berari
Topic Author

ET901 ADD to LOS making a touch and go due to bad weather

Wed May 29, 2019 11:08 pm

An Ethiopian Airlines flight from Addis Ababa to Lagos, Nigeria did a touch and go around as a result of inclement weather and the drama that ensued is dramatic, to say the least. The flight, operated using a B777-300 had ex-Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo on board. Newspapers in Nigeria had their own interpretations, and descriptions of what transpired. Here's one:

Rather than landing on the first touch-line of the runway, the pilot over short it, due to rain and heavy wind, landing on the third touch-line.

NAN reports that, on realising this, the pilot quickly manouvered the plane back air, flying out of the Lagos airport.

The atmosphere in the aircraft upon landing was replica of what is obtainable in some Nigerian worship centers, as many passengers broke out into worship songs and clapping, while some fell to their knees in prayer.

Link: http://saharareporters.com/2019/05/29/b ... n-airlines
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu May 30, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

ikramerica

Re: An Ethiopian Airlines flight did a go around, and this is what happened

Wed May 29, 2019 11:14 pm

For a go around? We had this happen on a 757 into LGA. Pilot apologized because it would cause a delay but he didn’t want to park in the water.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

kjeld0d

Thu May 30, 2019 12:11 am

berari wrote:
many passengers broke out into worship songs and clapping, while some fell to their knees in prayer.

ikramerica wrote:
We had this happen on a 757 into LGA.

Really?? Which did you do?

ikramerica

Thu May 30, 2019 1:16 am

kjeld0d wrote:
berari wrote:
many passengers broke out into worship songs and clapping, while some fell to their knees in prayer.

ikramerica wrote:
We had this happen on a 757 into LGA.

Really?? Which did you do?

I think the clapping. But it was New York. So it was sarcastic clapping.

itripreport

Thu May 30, 2019 3:08 am

Last time I had a go around was about a year ago into San Diego , no pilot announcement or anything, we just went around and landed again as if it was a routine landing. Some people during debarring called it "intense" but that was about it.

ikramerica

Thu May 30, 2019 3:18 am

itripreport wrote:
Last time I had a go around was about a year ago into San Diego , no pilot announcement or anything, we just went around and landed again as if it was a routine landing. Some people during debarring called it "intense" but that was about it.

Was it a touch and go? I had one into MCO where we were barely off the ground and did a go around. Pilot said a GA failed to hold and was heading to a runway crossing.

But the LGA was a true gear on the ground situation. Winds had us floating and touchdown was long so we went up and around.

We had one more as s kid on an AE prop in texas. Even that pilot told us about it.

I’m surprised your pilot said nothing. Seems like bad form on their part.

timpdx

Thu May 30, 2019 4:21 am

Heck, I've been on an FR that took 4 attempts to land at CCF (Carcassonne) even videoed it and said "4th time is a charm"

Fun times.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

TTailedTiger

Thu May 30, 2019 4:34 am

I've had four go arounds on commercial aircraft in my life. All uneventful.

MEM-ATL MD-88: Windshear alert a few moments before landing. Diverted to AGS.

ATL-MCO 757-200: Passenger was in the restroom and said we couldn't land until they were seated.

ATL-JAX 757-200: Windshear alert moments before landing. Held for about 30 minutes and landed without incident.

DCA-CVG MD-88: Pilot said we got too close to aircraft landing on parallel runway.

737max8

Thu May 30, 2019 5:07 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

ATL-MCO 757-200: Passenger was in the restroom and said we couldn't land until they were seated.

ATL-JAX 757-200: Windshear alert moments before landing. Held for about 30 minutes and landed without incident.

DCA-CVG MD-88: Pilot said we got too close to aircraft landing on parallel runway.

2. Pretty sure you can land with someone in the lav.

It's interesting how people can fly their whole lives without one and you've have 4 and I've had 3 at Love Field alone in the last 5 years.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

cedarjet

Thu May 30, 2019 5:54 am

I had three in a year: Air Southwest Dash 8 in Plymouth, Saha Air 707 in Tehran, American Airlines 777 at Heathrow
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

outbackair

Thu May 30, 2019 6:14 am

Here in Western Australia it's generally referred to in the media as a near death experience and they find passengers to interview who thought they were going to die.

spacecadet

Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 am

A "touch and go around" is a little more serious than a standard go-around. If you're already on the ground and realize you can't salvage the landing, that means you're pretty close to not having a successful outcome.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

scbriml

Thu May 30, 2019 6:37 am

It's great when the ensuing drama is dramatic.

Luckily, like the ex-President, I've also managed to "escape a crash" every single time I've flown.

But, I'm not surprised passengers were panicking when the plane started hovering.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

SAAFNAV

Thu May 30, 2019 6:59 am

I thought I opened A.net, but then I saw a Buzzfeed title instead.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

qf2220

Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 am

If I can share my go arounds:

1. BWI-ORD, it was snowing, there was a storm and we were told when we landed at the 2nd attempt we were lucky as otherwise we were off to Peoria if we didn't make it then....

2. SCL-SYD, and this is my fav. Chile is not known for punctuality but in this case, in some extreme miracle situation, the pilots were 30 mins early into SYD after the stopover in AKL (on the 343s when they used to do it). It was about 7am, flaps were out, gear was down and we were on approach, and everything looked good for quite an early arrival. However, about half way across Botany Bay (we were coming in from the south), it all went back in again and the go around power was applied, we went around. SYD airport wasn't ready for us. We did the go around and we were still 10-15 mins early, however the crew was deprived of the ability to say they got in early and defied the Chilean stereotype! I felt for them a little bit to be honest!

Jouhou

Thu May 30, 2019 7:17 am

737max8 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

2. Pretty sure you can land with someone in the lav.

It's interesting how people can fly their whole lives without one and you've have 4 and I've had 3 at Love Field alone in the last 5 years.

Might have to do with what the typical weather is like and the length of the runway(s) is at their home airports.

SoCalPilot

Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 am

spacecadet wrote:
A "touch and go around" is a little more serious than a standard go-around. If you're already on the ground and realize you can't salvage the landing, that means you're pretty close to not having a successful outcome.

That's quite a dramatic statement.

I'd much rather do a touch-and-go than have to go missed at minimums in IMC.

Lilienthal

Thu May 30, 2019 9:07 am

Chances are these Ethiopian passengers fly very rarely, if ever. So a touch and go in bad weather can understandably be a stressful experience.

So we might cut them some slack and not use their misfortune to boast about our own self-perceived toughness and bravery... oh wait... it‘s to late for that.

VSMUT

Thu May 30, 2019 9:49 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

These perplex me. Weird reasons for doing a go-around.

spacecadet wrote:

Not really. It is pretty basic knowledge that a go-around at minimums on a CAT II approach will result in the aircraft hitting the runway.

tistpaa727

Thu May 30, 2019 10:46 am

SAAFNAV wrote:
I thought I opened A.net, but then I saw a Buzzfeed title instead.

:checkmark:
Don't sweat the little things.

767Forever

Thu May 30, 2019 10:52 am

I experienced a Go Around on a KLM flight from AMS to IST on a 737-800 oh around 10 years ago.

It was a sunny day with no clouds and no wind. The pilots abandoned touchdown in the last minute and decided to do a go around.

Funny part was when the pilot came up on PA to make the announcement. Using his stereotypical Dutch humor, he said something to the effect of:

"As you can see you are doing a go around. There is nothing to worry about. Since go arounds are NEVER the fault of the pilots, the problem here was that, hmm, the runway moved. that's right, in the last second, runway moved out of alignment, so we decided to wait for it to settle before trying again."

The pilot lifted the mood inside the 737 with that announcement.

iadadd

Thu May 30, 2019 11:21 am

I was under the impression that go-around landings, although not common, weren't something shocking enough to make news articles. In particular, Lagos is a tropical city which likely experiences heavy storms on a frequent basis, that could ultimately result in an aborted landing if the Captain assumes conditions not to be the safest

On another hand, if weather conditions in Lagos were that bad, shouldn't the ATC not given the plane clearance to land in the first place ?

sccutler

Thu May 30, 2019 1:18 pm

iadadd wrote:
I was under the impression that go-around landings, although not common, weren't something shocking enough to make news articles. In particular, Lagos is a tropical city which likely experiences heavy storms on a frequent basis, that could ultimately result in an aborted landing if the Captain assumes conditions not to be the safest

On another hand, if weather conditions in Lagos were that bad, shouldn't the ATC not given the plane clearance to land in the first place ?

It is not ATC's job - nor have they the authority - to choose for the pilots whether they can land or not. The clearance to land simply means that the runway and the airspace to get to it (as well as the airspace required in the event of a go-around) are available.

It's "Pilot in Command," not "Controller in Command."
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

DL747400

Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Hship wrote:
Was all the melodrama really necessary?

"This is what happened..."
What is the "this" that happened?
The plane landed safely and someone desperate for clicks created a thread.

Isn't this the Nigerian press? If so, I think we have our answer.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

DALMD80

Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm

qf2220 wrote:

1. BWI-ORD, it was snowing, there was a storm and we were told when we landed at the 2nd attempt we were lucky as otherwise we were off to Peoria if we didn't make it then....

2. SCL-SYD, and this is my fav. Chile is not known for punctuality but in this case, in some extreme miracle situation, the pilots were 30 mins early into SYD after the stopover in AKL (on the 343s when they used to do it). It was about 7am, flaps were out, gear was down and we were on approach, and everything looked good for quite an early arrival. However, about half way across Botany Bay (we were coming in from the south), it all went back in again and the go around power was applied, we went around. SYD airport wasn't ready for us. We did the go around and we were still 10-15 mins early, however the crew was deprived of the ability to say they got in early and defied the Chilean stereotype! I felt for them a little bit to be honest!

What airline was BWI-ORD?
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

LU9092

Thu May 30, 2019 1:44 pm

I've had two go-arounds. One was an F9 A320 at LGA attempting to land on runway 4 during a snow storm. Never saw the ground from my seat on that one, I assume we reach minimums and runway not in sight. Went around and landed on the second try. Pilots never said a thing. The other one was funny. I was on a Jet Blue E170 into SJU, and we went around from what I estimate to be about 2500 feet. I'm not sure we were even lined up with the runway yet. Pilot came on immediately and said, dripping with sarcasm, something like, "Sorry folks, apparently ATC down here in San Juan is extreeeeeemly busy and they weren't ready for us. We're going to circle around and let them get sorted out."

usflyer msp

Thu May 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Nigerian media is notoriously sensationalistic so take all articles with a grain of salt.

scbriml

Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Nigerian media is notoriously sensationalistic so take all articles with a grain of salt.

Aside from the clickbait thread title, the actual article reads like a bad Google translation.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

kordcj

Thu May 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Had a go around a just last month. SkyWest pilots were about to land on 26R vs 26L at ELP. ATC could be heard telling them to go around when I listened to the LiveATC file. The pilots never came on and said what the reason for the go around was. They were so embarrassed (rightfully so), they kept the door closed during the whole deplaning process.
Other go arounds, United 737-800 into MCO, pilots weren’t stable on approach.
SkyWest CRJ-700 into ELP, ATC vectored pilots incorrectly
Trans States ERJ-145 into DEN, aircraft ahead was still on the runway
Southwest 737-300 into ELP, pilots were too high and too fast, they still went for it right until the last moment. Only flight I’ve ever been on where flaps went from 0 to full in one go. Felt like I was flying in flight simulator lol.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

CFM565A1

Thu May 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Terrible article laced with mistranslations, carry on!
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

usflyer msp

Thu May 30, 2019 2:42 pm

CFM565A1 wrote:

Those are not mistranstations. That is Nigerian pidgin English - the national lingua Franca.

ozark1

Thu May 30, 2019 3:14 pm

AA 727-223 from TPA to MIA in winter of 93. Clear weather, hard enough of a touchdown to drop several rows of O2 masks, big bounce and then takeoff power. I don't remember the cockpits announcements, but it was the one go around that sticks out in my memory. I've had very few.

ikramerica

Thu May 30, 2019 3:35 pm

767Forever wrote:
I experienced a Go Around on a KLM flight from AMS to IST on a 737-800 oh around 10 years ago.

It was a sunny day with no clouds and no wind. The pilots abandoned touchdown in the last minute and decided to do a go around.

Funny part was when the pilot came up on PA to make the announcement. Using his stereotypical Dutch humor, he said something to the effect of:

"As you can see you are doing a go around. There is nothing to worry about. Since go arounds are NEVER the fault of the pilots, the problem here was that, hmm, the runway moved. that's right, in the last second, runway moved out of alignment, so we decided to wait for it to settle before trying again."

The pilot lifted the mood inside the 737 with that announcement.

Humor always helps. In the LGA instance, anyone from new york knows that ending up in the river is not out of the realm. So the pilot joking that he didn’t want to park there lightened the mood.

trent768

Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Well, some people or even country judge the quality of an airline by the smoothness of the flight or landing. I've heard some people don't wanna fly GA anymore because the flight "is bumpy and I've never experienced it with EK. Maybe because the plane is too small". Mind you that they were flying on a 77W to AMS and they don't believe me that it was the same plane as EK because GA have 9 abreast while EK have 10 lol

CFM565A1

Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
CFM565A1 wrote:

Those are not mistranstations. That is Nigerian pidgin English - the national lingua Franca.

Things like the “pilot over SHORT it” are correct? Jeez I’ve been saying it wrong then! :D
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

usflyer msp

Thu May 30, 2019 4:35 pm

CFM565A1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
CFM565A1 wrote:

Things like the “pilot over SHORT it” are correct? Jeez I’ve been saying it wrong then! :D

It is still not a mistranslation - Nigeria is English speaking. Just poor proofreading.

MalevTU134

Thu May 30, 2019 4:45 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
CFM565A1 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

It is still not a mistranslation - Nigeria is English speaking. Just poor proofreading.

You underestimate the diversity of English around the globe. Pidgin English is lingua franca in parts of West Africa, Nigeria included. If you think this article was "wrong", have a look at this one, from the BBC's (nor known for sloppy proofreading) Pidgin website.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... i-41171196

TTailedTiger

Thu May 30, 2019 5:18 pm

VSMUT wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

These perplex me. Weird reasons for doing a go-around.

I'm not sure why it would be weird. They won't taxi or takeoff if someone is up out of their seat so why would they land?

As for DCA-CVG, if separation is compromised then what else are you going to do?

SEA

Thu May 30, 2019 5:34 pm

737max8 wrote:

I went forever without having any then in 2017 I had four go arounds at SEA. Had several in DEN, all due to wind shear warning.

spinkid

Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
Chances are these Ethiopian passengers fly very rarely, if ever. So a touch and go in bad weather can understandably be a stressful experience.

So we might cut them some slack and not use their misfortune to boast about our own self-perceived toughness and bravery... oh wait... it‘s to late for that.

In your attempt to correct others, you broad statement on Ethiopians who rarely fly seems like a pretty colonial point of view as if to say "the savages were easily frightened as they believed the aircraft was indeed a magic steel bird dropped from the heavens"

Also, if you read the article you would see many of the passengers were Nigerian officials past and present.

This thread seems to be very educational on a number of fronts. Hopefully a few readers left with a better understanding of language in West Africa. As a teacher in the U.S. I'm not surprised people were unaware that English is the official language. We don't teach nearly enough Culture/History/Geography of our own country, let alone others.

We also learned the difference between a "go around" and a" touch and go". I've experienced one go around in my life which was memorable, but I've got a strong feeling if we touched the runway, it would have been even more memorable

Despite our corrections and differences we all come to A.net to learn :)

Lilienthal

Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 pm

spinkid wrote:
you broad statement on Ethiopians who rarely fly seems like a pretty colonial point of view as if to say "the savages were easily frightened as they believed the aircraft was indeed a magic steel bird dropped from the heavens"

Lol.. nice try... Transportation in Ethiopia is mainly done on cars busses and trains. It is simple logic to assume that the vast majority of Ethiopians have little experience with flying on airplanes. Especially when compared to the US for example. But feel free to prove me wrong.

spinkid wrote:
This thread seems to be very educational on a number of fronts. Hopefully a few readers left with a better understanding of language in West Africa. As a teacher in the U.S. I'm not surprised people were unaware that English is the official language. We don't teach nearly enough Culture/History/Geography of our own country, let alone others.

We also learned the difference between a "go around" and a" touch and go". I've experienced one go around in my life which was memorable, but I've got a strong feeling if we touched the runway, it would have been even more memorable

Despite our corrections and differences we all come to A.net to learn :)

Jeez, you really lay it on thick... Since large parts of this thread just consist of people listing their go around experiences, I can't really share you enthusiasm. But hey... whatever floats your boat.

Fatbus

Re: ET901 ADD to LOS making a touch and go due to bad weather

Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 pm

inadvertent touch down is possible in a low level GA ie LVO ops or a balked landing due to a number of reasons .

eastafspot

Thu May 30, 2019 10:28 pm

Very entertaining thread to read & follow - glad this news was posted here :smile:

usflyer msp wrote:
CFM565A1 wrote:

Best answer so far here!
I was not sure this part appeared true or not before (back when I used to frequent the Nigerian community in the UK). So thanks for clarifying!

No touch & go or go around till now. Hope it stays like that otherwise, the attitude would probably be the same as some of these pax :pray:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot

Thu May 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Very entertaining thread to read & follow - glad this news was posted here :smile:

usflyer msp wrote:
CFM565A1 wrote:

Best answer so far here!
I was not sure this part appeared true or not before (back when I used to frequent the Nigerian community in the UK). So thanks for clarifying!

No touch & go or go around till now. Just hope it stays like that, otherwise, the attitude would probably be the same as some of these pax :pray:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

qf2220

Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 am

DALMD80 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

What airline was BWI-ORD?

It was AA (Eagle). I just checked my log and it was actually Harrisburg (MDT), not BWI too.

seabosdca

Re: ET901 ADD to LOS making a touch and go due to bad weather

Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 am

I've never understood why people find go-arounds scary. Annoying, sure, but climbing away from the big thing you crash into is a relief!

I've had a few where I can't even remember the route they seemed so uneventful, but one does stand out. Sometime around 2007 I flew on a MQ E145 from DCA-BOS. Approaching Boston, a pilot said: "We're going to try to get on the ground before those thunderstorms get there." Looking out the left side of the aircraft, there was a dramatic thunderstorm not far away at all. On final, I was able to watch it engulf the airport. We were at maybe 500', and as soon as it touched the runway, the engines immediately spooled up and off we went, on quite the roller-coaster ride. After circling for 30 minutes, the same pilot announced our diversion to PVD.

zeke

Fri May 31, 2019 6:04 am

spacecadet wrote:

It would not have been a touch and go, it is called a rejected landing.

A touch and go is a different manoeuvre where the flaps are repositioned to takeoff configuration and the trim is reset. Also needs nose-wheel derotation.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 31, 2019 6:36 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
You underestimate the diversity of English around the globe. Pidgin English is lingua franca in parts of West Africa, Nigeria included. If you think this article was "wrong", have a look at this one, from the BBC's (nor known for sloppy proofreading) Pidgin website.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... i-41171196

Weird news.

Anyway, you missed linking the pidgin article about this incident from the BBC. "Obasanjo: 'I no involve for any plane accident'" https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-48450876
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos