Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fargo
Topic Author

Will BNA become an official operating base for WN?

Thu May 30, 2019 10:10 pm

With WN approaching 150 flights, will they make it an official operating base? Right now, it is simply a focus city.

Also, just how big will WN get at BNA in the future, could it plausibly see 200+ flights one day when they get the gate space?

MIflyer12

Re: Will BNA become an official operating base for WN?

Thu May 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Fargo wrote:

Also, just how big will WN get at BNA in the future, could it plausibly see 200+ flights one day when they get the gate space?

Do you think they want to hub-and-spoke BNA? The O&D market isn't anywhere near the size of other ~200 flights/day WN ops: MDW (243), DAL (195) or HOU (171). The city fact sheets show BNA at 138 flights.

dcaproducer

Thu May 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Where are you getting 150 flights? They aren’t even in the top 10.
Source: https://www.swamedia.com/pages/corporat ... heet#top10

Fargo
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 12:29 am

dcaproducer wrote:

That is only the operating bases (i.e, "hub" and where they have a crew base, maybe someone could explain it better?)

BNA is around 135-140 flights last I heard. WN will be gaining new gates in the next decade and it would not surprise me if they gained all of C and D at BNA, giving them around 25 gates. With Nashville's strong economy, WN could make some noise there.

ctrabs0114

Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 am

Fargo wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

That is only the operating bases (i.e, "hub" and where they have a crew base, maybe someone could explain it better?)

BNA is around 135-140 flights last I heard. WN will be gaining new gates in the next decade and it would not surprise me if they gained all of C and D at BNA, giving them around 25 gates. With Nashville's strong economy, WN could make some noise there.

Per WN's BNA fact sheet (instead of opening a new browser window, they seem to download as a file; here's the link to each WN city's fact sheet):

"As of May 14, 2019, Southwest will offer up to 138 departures a day to 46 cities..."

The top 10 destinations list you cited is as of February while the fact sheets are current as of two weeks ago.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

southwest1675

Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 am

dcaproducer wrote:

Last I saw, they were ranked ninth.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ctrabs0114

Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 am

southwest1675 wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Last I saw, they were ranked ninth.

Not for nothing, but Wikipedia (yes, I know, take it with a grain of salt) has BNA eighth ahead of LAX (132 flights/32 cities). I'd prefer if the fact sheet reflection the top 10 stations were updated, but this does support the OP's claim that BNA is "approaching 150 daily flights" (emphasis mine).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)

ctrabs0114

Fri May 31, 2019 1:27 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Do you think they want to hub-and-spoke BNA? The O&D market isn't anywhere near the size of other ~200 flights/day WN ops: MDW (243), DAL (195) or HOU (171). The city fact sheets show BNA at 138 flights.

LAX is at 132 daily flights, while ATL shows 123 daily flights. I would argue that both stations, more so LAX than ATL, could be considered "hub-and-spoke" (or, Intentional Connection Opportunity stations, using WN's parlance), though not to the extent of MDW, DAL, and HOU (or, for that matter, BWI and DEN, as well). You could make a reasonable argument that there is some "hub-and-spoke" taking place at BNA now, though there's no service to "spoke" stations served by BWI or ATL ... yet.

pmanni1

Fri May 31, 2019 1:42 am

dcaproducer wrote:

This top 10 list does not match up with any of the city fact sheets. City fact sheets would indicate BNA and STL in between LAX and HOU.

tphuang

Fri May 31, 2019 1:52 am

It's quite clear BNA is turning into their Southeast hub. You don't offer flights to ECP/PNS without a lot of connection. It will get a lot charger for WN. You don't add a route like BNA-ATL that is sure to loose a lot of money without the intention to build BNA to be much larger than what it is now.

And frankly, they don't have any alternatives in south east. So I see BNA along with DEN as their biggest growth stations in the next few years.

And Nashville is real growing city. There is a lot of potential there for a lot more O&D in the future. Here is the important part, most of their other big cities, they are facing major legacy competition in different airport. That won't be a problem at BNA. Sometimes in the future, their biggest competition would be on those connection itineraries from Northeast and midwest to Florida and rest of south east.

southwest1675

Fri May 31, 2019 2:11 am

From someone who is willing to admit they’re a WN employee on here, I can say BNA will be to the likes of 200 daily departures at some point. Southwest is interested in Nashville’s ridiculous boom, and BNA’s improvements. They’ll acquire a new 6 gate concourse next summer, bringing them to a total of 20 gates. When BNA expands even further, expect AA to move out of Concourse C so Southwest can get their old gates. WN as a whole is having some growing pains currently, so how soon the BNA expansion occurs is still somewhat unknown.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

jplatts

Fri May 31, 2019 3:11 am

While most of the major domestic destinations in the contiguous U.S. are already served nonstop from BNA on WN, there are still some more nonstop routes such as BNA-ALB, BNA-ABQ, BNA-CVG, BNA-GRR, BNA-GSP, BNA-BDL, BNA-IND, BNA-LIT, BNA-MEM, BNA-ONT, BNA-SNA, BNA-PDX, BNA-PVD, BNA-RIC, BNA-ROC, BNA-SLC, BNA-SFO, BNA-IAD, and BNA-PBI that could still be added by WN out of BNA.

Jshank83

Fri May 31, 2019 3:23 am

^you forgot BNA-BNA

jplatts

Fri May 31, 2019 3:30 am

southwest1675 wrote:
From someone who is willing to admit they’re a WN employee on here, I can say BNA will be to the likes of 200 daily departures at some point. Southwest is interested in Nashville’s ridiculous boom, and BNA’s improvements. They’ll acquire a new 6 gate concourse next summer, bringing them to a total of 20 gates. When BNA expands even further, expect AA to move out of Concourse C so Southwest can get their old gates. WN as a whole is having some growing pains currently, so how soon the BNA expansion occurs is still somewhat unknown.

While I do not see WN expanding BNA to 200 daily departures anytime soon, I think that WN will likely increase BNA to 160 to 180 daily departures during the next few years.

mwmav8r01

Fri May 31, 2019 3:42 am

jplatts wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

While I do not see WN expanding BNA to 200 daily departures anytime soon, I think that WN will likely increase BNA to 160 to 180 daily departures during the next few years.

STL has more open gates. Easily could be a 180 flts per day too. STL has a lot of cities BNA doesnt and vice versa. STL is midwest and west where as BNA is SE. Interested in where things go.

SierraPacific

Fri May 31, 2019 4:12 am

I would be shocked if in 5 years ATL is still a crew base and BNA is not. Nashville is booming with more wealthy people moving there every day and could easily be WN's southeast hub (or whatever Southwest calls hubs).

Busyboy2

Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 am

mwmav8r01 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

STL has more open gates. Easily could be a 180 flts per day too. STL has a lot of cities BNA doesnt and vice versa. STL is midwest and west where as BNA is SE. Interested in where things go.

That's right. STL will continue to grow and take the pressure off Midway. There's just more space there. Plus longer runways for heavy -800's to go the distance.

tphuang

Fri May 31, 2019 12:37 pm

STL's role is not unique within WN network. BNA's role is unique. I'd bet at this point STL is a more profitable focus city for WN, but WN is willing to devote more resource to BNA. Given how quickly WN can add flight, I would not be surprised if they reach 170 to 180 range by 2021.

MIflyer12

Fri May 31, 2019 1:17 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's quite clear BNA is turning into their Southeast hub. You don't offer flights to ECP/PNS without a lot of connection. It will get a lot charger for WN. You don't add a route like BNA-ATL that is sure to loose a lot of money without the intention to build BNA to be much larger than what it is now.

If they're adding ATL-BNA with the expectation that ATL flyers are going to connect they can just start burning bales of money. DL slays WN in destination count and frequency at ATL. ATL flyers in significant numbers aren't going to mess with a BNA connection.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Fri May 31, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIflyer12

Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 pm

jplatts wrote:
While most of the major domestic destinations in the contiguous U.S. are already served nonstop from BNA on WN, there are still some more nonstop routes such as BNA-ALB, BNA-ABQ, BNA-CVG, BNA-GRR, BNA-GSP, BNA-BDL, BNA-IND, BNA-LIT, BNA-MEM, BNA-ONT, BNA-SNA, BNA-PDX, BNA-PVD, BNA-RIC, BNA-ROC, BNA-SLC, BNA-SFO, BNA-IAD, and BNA-PBI that could still be added by WN out of BNA.

That list just makes me laugh out loud. Check the PDEWs on those airport pairs. BNA-ALB or GSP with nothing smaller than a 737-700? Ridiculous.

EvanWSFO

Fri May 31, 2019 1:53 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If they're adding ATL-BNA with the expectation that ATL flyers are going to connect they can just start burning bales of money. DL slays WN in destination count and frequency at ATL. ATL flyers in significant numbers aren't going to mess with a BNA connection.

WN has been flying BNA-ATL for quite some time.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Cubsrule

Fri May 31, 2019 2:00 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

WN has been flying BNA-ATL for quite some time.

WN has been flying BNA-ATL for less than a year. It's a similar model to all sorts of other stuff that they fly with a decent local market and connections on both ends. LAX-PHX is a good analog in another part of the country.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

RDUDDJI

Fri May 31, 2019 2:20 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Much of WN's base (and pretty much anyone's base) is willing to make a connection to save $. This is why airlines have hubs.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Cubsrule

Fri May 31, 2019 3:03 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

That list just makes me laugh out loud. Check the PDEWs on those airport pairs. BNA-ALB or GSP with nothing smaller than a 737-700? Ridiculous.

Isn't BNA-GSP, which has some local market, less ridiculous than ATL-GSP, which has essentially zero?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

EvanWSFO

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:16 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Just curious, but do you ever have anything positive to say about anything? Every thread I see your name in, you are dissing something.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Bluegrass60

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:51 pm

tphuang wrote:

And frankly, they don't have any alternatives in south east. So I see BNA along with DEN as their biggest growth stations in the next few years.

And Nashville is real growing city. There is a lot of potential there for a lot more O&D in the future. Here is the important part, most of their other big cities, they are facing major legacy competition in different airport. That won't be a problem at BNA. Sometimes in the future, their biggest competition would be on those connection itineraries from Northeast and midwest to Florida and rest of south east.

" there are other cities in the Southeast that WN could choose to build up....MEM, BHM, SDF, RDU, GSO. Nashville is experiencing rapid growth no doubt....but infrastructure is straining. Between ATL and BNA are 260+ departures. DL AA and UA all provide competition to WN at BNA. WN is probably more worried about competition from ULCC's at BNA....simply because O&D while growing....is far less than BWI, MDW or ATL. WN focus at BNA is growing along with BNA...and CX PAX....

pmanni1

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

" there are other cities in the Southeast that WN could choose to build up....MEM, BHM, SDF, RDU, GSO. Nashville is experiencing rapid growth no doubt....but infrastructure is straining. Between ATL and BNA are 260+ departures. DL AA and UA all provide competition to WN at BNA. WN is probably more worried about competition from ULCC's at BNA....simply because O&D while growing....is far less than BWI, MDW or ATL. WN focus at BNA is growing along with BNA...and CX PAX....

MEM,BHM,GSO don't have booming economies or the O&D to ever grow much. Years can go by and WN doesn't add anything to these cities.

rph99

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:25 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
dcaproducer wrote:

Per WN's BNA fact sheet (instead of opening a new browser window, they seem to download as a file; here's the link to each WN city's fact sheet):

If the city fact sheet is accurate that would make DEN their second busiest hub by daily departures (220). With Chicago still the busiest.

I landed in DEN around midnight last night and when waiting for a train to baggage claim...I had to watch 2 full trains from C stop and go without anyone getting on at B because they were too full. SW certainly keeping it busy at DEN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos