Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bradin
Topic Author

Boeing YouTube: "Airbus, We're Glad You're Here"

Thu May 30, 2019 10:48 pm

A very nice and respectful video from Boeing honoring Airbus on its 50th anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j3ob0CfH9I

Aurantiaco

Re: Boeing YouTube: "Airbus, We're Glad You're Here"

Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 pm

Quite wholesome! It’s like the Christmas Truce, since these two companies have battled it out harshly over the years.

zeke

Fri May 31, 2019 12:01 am

Very classy, well done Boeing

TheFlyingDisk

Fri May 31, 2019 12:35 am

Airbus did a video congratulating Boeing for its centennial. It would be remiss for Boeing not to do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWaTjYpczKQ

IslandRob

Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 am

After watching that, I feel all warm and tingly.

I'll echo the sentiments: Congratulations, Airbus. Please do stick around. -ir

Aurantiaco

Fri May 31, 2019 1:27 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Airbus did a video congratulating Boeing for its centennial. It would be remiss for Boeing not to do the same.

See? Kindness gets kindness back in return.

flipdewaf

Fri May 31, 2019 6:16 am

Very nice! I don’t think it’s entirely surprising, it’s only on the internet where we have a sports team tribal mentality about corporations. I’m sure if any of the employees from either side were to meet with the others they would get on absolutely fine.

Still, good to show it publicly.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungDon

Fri May 31, 2019 6:23 am

Love it. Extremely classy. Happy birthday Airbus!

Matt6461

Fri May 31, 2019 7:22 am

Total BS. The only voices that matter within Boeing at this strategic level are shareholder voices (more precisely, management anticipation of shareholder voices), who all wish Boeing had a secure monopoly.

As an aviation fan, let's all celebrate Airbus and castigate Airbus for instigating the most-recent round of duopoly consolidation (RIP Bombardier and Embraer). And let us never forget that the decisions this forum lives on are not made by AvGeeks with cute grudges about designs, but by ruthless investors who would like nothing more than to see air travel constricted or abolished if it served their interests.

LSZH34

Fri May 31, 2019 7:30 am

Matt6461 wrote:
Total BS. The only voices that matter within Boeing at this strategic level are shareholder voices (more precisely, management anticipation of shareholder voices), who all wish Boeing had a secure monopoly.

As an aviation fan, let's all celebrate Airbus and castigate Airbus for instigating the most-recent round of duopoly consolidation (RIP Bombardier and Embraer). And let us never forget that the decisions this forum lives on are not made by AvGeeks with cute grudges about designs, but by ruthless investors who would like nothing more than to see air travel constricted or abolished if it served their interests.

Yeah the video is cringy, but more so is your negativity.

Matt6461

Fri May 31, 2019 7:35 am

LSZH34 wrote:
Matt6461 wrote:

Yeah the video is cringy, but more so is your negativity.

I'd love to believe in a world in which the salient facts relate to aesthetics more than fiscal models.
Do you think that's the world we live in?
I'm not even saying that the prevailing fiscal models are correct; if they were I'd have no living.
I'm just suggesting that this Airbus-Boeing cosplay should be treated with the skepticism appropriate to duopoly.
Which is A LOT OF SKEPTICISM.

RalXWB

Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 am

The most funny part was: Im sorry to hear that your plane was delayed. Nicely done video though.

paullam

Fri May 31, 2019 9:03 am

Aurantiaco wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Some posters on this forum could really learn something from that video... :duck:

SCFlyer

Fri May 31, 2019 10:12 am

Aurantiaco wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

A number of people from both the "Boeing Fanboys" and "Airbus Fanboys" groups on this forum could learn a lot from both the Boeing and Airbus classy birthday videos towards each other.

Bricktop

Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Typical Airbus fanboy comment. Airbus did it first. :roll:

:rotfl:

Seriously, a nice job by both. Extra points to Airbus though for having JL at the end. Write the book already, John!
Last edited by Bricktop on Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickNRoll

Fri May 31, 2019 11:00 am

Matt6461 wrote:

I don't doubt the business is ruthless idea. It is more likely Bombardier talked to Airbus than the other way around though.

Aurantiaco

Fri May 31, 2019 11:26 am

paullam wrote:
Aurantiaco wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Some posters on this forum could really learn something from that video... :duck:

Sad but true ;)

frmrCapCadet

Fri May 31, 2019 11:54 am

Matt6461 wrote:

I am not sure in which forum this needs discussing. The history and development of corporations affects all of us for good and bad. Europe still lays claim to stakeholders as well as owners having rights. Patents, copyrights, and limited liability have through co-option turned into things that were not anticipated nor intended by the writers of the constitution.

PixelPilot

Fri May 31, 2019 1:25 pm

Congratz airbus.
The A330 is one of my all time favorites to travel on.

william

Fri May 31, 2019 1:29 pm

These are two corporations going at each other day after day. One has to respect their main competitor, as the Boeing CEO stated, its makes you better.

Its only on Anet where some posters treat the Boeing/ Airbus rivalry as a Games of Thrones espisode........................................................(pssst, this may shock some, but Games of Thrones is not real :shock:: ).

musman9853

Re: Boeing YouTube:

Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Very nice! I don’t think it’s entirely surprising, it’s only on the internet where we have a sports team tribal mentality about corporations. I’m sure if any of the employees from either side were to meet with the others they would get on absolutely fine.

Still, good to show it publicly.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sure some people work for both of them over the course of thier careers

Revelation

Fri May 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Bricktop wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Typical Airbus fanboy comment. Airbus did it first. :roll:

:rotfl:

Seriously, a nice job by both. Extra points to Airbus though for having JL at the end. Write the book already, John!

Ahh, a rare Fabrice Bregier sighting.

Turns out the competitor he should have been worrying about really wasn't Boeing.

DALMD80

Fri May 31, 2019 3:41 pm

Nice. Plenty of points to Boeing for class.

Aircellist

Fri May 31, 2019 4:04 pm

Cool to see many languages used in both videos, but… Boeing had a few people speak French in their video. Airbus, no one, including Brégier…

WayexTDI

Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 pm

Aircellist wrote:
Cool to see many languages used in both videos, but… Boeing had a few people speak French in their video. Airbus, no one, including Brégier…

Maybe because Boeing is an American company and that French is not an official language in the US??? Whereas Airbus is a European company and that French is one of the official language of Europe...

nycbjr

Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 pm

That was pretty cool! A few cringe worthy moments, but overall well done.

Nice to see both companies taking the time to congratulate one another (They've done this with first flights over social media for awhile).

hmmwv

Fri May 31, 2019 5:48 pm

While as aviation enthusiasts we definitely enjoyed this video, this is nothing but a marketing strategy. Just like the recent BMW video congrats to Dieter Zetsche's retirement.

Aircellist

Fri May 31, 2019 6:05 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Aircellist wrote:

Maybe because Boeing is an American company and that French is not an official language in the US??? Whereas Airbus is a European company and that French is one of the official language of Europe...

I heard Spanish, German and a few Asian languages I could not recognize on the Airbus video; those are not official languages in the USA either.

seabosdca

Fri May 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Maybe, just maybe, there are humans working at these companies who feel actual emotions, some of which are on display in these videos?

Most things companies do are oriented toward the bottom line and subject to sophisticated analysis. Once in a while, the humanity comes out. I think that's what we're seeing here, not some game of 4-D chess.

In any case, I'm glad that each OEM is there to hold the other accountable. The barriers to entry in airliner manufacturing are so ridiculously high that it would be easy for the industry to fall into a near-monopoly situation. And if we think back over the past 50 years, each company has had some spectacular engineering achievements.

A300
757/767
A320
747-400
A330
737NG
A380 (even if it was a financial flop)
A350

strfyr51

Fri May 31, 2019 6:28 pm

Since competition keeps you sharp and only makes you sharper? Then Why wouldn't Boeing Congratulate Airbus? For EVERY Boeing Model? Airbus proposes another Model bigger than the Boeing Footprint, When ALL you have to DO is wait for Boeing to Innovate! then Me TOO? Of course Boeing is happy they're here.
Hell!! I'm happy that Boeing HAS a Competitor worth their salt. Lockheed should have been that Competitor as WELL! It's not like they and Northrop-Grumman couldn't build Airliners.

ER757

Fri May 31, 2019 7:10 pm

SCFlyer wrote:
Aurantiaco wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

A number of people from both the "Boeing Fanboys" and "Airbus Fanboys" groups on this forum could learn a lot from both the Boeing and Airbus classy birthday videos towards each other.

Indeed - the silliness in some (OK most ) threads on here is out of hand. A & B appreciate the skills necessary to produce outstanding aircraft and so can tip their hat to the other team now and again as an acknowledgement. At air shows like Paris, when they both bring their newest, shiniest toys to show off, they routinely invite each other aboard to have a look-see.

PixelPilot

Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 pm

According to the internet the A380 is built from over four million parts. Not going to google other models from A or B but if you can't appreciate the absolute brilliance of the people that somehow managed to put it all together and if you hate ANY of the plane brands then you are just a fanboi, not a aviation fan.

Austin787

Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 pm

Nicely done by Boeing. Kudos for recognizing this isn't just about two aircraft manufacturers competing, but about improving aerospace industry.

I visited Boeing's factory in Everett, which included a visit to Boeing's flight museum. That museum also included information on some Airbus planes and how they shaped air travel.

AirKevin

Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
According to the internet the A380 is built from over four million parts. Not going to google other models from A or B but if you can't appreciate the absolute brilliance of the people that somehow managed to put it all together and if you hate ANY of the plane brands then you are just a fanboi, not a aviation fan.

Six million for the Boeing 747-400.

crimsonchin

Fri May 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Cute PR fluff.

No doubt Boeing respects the rival that pushed them so hard they rushed out a plane that subsequently got grounded and is under investigation, but I doubt both companies are holding hands around the campfire, especially at the top level.

ethernal

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:52 am

Matt6461 wrote:

I actually believe shareholders prefer the duopoly. A monopoly raises significant scrutiny and risks breakup or nationalized takeover .

As a parallel from a different industry, Intel kept AMD alive once or twice. I can guarantee you that if Airbus or Boeing ever fell into liquidation-level financial straights (unlikely given the duopoly), one would inject capital into the other without a second thought.

Checklist787

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:54 am

crimsonchin wrote:
Cute PR fluff.

No doubt Boeing respects the rival that pushed them so hard they rushed out a plane that subsequently got grounded and is under investigation, but I doubt both companies are holding hands around the campfire, especially at the top level.

Why do you say such bad things?
If you talk about the 737MAX8 crash there is a thread for that ... :spit:

mfranjic

Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:42 pm

……
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I agree with You, TheFlyingDisk, entirely. At the same time this was both expected and very polite. Congratulations Image.! Congratulations Image.!
……
Bricktop wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Typical Airbus fanboy comment. Airbus did it first...

You’re right !! We should be careful with those undercover fanboys. For the airliners.net community’s sake, it is necessary to expose them as soon as possible. Just take a look at this guy’s avatar! Oh Man! Airbus’ fanboy, that’s what he is ...
……
…………..…….Image
……
I recognize three types of Airbus’ fanboys on this forum: the first one are those who do not hide their deep sympathy … obsession with this aircraft’s manufacturer, like our member keesje. In the evening, when he goes to sleep, in one bed sleeps keesje, and in another one, near him, his custom-built model (1:20) of Airbus A322
……
In the second group there are couple of the members who are really hard to be discovered and you won’t see them oftenly saying something positive on Airbus, but deep in their hurts they nurse a kind of love for Airbus it is reallly hard to recognize. Well, I have recognized it! One of the most prominent members of this group is member Revelation.
……
In the third group are those who above all love aviation and express their true and sincere respect for literally every aircraft, but some things they are simply not able to accept and understand, such as the fact the story with the Airbus A380 is over! The other day one of them has written… Listen to this, please:

The first of the four new SQ’s Image.A380-844plus (MTOW: 578.000 kg / 1.274.272 lb) aircraft, with the single-class cabin configuration Y747 and powered by four Image.Trent XWB-84, three-shaft, high-bypass, turbofan engines (fan diameter: 2.997,2mm / 118,0 in; BPR: 9,6:1; engine architecture: 1F–8IPC=6HPC1HPT=2IPT–6LPT), OPR: 50,0:1, each rated at 374,54 kN / 38.192 kgf / 84.200, is expected to join the fleet in the August 2019. The aircraft will be cerftified by EASA’s regional office in Singapore (opened on 11. Oct 2017) by the end of June, so far geting the principle approval of the African Civil Aviation Commission (AFCAC), Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC), the Russian Federal Agency for Air Transport (Rosaviatsiya) and The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) in Australia.

IMG.7 - Airbus A380-800 TCDS - Models and Engines

Oh Boy ... This guy really needs all our help he can get, and not community’s condemnation …

Revelation wrote:
… Ahh, a rare Fabrice Bregier sighting …

You're right, Revelation. You do not see him often, but when he appears then it is for the eternity. He was one of the crew members of the, now already legendary, A380 MSN 221 aircraft’s Nightlight to Venus in December 2016 …

…….Image

william wrote:
These are two corporations going at each other day after day. One has to respect their main competitor, as the Boeing CEO stated, its makes you better.

That’s the way honorable people behave; they try to do their job the best they can; consciously, selflessly and honestly. And they show their sincere and deep respect to their rivals and competitors.
……
……
When this aircraft first flew on 8. Feb 1933, who could have imagined how would the world of aviation look like today…
……
… just a little reminder of an historic moment …

On the video file above it is visible United Air LinesImage.247D; SN 1729, reg. NC13347, powered by two air-cooled, supercharged Image. R-1340-S1H1-G Wasp engines (eng. architecture: 9-cylinder, single-row, radial; eng. displacement: 1.343,8 c.i.d. / 22.021 ccm * bore: 5,75 in / 146,05 mm, stroke: 5,75 in / 146,05 mm), CR: 6,0:1, rated at 600 hp (608 PS) / 447 kW at 2.250 rpm on 6.200 ft / 1.890 m. The engines’ max. diameter was 51,75 in / 1.314,5 mm and dry weight 930 lb / 422 kg. The engine had two overhead valves per cylinder, single-speed centrifugal type supercharger (1:10 step-up). The fuel system comprised two-barrel Stromberg carburetors by which 91-octane gasoline was blended with the pressurized air and injected into the intake manifolds of the cylinders. The engines drove three-bladed Hamilton Standard controllable-pitch propellers through the 3:2 gear reduction.

In the background it is visible Air Algérie’s Image.737-8D6(WL); MSN 60749 / LN 5884, reg. 7T-VKM, cabin configuration C16 Y132, powered by two Image.CFM56-7B27E, twin-shaft, low-bypass, afterburning, turbofan engine (fan diameter: 61,0 in / 1.549,4 mm; BPR: (5,1-5,5):1; eng. architecture: 1F+3LPC–9HPC1HPT–4LPT), OPR: 32,7:1, rated at 121,44 kN / 12.383 kgf / 27.300 lbf, delivered on 28. Apr 2016. The aircraft first flew on 20. Apr 2016.

...Eighty-three years after the successful delivery in 1933, the world’s oldest Image.247D returned back to the Boeing Field in Seattle. The aircraft made the 15-minute flight from the PAE in Everett to the Museum of Flight at BFI in Seattle, under the command of Mike Carriker and copilot Chad Lundy. Mr. Carriker is also known as the chief test pilot on the Image.787 Dreamliner.

...To date, only four of these aircraft are still in existence: SN 1699, reg. CF-JRQ - National Museum of Science and Technology, Rockcliffe, Canada; SN 1722, reg. N18E - Science Museum store, Wroughton, UK; SN 1729, reg. N13347 - Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle, WA, USA and SN 1953, reg. NC13369 (marked as NR257Y) - National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C., USA.

...Built in 1933, Image.247D was the first recognized modern airliner at the time offering travelers speed and comfort in an all metal design.

...All I can say is: "What a beautiful and unique piece of the aviation history!"

Mario

Revelation

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:44 pm

mfranjic wrote:
In the second group there are couple of the members who are really hard to be discovered and you won’t see them oftenly saying something positive on Airbus, but deep in their hurts they nurse a kind of love for Airbus it is reallly hard to recognize. Well, I have recognized it! One of the most prominent members of this group is member Revelation.

Aww, I have been un-masked!

Perhaps I should not have been as bold to put such photos:

into my personal album?

Yet how could anyone resist such an innovative and powerful yet comfortable and efficient aircraft with such large jugs (I refer to engines, of course) with such a spectacular metallic paint job?

mfranjic wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Ahh, a rare Fabrice Bregier sighting …

You're right, Revelation. You do not see him often, but when he appears then it is for the eternity. He was one of the crew members of the, now already legendary, A380 MSN 221 aircraft’s Nightlight to Venus in December 2016 …

Yes, some would think the fates were not kind to him, but I've read a recent interview (that I cannot currently locate) where he says he is quite happy with his new position working in a different technological space with a lot more focus than his old job allowed.

BBJ777X

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:25 pm

When he says "short cut", is he referring to the MCAS?

ELBOB

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:42 am

crimsonchin wrote:

Oh I think they might well be very friendly at the top level. There's more money to be made in cooperating to split the market than in burning resources and competing fiercely to 'win' at each level. Note how each offers a 'reheated' alternative to the other at each level; A330Neo versus 787, Max versus A320Neo, 777X versus A350. So airlines don't get to choose clean-sheet versus clean-sheet. Nudge, wink, that'll save some development costs.

The duopoly serves them very well. It's appalling and should never have been allowed to form. For once, I'm actually cheering for China.

rigo

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:25 am

As I always wondered, since both Airbus and Boeing respect each other and acknowledge each other's excellence, why on Earth do so many so-called enthusiasts have to embrace the childish Boeing Bashing or Anti Airbus fanboyism? What is so bad about having two manufacturers building incredible flying machines rather than just one?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos