EA CO AS
Topic Author

AS wins 12th straight JD Power award

Wed May 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Congratulations to my co-workers on being named the highest in customer satisfaction among network carriers for the 12th straight year in a row!

https://twitter.com/JDPower/status/1133689463513714688

Congrats also to WN and B6 who tied for best in the low-cost category!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PlanesNTrains

Re: AS wins 12th straight JD Power award

Wed May 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Cue the negativity in 3-2-1...
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

usdcaguy

Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 pm

All the rankings are basically as expected, though the two surprises are AC ranked as "the rest" (same as UA) and AA ranked "about average". Seems like AC was once ranked the best carrier in North America. What has happened that would cause it to be ranked so low? That AA bested UA was a surprise, as so many people complain about them. It basically means that UA still has not caught up to the other majors in terms of quality and has a long way to go. They really need to improve their customer contact points in my opinion. They need to bring their reservations department back to the US so I can understand what they're saying, retrain some of their reservations and airport staff to not make mistakes and do more to boost morale among all staff. Meanwhile, why can't I get a free drink in Economy Plus?

MIflyer12

Wed May 29, 2019 2:47 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
All the rankings are basically as expected, though the two surprises are AC ranked as "the rest" ...

AC hasn't beaten the legacy carrier avg rating since 2013. (It tied in 2014.) https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

The 5/29/2019 press release has rather a lot more to say that the tweet. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

Seabear

Wed May 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Expectations have been driven so low that it's not surprising that "Airline Satisfaction Climbs to Record Highs".

Stockholm Syndrome.

IPFreely

Wed May 29, 2019 3:41 pm

Well done by Alaska. Twelve in a row is a reflection of total dominance. Especially impressive in a year with a major acquisition and a great accomplishment for former VX employees who are having the new experience of working for an airline that is rated #1 in customer satisfaction AND a an airline that makes a profit at the same time.

For other airlines what can anyone say besides “Nice try, better luck next year.” For the 12th year in a row.

SocalApproach

Wed May 29, 2019 7:43 pm

Seabear wrote:
Expectations have been driven so low that it's not surprising that "Airline Satisfaction Climbs to Record Highs".

Stockholm Syndrome.

:checkmark:

Interesting that B6 is considered a low cost carrier. I wonder how much AS is Paying to keep them in the low cost category to win this award. Do you think B6 is more comparable to NK or AS? :roll:

nine4nine

Wed May 29, 2019 7:49 pm

This ranking is about as honest as your inflight magazine- Best Steakhouses in America, Best Seafood in America, Best Plastic Surgeons in America. Pay to play.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

phxa340

Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Stockholm Syndrome.

Interesting that B6 is considered a low cost carrier. I wonder how much AS is Paying to keep them in the low cost category to win this award. Do you think B6 is more comparable to NK or AS? :roll:

Except you know that JD Power is extremely reputable and respected ? The B6 vs AS rivalry on here has gotten ridiculous ... why can’t they both be awesome ?

CobaltScar

Wed May 29, 2019 7:58 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Stockholm Syndrome.

Bingo. All we talk about on these boards are how AS/B6 are mirror twins of each other, yet if they were in the same category as they rightfully should be, AS would have won ZERO JDpowers in the last 20 years.

But congrats to AS in beating out UA and AA, I'm sure it was a uphill battle vs. those two paragons of service.

LawAndOrder

Wed May 29, 2019 7:59 pm

Still don’t understand how AS B6 and WN aren’t in the same category. Scoring wise southwest and JetBlue if placed in the same category would have beat AS. But at any rate I can’t control the grouping. So congrats to AS.

SocalApproach

Wed May 29, 2019 8:07 pm

phxa340 wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Stockholm Syndrome.

Except you know that JD Power is extremely reputable and respected ? The B6 vs AS rivalry on here has gotten ridiculous ... why can’t they both be awesome ?

well....

nine4nine wrote:
This ranking is about as honest as your inflight magazine- Best Steakhouses in America, Best Seafood in America, Best Plastic Surgeons in America. Pay to play.

LawAndOrder wrote:
Still don’t understand how AS B6 and WN aren’t in the same category. Scoring wise southwest and JetBlue if placed in the same category would have beat AS. But at any rate I can’t control the grouping. So congrats to AS.

This is all I am saying. I like all these airlines but I am objective. Not comparing them to start a war. They are both premium airlines in my opinion

USAirALB

Wed May 29, 2019 8:13 pm

I kind of have mixed feelings about AS. Now that I live in DC, I have been flying AS somewhat frequently. I've flown them to SFO twice this year (once ex DCA another ex BWI), once to SBA, and I'm flying them to YVR next month and to PSP in October.

I have to say for the most part the staff I have encountered have been amazing, and were above and beyond their counterparts of the US3. Genuinely friendly folk who seemed to be glad I was there and who looked as if they enjoyed their jobs. I checked a bag once on a SFO trip, and another time on the SBA trip, and upon dropping by bags off at DCA, the ground staff were very chatty each time (I hear the weather will be nice in San Francisco this weekend!/Oh you are off to SBA? Enjoy it, I have some family there!). The cabin crews I have encountered were equally as friendly for the most part. When I flew DCA-SEA-PDX-SBA this past January, I was impressed by the cabin crew on the DCA-SEA leg (One thing that really stood out was how when coming by to do the exit row brief, the FA sat down in the open seat next to me and welcomed me to the flight before going through the briefing).

I did have one bad experience on DCA-SFO in March (terrible crew who were filing their nails during the boarding process and only did one drink service on the near 7 hour flight, rolled their eyes when you requested another drink, etc) and I wrote in to AS about the experience, and got a $50 credit which AA would never do in a similar situation and I thought was a nice gesture.

That said, I find the inflight experience to be somewhat bare bones and cheap. On all of my flights there were no free pretzels/cookies/snack mix provided, whereas DL/UA/AA all provide free snacks. I recall AS used to provision snack mix and these soft-baked cookies and cinnamon bagel chips on AM flights.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 29, 2019 8:36 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Stockholm Syndrome.

Bingo. All we talk about on these boards are how AS/B6 are mirror twins of each other, yet if they were in the same category as they rightfully should be, AS would have won ZERO JDpowers in the last 20 years.

But congrats to AS in beating out UA and AA, I'm sure it was a uphill battle vs. those two paragons of service.

This is getting laughable.

1. Mirror twins? If mentioning complementary route networks and happy passengers makes them "mirror twins", so be it. As it is, you are using a (in your words) paid-for award to compare them. I think you need to pick a lane - is it a valid recognition or not? If it isn't, then stop spouting about B6 beating AS (by a relatively small gap, to be honest). If it is, then respect it and move on.

2. AS, B6, and WN are all different from one-another. Honestly, you choosing NK in a comparison is weird because it's WN that you are tied with. And again, after twenty years of premium service and mint and blue chips and London announcements, the best you can do is tie with WN?

3. At the end of the day, I'm mostly concerned that you are taking this all too personally. I hope you don't grab a few beers, blow the slide, and jump. Honestly, this is all not worth arguing over.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

CobaltScar

Wed May 29, 2019 8:48 pm

You seem to be addressing multiple people. I never claimed JD is paid for. I also never claimed to be a AS hater, infact I like them and hope they do merge with B6 one day and advocate for that.

People just need to understand that B6 is the superior product and service and brand. It would be a high crime against the global traveling public if the AS brand survived the merger because they just happen to have more fish hauling money. The surviving entity needs more to take it to the next level then a few extra fish bucks. That would be so short sighted.

B6 brand is the superior brand and must survive. A repeat of VX can't happen.

SocalApproach

Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:

This is getting laughable.

1. Mirror twins? If mentioning complementary route networks and happy passengers makes them "mirror twins", so be it. As it is, you are using a (in your words) paid-for award to compare them. I think you need to pick a lane - is it a valid recognition or not? If it isn't, then stop spouting about B6 beating AS (by a relatively small gap, to be honest). If it is, then respect it and move on.

2. AS, B6, and WN are all different from one-another. Honestly, you choosing NK in a comparison is weird because it's WN that you are tied with. And again, after twenty years of premium service and mint and blue chips and London announcements, the best you can do is tie with WN?

3. At the end of the day, I'm mostly concerned that you are taking this all too personally. I hope you don't grab a few beers, blow the slide, and jump. Honestly, this is all not worth arguing over.

I am not too sure who you are assuming is upset but to make the record clear I am talking about just the categories these airlines are in. I personally dont care who won. As i already said I like all three airlines.

USAirALB wrote:
That said, I find the inflight experience to be somewhat bare bones and cheap. On all of my flights there were no free pretzels/cookies/snack mix provided, whereas DL/UA/AA all provide free snacks. I recall AS used to provision snack mix and these soft-baked cookies and cinnamon bagel chips on AM flights.

Which is my sentiment as well. Its just mind boggling how B6 is considered "low cost" and competing with WN while AS competes against the big three.. If B6 is low cost what is AS? AS charges for bags, WiFi isnt free. No free snacks or food even in premium economy. But the Topic title speaks for itself so I am going to have a discussion about it and I am sorry if it seems like I am upset B6 cannot rightfully beat AS and prevent this 12th award because that is certainly not what I am trying to imply.

LawAndOrder wrote:

At least I am not alone in thinking like this. Not a shot at AS at all. Just pointing out how the grouping doesn't make sense :thumbsup:

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 pm

SocalApproach wrote:
:

Sorry - didn't mean to rope you into my reply. It wasn't directed at you.
-Dave

Aliqiout

Wed May 29, 2019 9:30 pm

AS is in the same category as the US3 because like them they are a legacy airline, have lounges, offer a premium class on all their mainline flights, and have regional feeders.

B6 being in the same category as NK is silly, but how many catagories can they really have?

RWA380

Wed May 29, 2019 9:40 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:

Right?! It only took 4 responses this time & nine before the first B6 fanboy jumped on it, the anti AS sentiment is palpable on A.net, sad really, we have both B6 & AS that are great carriers in their respective markets & yet the B6 fanboys are the first to bash AS & what is even more interesting is the similarities that both carriers must encounter.

WTG AS, AAG has been my preferred since they started their first lower 48 route, SEA-PDX-SEA. Since then I have had so many good experiences on an Alaska plane that it feels like visiting a good friend when I fly.
Last edited by RWA380 on Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

QXAS

Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Stockholm Syndrome.

Beating AA and UA doesn’t say much. But they’ve beat out DL for more than a decade. That’s gotta count for something. Interesting that you never include DL in the airlines they beat year after year.

Anywho, Congrats to everyone working for AS as well as under the AS brand at QX and OO. Barring a single issue on an OO flight last summer all Alaska branded flights for me have been absolutely spectacular. I like seeing the 26 point surge from last year. Shows that the merger kinks are being worked out.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

toobz

Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 pm

The product is underwhelming..the staff is what makes it JD worthy

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm

toobz wrote:

Probably very true. Fortunately it’s easier to fix product than it is people. Doing it’s another matter.
-Dave

rodsmd88

Wed May 29, 2019 10:10 pm

So to be fair I think the Delta folks have been doing a great job over the years and really have been innovative. I think that JD Power really need to put AS with B6 and others and leave the legacy carriers to battle...I think its easy for anyone from AS to be nice when they have maybe one or two flights a day from an outstation vers, most of the majors having multiple flights in a day. I think the system is broken and they need to rethink how they rate! I mean if it wasnt for DL most airlines would not have free entertainment or text messaging or free wi-fi coming soon! I am just pointing out things that make sense not to start a war. Congrats to my friends at AS but we need to really question the system!

metaldirtnskin

Wed May 29, 2019 10:12 pm

toobz wrote:

This is what sums it up for me (well, that and the FF program). AS has "the best service" from my home airport; all you have to do is ignore schedule convenience, on-time performance, number of destinations and quality of hard product. I really do like AS a lot, I just want them to quit bringing a knife to a gun fight.

IPFreely

Thu May 30, 2019 12:52 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:

Lots of sour grapes from fanboys of various airlines that aren't WN, B6, and AS. Best to ignore them and let them wallow in their misery.

It's very interesting that two of the top three airlines in the survey operate all their own flights and don't outsource flying to the lowest cost, lowest performing regional carriers they can find. And the third mainly uses one wholly-owned, high performing regional carrier. This is not a coincidence.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 12:57 am

CobaltScar wrote:

Uh, we're talking about JD Power awards for highest customer satisfaction here. I think your obsession with that other thread is getting to you. Might want to step away from the keyboard for a few days; we'll all feel better.

Anyway, ten years ago, AS took the top spot among traditional carriers with a score of 671 points. In 2014, it was 737 points. Today, it's 801, after setting an internal goal to try and score in the 800 point range. AS is slowly getting better and better, and there's no grand design to "beat" B6 or WN - we're just thrilled to have a score in such good company with other well-loved brands.

#iFlyAlaska #JDP12
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

dlflynhayn

Thu May 30, 2019 1:06 am

rodsmd88 wrote:
So to be fair I think the Delta folks have been doing a great job over the years and really have been innovative. I think that JD Power really need to put AS with B6 and others and leave the legacy carriers to battle...I think its easy for anyone from AS to be nice when they have maybe one or two flights a day from an outstation vers, most of the majors having multiple flights in a day. I think the system is broken and they need to rethink how they rate! I mean if it wasnt for DL most airlines would not have free entertainment or text messaging or free wi-fi coming soon! I am just pointing out things that make sense not to start a war. Congrats to my friends at AS but we need to really question the system!

Yes comparing AA/UA/DL TO AS IMHO not fare in a way with the big 3 having such a bigger network as to have more snags in a year than a smaller AS which should be in a different category but i don't make the rules.Since DL is pretty far ahead in YOY profits id say there doing pretty good also..But hey congrads AS

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 30, 2019 2:31 am

I guess I’m lost on how AS goes in the LCC carrier when basically the only difference between them and the US3 is their size?

I’m all for combining the categories for the purposes of discussion, though. I think it’s very telling - and hardly surprising - that WN, B6, AS, and DL are all in a reasonably close range of one another. 788 to 817 isn’t really that big of a difference. And each is different from the others, which shows that different strokes for different folks still applies. Now, more than ever in my lifetime, I’m appreciating the diversity in choice.
-Dave

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 30, 2019 2:41 am

CobaltScar wrote:
You seem to be addressing multiple people. I never claimed JD is paid for. I also never claimed to be a AS hater, infact I like them and hope they do merge with B6 one day and advocate for that.

People just need to understand that B6 is the superior product and service and brand. It would be a high crime against the global traveling public if the AS brand survived the merger because they just happen to have more fish hauling money. The surviving entity needs more to take it to the next level then a few extra fish bucks. That would be so short sighted.

I quoted multiple people - I assumed you’d see that. However, my post was disjointed because I was multi-tasking so that’s on me.

Aside from that, this isn’t a merger thread, B6 deserves recognition as well, and I would support you starting a thread about their JD success accordingly. I’d be happy to congratulate them there.

Back in the late 90’s I envisioned a re-made US Airways, one with no first class, with better legroom, inseat tv, and an overall better experience for everyone vs just those in the front. It’d be a value carrier versus a legacy carrier. Then JetBlue came along and basically replicated my thoughts. I know many people dreamed of the same thing - that’s not my point - but I’ve always rooted for JetBlue and respect what they and their team have accomplished.

I just think your approach on a.net is very much not representative of the airline that I think B6 is, but I guess it’s up to you how you choose to do Blue.
-Dave

SkyVoice

Thu May 30, 2019 3:35 am

Even though neither Alaska nor jetBlue serve my hometown airport (CVG), I still congratulate both carriers on their J. D. Power awards. My only question is, why isn't Hawaiian Airlines rated by J. D. Power? Isn't HA eligible?
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

questions

Thu May 30, 2019 3:42 am

So on-time performance and seat pitch do not matter.

From the article:
The North America Airline Satisfaction Study, now in its 15th year, measures passenger satisfaction with airline carriers in North America based on performance in seven factors (in order of importance):
1. cost and fees
2. in-flight services
3. aircraft
4. boarding/deplaning/baggage
5. flight crew
6. check-in
7. reservation

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 30, 2019 4:04 am

questions wrote:

From the article:
The North America Airline Satisfaction Study, now in its 15th year, measures passenger satisfaction with airline carriers in North America based on performance in seven factors (in order of importance):
1. cost and fees
2. in-flight services
3. aircraft
5. flight crew
6. check-in
7. reservation

It certainly isn’t a complete picture of the airline travel experience. In addition to what you put, you could add network, FF program, IDB’s, and probably a number of other items.
-Dave

B6BOSfan

Thu May 30, 2019 4:17 am

Seems like West Coast loves Alaska, East Coast (predominately the Northeast) loves JetBlue.

I've tried both Alaska and routinely fly JetBlue. Both offer excellent product. I am biased to JetBlue since I can fly to dozens of places from Boston. Alaska doesn't offer me nearly the options from out east.

I too don't understand how/why Southwest and Jetblue are in the same category yet Alaska is not. I could argue that Southwest and Alaska should be swapped, considering how much of the country Southwest covers.

Inflight entertainment and wifi goes to JetBlue no question. On-time performance goes to Alaska hands down. Cabin comfort overall I'd say goes to JetBlue. Convenience probably goes to Alaska, considering the number of smaller cities they serve.

In the end, I want all the other guys to be MORE like these two.

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 30, 2019 4:25 am

B6BOSfan wrote:
Seems like West Coast loves Alaska, East Coast (predominately the Northeast) loves JetBlue.

I've tried both Alaska and routinely fly JetBlue. Both offer excellent product. I am biased to JetBlue since I can fly to dozens of places from Boston. Alaska doesn't offer me nearly the options from out east.

I too don't understand how/why Southwest and Jetblue are in the same category yet Alaska is not. I could argue that Southwest and Alaska should be swapped, considering how much of the country Southwest covers.

Inflight entertainment and wifi goes to JetBlue no question. On-time performance goes to Alaska hands down. Cabin comfort overall I'd say goes to JetBlue. Convenience probably goes to Alaska, considering the number of smaller cities they serve.

In the end, I want all the other guys to be MORE like these two.

Good post.

I’m just not understanding - aside from size - how WN has more in common with the US3 than AS? I think if Mint were not being rolled out, it’d be much clearer: single class, no regional, blend of hubs and focus cities, etc. Mint is blurring the lines now, but B6 still seems to fit that category fine. Number 1 (tie or otherwise) is still Number 1 regardless of which subcategory they fall into. :-)
-Dave

hpff

Thu May 30, 2019 4:47 am

RWA380 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Right?! It only took 4 responses this time & nine before the first B6 fanboy jumped on it, the anti AS sentiment is palpable on A.net, sad really, we have both B6 & AS that are great carriers in their respective markets & yet the B6 fanboys are the first to bash AS & what is even more interesting is the similarities that both carriers must encounter.

It doesn't matter which thread this airline was about, the negativity will come out eventually and quickly, consider this is anet.

I really like AS, but as others have said here, it's really about the service the staff provide. Considering everything, my experiences on AA and DL have been from bad to good - and sometimes quite bad, AS has been from okay to good, even if their hard product isn't always the best, and the service at some of their outstations hasn't been the best either. Still I have more faith that if something goes wrong on an AS leg, it will be taken care of, whereas I've had a couple miserable experiences when things haven't gone right on AA and DL. Part of it though comes from the fact it's easier to operate on the west coast than the east coast, less congestion and better weather. Though I don't remember them not handing out snacks in economy? Congrats to them for their 12th straight award.

Pudelhund

Thu May 30, 2019 4:55 am

phxa340 wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Stockholm Syndrome.

I don't have a dog in this fight as a DL/SU fanboy, but are you joking? This has to be the most naive statement on a.net in 2019.

irelayer

Thu May 30, 2019 5:35 am

phxa340 wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Stockholm Syndrome.

JD Power is a giant advertising firm

MIflyer12

Thu May 30, 2019 1:43 pm

questions wrote:

From the article:
1. cost and fees
2. in-flight services
3. aircraft
5. flight crew
6. check-in
7. reservation

Why do you think a discussion of aircraft excludes seat pitch? Why do you think boarding/deplaning can't include customer perception of on-time performance?

MIflyer12

Thu May 30, 2019 1:47 pm

The legacy/LCC carrier distinctions that may have made sense when JD Power started this 15 years ago certainly have blurred. Low-cost carrier B6 has 100% AVOD and satellite wifi. Legacy carriers started charging for 1st bags, carry-ons (UA Basic Economy, looking at you), ended coach meals, and pulled the pillows/blankets/magazines. So, congratulations to Alaska Airlines for coming in 3rd!

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
The legacy/LCC carrier distinctions that may have made sense when JD Power started this 15 years ago certainly have blurred. Low-cost carrier B6 has 100% AVOD and satellite wifi. Legacy carriers started charging for 1st bags, carry-ons (UA Basic Economy, looking at you), ended coach meals, and pulled the pillows/blankets/magazines. So, congratulations to Alaska Airlines for coming in 3rd!

And Delta 4th! Hooray! :-)
-Dave

hiflyeras

Thu May 30, 2019 1:52 pm

I would love to see AS step up their game as to their inflight snack. Yes, there's a variety of for-purchase items but it'd be nice to have an option (salty or sweet?) for the complimentary snack served with your beverage. This is one area where they lag behind B6 and when JD Power changes up their airline categories (supposedly next year) AS will lose to B6 if they're lumped together.

milemaster

Thu May 30, 2019 2:00 pm

nine4nine wrote:

Yep JD Power is a pay to play award. They fact they shower Chevrolet with awards for quality every year pretty much tells you all you need to know about the deep consideration that goes into JD Power's awarding process.

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 30, 2019 2:17 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
I would love to see AS step up their game as to their inflight snack. Yes, there's a variety of for-purchase items but it'd be nice to have an option (salty or sweet?) for the complimentary snack served with your beverage. This is one area where they lag behind B6 and when JD Power changes up their airline categories (supposedly next year) AS may lose to B6 if they're lumped together.

Fixed that for ya. :-)

All fun aside, I think you’re right. But with the product that B6 offers, it’ll be hard for anyone to beat them. Then again, according to a number of people, it’s all pay-to-play anyhow so maybe AS is fine just the way they are?
-Dave

DFW17L

Thu May 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Congratulations, AS, you beat Sky High Airlines.

hiflyeras

Thu May 30, 2019 3:33 pm

DFW17L wrote:
Congratulations, AS, you beat Sky High Airlines.

Loved those old commercials!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=al ... &FORM=VIRE

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 4:26 pm

milemaster wrote:
nine4nine wrote:

Yep JD Power is a pay to play award.

My understanding is the only "pay" that happens is a licensing fee that allows winners to use the JD Power name and logos in the winner's branding, coupled with fees for each physical trophy that is produced. Do you have actual information to the contrary that you'd be willing to share?

questions

Thu May 30, 2019 6:52 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
milemaster wrote:
nine4nine wrote:

My understanding is the only "pay" that happens is a licensing fee that allows winners to use the JD Power name and logos in the winner's branding, coupled with fees for each physical trophy that is produced. Do you have actual information to the contrary that you'd be willing to share?

Interesting. You win... but you have to pay to say “we won” in any meaningful way.

The value of the award is the ability to use it in advertising/marketing to drive incremental revenue. So based on the info you provided it is pay to play — just not pay to participate; it’s pay to use the award.

It’s definitely a feel good acknowledgement to employees and certainly an award airlines should celebrate internally. However, do airlines believe JD Power rankings impact revenue? Does a higher score influence the purchase decision? Do airlines that pay the licensing fees do so for employee engagement or because they believe they will get incremental revenue that will offset the cost?

seabosdca

Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Yes, I have to say it's rather baffling that B6 and WN aren't in the full-service category. Both of them stopped acting like LCCs years ago. They shouldn't be evaluated against the likes of F9 and NK.

As a frequent Alaska flyer I'll echo the comments above that emphasize the quality of customer service. A very high proportion of AS crew and frontline ground personnel are really devoted to what they are doing and want to help customers. Some of the ex-VX crew haven't quite gotten there (most of them have). The frequent flyer plan is also excellent, although not considered in this survey; as a lowly MVP I get more perks than I would at a similar level under Delta's plan. Hard product is well-thought-out but clearly to a price. The network is great if you are in Seattle, Portland, or Alaska and not so great elsewhere, especially now that AA is the only domestic partner.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Thu May 30, 2019 8:42 pm

questions wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
milemaster wrote:

Interesting. You win... but you have to pay to say “we won” in any meaningful way.

The value of the award is the ability to use it in advertising/marketing to drive incremental revenue. So based on the info you provided it is pay to play — just not pay to participate; it’s pay to use the award.

It’s definitely a feel good acknowledgement to employees and certainly an award airlines should celebrate internally. However, do airlines believe JD Power rankings impact revenue? Does a higher score influence the purchase decision? Do airlines that pay the licensing fees do so for employee engagement or because they believe they will get incremental revenue that will offset the cost?

"Pay to Play" would imply that you're paying a fee to even be considered for the award, and that's not the case. From what I understand, you're evaluated in the survey regardless of whether or not you choose to pay JD Power a licensing fee to use their name when advertising your brand, and unless I'm mistaken, every ratings system worth their salt charges a fee to use their name. Zagat, Fodor's, AAA, etc. I'll gladly stand corrected if that's not the case, but from what I've read elsewhere, it's customary for a licensing fee to be paid by a winner to use the name of the survey company involved.

So saying it's "pay to play" is a really disingenuous statement.

And yes, my understanding is that internal analysis has shown there's a significant amount of revenue tied to being identified as a JD Power award recipient.

nine4nine

Thu May 30, 2019 8:49 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
questions wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

"Pay to Play" would imply that you're paying a fee to even be considered for the award, and that's not the case. From what I understand, you're evaluated in the survey regardless of whether or not you choose to pay JD Power a licensing fee to use their name when advertising your brand, and unless I'm mistaken, every ratings system worth their salt charges a fee to use their name. Zagat, Fodor's, AAA, etc. I'll gladly stand corrected if that's not the case, but from what I've read elsewhere, it's customary for a licensing fee to be paid by a winner to use the name of the survey company involved.

So saying it's "pay to play" is a really disingenuous statement.

And yes, my understanding is that internal analysis has shown there's a significant amount of revenue tied to being identified as a JD Power award recipient.

Actually the pay starts at $100,000.00 to participate in the JD Power polling surveys.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos