JammyBritton27
Topic Author

AA stock hits a 3-year low

Wed May 29, 2019 5:29 pm

AA stock has declined 9% of its value in the year-to-date period. This compares to a 10.5% gain registered by the Dow Jones Transportation Average and 9% increase by the NYSE Arca Airline Index during the same period.
AA's major concerns - 737 MAX grounding, labor crisis, competition from low-cost airlines and rising expenses, especially increased expenditure towards cybersecurity.

Source: https://news.alphastreet.com/american-a ... -year-low/

slcdeltarumd11

Re: AA stock hits a 3-year low

Wed May 29, 2019 5:40 pm

AA has a real problem. You can tell being on board. They want premium prices but offer the experience of a ULCC.

Fly on an Oasis plane and tell me it doesn't feel just like Spirit. The first class seats are WAY worse than the older big front seats on spirit and certainly no better then the newer ones. My last AA flight i couldn't see much better than spirit, frontier, or allegiant and i was trying. The oasis planes are a disaster.

Pudelhund

Wed May 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Even the new Spirit big front seat is the best domestic deal in aviation. The value proposition of the Big 3 domestic first class only makes sense if you fly enough to get upgraded for free.

kabq737

Wed May 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Things just don't look good at AA right now.

I think that it is time for a management shakeup. The merger is over and the airline is in need of an upper management team that knows how to create an identity and make money rather than merge over and over. Doug did his job but his time should be up.

I think that AA simply has a massive identity crisis. They seem to be running in millions of different directions without a key mission or identity. This leaves employees and passengers alike feeling lost and confused about what type of company AA is.

These problems are fixable but only if arrested soon before they grow too big to tackle.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

chepos

Wed May 29, 2019 6:22 pm

The company has a lot of potential, however, major changes need to happen. Leadership that can get everyone going in the same direction is of upmost priority at this point. Only then will there be some sort of cohesion and things will start to improve. I can only hope sooner rather than later some changes/shake up will happen for the sake of everyone with skin in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

compensateme

Wed May 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Great time to buy AAL...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Miamiairport

Wed May 29, 2019 7:20 pm

AA's financial and operational metrics are well behind it's competitors. They can't execute operationally worth a load of horse... It's why DL can do well with banked hubs and for AA it's a total disaster. My belief is that AA management has spent too much of it's effort on penny pinching and not enough building a DL kind of airline. Of course flight and ground crew get caught up in the idea the pax is some royal pain in the butt to be minimized at all costs.

In a way DL does play a bit of bait and switch. They put in shinny new AVOD while adding more seats to their a/c and give out better snacks. Maybe if the pax is engrossed in a library of movies they don't realize they are cramped to hell and well "I might as well fly one of those budget airlines."

par13del

Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 pm

chepos wrote:
Leadership that can get everyone going in the same direction...

I thought the current leadership is what the employees pushed for when they were in Chpt.11 and they pushed for the meger, have they fallen out already?

MIflyer12

Wed May 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
In a way DL does play a bit of bait and switch. They put in shinny new AVOD while adding more seats to their a/c and give out better snacks. Maybe if the pax is engrossed in a library of movies they don't realize they are cramped to hell and well "I might as well fly one of those budget airlines."

DL 738 = 160 total seats

AA Oasis 738, 172 total seats

DL 321, 192 total seats

AA Oasis 321, 196 total seats

It's not DL playing 'cramped to hell.' Go ahead and compare AA to AS and UA 738s, or to AS 321s.

nine4nine

Wed May 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Gotta get Doug Parker out of there. They guy is a schmuck. He has destroyed what AA built up to pre merger. They became a great airline with great service only to be turned into an ULCC in a tuxedo. As an ex multi year gold with AA, I haven’t stepped foot on AA metal for 4 years. I hope the board can force his exit before he plows AA into the ground.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

9w748capt

Wed May 29, 2019 7:59 pm

It's hilarious. LCC has invested (somewhat) in their premium product with Flagship lounges, FFD, etc. But somehow Dougie is too dumb to realize that the same people that fly AA's pathetic domestic offering will associate AA with being cheap and bland, and not premium, and that as a result, AA's brand reputation is trash. Did Dougie not go to business school?

Seabear

Wed May 29, 2019 8:31 pm

9w748capt wrote:
It's hilarious. LCC has invested (somewhat) in their premium product with Flagship lounges, FFD, etc. But somehow Dougie is too dumb to realize that the same people that fly AA's pathetic domestic offering will associate AA with being cheap and bland, and not premium, and that as a result, AA's brand reputation is trash. Did Dougie not go to business school?

Dougie's well aware that the average traveller chooses his/her flight based on price, price, price, price, and finally, price, in that order. And despite whatever indignities are heaped upon the great unwashed flying in steerage, they inevitably return for more if they can save a buck.

MAH4546

Wed May 29, 2019 8:33 pm

Doug destroyed the airline. They are at at a product level comparable to Spirit and Frontier, but pretend not to be, while both Spirit and Frontier offer superior customer service. Doug is a major part of the problem, but so are US Airways employees in general.
a.

SierraPacific

Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm

I flew EZE-DFW last week with a legacy AA crew in business class and it was a fantastic flight but then I stepped onto an LUS A321 from DFW-PHX in first and it was worse than anything from Frontier and Spirit. The domestic side of AA is absolute garbage and has been thoroughly destroyed by this management team to the point that I actively avoid AA domestically.

It will take a new batch of managers that have a new identity for the brand to turn the ship around.
Last edited by SierraPacific on Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seabear

Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Doug destroyed the airline. They are at at a product level comparable to Spirit and Frontier, but pretend not to be, while both Spirit and Frontier offer superior customer service. Doug is a major part of the problem, but so are US Airways employees in general.

You've apparently never flown NK or FL...

OB1504

Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 pm

Seabear wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

Dougie's well aware that the average traveller chooses his/her flight based on price, price, price, price, and finally, price, in that order. And despite whatever indignities are heaped upon the great unwashed flying in steerage, they inevitably return for more if they can save a buck.

And that’s fine if AA wants to be a (U)LCC, but you can’t offer a joke of a first class hard product like on the Oasis 737s and be shocked when you can’t command a revenue premium. The way their domestic product is going, they may as well drop F altogether and go to 28” pitch with nonreclining seats.

Seabear wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Have you? Spirit has undergone an amazing transformation since the new CEO took over. The new CEO, incidentally, also did away with the “Let him tell the world how bad we are, he’ll be back when we save him a penny” approach to customer service of his predecessor. Think about that for a minute. If the “Product and service doesn’t matter as long as we’re cheap” mantra stopped working for Spirit, why would AA expect it to work for them long term?

I’ve gotten better service in 29E on an NK A321 than I did in 3G on an AA 777.
Last edited by OB1504 on Wed May 29, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm

Seabear wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Spirit is known for being upfront about it's brand position while providing friendly and reliable on time service, as is Frontier to a lesser extent.

Spirit today is very different than the Spirit of ten years ago.
a.

rjmf22

Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Can all of this, or at least most of it, be traced back to poor management?
United Airlines

OB1504

Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 pm

rjmf22 wrote:

Yes. They made a pizza so cheap people don’t want to eat it.

TVNWZ

Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 pm

I fly a lot. I fly AA and DL. Not a big difference.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed May 29, 2019 9:59 pm

OB1504 wrote:
rjmf22 wrote:

Yes. They made a pizza so cheap people don’t want to eat it.

This is AAs problem. They are making Frozen pizza and trying to pretend it is still brick oven cooked fresh pizza. People realize after one taste this is frozen pizza and tastes just like i can make at home cheaper.

Brickell305

OB1504 wrote:
Seabear wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

And that’s fine if AA wants to be a (U)LCC, but you can’t offer a joke of a first class hard product like on the Oasis 737s and be shocked when you can’t command a revenue premium. The way their domestic product is going, they may as well drop F altogether and go to 28” pitch with nonreclining seats.

Seabear wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Have you? Spirit has undergone an amazing transformation since the new CEO took over. The new CEO, incidentally, also did away with the “Let him tell the world how bad we are, he’ll be back when we save him a penny” approach to customer service of his predecessor. Think about that for a minute. If the “Product and service doesn’t matter as long as we’re cheap” mantra stopped working for Spirit, why would AA expect it to work for them long term?

I’ve gotten better service in 29E on an NK A321 than I did in 3G on an AA 777.

Exactly. The LCCs and ULCCs have equal or better service than AA. Why would people pay more for worse service? The things that AA has that will still attract people are:

a) its FF program (which it continues to devalue)
b) its global network (but why stick to AA when foreign flag carriers and other US legacies offer better service and the FF program is now worthless?)

AA’s strategy and brand purpose are nonexistent. They are losing money on flying people. It’s time for a change. It’s time to recognize that not everything boils down to price and bottom of the barrel service. It’s time to realize that the same businessman that flies to London also flies domestically and on short haul international for work/vacation.

tphuang

I think AA is getting that it's current approach is not working, which is part of the reason OASIS is getting delayed. AA has a lot of good assets. It has plenty of time to turn around. It's premium product is good on the times I've flown with them. I think AAL is quite underpriced compared to some of the other airline stocks.

rjmf22

Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 pm

tphuang wrote:
I think AA is getting that it's current approach is not working, which is part of the reason OASIS is getting delayed. AA has a lot of good assets. It has plenty of time to turn around. It's premium product is good on the times I've flown with them. I think AAL is quite underpriced compared to some of the other airline stocks.

And yet, over three years, they have done little to change their approaches, which is evident in their stock values..
United Airlines

ABEguy

Wed May 29, 2019 10:22 pm

tphuang wrote:

The pause to the Oasis retro is probably due to the summer schedule, and needing those ac to fly rather than be down for service. Once summer ends they’ll be back on track.

Boof02671

Wed May 29, 2019 10:31 pm

JammyBritton27 wrote:
AA stock has declined 9% of its value in the year-to-date period. This compares to a 10.5% gain registered by the Dow Jones Transportation Average and 9% increase by the NYSE Arca Airline Index during the same period.
AA's major concerns - 737 MAX grounding, labor crisis, competition from low-cost airlines and rising expenses, especially increased expenditure towards cybersecurity.

Source: https://news.alphastreet.com/american-a ... -year-low/

And don’t forget they have bought back around $15 billion n stock over the past several years

WN732

Wed May 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Sounds like the stock is on sale.

N649DL

Wed May 29, 2019 10:56 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
I flew EZE-DFW last week with a legacy AA crew in business class and it was a fantastic flight but then I stepped onto an LUS A321 from DFW-PHX in first and it was worse than anything from Frontier and Spirit. The domestic side of AA is absolute garbage and has been thoroughly destroyed by this management team to the point that I actively avoid AA domestically.

It will take a new batch of managers that have a new identity for the brand to turn the ship around.

Most ex-US metal (aside the A330s) is horrible but the legacy AA metal with the new AVOD screens on the 321 and 738 are actually really nice. Let's hope "DUI Douggie" doesn't yank them out (they're reconsidering it, apparently.) I also enjoy the 738s with the overhead LCD screens that broadcast cabin announcements and whatnot so the F/A's don't have to do it.

Maybe they can bring back Horton? He was well-liked and is largely responsible as to why AA has such a massive Airbus fleet to do heavy phasing out of the S80 earlier this decade.

I don't think the sky is falling yet at AA and I've always had good experiences when I was forced to fly them for work over the last few years on occasion.

lowfareair

Wed May 29, 2019 11:40 pm

Seabear wrote:

Then how come DL has materially better RASM with a similar CASM?

Prost

Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 pm

American will figure it out pretty soon. There isn’t a lot of room for being in the middle in this marketplace anymore.

musman9853

Wed May 29, 2019 11:47 pm

as much as American's products are good, and the experience excellent, I do think it's time for doug to go.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

jagraham

Wed May 29, 2019 11:52 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

And yet, over three years, they have done little to change their approaches, which is evident in their stock values..

Until last year, the pilots and flight attendants were not joined, and AA was flying as 2 airlines with the same paint job. There were even some leftover US - HP issues. These are supposedly resolved now, although in other threads the mechanics say they are still split and upset. AA had their hands full integrating. With most of the integration behind them, AA should start playing catch up. I hope AA does that.

airlineaddict

Wed May 29, 2019 11:53 pm

The ultimate coup would be to bring Kirby back as CEO.

N649DL

Thu May 30, 2019 12:35 am

airlineaddict wrote:

I think Doug and Kirby got into it at a bar fight somewhere in the DFW-Area which led Kirby to get forced out (Kidding, but maybe?) Par for the course, but I can't imagine how many intoxicated fights ex-US upper management got into in the PHX-Area back in the day.

I doubt they'll take him back, plus I think Oscar likes having Kirby around at UAL these days.

9w748capt

Thu May 30, 2019 12:40 am

airlineaddict wrote:

Please, no. I'd almost rather be stuck with Dougie than bring Kirby back. Last thing we need is for AA's meals to get snacked again.

9w748capt

Thu May 30, 2019 12:41 am

lowfareair wrote:
Seabear wrote:

Then how come DL has materially better RASM with a similar CASM?

Exactly. It's not just their fortress hubs either. I don't buy that. It's not like AA doesn't have dominant positions at their hubs. That is the most telling thing for me - clearly DL feels that built-in IFE is worth it despite the cost. What do they know that Dougie doesn't?

9w748capt

Thu May 30, 2019 12:42 am

ABEguy wrote:
tphuang wrote:

The pause to the Oasis retro is probably due to the summer schedule, and needing those ac to fly rather than be down for service. Once summer ends they’ll be back on track.

That's what AA is saying publicly but if you believe some of the other tweets/posts out there, there's more to it.

Gulfstream500

Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
AA has a real problem. You can tell being on board. They want premium prices but offer the experience of a ULCC.

Fly on an Oasis plane and tell me it doesn't feel just like Spirit. The first class seats are WAY worse than the older big front seats on spirit and certainly no better then the newer ones. My last AA flight i couldn't see much better than spirit, frontier, or allegiant and i was trying. The oasis planes are a disaster.

Their roots are a ULCC (America West, remember). Basically, brand acquired, nothing changed.
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

chepos

AA stock hits a 3-year low

Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Their roots are a ULCC (America West, remember). Basically, brand acquired, nothing changed.

I’m not sure HP was considered an ULCC. Back during the days HP was around not even F9 nor NK were ULCC. In those days the ULCC model had not gained much traction in the US. Unless you are speaking figuratively.

And his roots go back to AMR, thats were he starter under the Crandall reign.

Last edited by chepos on Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Austin787

Thu May 30, 2019 2:13 am

airlineaddict wrote:

The way AA is heading, it's only a matter of time before the board shows Parker the door, but I have a feeling it will take an embarrassing incident for that to happen. But I don't think Kirby would be any better.

AA needs to find the next Richard Anderson to take over as CEO.

TripleA

Thu May 30, 2019 2:28 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

HP was not an ULCC carrier

rjmf22

Thu May 30, 2019 3:00 am

jagraham wrote:
rjmf22 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Until last year, the pilots and flight attendants were not joined, and AA was flying as 2 airlines with the same paint job. There were even some leftover US - HP issues. These are supposedly resolved now, although in other threads the mechanics say they are still split and upset. AA had their hands full integrating. With most of the integration behind them, AA should start playing catch up. I hope AA does that.

Agreed. It seems like they aren't quite operating as a whole yet, I guess the merger could have gone a lot smoother. They will definitely improve, but at a slow rate.
United Airlines

OB1504

Thu May 30, 2019 5:09 am

N649DL wrote:
Maybe they can bring back Horton? He was well-liked and is largely responsible as to why AA has such a massive Airbus fleet to do heavy phasing out of the S80 earlier this decade.

Absolutely not. As far as labor is concerned, he bankrupted the airline and opened the door to mass outsourcing. If you think labor relations are bad now, they would riot if Horton came back.

Scarebus34

Thu May 30, 2019 5:29 am

airlineaddict wrote:

Good luck. I’m pretty sure his current contract with UA wouldn’t allow that to happen. Plus, he’s United’s CEO in-waiting. He’s taking great pleasure in taking it to American...

janders

Thu May 30, 2019 6:05 am

Buy buy buy. Good opportunity to load up on more AA shares
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

Swadian

Thu May 30, 2019 6:33 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

DL 738 = 160 total seats

AA Oasis 738, 172 total seats

DL 321, 192 total seats

AA Oasis 321, 196 total seats

It's not DL playing 'cramped to hell.' Go ahead and compare AA to AS and UA 738s, or to AS 321s.

To be fair, AA Oasis A321 has 190 seats, whereas A321neo with ACF has 196 seats.
John Wang, Founder and President of Inland Streamliner.

LAX772LR

Thu May 30, 2019 7:48 am

Seabear wrote:

^ This!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Jouhou

Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 am

Austin787 wrote:
airlineaddict wrote:

The way AA is heading, it's only a matter of time before the board shows Parker the door, but I have a feeling it will take an embarrassing incident for that to happen. But I don't think Kirby would be any better.

AA needs to find the next Richard Anderson to take over as CEO.

Embarrassing incident? That's exactly what "Oasis" is.

spannacomo

Thu May 30, 2019 10:27 am

In july 2017 qatar airlines wanted to buy AA shares as they did with BA, LATAM and others, but doug parker opposed the plan. Shares had a value of 50+ USD at that time, now they are traded at 30- USD. That means there is a 10% shareholders who could have sold their shares at 20+ USD than they can now. If I were one of them I would be very angry.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-06/american-air-ceo-frightened-by-qatar-stake-plan-al-baker-says

9w748capt

Thu May 30, 2019 11:48 am

spannacomo wrote:
In july 2017 qatar airlines wanted to buy AA shares as they did with BA, LATAM and others, but doug parker opposed the plan. Shares had a value of 50+ USD at that time, now they are traded at 30- USD. That means there is a 10% shareholders who could have sold their shares at 20+ USD than they can now. If I were one of them I would be very angry.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-06/american-air-ceo-frightened-by-qatar-stake-plan-al-baker-says

Um...so if the stock price is $20 less than what QR would've paid, how would that have benefited QR? Above you say "20+ USD than they can now." What does that mean?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos