, as it obviously has at the other involved cx, but not to the point of any major schedule adjustments. AS is very smartly simply inserting the MAX a/c in the schedules as replacement on existing flights, between SEA and SAN & LAX so they can change the dates as necessary. This obviously is not reflected in the OAG threads.

bb

silentbob

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:33 pm

enilria wrote:
How big is the terminal in EYW?
*AA EYW-PHL DEC 0.1>0.5[0] JAN 0.1>1.0[0] FEB 0.2>1.0[0.1]

It will hold 150-200 uncomfortably. Not a ton of room there to expand it significantly without difficulty, either.

evank516

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:19 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Winners for this week:

Losers for this week:

CLE: they just keep on losing with UA. This week, they lost half of their frequencies to LAX.

AA at EYW has grown a ton in the past year or so with the addition of PHL, DFW, and ORD.

AA doesn't operate the 737-700... would the 737-800 and A319 be able to fly on EYW's 4,801 ft runway?

I think the A319 could do it for the MIA flights, not sure about CLT. Then again DL used the A319 on ATL-EYW once in a while. There's room on the tarmac for 2 mainline aircraft since it used to handle DL and WN/FL 737s at the same time.

silentbob

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:33 am

evank516 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Winners for this week:

Losers for this week:

I think the A319 could do it for the MIA flights, not sure about CLT. Then again DL used the A319 on ATL-EYW once in a while. There's room on the tarmac for 2 mainline aircraft since it used to handle DL and WN/FL 737s at the same time.

They have upgraded the entire ramp area to handle larger aircraft, it's all concrete now. It hasn't been expanded yet, but it has been upgraded.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos